DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Wow, yes :) I didn't know Mrs Slocombe travelled that far! Only us of a certain age eh?
Yes, her influence would seem more chronological than geographical. My Dad was a big fan of the show, which says something. Old style British panto comedy - junior school double entendres and sexual innuendo. As opposed to modern American comedy, which seems to mostly be battles for social supremacy between alpha wisecrackers.

Then you have Aussie comedy, which is often about rednecks :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdgTpBvp9n4

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 AM

Don't know if y'all across the pond are so lucky, but Snuffy the Seal beware....ITS SHARK WEEK!!!
Whooo-Hooo!
Yep, I'm that uncool; I love Shark Week....but my kids think I'm awesome. I'll hang onto that because pretty soon they won't want to be seen with me.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
A Mrs Slocombe joke!
My mum was Mrs Slocombe, until she became Hyacinth Bucket along with everybody else's mum.

Oh my life, how could I even have forgotten: when I was little, we actually had a cat called Pussy! My mum was too nice to know better, bless her.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
My mum was Mrs Slocombe, until she became Hyacinth Bucket along with everybody else's mum.

Oh my life, how could I even have forgotten: when I was little, we actually had a cat called Pussy! My mum was too clever for us, bless her.
Fixed it for you, Madge. ;)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, her influence would seem more chronological than geographical. My Dad was a big fan of the show, which says something. Old style British panto comedy - junior school double entendres and sexual innuendo. As opposed to modern American comedy, which seems to mostly be battles for social supremacy between alpha wisecrackers.

Then you have Aussie comedy, which is often about rednecks :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdgTpBvp9n4
You describe "You've been served" perfectly - wonderful stuff, as are the "Carry On" films, & gems like "On the Busses". All budget stuff, but even better for it :)

BTW, I found that Aussie comedy clip funny. Says something about me eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
D
.but my kids think I'm awesome. I'll hang onto that because pretty soon they won't want to be seen with me.
Oh, & much sooner than you think! Are they past 5 yet? ;) ;) ;)

Quote:

Oh my life, how could I even have forgotten: when I was little, we actually had a cat called Pussy! My mum was too nice to know better, bless her.
Hyacinth Bucket! Classic. My mother went to the same school as Patricia :)

Ha, a cat called pussy - well - I've come across a few of those (read into that if you will). The wife of a friend of mine has a pet rabbit called rampant - but I doubt that was an innocent faux pas ;)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
pretty soon they won't want to be seen with me.
You say that. Our girls are 19 and 20 and still come on holiday with us - we can't get rid of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Fixed it for you, Madge. ;)
No, honestly, I was right first time, bless her.

Quote:
That was quite funny. Not as good as "Kenny" though - best film ever.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Madge, I'm imagining being a teenager and hearing my mother calling out "Pussy Pussy Pussy!" at the cat's dinnertime ... yikes! My mother used to call out "Puddy puddy puddy!" which, I think, was based on Tweety Bird.

Quote:
You describe "You've been served" perfectly - wonderful stuff, as are the "Carry On" films, & gems like "On the Busses". All budget stuff, but even better for it :)

BTW, I found that Aussie comedy clip funny. Says something about me eh?
For Brit comedy it's hard to go past Python. Anything with John Cleese in it is a riot (apart from his training videos). A Fish Called Wanda made me laugh more than any film I can think of.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Madge, I'm imagining being a teenager and hearing my mother calling out "Pussy Pussy Pussy!" at the cat's dinnertime ... yikes! My mother used to call out "Puddy puddy puddy!" which, I think, was based on Tweety Bird.

For Brit comedy it's hard to go past Python. Anything with John Cleese in it is a riot (apart from his training videos). A Fish Called Wanda made me laugh more than any film I can think of.
We were a clean- living family! And anyway, the cat in question joined the choir invisibule long before I was a teenager.

Ah, Python. My best friend and I were castigated for collapsing in heaps at a party when somebody mentioned two sheds, and nobody else knew it was funny. Also, I tried to explain to Henri why my surname was Apricot - I sent him a link - and the nearest he got was Tiger.

Do you know "The Inbetweeners", Grea? For me, it's real Tena Lady stuff. We always think that our kids shouldn't understand, and they are always appalled that we do!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Oh, & much sooner than you think! Are they past 5 yet? ;) ;) ;)
10, 8, 5, and 3...the 8 yo has Down syndrome, so I will ALWAYS be cool to him. The 10 yo is a girl, and as far as I can tell hit the puberty attitude when she was about 8 months old. However, I now have huge cool points for playing drums. Actually heard one of her friends remark "Your mom rocks, I wish mine was as cool" last week.

Last edited by BlueSky; 08-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That was hilarious, I want to see more! Reminded me a bit of Trailer Park Boys.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

Or there's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNQXxwKlH8
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Made me laff. Would have been funnier if I hadn't been down a coal mine all these years, of course.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've always been a huge fan of British comedy and Python was always it for me. The first time I saw Holy Grail, I was a kid. It was a late weekend night and my dad and I caught it on public television. We laughed so hard we couldn't breathe.

