DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Yea! School starts today! First class of the day, History of Rock and Roll! Looking forward to that one.

Hey Madge, nice horse. What breed is he?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Yea! School starts today! First class of the day, History of Rock and Roll! Looking forward to that one.

Hey Madge, nice horse. What breed is he?
That sounds like fun - enjoy!

He's a part-bred Dales. If you aren't familiar with native British ponies, Dales are usually black but Charlie's dad is blue roan. His mum is a coloured logging pony, and he was bred (so I'm told) to make a nice-looking, well-made little horse with a very laid-back attitude. Seems to have worked. He has a very typical Dales head, neat and delicate with a white stripe.

Here's the rest of him, the day he arrived at mine last year. Doing what he does best :)
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post

He's a part-bred Dales. If you aren't familiar with native British ponies, Dales are usually black but Charlie's dad is blue roan. His mum is a coloured logging pony, and he was bred (so I'm told) to make a nice-looking, well-made little horse with a very laid-back attitude. Seems to have worked. He has a very typical Dales head, neat and delicate with a white stripe.

Here's the rest of him, the day he arrived at mine last year. Doing what he does best :)
He sure is a good looking boy!

I can't claim to know much about British ponies. My family does mostly Arabians but have had a few Appaloosas and even a Quarter Horse. I really like horses, but my allergies act up if I even get too close.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He sure is a good looking boy!

I can't claim to know much about British ponies. My family does mostly Arabians but have had a few Appaloosas and even a Quarter Horse. I really like horses, but my allergies act up if I even get too close.
Thanks! I have a very high opinion of Appaloosas, never known one that wasn't a really nice person. Arabians are popular over here, but there aren't that many Quarter Horses, although a breeder friend of mine has a rather handsome stallion.

Dales and Highlands are my favourite native British ponies. Chunky and hairy - bit like me.

I'm sorry you're allergic, but it's probably cheaper that way.

Have you sorted out your problem with your landlord, by the way?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Have you sorted out your problem with your landlord, by the way?
I'm actually getting ready to call a lawyer in a few minutes. I've already spoken with one, and he referred one to me that I should get in contact with. The one I spoke with did say that since we have done nothing to be in default with our lease, he cannot default on the lease and kick us out.

I really did not want to have to go the legal route, but after numerous attempts to get this straightened out with both the landlord and the owners, I have been left with no other choice. My wife and daughter don't deserve to be victims of this stupidity and ridiculousness, and I refuse to stand by while he attempts to put us out on the street.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

I'm sorry you're having to deal with it, especially in that way. Strikes me as entirely unnecessary hassle for you and your family.

What goes around comes around, as they say. I hope karma bites him on the arse.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Playing in 2 bands, gigging like mad, both band writing tunes, learning, counting, head spinning, playing, enjoying.. not bad for 50 plus..

Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Miguel Cabrera is really, really good at hitting a baseball.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
gigging like mad,...
I'm not doing much drumming these days Abe :)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I'm not doing much drumming these days Abe :)
Henri!!! You back!!!??? Nice to hear from you...

I know this has been a period of change transition for you. I hope it is going smoothly and you are back to your killer groove soon.

I'm sort of off and on here lately, so not completely up to speed on developments.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I take it you're a horsey type, longgun?
My family raised / bred horses for years, but that all went away when my Grandfather passed when I was a toddler. Wish I knew more, but nowadays, they are extremely expensive "toys" that require more time than I have...............One day..........

Quote:
I'm actually getting ready to call a lawyer in a few minutes. I've already spoken with one, and he referred one to me that I should get in contact with. The one I spoke with did say that since we have done nothing to be in default with our lease, he cannot default on the lease and kick us out.

I really did not want to have to go the legal route, but after numerous attempts to get this straightened out with both the landlord and the owners, I have been left with no other choice. My wife and daughter don't deserve to be victims of this stupidity and ridiculousness, and I refuse to stand by while he attempts to put us out on the street.
Stinks that it had to come down to that.......................good luck and hopefully everything works out.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I don't know if it's the same over there as it is here in the UK but for a landlord to actually be able to evict somebody, you have to default on the rent or show intentional damage/destruction of the property. With my limited knowledge, it seems like you have a very good legal case and the burden of proof is on the landlord to demonstrate that you have been in breach of any tenancy agreement. Hopefully, this'll be a warning to the landlord that you're not a fool and don't suffer fools gladly.

