DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Calling All Bad Back Drummers: Ergokinetic Thrones

Hi Guys,

I've had a weak L4-L5 lower back/lumbar since high school (14 years ago) and I am a metal drummer. I find that often times I am crippled after about 45-60 minutes of playing.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with ergonomic/ergokinetic thrones, and if so, which are the best?

Right now I am using a Gibralter motorcycle-style with backrest. The cushion is quite hard, and playing metal means I can't really take advantage of the back rest. My lower thighs hurt towards the end, as well as my lower back.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Calling All Bad Back Drummers: Ergokinetic Thrones

I use a Gibraltar backrest, and it really helps my 56 year old back. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 AM

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the ergo chair you at talking about but years ago when I was in three bands and playing constantly I bought a roc n soc nitro throne. It instantly helped my back and I have used it ever since. The air shock keeps a level height but has a little give to it and the seat is huge but soft and padded. Sounds like you have a serious back issue though, I don't know if a chair alone will do it.

Also, I went through this save a back training a while ago that talked about the importance of keeping a curve in your lower back. it made a tremendous difference in how I sit especially as I have started to tackle double bass drum.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

I've got a Pork Pie tractor style seat. I think it's helped. I'm 53 and try to play metal. I was using a round top Tama Titan from the 80's. I think the tractor style makes you sit up straighter. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Renegade

Hi all. About these ergonomic thrones with back support, does anyone know which ones are the most lightweight to lug around? Ta much.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM

I got the Tama Ergo-Rider Quartet with Backrest (HT741), and I love it!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konne View Post
I got the Tama Ergo-Rider Quartet with Backrest (HT741), and I love it!
Thanks! Is it light to carry?

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyWithin View Post
Hi Guys,

I've had a weak L4-L5 lower back/lumbar since high school (14 years ago) and I am a metal drummer. I find that often times I am crippled after about 45-60 minutes of playing.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with ergonomic/ergokinetic thrones, and if so, which are the best?

Right now I am using a Gibralter motorcycle-style with backrest. The cushion is quite hard, and playing metal means I can't really take advantage of the back rest. My lower thighs hurt towards the end, as well as my lower back.

Any suggestions?
I just went through a pinched nerve in L5 back in march, still not over it. In my search for bedding/pillows, chairs I found two products that truly make a difference, really did what they're advertised to do, on being a drum stool called the CARMICHAEL THRONE. Can't say enough good stuff about this stool, it has literally changed my life, no more compressed spine.

You will not be sorry you spent the money, its the only piece of gear I could not be without.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

From the pic in the link, it doesn't look like it squishes down too much. That'd make it last.
$165 for just the top. Seems like a lot, but, if you have any pain in something you do, it quickly doesn't seem like that much, if it relieves/prevents it and you aren't suffering afterwards.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Hi all. About these ergonomic thrones with back support, does anyone know which ones are the most lightweight to lug around? Ta much.
I'll bet not the one I use.... Roc & Soc bike seat with the backrest. I can sit for hours on it but it's not light to tote....
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Ouch, I need to read more carefully. Since you have a motorcycle throne with a backrest and that doesn't help, perhaps you should try a different style, i.e. plain circle, and add a backrest? Those motorcycle style seats tend to be quite big.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
From the pic in the link, it doesn't look like it squishes down too much. That'd make it last.
$165 for just the top. Seems like a lot, but, if you have any pain in something you do, it quickly doesn't seem like that much, if it relieves/prevents it and you aren't suffering afterwards.
When you sit on a regular throne, the foam compresses from your weight until it bottoms out, however long it takes 10 min, 1,2,3 hrs etc. What it bottoms out on is your spine thus compressing your discs.

Being on a drum throne around 20 hrs a week I can tell you the CARMICHAEL is a god send and I would have welcomed it b/f I had my injury. The CARMICHAEL design forces one to sit on their ass cheeks, not on their spine like regular throne/seat designs do. The best piece of gear I have hands down.

