DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 AM

Default Looking for great maple snare for studio. Rock, pop, country.

I have a 14x6.5 Black Beauty that I've had for years and love. I tracked this guy other day and he had some old Ludwig maple and it sounded great. What's a good versatile maple snare?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Looking for great maple snare for studio. Rock, pop, country.

I have a Mapex Black Panther Phat Bob that is amazing! It's 14x7, 12mm maple that delivers a phenomenal sound. Tunes from high to low with ease and can cover all the bases you're asking. I believe it's 7 ply. I have a Evans Genera dry head on batter and a Evans hazy 300 reso. There's a reason why they call it "Phat" Bob. Enjoy the hunt but you most definitely need to check this bad boy out.

Steve
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
I tracked this guy other day and he had some old Ludwig maple and it sounded great.
The new ones sound good too. I sold my DW Craviotto because I like my 14x6.5 Ludwig Classic maple much more. No offense to Craviotto, I think it was the DW part I did not like. DW cut the edges and beds on all the Craviottos and sure enough, it sounded like a DW maple snare. Never liked any DW maple snare I have ever owned for some reason.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraider43 View Post
I have a Mapex Black Panther Phat Bob that is amazing! It's 14x7, 12mm maple that delivers a phenomenal sound. Tunes from high to low with ease and can cover all the bases you're asking. I believe it's 7 ply. I have a Evans Genera dry head on batter and a Evans hazy 300 reso. There's a reason why they call it "Phat" Bob. Enjoy the hunt but you most definitely need to check this bad boy out.

Steve
Thanks man I just checked out some videos, sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
The new ones sound good too. I sold my DW Craviotto because I like my 14x6.5 Ludwig Classic maple much more. No offense to Craviotto, I think it was the DW part I did not like. DW cut the edges and beds on all the Craviottos and sure enough, it sounded like a DW maple snare. Never liked any DW maple snare I have ever owned for some reason.
Just checked it out too. That is sweet.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

Great maple snares? I would recommend Ludwig Classic Maples from the standard builders. For a few more bucks, but not outrageous, Nobel and Cooley maple snares.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Ditto on the Noble and Cooley suggestion.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

When considering maple, & especially in a recording application, also consider purpleheart and ash. Both bring all the maple tones to the party, but add that little bit more palate to choose from.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
When considering maple, & especially in a recording application, also consider purpleheart and ash. Both bring all the maple tones to the party, but add that little bit more palate to choose from.
I have never seen purpleheart or ash. Who makes those?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Seeing that we have no idea about what your budget is , I will offer suggestions on a budgetary tier basis.

Under $350.00 - Tama SLP maple is a good choice - well made, nice finish and good hardware.

Mid price - Ludwig Classic maple - very underrated drums, really wide tuning range and very versatile.

Mid to High End -
Ludwig Legacy Classic - my personal favourite Ludwig wood shell snare drum, classic sound, can be fat or crisp.
Noble & Cooley CD maple - superb ply shell snares

High End -
Noble & Cooley SS - classic solid shell maple snare drums. These almost single handedly started the boutique snare drum craze in the 80's.
Craviotto - a classic , superb craftsmanship, great value, these along with the Noble and Cooley are universally well thought of.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraider43 View Post
I have never seen purpleheart or ash. Who makes those?
A number of companies, including us :) We find that ash, & especially English ash, has such a wonderful balance & long note, you can make them do pretty much anything. Purpleheart is essentially maple on steroids. Actually, more "maple" than maple if I'm making any sense. Of course, performance depends on wood quality, construction, & a host of other stuff. The good stuff isn't cheap.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
A number of companies, including us :) We find that ash, & especially English ash, has such a wonderful balance & long note, you can make them do pretty much anything. Purpleheart is essentially maple on steroids. Actually, more "maple" than maple if I'm making any sense. Of course, performance depends on wood quality, construction, & a host of other stuff. The good stuff isn't cheap.
Oh I know the good stuff isn't cheap. Had a Korina wood Gibson Flying V. Korina is the holy grail of electric guitars just like Brazilian Rosewood is the holy grail of acoustics. Thank you ex wife for destroying them both : (.

I'm gonna check out your Guru snares : )
Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM

I always liked the Pearl MCX Masters 6ply maple for a lower cost, budget friendly snare. Both the 5.5" and 6.5" versions I've tried are great.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM

+1 on the Tama SLP Classic Maple. I have one and it's so versatile. I use it literally for all genres. And of course it's nothing less than blast proof because it has Tama written on it
Old 08-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I would also throw black walnut in there, too, for the focus that it provides. An excellent wood for a studio drum. Big, fat, clean, and focused.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

Unix stave maple..giant sound, very articulate, lovely tone.

