DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Need acoustic/electric drum buying advice!

Howdy all!

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm new to the forum, and new to purchasing drums, but I've been playing drums for about 5 years now. I'm self taught, learned on some kits that lived in my apartments over the years, and I constantly drum on pretty much any surface I can find. I suppose I'd consider myself a player who is leaning towards the advanced side of intermediate. I'm definitely not a beginner but haven't had the drum resources available to call myself an "advanced player". I've been playing bass for about 12 years now, and I honestly think I'm better at drums than I am at bass :P

I'm looking for some advice pertaining to buying an electric/acoustic kit. I live in the city, so buying a strictly acoustic kit is kind of out the window if I want to be playing every day. However, I love playing acoustic kits, and would definitely like to be able to do so when possible. I'm mostly interested in playing jazz/fusion/hip-hop/electronic, and occasionally rock/hard rock/indie rock.

I've had experience playing a few different kinds of electric kits. I've played some of the higher end Roland kits (which are fantastic, but definitely out of my price range), and I've played the Pearl E-Pro kit with the plastic cymbals (which I actually really liked, despite a lot of negative feedback I've seen about it). I don't know much about acoustic kits, but the kit I primarily played over the years was some kind of pearl 5 piece kit with a really snappy snare and I loved it.

I'm considering two different avenues currently:

1.) Just buy the e-Pro kit. It runs for about $2200.00.
http://www.kraftmusic.com/pearl-e-pr...ls-bundle.html

I have my reservations about this, as I feel like putting acoustic heads on these drums might not sound too great. Also I'm not a big fan of the drum rack.

2.) Buy an actual acoustic kit, and then buy the tru-trac drum heads and a module. (I am definitely leaning toward this option)

The heads and module range from $1000-$1500 depending on the module, you can see the all the options here:
http://www.kraftmusic.com/drums/elec...n=prl-epad25de

As far as the acoustic kit goes, I'd probably want to try to buy something that comes with just drums and hardware, like one of the following two models:

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1Y90NS2281 - ~$670

Gretsch Catalina Maple Kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1Y90NJ3674 - ~$999

(Who knew newegg sold music equipment?)

So this option would cost me about the same price, and I'd have a full acoustic kit (minus cymbals, which I can always pick up later if I start playing live more often).

Does anyone have any experience with either of these options? Or any info that would help make my decision a little easier? Or perhaps have any alternative suggestions?

I'm pretty open on the type/brand of acoustic kit for option 2. Again I don't really know much of anything about buying an acoustic kit.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Need acoustic/electric drum buying advice!

One thing, that Newegg ad doesn't mention specifically what the hardware is. The Gretsch kit doesn't come with any normally except floor tom legs and the tom mounts. So you'd be looking for a hardware pack of cymbal, hi hat and snare stands, a kick pedal and throne, unless that is being added. I wouldn't buy without the clarification.

I don't think I'd try and do a combination hybrid edrum/acoustic kit. I'd do two separate kits. Doing a full head change from mesh heads and triggers would be more of a pain than it's worth to me.

Personally I'd look for something like a used Roland or Yamaha Edrum kit, best you can find for $1000 bucks, and a used acoustic drum kit with cymbals and everything for $1000.
I bought a yamaha dtxtreme IIS e-drum set for 1100 a couple years ago and love it. It would have been there top of the line 4 or 5 years ago. It's all I play at home where volume is a concern.

With edrums, the biggest thing is the pad material - you need to try them all to see what you prefer. Mine have old school rubber pads, which don't bother me at all, the snare is the only one you hit so much that makes much difference to me. Most people swear by the Roland mesh heads.

For drums, any of your typical mid line kits - Yamaha Stage customs, Tama silverstars, Pearl visions, Gretsch Catalinas, Mapex Meridians, etc you can find in the 500ish range, usually including hardware, with some careful digging. That leaves you with some room for cymbals. I'd stay away from lower line budget drum and cymbal Iines.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Another option is the DDrum Hybrid ($699), then you could pick up whatever brain you wanted.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
One thing, that Newegg ad doesn't mention specifically what the hardware is. The Gretsch kit doesn't come with any normally except floor tom legs and the tom mounts. So you'd be looking for a hardware pack of cymbal, hi hat and snare stands, a kick pedal and throne, unless that is being added. I wouldn't buy without the clarification.
I think they come with Gibralter hardware (snare stand, hi hat stand, crash stand, ride stand, bass pedal). If you check the third picture of the cheaper kit you can see them.