We used to like the TV show Cheers. That was a pretty good comedic ensemble. But that one episode where John Cleese guest-stars as the marriage counselor... my god. He just stole that show. Such genius.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
We used to like the TV show Cheers. That was a pretty good comedic ensemble. But that one episode where John Cleese guest-stars as the marriage counselor... my god. He just stole that show. Such genius.
Cheers was brilliant, and so was Frasier!

In other news, this is our last evening with Mini-Madge. She has definitely come to the right place: they take their art very seriously here and value it enormously. I know she's going to be happy and I hope she'll do well.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

I've got to take my dog, Larry Sinclair Zigfeld, to the vet tomorrow. I've noticed all day today, he can't...how to put this on a family forum? Well, he can't defecate. Is that okay?

All day he's assumed the posture, but northing happens. He seems to be straining. I didn't like it, so I got an appointment with the vet.

I've had dogs before, but I've never seen this, so I'm a little tense. He seems normal otherwise, if a bit twitchy.

Here's him and me at the beach a couple of weeks ago, when he was rocking and rolling. He's a handsome boy, ain't he?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Renegade

Quote:
I've always been a huge fan of British comedy and Python was always it for me. The first time I saw Holy Grail, I was a kid. It was a late weekend night and my dad and I caught it on public television. We laughed so hard we couldn't breathe.

I'm a sucker for cartoons - I've watched far too much South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, American Dad and the Simpsons!

Here's my dog shot - there's stuff on her tongue because she'd been playing fetch:
Attached Images

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I've got to take my dog, Larry Sinclair Zigfeld, to the vet tomorrow. I've noticed all day today, he can't...how to put this on a family forum? Well, he can't defecate. Is that okay?

All day he's assumed the posture, but northing happens. He seems to be straining. I didn't like it, so I got an appointment with the vet.
Dogs can get constipated. I would have done the same thing, take him to a vet to get it checked out, but it's not unusual. If I feed my dog people food for a treat, which I almost never do, sometimes that's what happens.

Very handsome dog!

Let us know how things turn out.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dogs can get constipated. I would have done the same thing, take him to a vet to get it checked out, but it's not unusual. If I feed my dog people food for a treat, which I almost never do, sometimes that's what happens.

Very handsome dog!

Let us know how things turn out.
He's a good guy, and as smart as they come. I'll report back.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
If I feed my dog people food for a treat, which I almost never do, sometimes that's what happens.
My dogs only get people food. Don't worry, it's a rice, vegetables, and chicken or tuna casserole, and they get the same amount each meal. But when I do have to give them dog food, their poor little insides get all messed up (constipation or diarrhea, take your pick).

Since they have been on homemade food, they have more energy, play a whole lot more, have softer and shinier coats, and their breath doesn't smell as bad. They get a doggie vitamin each morning too, to make sure they get any vitamins their food doesn't supply.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He's a good guy, and as smart as they come. I'll report back.
He's lovely. Hope he's ok.

We're home now. It wasn't supposed to be a holiday as we had so much to do, but it turned into one and it was the best ever. I am very impressed with the importance and proliferation of art in Singapore; I'm sure mini-Madge will find it inspirational, and I hope it will mean she'll get a job in due course!

The least overtly-affectionate cat was glued to me all night. Just wondering what the equine reaction will be; sometimes it's "MUUUUUM!", sometimes it's a sniffy "Oh, you're back, are you?" They're perfectly capable of wolfing down peace-offerings of apples and Love Hearts with a sneer on their faces, and then sodding off all indifferent-like.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

The Zig dog will be alright. He'll have to be given metronidazole twice a day for ten days. After that he should be up and running just fine.

That's a load off.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Renegade

J, make sure he gets lots of walks and waters, and pass him some veggies from your plate. I suspect that constipated dogs might instinctively eat long grass if they are walking in a grassy area.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear, Jay! They'll worry you to death, dogs will.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Glad LSZ is on the mend.

I think cats are more of a worry, as they tend to turn up squashed :(
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, guys.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Zig dog will be alright. He'll have to be given metronidazole twice a day for ten days. After that he should be up and running just fine.

That's a load off.
My guy had the opposite problem once. Gave him too much Kaopectate for the runs, and he almost solidified into the Sphinx.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Gold Member

What is wrong with people? My landlord has some issue with my wife, which is all hearsay, so he decides that the best action for him is to serve us an eviction notice today. I talked to the property owner about this, and he thinks this is stupid, says he has no problem with us staying, and I just need to go work things out with the landlord. So I go attempt to do so (he has no problem with me by the way, just my wife, whom he refuses to talk to). The landlord doesn't want to work things out, still wont budge on us being evicted, and tells me the owner is fine with him kicking us out. My lease is not up until September 30, but he says we have to be out no later than August 30. This is in direct breach of my lease agreement, as there is a clause that states he cannot change the terms of our lease until the contract is up, unless we are in direct violation of the lease agreement, which we are not. My wife just started a new job last week, and I start school on monday so I have no income until my student loan comes in at the beginning with September. Again I ask, what is wrong with people?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Renegade

So to hear, Mr IP. Not having a good run there. I think it's important to know what the landlord's complaint is about your wife.