$165 is not a lot of money for something that'll actually improve your health. The CARMICHAEL renders all other throne designs torture devises. We basically adapt, for lack of knowing something else is out there. The CARMICHAEL really is revolutionary, highly recommended.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Gold Member

I was not good to my body when I was younger, skateboarding motocross, and every time I get lazy and don't use my inversion table it starts hurting and cramping, which reminds me.... I suggest checking into one, ask your doctor if its OK first but seriously its a life saver for me I was going to look into a backrest but when I started inverting I didn't really need it. .
That throne has the same principle as a bike seat keeping the pressure off your spine, be thankful we live in a time with advanced ergonomics.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Thanks for mentioning the CARMICHAEL throne(s)!
I'm looking for a throne upgrade - I was dumb enough to buy a cheapo throne for starters but I didn't really save anything. Money yes, but anything else, definitely no. Cheapo thrones are so annoying, and that feeling of sitting not that comfortably would persist all the time. Lesson learned...

I've seen a CARMICHAEL throne on a pic that Todd Sucherman shared on facebook (depicting his full drumkit) and I noticed that specific design of the throne top. Wasn't aware of the manufacturer though - now I know. If this thing is good enough for Todd it will be good enough for me for sure!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

I was not good to my body when I was younger, skateboarding motocross, and every time I get lazy and don't use my inversion table it starts hurting and cramping, which reminds me.... I suggest checking into one, ask your doctor if its OK first but seriously its a life saver for me I was going to look into a backrest but when I started inverting I didn't really need it.

That's funny, I have an inversion table, it was a must after a long play day and gig's when my pinched nerve was in crisis pain. After using the CARMICHAEL now for about 2 weeks I've only been on the inversion table twice and that was just out of habit. The CARMICHAEL throne works like an inversion table only better, it sets your muscles while your spine is floating (not being compressed).

Everything is easier when your spine isn't being compressed, the bass pedal is easier, more power, you can move your arms and not affect balance, its indescribable, or more accurately unbelievable.

I've seen a CARMICHAEL throne on a pic that Todd Sucherman shared on facebook (depicting his full drumkit) and I noticed that specific design of the throne top. If this thing is good enough for Todd it will be good enough for me for sure!

I honestly can't say enough good stuff about this throne. Big name pros are catching on, its just a matter of time. If you sit on one for a gig it'll change your life, that's a pretty big statement, tho that's the experience I got and as your body adapts to less spinal compression it only gets better.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 08-10-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the ergo chair you at talking about but years ago when I was in three bands and playing constantly I bought a roc n soc nitro throne. It instantly helped my back and I have used it ever since. The air shock keeps a level height but has a little give to it and the seat is huge but soft and padded. Sounds like you have a serious back issue though, I don't know if a chair alone will do it.
+1.........The Roc-n-soc has been great for my back and I wish I'd have bought one sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
That is the only downside to my Roc-n-Soc throne.....it is pretty heavy and is not easy to pack up..........but it's worth it
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I was not good to my body when I was younger, skateboarding motocross, and every time I get lazy and don't use my inversion table it starts hurting and cramping, which reminds me.... I suggest checking into one, ask your doctor if its OK first but seriously its a life saver for me I was going to look into a backrest but when I started inverting I didn't really need it.

That's funny, I have an inversion table, it was a must after a long play day and gig's when my pinched nerve was in crisis pain. After using the CARMICHAEL now for about 2 weeks I've only been on the inversion table twice and that was just out of habit. The CARMICHAEL throne works like an inversion table only better, it sets your muscles while your spine is floating (not being compressed).

Everything is easier when your spine isn't being compressed, the bass pedal is easier, more power, you can move your arms and not affect balance, its indescribable, or more accurately unbelievable.

I've seen a CARMICHAEL throne on a pic that Todd Sucherman shared on facebook (depicting his full drumkit) and I noticed that specific design of the throne top. If this thing is good enough for Todd it will be good enough for me for sure!

I honestly can't say enough good stuff about this throne. Big name pros are catching on, its just a matter of time. If you sit on one for a gig it'll change your life, that's a pretty big statement, tho that's the experience I got and as your body adapts to less spinal compression it only gets better.

That does look interesting........I just bought an additional throne, wish I'd have read this thread first.......would have liked to have tried one of the Carmichael thrones.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
That does look interesting........I just bought an additional throne, wish I'd have read this thread first.......would have liked to have tried one of the Carmichael thrones.
There's no way I would sit on anything else now, just couldn't do it. My other thrones are useless, now to be sold.

This isn't subjective, its an unbiased no brainer, we're talking about your health here, not a colour, or sound. The throne is 'the' most important piece of equipment on the kit, it controls how your body feels.