Quote:
I don't think I'd try and do a combination hybrid edrum/acoustic kit. I'd do two separate kits. Doing a full head change from mesh heads and triggers would be more of a pain than it's worth to me.
Yeah that's a good point. Though I'd primarily be using it as an electric kit, and only occasionally changing the heads for acoustic use. Also the Pearl tru-trac heads are relatively easy to remove/install.

Quote:
Personally I'd look for something like a used Roland or Yamaha Edrum kit, best you can find for $1000 bucks, and a used acoustic drum kit with cymbals and everything for $1000.
I bought a yamaha dtxtreme IIS e-drum set for 1100 a couple years ago and love it. It would have been there top of the line 4 or 5 years ago. It's all I play at home where volume is a concern.

With edrums, the biggest thing is the pad material - you need to try them all to see what you prefer. Mine have old school rubber pads, which don't bother me at all, the snare is the only one you hit so much that makes much difference to me. Most people swear by the Roland mesh heads.
Also a good suggestion! I tend to feel like I need to buy new with music equipment, but perhaps I should look into some used gear. My only qualm with buying an older electronic kit is that I recently played a friend's Roland kit that appeared to have a slightly older module (but had full mesh pads), and the drums sounded TERRIBLE. After playing another friend's Pearl E-Pro kit, I was blown away by how much better the drum samples sounded.

Quote:
For drums, any of your typical mid line kits - Yamaha Stage customs, Tama silverstars, Pearl visions, Gretsch Catalinas, Mapex Meridians, etc you can find in the 500ish range, usually including hardware, with some careful digging. That leaves you with some room for cymbals. I'd stay away from lower line budget drum and cymbal Iines.
Thank you for the suggestions! This will definitely give me some more to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Another option is the DDrum Hybrid ($699), then you could pick up whatever brain you wanted.
That looks awesome! Unfortunately noise is a big concern for me so I'll need to look for something that I can primarily use with headphones or at low volumes through an amp.

Last edited by Bernhard; 08-09-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM

If you really like the Pearl e-drum sounds, the brain is made for them by Alesis, and their e-drums are not expensive at all. You just have to decide if you like their pads.
If you search the web, there are mods out there to change their pads over to mesh heads.

The sounds in the drum brains have really improved over the last couple generations of e-drums. Lots of guys upgrade their kits by just buying a newer brain. I'm hoping myself to find a used Yamaha DTXtreme III brain to upgrade my kit, but they are often $1000 on their own, and they just don't sell as many of the $5000 drum kits as the $500 ones, so there aren't a ton of them out there to begin with.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I was gonna recommend the same thing but I'm not completely sure if you're looking for both, an e-drum and an acoustic kit or just an e-drum that looks like an acoustic kit.

Anyways, a couple of years ago I bought a used Roland TD9kx in a local store for $1,000.
That model I think is now discontinued but If you do some research you might find a good deal on an intermediate/pro Roland kit (TD12/TD15)

The thing about e-drums is that you need to dedicate time to find the sound you like but once you do, these int/pro kits sound f***ing awesome!!! they have 1000's of different sounds so maybe the one you listened to was not your cup of tea.

I always get compliments on the sound of my e-kit, especially the bass drum.

I use this kit to practice and do recordings at home and I have a Mapex Saturn I use for rehearsals and gigs with the band, so for me having both is a must.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
If you really like the Pearl e-drum sounds, the brain is made for them by Alesis, and their e-drums are not expensive at all. You just have to decide if you like their pads.
If you search the web, there are mods out there to change their pads over to mesh heads.
This is a great idea!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEDM10STUDIOKIT

$899 new, and the mesh conversion would only cost about $150.

Last edited by apolloXiii; 08-10-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo