DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Great pick up!!

Excellent live. Very clever and highly entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Joe Dolcie's Shaddup You Face, which is pretty tragic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs
Pretty tragic? I was a kid when that came out. It made be cringe then and it makes me cringe now. Didn't it hold sales records for the most successful single from Oz or something? Christ.....how???
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Oz rock!

I stand corrected - Shaddup You Face was UTTERLY tragic :)

Might be time for some hard rock ...

Okay, we already already have ACDC, Midnight Oil, etc but surely Rose Tattoo were known overseas! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL4DSLd3KZU

When I saw them at the Stagedoor Tavern I was a bit, um, fragile and sitting at a table near the stage ... I can still remember my stomach bouncing up and down with the bass and kick drum. They were LOUD.

Pete Wells was Tatt's slide player and he originally came from Buffalo, arguably, Oz's first metal band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHKMH5aL4bE

More recently, we have Grinspoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UB8zvfFXc

On the stadium rock side there's Noiseworks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rhqxGk_x4 ... their bassist Steve Balbi came from Rupert B (post #5). Great bass player. I once did a fill in at a songwriting session with some players in his circle. They were about 10x better musos than me so that was a buzz :)

Then there's Regurgitator who were more pop / indie but they could still rock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5oC-cickHM

I'd better not mention Wolfmother or MFB will beat me up lol
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 AM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I stand corrected - Shaddup You Face was UTTERLY tragic :)

Might be time for some hard rock ...

Okay, we already already have ACDC, Midnight Oil, etc but surely Rose Tattoo were known overseas! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL4DSLd3KZU

When I saw them at the Stagedoor Tavern I was a bit, um, fragile and sitting at a table near the stage ... I can still remember my stomach bouncing up and down with the bass and kick drum. They were LOUD.

Pete Wells was Tatt's slide player and he originally came from Buffalo, arguably, Oz's first metal band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHKMH5aL4bE

More recently, we have Grinspoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UB8zvfFXc

On the stadium rock side there's Noiseworks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rhqxGk_x4 ... their bassist Steve Balbi came from Rupert B (post #5). Great bass player. I once did a fill in at a songwriting session with some players in his circle. They were about 10x better musos than me so that was a buzz :)

Then there's Regurgitator who were more pop / indie but they could still rock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5oC-cickHM

I'd better not mention Wolfmother or MFB will beat me up lol
Buffalo: yes. (not known)
Wolfmother: yes (known)
Rose Tatoo: yes: (known)

there are a lot of links supplied. i don't get to hear them all, but i try to hear two or three from every post.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
Rose Tatoo: yes: (known)
Was it the Gunner's version of Nice Boys that got "the Tatts" known in the States or did they have some sort of exposure before that?
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Was it the Gunner's version of Nice Boys that got "the Tatts" known in the States or did they have some sort of exposure before that?
sorry so late. i have heard the name before, but not known the music. same with Australian Crawl. Wolfmother and Silverchair were very popular. Wolfmother's single was even featured in a commercial a few years ago (can't remember for what) cel phone ?

not sure when i heard the name Rose Tatto, but i think it was before GNR, if that's what you mean by Gunners (Guns N Roses). it was probably known here beforehand and GNR picked it up as an underground song they used to play back in the day.

local (North Carolina) heavyweights Nantucket did AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top" before AC/DC themselves did - i THINK. they toured together a lot along with Mother's Finest (the mightiest band you've never heard of). it's still my favorite version.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
local (North Carolina) heavyweights Nantucket did AC/DC's "Long Way To The Top" before AC/DC themselves did - i THINK. they toured together a lot along with Mother's Finest (the mightiest band you've never heard of). it's still my favorite version.
Unfunk, the song was written and first played by AccaDacca.

Another cover ... an Oz institution - John Farnham - did a cover of Long Way to the Top. Somehow he does an extremely well-played and faithful cover that almost completely fails to capture the spirit of the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK3pwB2Foto

How could this happen? Because these are his roots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0c55lXRAeg

His second wave of popularity with a more grownup image and style is still pure middle class pro-establishment (even with pat anti-war message), unlike the working class bad boys of ACDC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkOZTSvrHs&ob=av2e ... neat track, though.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Unfunk, the song was written and first played by AccaDacca.