This thread is bringing back memories of my riding days a long time ago!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Henri!!! You back!!!??? Nice to hear from you...

I know this has been a period of change transition for you. I hope it is going smoothly and you are back to your killer groove soon.

I'm sort of off and on here lately, so not completely up to speed on developments.

Yes Abe, I'm back :)

Yeah, plenty of transition indeed, new part of the UK, new house (very, very soon) and a new job, I just had my first day today :)

I haven't done much drumming these last few months, but I did jam on a Guru kit last week when I visited Andy and he recorded most of it and put a very little teaser clip on YT of him and I on a thread.

Here it is Abe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UeO...=youtu.be&hd=1 No killer groove though :)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, plenty of transition ....Here it is Abe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UeO...=youtu.be&hd=1 No killer groove though :)
Oh sure, its all there! I spied a little half time shuffle and some Bonham triplets there... v nicely excecuted. How nice that you and the Andyman hooked up..looks like you both had a good time. Was Andy teaching you how to convert a samba groove into power rock ??

Well, I hope you settle down soon. Someday when Im forced to fly BA instead of Lufthansa and find myself in a godawful place called Heathrow, I shall seek you lads out. Andy's promised me some fine wine.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

You're always welcome here in the UK mate.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Miguel Cabrera is really, really good at hitting a baseball.
Yes insanely good. Difficult to pitch around him. He'll hit it from any part of the plate to any field. Glad to see his personal issues are hopefully behind him. No doubt the best hitter in the sport over the last 5 years. I wonder what Ted Williams would think of him? Probably his only weakness is he could take more base on balls and a few less strikeouts. No speed threat either.

Funny, our star Pedro Alvarez, even though the NL HR leader at 31, really stinks otherwise. .300 OBP and strikes out like mad. 155 times so far and over 500+ times in 3.5 seasons of pro ball. Ted Williams over 19 seasons K'd only 709 times. ha!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Someday when Im forced to fly BA instead of Lufthansa and find myself in a godawful place called Heathrow, I shall seek you lads out.
See if you can make it on 12 & 13 October. That way you will not only meet Andy, Henri and Duncan but also Larry, Ben (the one with the cloak), me and Davo London, Magenta, David Floegel plus various occasional posters and lurkers.

Also Jojo Mayer, Omar Hakim, Chris Coleman, Pete Lockett, Russ Miller, Gerald Heywood, Phil Gould and Young Dave Weckl will be there - I imagine you've sipped cups of tea with most of those guys at some stage :)

Back update: physio + the exercises given have helped tons. Good old western medicine with no bone crackin' new age treatments. I've gone berserk and booked business class to ensure that the flights won't be torture sessions. That will be my life savings gone and I shall be forced to live on the streets on my return to Australia. To survive I'll be forced to offer to busk Ravel's Bolero, Jingo Ba La and In the Air Tonight on bongos for spare change. But it'll all be worth it to meet you guys!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Back update: physio + the exercises given have helped tons. Good old western medicine with no bone crackin' new age treatments. I've gone berserk and booked business class to ensure that the flights won't be torture sessions. That will be my life savings gone and I shall be forced to live on the streets on my return to Australia. To survive I'll be forced to offer to busk Ravel's Bolero, Jingo Ba La and In the Air Tonight on bongos for spare change. But it'll all be worth it to meet you guys!
That's great news! Hopefully, plenty of time for healing to continue before you leave.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Just think of it this way. You're renting somewhere in the air that moves that is probably nicer than my flat!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
See if you can make it on 12 & 13 October. That way you will not only meet Andy, Henri and Duncan but also Larry, Ben (the one with the cloak), me and Davo London, Magenta, David Floegel plus various occasional posters and lurkers.