F
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Steve Jordan signature snare. One word: awesome and versatile.... Oh wait.... that was 2 ;)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 PM

I use a Maple Custom Absolute (14X5). Both woody and penetrating. Tunes easily, low or high. Great throw-off. Paid two beans used, and couldn't be happier with this drum.
Good luck, and have fun on the hunt.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 AM

Don't know if this might be helpful, but see if you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3En7Yfh3zaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfTlvKWlGI

EDIT: Oh, and this one -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Aj1U5WbSEk
Old 08-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Silver Member

I just tried a Tama Starphonic Maple snare the other day, and it blew me away. Definitely a very versatile, articulate drum. Give it a look see for sure.

Cheers!

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Tama starphonics,Tama SLP's are very good for their price point.

Ludwig classic maples are excellent drums,as is the Legacy 3 ply maple/poplar/maple shell.

If you can find a vintage Slingerland Artist model in 3 ply or steam bent maple,then thats also a great snare drum,as is the Hollywood Ace model.

Vintage Ludwig Jazzfestivals and superclassic models also sound great.

Niel Peart used an Artist for a very long time till he started playing DW.

Steve B
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyh View Post
Don't know if this might be helpful, but see if you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfTlvKWlGI
Wonderful :) 8 lug such a good choice too with that steam bent shell. Sounds exactly like a maple snare should, & some!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 AM

Headin to Sam Ash tomorrow to look at snares. The manager is a buddy of mine and gonna take some drum gear Iím not using as trade towards a great snare. Will report back.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Seeing that we have no idea about what your budget is , I will offer suggestions on a budgetary tier basis.

Under $350.00 - Tama SLP maple is a good choice - well made, nice finish and good hardware.

Mid price - Ludwig Classic maple - very underrated drums, really wide tuning range and very versatile.

Mid to High End -
Ludwig Legacy Classic - my personal favourite Ludwig wood shell snare drum, classic sound, can be fat or crisp.
Noble & Cooley CD maple - superb ply shell snares

High End -
Noble & Cooley SS - classic solid shell maple snare drums. These almost single handedly started the boutique snare drum craze in the 80's.
Craviotto - a classic , superb craftsmanship, great value, these along with the Noble and Cooley are universally well thought of.
Very nice list of drums. Consider a used Gretsch snare drum. These are often undervalued and you can get a mint drum for next to nothing.

GJS
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 PM

Brought my BB down to Ash to listen against other snares. Played every snare there and really dug this Gretsch 8x14 Mahogany snare called a Swampdog. The thing just sounds like a beast and really hit me. When I got back I went online and read about it and they talked about detuning it for a 70s sound. Not really my thing but tuned up it really sounds nice, not 70s at all. Anyway, they took a bunch of stuff I havenít used in years and I got the snare and 5 heads. Canít wait to record it.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Went to GC today and played all their snares too. Some really cool stuff. Grabbed a 6.5x14" maple Pearl Master. Fantastic sounding snare with die cast hoops. Now I have 3 snares. Should cover a lot of ground.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 AM

I've turned into one of those crazy forum people who reply to their own posts! :) Ok so we did some recording, the Gretsch was beautiful, the Pearl was horrible. Just to many funky overtones, to hard to deal with in a critical recording situation. So I returned it and went down to a local drum shop and was snooping around, asked the guy about a snare that could kind of round off the studio collection, maybe a maple. He showed me the maple snares, meh. Nothing really grabbed me, then he said everyone's favorite snare drum in the place was a Tama King Beat 5.5x14 steel snare. It was actually set up on a stand, he started to play it, I instantly fell in love. What an awesome snare. $199 with die cast hoops. Took it to the studio and threw it on the stand and started recording. Seriously one of the best snare drums I've ever recorded. Just perfect, even with the old ass head that came with it. We did a few different passes changing up the tension on the interior dampener, ever setting sounded fantastic. Just a great drum.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Engineers love the starphonics too apparently.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I've turned into one of those crazy forum people who reply to their own posts! :) Ok so we did some recording, the Gretsch was beautiful, the Pearl was horrible. Just to many funky overtones, to hard to deal with in a critical recording situation. So I returned it and went down to a local drum shop and was snooping around, asked the guy about a snare that could kind of round off the studio collection, maybe a maple. He showed me the maple snares, meh. Nothing really grabbed me, then he said everyone's favorite snare drum in the place was a Tama King Beat 5.5x14 steel snare. It was actually set up on a stand, he started to play it, I instantly fell in love. What an awesome snare. $199 with die cast hoops. Took it to the studio and threw it on the stand and started recording. Seriously one of the best snare drums I've ever recorded. Just perfect, even with the old ass head that came with it. We did a few different passes changing up the tension on the interior dampener, ever setting sounded fantastic. Just a great drum.
First of all - hi James, haven't seen you post in quite a while.
Everybody, James is a moderator on another forum, one of the largest (if not THE largest) pro audio forums on the planet.