Another cover ... an Oz institution - John Farnham - did a cover of Long Way to the Top. Somehow he does an extremely well-played and faithful cover that almost completely fails to capture the spirit of the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK3pwB2Foto

How could this happen? Because these are his roots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0c55lXRAeg

His second wave of popularity with a more grownup image and style is still pure middle class pro-establishment (even with pat anti-war message), unlike the working class bad boys of ACDC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkOZTSvrHs&ob=av2e ... neat track, though.
of course AC/DC wrote it, but i thought by some odd workings Nantucket had recorded it first (as Joe Cocker released George's "Something" first). please forgive my mistruth.

the problem with Farnham's cover is the rhythm guitar. he's missing the upswing of the high part of the chord.

re: Sadie - yer silly. hee hee. nothing wrong with a nice dose of Peter Noone inspired pop. Mrs. Brown did indeed have a lovely daughter. perhaps the guitarist needs a dose of this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC53PI-PJA 3 of the nastiest layered guitars ever.

hee hee. yer silly.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
of course AC/DC wrote it, but i thought by some odd workings Nantucket had recorded it first (as Joe Cocker released George's "Something" first).
I didn't know that. Nice cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
the problem with Farnham's cover is the rhythm guitar. he's missing the upswing of the high part of the chord.
Plus the glassy Eddie van Halen licks in what's supposed to dirty RnR, and the slick backup vocs ... and, while John's a strong singer, he doesn't have Bon's cool rawness that suited ACDC so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
perhaps the guitarist needs a dose of this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWC53PI-PJA 3 of the nastiest layered guitars ever.
Love the bassline in the intro.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post



Plus the glassy Eddie van Halen licks in what's supposed to dirty RnR, and the slick backup vocs ... and, while John's a strong singer, he doesn't have Bon's cool rawness that suited ACDC so well.


this is true.

jkhvutcutbibi
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Oz rock!

I forgot a good group, Do Re Mi, who were pretty unconventional but somehow this song became a local hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbf5gD6S2W8 ... another neat tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aain0KKHag

If it's late at night and you're feeling "relaxed", you might enjoy The Necks, who play something that could be called "trance jazz": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWvNKZYjvE
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 AM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I forgot a good group, Do Re Mi, who were pretty unconventional but somehow this song became a local hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbf5gD6S2W8 ... another neat tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aain0KKHag

If it's late at night and you're feeling "relaxed", you might enjoy The Necks, who play something that could be called "trance jazz": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWvNKZYjvE
i very much like the perspectives of the architecture in the street scenes at the beginning of the first one.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Oz rock!

went back for the Youthi Yindi and Crossfire, which i missed the first time around : )

good stuff.

there is a wealth of info here and i thank you for providing. one could take several lifetimes to get to the bottom of all these good grooves.

good on ya.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,636
Default Re: Oz rock!

A great Ayers Rock tune with a very Aussie flavour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzi0bF5Jc8
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
drstrangefunk's Avatar
drstrangefunk drstrangefunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Carolina del Norte
Posts: 435
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
A great Ayers Rock tune with a very Aussie flavour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzi0bF5Jc8
very nice.

i mean verrrrrrrrrrrry nice.
__________________
The Most Beautiful Words In The English Language Are: We Might Could.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,636
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
very nice.

i mean verrrrrrrrrrrry nice.
Yup. Saw them a couple of times and they were a super hot band live. Mark Kennedy on drums was one of our fusion pioneers. They sound Weather Report and Steely Dan fans - not for everyone but not miles from my sweet spot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbVV9p2dEk
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream

Last edited by Anon La Ply; 03-26-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
drstrangefunk's Avatar
drstrangefunk drstrangefunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Carolina del Norte
Posts: 435
Default Re: Oz rock!