The CARMICHAEL isn't a fancy redo of an old idea, its revolutionary and its just starting, its not even really out there yet. Just out of embryonic into infant stage.

How you sit, how you're supported is a big thing, the CARMICHAEL changes all that, its how you're supposed to sit to be pain free and in alignment. I can tell you honestly it works. I would have paid $200 for it in hindsight, probably more, its worth every penny.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Les, did you feel the need to change you seat height with this throne?

I have been sitting at different heights for the past few months, and nothing seems to stick. The seat basically feels fine (no back issues), but it's still just not "right".

Thinking this seat would help in that regard also--besides being better for the spine. I don't/haven't had any back issues, but I don't want to get any in the future either.

Just wondering if you've changed anything else because of the throne, or if it made anything else easier, besides what you said in the other post.

Did you buy the whole throne, or jut a top?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Les, did you feel the need to change you seat height with this throne?

I have been sitting at different heights for the past few months, and nothing seems to stick. The seat basically feels fine (no back issues), but it's still just not "right".

Thinking this seat would help in that regard also--besides being better for the spine. I don't/haven't had any back issues, but I don't want to get any in the future either.

Just wondering if you've changed anything else because of the throne, or if it made anything else easier, besides what you said in the other post.

Did you buy the whole throne, or jut a top?

Thanks.

Its normal to change seat heights to find comfort, its also normal to change tom, snare positioning etc. The reason being your body changes, disc's compress, muscles tighten. I used to redo my whole set up every 2 months or so on a new moon. You're changing positions b/c you're trying to get comfortable, you can't do that on traditional seating, once you bottom out it all goes south and then you start searching.

When I got the CARMICHAEL I did raise the thrones about 3 inches and it was comfortable, did a gig and this is the truth... I was afraid I was going to break my bass drum head.

The CHARMICHAEL leverages everything, you're relaxed and power is unimpeded b/c you no longer have to dedicate energy to balancing. Its an experience.

I have my throne lowered to the last height of my old torture devices, which is about 14.25" from floor to post top, with the CARMICHAEL on Im at 18" to the top of the stool... which is thighs 90 degrees w/feet flat on floor no shoes.

I did raise the snare and all related to force a straight back posture, shoulders open, no hunching. This positioning begs me to be closer to the pedal/bass drum.

After being on the CARMICHAEL Im leaving sessions/gig feeling energized, like nothing happened. Its that good, and like I said it gets better. As you play w/o your spine being compressed you retrain you muscles, which Im still in the midsts of doing, but definitely can feel the positive effects working. Get one and you won't want to sit on anything else.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Les Ismore,
so did you get the top piece only? Or the entire throne? I'm not settled on what to order. Never had a Rock'n'Soc or compatible stand. So in case I'd get the CARMICHAEL top piece only I'd have to buy a compatible stand anyway.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Les Ismore,
so did you get the top piece only? Or the entire throne? I'm not settled on what to order. Never had a Rock'n'Soc or compatible stand. So in case I'd get the CARMICHAEL top piece only I'd have to buy a compatible stand anyway.
I purchased just to top. If your current base is 7/8" it'll fit. They use ROC N SOC bottom plates and bases, which are 7/8" You could adapt your bottom bracket to the CARMICHAEL, but you'd need to install inserts (the plywood is 1/2") and the hole pattern they drilled is for the ROC n SOC stuff.

If you're serious contact CARMICHAEL, they'll answer ALL your questions, excellent customer service... talk to Dan himself, join the family.

I did a gig yesterday and Im still blown away. I feel great, actually got home and did yoga/weight training. At the gig its a new approach, dealing with reserve power. I believe its actually helping my L5 injury heal, I know it is. So what's that worth to me? Can't say enough good about it.

They're on ebay.

While I have the scale plugged in- The CARMICHAEL top weighs in at 5.06 lbs, thats w/o a bracket on the bottom, with my bracket it weighs 8.05 lbs and the top fits perfectly in a 14x5.5 drum bag.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 08-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
I purchased just to top. If your current base is 7/8" it'll fit. They use ROC N SOC bottom plates and bases, which are 7/8" You could adapt your bottom bracket to the CARMICHAEL, but you'd need to install inserts (the plywood is 1/2") and the hole pattern they drilled is for the ROC n SOC stuff.