Those lamenting the 'untimely exit' of member audiotech here would be wise to check out James' links and also go over to Gearslutz for some really good recording info and general knowledge. Hope I'm not making you uncomfortable James :)

Now for the snare...glad you found a snare that is working for you; it seems that Tama doesn't make a bad snare; at least I've never heard a bad one.

One thing to watch out for, and might explain the unfavourable experience you had with the Pearl snare : you must CRANK the snare side (resonant) head on any snare drum to get it to sound decent. Tune it up like a timbale...then higher...then even more. You should be a little worried about it....then you're in the ballpark. I find this especially true of deeper maple drums. If the resonant head is at medium tension, or close to the batter head, you can pretty much guarantee it will sound boxy and 'bonky' , it will feel rubbery and exhibit all kinds of weird overtones when trying to record it.

You may also find that tuning the resonant heads on ALL drums to yield better results; at least try this if you haven't already. Not nearly as high as the snare reso though, try about a third higher than the batter.

It is quite possible that the used Tama you bought had a properly tensioned (very tight) resonant head. As many members here will tell you , heads and tuning come before shell material and construction....

Neal

Last edited by evilg99; 08-20-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
First of all - hi James, haven't seen you post in quite a while.
Everybody, James is a moderator on another forum, one of the largest (if not THE largest) pro audio forums on the planet.

Those lamenting the 'untimely exit' of member audiotech here would be wise to check out James' links and also go over to Gearslutz for some really good recording info and general knowledge. Hope I'm not making you uncomfortable James :)

Now for the snare...glad you found a snare that is working for you; it seems that Tama doesn't make a bad snare; at least I've never heard a bad one.

One thing to watch out for, and might explain the unfavourable experience you had with the Pearl snare : you must CRANK the snare side (resonant) head on any snare drum to get it to sound decent. Tune it up like a timbale...then higher...then even more. You should be a little worried about it....then you're in the ballpark. I find this especially true of deeper maple drums. If the resonant head is at medium tension, or close to the batter head, you can pretty much guarantee it will sound boxy and 'bonky' , it will feel rubbery and exhibit all kinds of weird overtones when trying to record it.

You may also find that tuning the resonant heads on ALL drums to yield better results; at least try this if you haven't already. Not nearly as high as the snare reso though, try about a third higher than the batter.

It is quite possible that the used Tama you bought had a properly tensioned (very tight) resonant head. As many members here will tell you , heads and tuning come before shell material and construction....

Neal
Oh man thanks for the welcome Neal, it's good to be here. I'm very into learning about drums, heads and tuning and have been reading and experimenting quite a bit the past few years. I will check out the tension on the bottom of the drums. Again thanks for the post man.

James
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Oh man thanks for the welcome Neal, it's good to be here. I'm very into learning about drums, heads and tuning and have been reading and experimenting quite a bit the past few years. I will check out the tension on the bottom of the drums. Again thanks for the post man.

James
Hi James. I remember your amp shootout videos when I was on TGP and Rig-Talk (I actually started Rig-Talk.) I switched to drums fulltime 2 years ago and am having a blast.

If you can, please post some recordings of your new snares! We'd all love to see them.

Chris
Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

My sister gave me a ddrum 5x14 maple snare that used to belong to the Zac Brown Band's drummer (Chris Fryar). It's wrapped in woodland camo. Actually sounds just like I would expect maple. I'm certain it's a lot cheaper than most any other maple snare on the market. I was very surprised and thankful for the addition to the collection, especially since it was a sound I wanted to fill.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

James
Excellent! You will find the folks here to be quite knowledgable and helpful with all things drums. Lots of good tips. Vintage to modern. By far the best drum corner on the net.

I highly recommend you check out Keep it Simple (Andy's) posts on this forum for all things relating to sound physics and drums - different woods, bearing edges, construction methods,etc. He has literally done it all - and has a high end boutique drum company to show for it...Guru Drums.

If you're gonna keep going with snares (it's an addiction, I have about 20, still going) you owe it to check out stave and single ply steam bent construction drums, including Andy's.

Neal

[14 CREW]

Last edited by evilg99; 08-20-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 PM

A quick video from our snare shootout; Black Beauty, King Beat and Swampdawg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BATv_A5V74