it reminds me of several things that i can't put my finger on. that best case scenario of Familiar without being Derivative. might just be the mix that's familiar...who produced it ?
__________________
The Most Beautiful Words In The English Language Are: We Might Could.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM
drstrangefunk's Avatar
drstrangefunk drstrangefunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Carolina del Norte
Posts: 435
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Yup. Saw them a couple of times and they were a super hot band live. Mark Kennedy on drums was one of our fusion pioneers. They sound Weather Report and Steely Dan fans - not for everyone but not miles from my sweet spot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbVV9p2dEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqa7YlbKGVk

like this one too. this is an example of something that i would usually call "meandering without a purpose", but this group has such a good feel about things that every note is a delight.

so i guess the real question is...why did you hold out on the Ayers Rock for so long : )

i know...a personal secret that you didn't have the heart to turn over to the peanut gallery. : )

i can dig it.
__________________
The Most Beautiful Words In The English Language Are: We Might Could.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,636
Default Re: Oz rock!

Glad you like it, Doc! There's a link to the studio version of Big Red Rock buried earlier on. It wasn't too popular with the peanut gallery haha. Maybe too much 70s fusion for comfort?

They were maybe the most musically sophisticated of the popular Oz rock bands. In a way, you could say they played "more American". Oz rock is very straight up - no nonsense, not much ornamentation or flash. You could tell the difference when bands from UK and US came out - extra chops, syncopation, shading and frills generally. But Mark Kennedy was usually touted as "world class" and I'd agree. Deadly player.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,636
Default Re: Oz rock!

Mackenzie Theory - Oz answer to Mahavishnu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbThV6Bwsq0

and the Canterbury scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRusg_cVuA

Cleis Pearce on viola is a legend.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
drstrangefunk's Avatar
drstrangefunk drstrangefunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Carolina del Norte
Posts: 435
Default Re: Oz rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Mackenzie Theory - Oz answer to Mahavishnu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbThV6Bwsq0

and the Canterbury scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRusg_cVuA

Cleis Pearce on viola is a legend.
those links were blocked
__________________
The Most Beautiful Words In The English Language Are: We Might Could.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 AM
CCdrummer CCdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 353
Default Re: Oz rock!

Why, oh why, does noone ever mention these guys? I think I am their biggest (and perhaps only) fan on two continents. I just love the way Clifford Hoad attacks the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgyfIOTiV4

One of my all time favorite lyrics in this tune

I'm a rogue, I'm a rebel
F*ck you and your nine to five
I'm livin' on overdrive
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM
CCdrummer CCdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 353
Default Re: Oz rock!

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH! Its happening again! I had expected at this point to have several replies like "you are right, that was a kickass band", but again nothing. All a matter of opinion I guess.

Still, I am going to give this thread a shameless bump in the hope that the Kings of the Sun will at least get some of the recognition they deserve. (or at least the recognition I think they deserve.)
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,636
Default Re: Oz rock!

Clint, I don't really take my music with that kind of swagger any more - can imagine being keen in my teens though.

Not sure if I've posted this but I love it to death - from Midnight Oil's first album, Nothing Lost Nothing Gained. guitar and drums are huge ... crank it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKatbQfjPIU

Huge bummer about the links being blocked, doc :(
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Hellwyck Hellwyck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bolton
Posts: 18
Default Re: Oz rock!

Even tho' he was born in Wales, I'm going for the original singer with Accadacca (and the guy on the "Can I Sit Next To You, Girl?" vid):.

Dave Evans: Little Headbanger

Still writing, still touring, still cool as hell!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,636
Default Re: Oz rock!

I think I've posted this song before but this performance is fantastic - highly recommended ... 10 min live performance of Cthulu by Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons. I saw them put on a performance like this a couple of times when they were playing the traps - it blew me away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buOUGfjbsys
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 711
Default Re: Oz rock!

On Wednesday evening I took my family to see Paul Kelly performing in Sydney.

This is one of the songs that he performed, and one which is currently earworming me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNoINHdM5WA
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com