Also Jojo Mayer, Omar Hakim, Chris Coleman, Pete Lockett, Russ Miller, Gerald Heywood, Phil Gould and Young Dave Weckl will be there - I imagine you've sipped cups of tea with most of those guys at some stage :)
The main attraction would be to meet the denizens of DW in person! Andy, Henri, that man with the double barreled shotgun on his shoulder, Jonny Sumo and the others...You would be an amazing bonus, because Oz is one place that never seems to be on my iten..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Renegade

Quote:
That's great news! Hopefully, plenty of time for healing to continue before you leave.
I've been told that sometimes bulging discs have no symptoms at all for years and then can flare up. It feels like there'll be a bit of luck involved (one way or another) but I can keep doing physio and the stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Just think of it this way. You're renting somewhere in the air that moves that is probably nicer than my flat!
Hehe - ditto me until last year's renovations. I never minded modest digs - as long as it's clean, has an internet connection, safe electricity, sealed against wind and rain, a toilet, shower, kitchen sink, strove and bedroom that can be shaded. From 2000 to 2010 I lived in a place where the stove was a portable cooktop. Salad in the summer, steamed veggies in the winter.

Now I live more salubriously and I'm gaining weight! Something to be said for the Spartan ethic.

Quote:
The main attraction would be to meet the denizens of DW in person! Andy, Henri, that man with the double barreled shotgun on his shoulder, Jonny Sumo and the others...You would be an amazing bonus, because Oz is one place that never seems to be on my iten..
Yes, the tyranny of distance http://www.360travelguide.com/Australia/flighttimes.asp.

I'm yet to see much of Oz myself, but I'm planning to! Maximum 5 hours in a plane :)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Was Andy teaching you how to convert a samba groove into power rock ??

Well, I hope you settle down soon. Someday when Im forced to fly BA instead of Lufthansa and find myself in a godawful place called Heathrow, I shall seek you lads out. Andy's promised me some fine wine.
Andy's always using pseudo latin beats in a rock setting - why not? It suites my "fake it & cheat" style perfectly :)

Abe, as you & I both know, there's much worse airports than Heathrow. Fine wine is indeed promised!

Quote:
Great news on the back Grea :) Holy crap! Business class from Oz - jeez, you could buy a new Guru kit for less (oh, you already have ;)

Quote:
Make it happen Abe. I know you can, if you really want to :)

Quote:
I've been told that sometimes bulging discs have no symptoms at all for years and then can flare up. It feels like there'll be a bit of luck involved (one way or another) but I can keep doing physio and the stretches.
It's just a new way of existing Grea. You get used to being dealt a bad one from time to time. My days of jumping from the top of the wardrobe in a crotchless spiderman outfit are long behind me ;) ;) ;)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

And thank heaven for that, Andy.

The spartan lifestyle is appealing. It's my dream to live in a small house or hut on the west coast of Scotland, north of Mallaig with a view of the inner Hebrides. As long as it had an Internet connection and a wood-burning stove (although getting wood would be an issue). I like my new place but it's verging on the 'rougher' side of town and looks onto a main road. One day, I just want to see the sea and have a boat where I can pretend to fish.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Yes insanely good. Difficult to pitch around him. He'll hit it from any part of the plate to any field. Glad to see his personal issues are hopefully behind him. No doubt the best hitter in the sport over the last 5 years. I wonder what Ted Williams would think of him? Probably his only weakness is he could take more base on balls and a few less strikeouts. No speed threat either.

Funny, our star Pedro Alvarez, even though the NL HR leader at 31, really stinks otherwise. .300 OBP and strikes out like mad. 155 times so far and over 500+ times in 3.5 seasons of pro ball. Ted Williams over 19 seasons K'd only 709 times. ha!
Yeah, Larry. Miggy can't run and he's a terrible defensive 3B. But what he can do with that bat is amazing.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
How nice that you and the Andyman hooked up..looks like you both had a good time. Was Andy teaching you how to convert a samba groove into power rock ??
Yes, it was very cool to hang out with Andy & Yvonne....

... and yes, Andy was showing me a latin pattern turned into a rock beat, very efficient indeed :)

Quote:
If you get the same treatment I had last week, there's much much more than fine wine :-))

Quote:
Indeed Abe, this year LDS is not to be missed, it will be memorable, if you can drag yourself to London this October, you won't regret it, that's for sure....

... I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Quote:
Good to hear about the physio and that you're getting better :)

Yes, on your return you might be on the streets, playing for beer money, but my God, it's worth it :-))

I'll certainly will buy you a drink... or two ... or three ... or.... ??? (I won't offer you a "cappuccino" you already got one)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
... It's my dream to live in a small house or hut on the west coast of Scotland, north of Mallaig with a view of the inner Hebrides. As long as it had an Internet connection and a wood-burning stove (although getting wood would be an issue)...
With a decent internet connection you should have no problem finding the "right sort" of web sites to facilitate getting wood.