If you're serious contact CARMICHAEL, they'll answer ALL your questions, excellent customer service... talk to Dan himself, join the family.

I did a gig yesterday and Im still blown away. I feel great, actually got home and did yoga/weight training. At the gig its a new approach, dealing with reserve power. I believe its actually helping my L5 injury heal, I know it is. So what's that worth to me? Can't say enough good about it.

They're on ebay.

While I have the scale plugged in- The CARMICHAEL top weighs in at 5.06 lbs, thats w/o a bracket on the bottom, with my bracket it weighs 8.05 lbs and the top fits perfectly in a 14x5.5 drum bag.
I was just complaining to myself that my throne top was all compressed on one side after only about a year. Annoying as all as you expend energy keeping balanced during double bass parts.

I definitely agree with you on the importance of a good stable throne. You have just convinced me to make my next top a Carmichael. It looks like some real thought went into it.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

You have just convinced me to make my next top a Carmichael. It looks like some real thought went into it.

Dan Carmichael is a drummer who went through a back injury, contact him about the history of the design.

This thing is just starting to take off, its not a gimmick/fad. Im 100% satisfied. The CARMICHAEL is 'improving' my health. What other piece of drum gear can you say that about? It ends up paying for itself in medical (chiro/massage bills).

And when you'd rather sit on it than any other chair/seat at the venue during a break, that's saying a lot.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Because of Les' comments & high opinion of the Charmichael seat, I bid, and won a seat top on eBay.

I did a "test" with a couple pieces of thick material at work on a seat, just to see what it would be like and it was pretty "freeing" feeling--even with the ganky way I set it up.

I should get it by Thursday in FedEx, and will try it out on my gig Friday night (opening for Vince Neil).
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm being swayed too. I don't even have any back issues, but if there is a way to feel better and more in control when I gig, that's a great thing. Definitely a case where money can improve the quality of your experience, if it really is all that.

As far as carrying the seat tops of thrones around...I agree they are klunky to move around. What I do is tie a loop of some thin but strong braided cord to it. I backed some screws and washers out and tied the cord around the screws and tightened it back down. That allows you to carry your throne top with just one finger. Plus it's free, basically. Just make the loop so it doesn't extend past the seat edge or less, you don't need too much. It makes life so much easier. Like Gatzen says, it's the little things that make a big difference. Or something like that.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 AM

I recently got the Ahead Spinal G Throne, though I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet. I went with the Ahead over the Carmichael mainly because I didn't want a round throne.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
As far as carrying the seat tops of thrones around...I agree they are klunky to move around. What I do is tie a loop of some thin but strong braided cord to it. I backed some screws and washers out and tied the cord around the screws and tightened it back down. That allows you to carry your throne top with just one finger. Plus it's free, basically. Just make the loop so it doesn't extend past the seat edge or less, you don't need too much. It makes life so much easier. Like Gatzen says, it's the little things that make a big difference. Or something like that.
Larry, you're a genius. I was lugging my kit the other day, and didn't bring my Tama 1st chair for the exact reason of it being too awkward to carry around. I was lamenting not having got a bag for it, and was trying to stuff it into my hardware bag without any luck. I'm gonna go strap a piece of cord to it tomorrow! I love little "hacks" like that. I recently bought a couple of Neodymium Magnets (rare earth magnets) and use them for holding set lists attached to cymbal stands, and a small LED light pointed down at my pedals when the lights are off..... A little off topic, I know, but just felt like sharing.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitgreen View Post
Larry, you're a genius.
Yes. Yes I am lol. I'm glad you like my suggestion KIG. I always Larry-ize things that I'm not happy with. I tie cords to my snare drums too, using the lugs and/or tension rods. It makes it very convenient to grab it. I like your suggestions about the magnets. And the light. Not sure how you use a magnet on a round cymbal stand though. Another thing I do is to tie a car litter bag onto my floor tom. I put my glasses, keys, wallet and phone in there when I play because I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drum. Placing them on the floor puts them in harms way. It works great. No one sees it anyway.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yes. Yes I am lol. I'm glad you like my suggestion KIG. I always Larry-ize things that I'm not happy with. I tie cords to my snare drums too, using the lugs and/or tension rods. It makes it very convenient to grab it. I like your suggestions about the magnets. And the light. Not sure how you use a magnet on a round cymbal stand though. Another thing I do is to tie a car litter bag onto my floor tom. I put my glasses, keys, wallet and phone in there when I play because I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drum. Placing them on the floor puts them in harms way. It works great. No one sees it anyway.
I usually just dump my keys, wallet, and phone into a pocket of my cymbal bag, but I might try that little bag on the floor tom tip sometime...