Quote:
Thanks, guys.
J, did you feed your dog the veggies? Or is it turning into a Spinx? :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
What is wrong with people?
I'm very sorry to hear of your current difficulties and I hope you resolve things quickly and as smoothly as possible.

Other people make my blood boil sometimes. As if there isn't enough unavoidable crap in people's lives, yet they feel the urge to contribute to it. Grr.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
So to hear, Mr IP. Not having a good run there. I think it's important to know what the landlord's complaint is about your wife.
He thinks she is spreading nasty rumors about him being a thief. If she did I would have heard all about it from her before anyone else, but yet supposedly all the other tenants have told him she said this. (Keep in mind this man claims to have been in the Marines during the first Gulf War, killed Iraqi children, and was given a Congressional Medal of Honor for his service, even though none were handed out for service in the Gulf War. He is a big time liar) There are 32 units in my complex, and the landlord lives on site. There are a few different cliques among residents, as there naturally would be. The landlord aligns himself with certain cliques, and causes hell for others. Apparently he has also handed out eviction notices to other residents that my wife associates with. Including my family, so far its three. These three families consist of a total of six adults and eight kids. And these three families have been living here longer than the landlord himself. I am currently in conversation with both the owners and have talked with a lawyer. I have been awake now for 30 hours and am so irate over this I still can't sleep.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Renegade

That's horrible, Mr IP. So a liar is accusing your wife of spreading rumours about him being a thief in order to create a little empire of clique pals. Thing is, if you can prevent yourself from being pushed out, it sounds like it'll be unpleasant for you. The importance of sane neighbours to a happy life can't be overestimated.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That's horrible, Mr IP. So a liar is accusing your wife of spreading rumours about him being a thief in order to create a little empire of clique pals. Thing is, if you can prevent yourself from being pushed out, it sounds like it'll be unpleasant for you. The importance of sane neighbours to a happy life can't be overestimated.
Well this place is slowly turning into a white trash ghetto since he took over, so the wife and I were planning on moving once our lease was up anyhow. Don't get me wrong, my apartment is really nice and centrally located to everything, so if this downfall of my immediate surroundings and all the drama wasn't occurring, we would stay. But my daughter doesn't deserve to live in a place like this. The cops are here all the time, we have drug dealers, drunks, there was a stabbing less than a year ago, the list goes on. I just need to wait until my lease is up for both legal and financial reasons. Then we are gone.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well this place is slowly turning into a white trash ghetto since he took over, so the wife and I were planning on moving once our lease was up anyhow. Don't get me wrong, my apartment is really nice and centrally located to everything, so if this downfall of my immediate surroundings and all the drama wasn't occurring, we would stay. But my daughter doesn't deserve to live in a place like this. The cops are here all the time, we have drug dealers, drunks, there was a stabbing less than a year ago, the list goes on. I just need to wait until my lease is up for both legal and financial reasons. Then we are gone.
Hopefully everything works out.............there may be a silver lining............evicting you may free you from your lease agreement
Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Well this place is slowly turning into a white trash ghetto since he took over ... The cops are here all the time, we have drug dealers, drunks, there was a stabbing less than a year ago, the list goes on. I just need to wait until my lease is up for both legal and financial reasons. Then we are gone.
If the owners don't kick out the landlord and get someone who will carry out the role responsibly and undo the damage then they will cost themselves a bundle. Those kinds of tenants cost a fortune in damage to property and skipping out without paying.

Tolerating that kind of BS is just throwing the money away. Property owners who close their eyes to this kind of behaviour tend to be the ones who don't respect tenants enough as human beings to invest in maintaining the property. They end up with increasingly trashy tenants, who then destroy the units.

From there, tenant damage is used as justification for continuing not to spend and the cycle continues as the good ones move on, to be replaced by irresponsible types. The alternative is to spend enough on maintenance to attract people who aren't junkies, mentally ill or morally vacant.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

Yeah the owners aren't hardly ever here, and they are fooled by the landlord. They think he is great. Regardless if we are evicted or not, my lease is up at the end of September. So the light at the end of the tunnel is near. The owners are really nice, decent people, and I have been in contact with them since this started. They only know what the landlord tells them, and anytime anything incorrect comes up, I am able to refute it directly with lease terms. Fortunately for me I used to have to write legal documents, so I understand contracts.

Yeah the turnaround here is huge, people come and go all the time. And the class of people is definitely going down hill.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

I've just had a major breakthrough whilst schooling my young cob. So proud of him!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I've just had a major breakthrough whilst schooling my young cob. So proud of him!
That's a beautiful horse
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
That's a beautiful horse
Thank you very much! I think so too, but I'm biased. He's a real dude, honest and sweet and very, very funny.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thank you very much! I think so too, but I'm biased. He's a real dude, honest and sweet and very, very funny.
Funny how they all have very distinct personalities.............kind of like kids
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Funny how they all have very distinct personalities.............kind of like kids
I take it you're a horsey type, longgun?