Oh. Is that my coat?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
With a decent internet connection you should have no problem finding the "right sort" of web sites to facilitate getting wood.

Oh. Is that my coat?
*insert picture of me rolling on the floor laughing*
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Great news on the back Grea :) Holy crap! Business class from Oz - jeez, you could buy a new Guru kit for less (oh, you already have ;)
You forgot the duty charged when anything over $1k is bought out of Australia. Apparently they call it "free trade" but I haven't yet worked out what that means.

A few years ago we went to war in Iraq to secure a free trade agreement with the Bush administration. Yet when we want to buy anything from US websites, they raise the price 30% or more once they realise the buyer's from Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
It's just a new way of existing Grea. You get used to being dealt a bad one from time to time. My days of jumping from the top of the wardrobe in a crotchless spiderman outfit are long behind me ;) ;) ;)
Indeed, it's a sad day when you have to revert to crotched suits again. Be strong, Andrew.

If I can muster enough discipline to do the exercise and get enough learning about the mechanics and the dos and don'ts of my particular back condition, I think I can minimise that boom-bust cycle. In other words, I'm in trouble!

Quote:
One day, I just want to see the sea and have a boat where I can pretend to fish.
Just stay where you are and chances are that the water views will one day come to you.

Quote:
I'll certainly will buy you a drink... or two ... or three ... or.... ??? (I won't offer you a "cappuccino" you already got one)
I'm a cheap drunk. After three drinks you will get no sense from me at all. It's been a long time but I'd probably need another three to get there.

Quote:
Here's a fun trick - if you're on someone's PC search the browser history for "porn" - it's hilarious. Not that I ever tell anyone else of my findings ... it's purely for my own quiet amusement.

:)
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Oh. Is that my coat?
Go home James, you're drunk.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I.

I have a fondness for animals,especially horses..and that is just one beautiful animal.

I've never had the time or money to own one,so I've just ridden was available at different riding academys,which is hit an miss at best.

Remember I live in Staten Island,so keeping a horse is super expensive,and the're very limited trails to ride.

You must be very proud to own horse that beautiful.Cheers

Steve B
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

In Soviet Russia, horse owns you.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
You must be very proud to own horse that beautiful.Cheers
Gosh thanks, Steve - I am, and I can't believe how lucky I am to have him.

Quote:
Like cats over here!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Catherine the Great can attest to this......
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Catherine the Great can attest to this......
Chortle! .............................................
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Overplaying bass players... scum of the earth... gawdamn closet guitar players... should all be lined up and shot... with moongel pellets.

...and people think drummers overplay! BAH!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Overplaying bass players... scum of the earth... gawdamn closet guitar players... should all be lined up and shot... with moongel pellets.

I have felt that pain before.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:38 AM
Renegade

Quote:

Good gig, Abe? :)

Agree about overplaying bassists. It's important to lay back to give them room for their sonic explorations and debonair runs.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

I had a horse once. His name was Copper. He was an Anglo-Arabian horse. 3 parts quarter and 1 part Arabian. He was very spirited and he could canter gracefully; a dream to ride. Then one day he got a mind of his own and wouldn't listen to me; he began galloping aimlessly across the desert with me on his back. I couldn't control him and he ran right along a barbed wire fence. He got so close to it that the fence caught me with its barbs and I was thrown off while the horse galloped away. Luckily I didn't get hurt, We got rid of the horse shortly after that and I never owned a horse again. I still like horses though.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUYfzaU9wYQ

Go Church Lady! Go!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good gig, Abe? :)

Agree about overplaying bassists. It's important to lay back to give them room for their sonic explorations and debonair runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I have felt that pain before.
I've finally cracked it. There are telltale personality traits that musicians could pick up before comitting to a gig.
A guy who is buzzing with nervous energy and who's singular musical goal is to blow the other bassists out of the water..? Say, thanks, but no thanks.

Bassists HAVE to be laconic, laid back, people who smile quietly and say nothing..not people who stomp on the stage monitor and wave their hair in circles at the audience. Nope, sorry. Those people need to be sent to therapy.