As for the magnet trick, That's why I use the rare earth magnets. Those little guys are so strong, they will stick to anything that's got iron in it like super glue. I bought a couple of small cubes about 2cmx2cmx2cm and they stick to the round stands perfectly. I glued one to the back of an LED light that's got a "snake" style neck on it, and the magnet can pretty much go anywhere. Usually on a floor tom leg, but also bass drum lugs, snare stand, cymbal stand legs, etc. I've never had one fall off. I'm telling ya, that Neodymium is some amazing stuff!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

I recently got the Ahead Spinal G Throne, though I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet. I went with the Ahead over the Carmichael mainly because I didn't want a round throne.

Let us know what happens with the AHEAD. It has springs in it, for what reason I don't know. Designed by a chiropractor, not a drummer. There's been a lot of people returning the AHEAD and getting a CARMICHAEL according to Dan (Carmichael).

Another thing I do is to tie a car litter bag onto my floor tom. I put my glasses, keys, wallet and phone in there when I play because I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drum. Placing them on the floor puts them in harms way.

The channel in the CARMICHAEL makes a cool storage space, it can be partitioned of pretty easy, phone (set to vibrate), keys, the small stuff etc.

The CARMICHAEL is still impressing me, coming off gig's/playing feeling better each time, which is really hard to believe, but its happening.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Because of Les' comments & high opinion of the Charmichael seat, I bid, and won a seat top on eBay.

I did a "test" with a couple pieces of thick material at work on a seat, just to see what it would be like and it was pretty "freeing" feeling--even with the ganky way I set it up.

I should get it by Thursday in FedEx, and will try it out on my gig Friday night (opening for Vince Neil).
Thats funny because I think I was bidding against you. I bailed on the auction because I found that I could use my old Girbaltar mount and buy the Seat top only from Carmichael.

Let us know how you like it.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

That's funny. I figured if it was lower than a new one with shipping I'd stay in.
I got it today, and had my seat for a rehearsal tonight, so it worked out kinda cool.
It was actually scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

The seller has other stuff for sale, so if you are interested in any of it, he packed the seat top really well, and got it out quickly. It's in perfect "new" condition too.

Impression:

WOW
Sitting on it is very "freeing" feeling. Immediate difference in feel from my other seats that felt comfortable. Just trying it out away from the kit, moving my arms around "air drumming" was a lot different feeling.
The foam is very sturdy and there's no sink in feeling at all. Just great feeling support.
I am VERY impressed.

If anyone is thinking about one of these, it's worth the $165 bucks easy.

It's crazy how much difference I felt in such a short time.

My office chair feels like crap now :-(
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Karl, I use a tractor style seat. Before the Carmichael, did you use a tractor or a round seat top? I prefer the tractor and since I really have no issues with my back, would the round seat feel be a drawback?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

I used a Roc-N-Soc for years, then a Tama Ergo Rider for a couple years, then the Pearl round Roadster for the last two.
The Tama was pretty comfortable, the Pearl has been decent too.
After using a round a few years ago on a backline gig, it felt better than the tractor style, so I went back to it.
I bought a Gibraltar soft seat last year as well, and that thing has been sitting. I'm selling it now. I've never tried the split Gibraltar tractor style seat.

Like the tractor style, where it puts you in a good spot on the seat automatically, similar to the front of a round, the Charmicael does the same thing. There is no leg movement restriction AT ALL on this seat.

I can't say I have any back "issues" either, no pain, but something hasn't seemed "right" on anything for a while.

One height will be OK for a bit, then I'd have to change it because there's "something"..so I guess there is SOME KIND of issue :-)

This Charmichael seat top is something else. The size of it is bigger than usual seats, and it's perfect. I'm siting on it, and it feels like I'm sitting straighter naturally without thinking about it.

THANK YOU LES for posting about this seat.

As Les has stated, it's pretty crazy the change in feel. I'm sitting on it at work, and now I want the dang thing for my desk at work. I don't have the bucks for that right now, so I may have to put something together that's similar for my computer chair.

If you have back pain, or something is not right sitting on anything you are trying out, then this seat is probably going to correct it. The size of the it is great, and the foam is very supportive. No sag in, but not hard feeling.

IMO, it's easily worth the money the top costs. I'm stoked that I got this seat.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

WOW

My office chair feels like crap now :-(
Karl, they make a full line of office chairs too!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Ye$, I $aw tho$e... :-)

If I could afford one at the moment, I'd get one.

Just looking at that Ahead seat in the pic, I'll say the Charmicael is better than that one.
Although I haven't sat on it, it just looks like there's not enough gap, and the foam can't be as supportive with that small a split without being too hard.
If it was too hard of foam, it wouldn't allow you to be supported in the right spots (butt cheeks), and have your spine area free in the middle. The gap has to be wider.
It's probably better than nothing, but I wouldn't bother with that one after sitting on the Charmicael for the first 30 seconds. REALLY.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

yeah, about 4 times what my boss would accept for a chair for me!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I used a Roc-N-Soc for years, then a Tama Ergo Rider for a couple years, then the Pearl round Roadster for the last two.
The Tama was pretty comfortable, the Pearl has been decent too.
After using a round a few years ago on a backline gig, it felt better than the tractor style, so I went back to it.
I bought a Gibraltar soft seat last year as well, and that thing has been sitting. I'm selling it now. I've never tried the split Gibraltar tractor style seat.

Like the tractor style, where it puts you in a good spot on the seat automatically, similar to the front of a round, the Charmicael does the same thing. There is no leg movement restriction AT ALL on this seat.

I can't say I have any back "issues" either, no pain, but something hasn't seemed "right" on anything for a while.

One height will be OK for a bit, then I'd have to change it because there's "something"..so I guess there is SOME KIND of issue :-)

This Charmichael seat top is something else. The size of it is bigger than usual seats, and it's perfect. I'm siting on it, and it feels like I'm sitting straighter naturally without thinking about it.

THANK YOU LES for posting about this seat.

As Les has stated, it's pretty crazy the change in feel. I'm sitting on it at work, and now I want the dang thing for my desk at work. I don't have the bucks for that right now, so I may have to put something together that's similar for my computer chair.

If you have back pain, or something is not right sitting on anything you are trying out, then this seat is probably going to correct it. The size of the it is great, and the foam is very supportive. No sag in, but not hard feeling.

IMO, it's easily worth the money the top costs. I'm stoked that I got this seat.

Yeah, you don't need to have back issues to benefit from a CARMICHAEL throne, tho all drummers do have back issues, there's no way way around it. Its a matter of the mind minimizing the issues b/c there's no remedy till now. Its a losing battle if your disks just keep getting compressed.

Traditional seating causes the spinal disks to compress, there's no way around it. If you sit at a desk for a living, a CARMICHAEL is a must/no brainer. At least KarlCrafton can take his drum stool in to work.

This throne is still in its infancy, there's no way if you sat/gigged on one you wouldn't want it.

Every time I leave the kit Im blown away w/the CARMICHAEL, blown away and happy... and I look fwd to playing/sitting on it again. My back isn't saying "No" anymore.

The CARMICHAEL 'is' that good, haven't been able to crow about any piece of gear like that b/f. This isn't a subjective issue, its a direct impact on your health.

The AHEAD SPINAL G hasn't gotten good reviews, its cheaper, tho the design incorporates springs, for what reason I don't know, and the gap is too small. Im curious to hear about BertTheDrummer's experience w/it. Again the designer is a chiropractor, not a drummer. He licensed the design to AHEAD.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The AHEAD SPINAL G hasn't gotten good reviews, its cheaper, tho the design incorporates springs, for what reason I don't know, and the gap is too small. Im curious to hear about BertTheDrummer's experience w/it. Again the designer is a chiropractor, not a drummer. He licensed the design to AHEAD.
I'm also looking forward to learning more about the AHEAD.

I was 2 days away from picking up the ROC N SOC throne. I stumbled across this thread (thank goodness). I'm a fan of the motorcycle seat, as opposed to the round thrones (had them for 30+ years).

I have back issues (injury related), but not as bad as some here are describing.