DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Can we have a 'like' button?

I support the idea of a 'like' button if it is used appropriately, and I also support a 'dislike' button. Maybe Youtube style thumbs up and thumbs down buttons would be better.

It would be great for those instances where you agree or disagree with somebody, but don't want to make another redundant post as to why that person is right or wrong that somebody else has already made. Or, you could just give somebody a little thanks for giving some good advice in those instances in which somebody is looking for help or opinions. Then, the person could have an easier time making that decision by comparing which suggestions have the most likes or dislikes

If I posted a thread saying something like "I'm getting this buzzing ring from my floor tom. What's the best way to fix it? Should I just use dampening?", and one person said to put some Moon Gels on it and got a few likes, but another person posted a link to the drum tuning bible, and got far more likes, I would decide to focus on tuning, rather than dampening. This, of course, is just an example.

I could see it decreasing the number of instances in which a thread is derailed. Say, somebody makes a comment, but includes something that is off-topic, you could just give the individual post a little 'thumbs up' to show that you agree, or vice versa, without continuing an off-topic discussion on somebody's thread.

It could also lead to a less talkative and interactive forum, however, which I don't like the idea of. And of course, you'd have those people just posting things to see how many 'likes' they could get.

I feel like most of us are smart enough to use like and/or dislike buttons responsibly.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 AM
Gold Member

I'm much more likely to dislike a like button than I am likely to like a dislike button.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Thank you TColumbia37 for you sensible and insightful reply.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 AM

Another positive thing about having a "Like" feature is that I think discussions would last longer. On other forums, if it weren't for my posts being liked, I would have never revisited the thread. Usually, when posts are liked, they are replied to. There's been a few times where I've replied to a thread and then completely forgotten about it, only to go back to it a week later and see that somebody had replied to what I had said.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Can we have a like button

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaDat View Post
can god not influence human mind? if he can then he had no need to come to earth and proove his existence. if no then he is not omnipotent and he need not be there.
...What?

―_________

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 02-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

When I see a thread with 9,800 + views and only a handful of comments then I am assured that the current system needs reviewed.

A nice big thumbs up (or thumbs down) to let people swiftly interact and have a voice.

Often still I have a desire to contribute when I've enjoyed reading something.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Two years later and you expect this to change?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS View Post
When I see a thread with 9,800 + views and only a handful of comments then I am assured that the current system needs reviewed.

A nice big thumbs up (or thumbs down) to let people swiftly interact and have a voice.
Good lord mate. Two whole years of stewing over this relatively minor episode in the course of your life? You could have set up your very own forum, complete with any buttons you saw fit to include in that time.

Surely it's time to move on, no?

Quote:
Often still I have a desire to contribute when I've enjoyed reading something.
So contribute. It would be welcomed. That's what this entire place is all about.

Just don't make the mistake of confusing pushing a button that expresses neither thought nor reason, as contribution. It's simply not......not in any language.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Just don't make the mistake of confusing pushing a button that expresses neither thought nor reason, as contribution. It's simply not......not in any language.
***Likes this post.***
Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 AM

From the FORUM RULES:

Quote:
The metaphor that we like to use is that of a dinner party.
At a dinner party, people might be inclined to nod in agreement or say "hear, hear!" or even "I LIKE THAT" after someone is done sharing their opinion. That's cool in real life because I can make a reasonable asessment of those people, because they're right in front of me and can be held accountable for their opinions and I've likely already been conversing with them. I can tell if it's a bunch of seasoned professionals that have respectable opinions based on experience, or if it's a bunch of dumb idiot morons that agree with something because it sounds cool.

On a forum, I wouldn't have a clue about who is liking this or that opinion and what kind of people they are. If someone is actually posting and partaking in the discussion with sentences, then that's useful information, and that person can be held accountable for their opinions. A "like" button, anonymous or not, isn't useful at all save for being a gauge of the popularity of something among people who would rather use a "like" button than form sentences.

I wouldn't personally care too much about the amount of "likes" that something has, because I'm an experienced drummer myself and I can judge the usefulness of the information on here pretty easily since I have an intimate knowledge of the subject matter. But a visiting layman or beginner might mistake the number of "likes" that something has for actual useful data.

"hi im new here, what kind of drums should i get?"

"anything mahogany cuz thats just the best sound and power toms r cool to"

Then some poor 10-year-old gets some dirty 90s entry-level lauan garbage heap because some forum-guest mom saw that that comment had the most likes and the craigslist ad said "phillipine mahogany". Meanwhile, everyone else is too busy clicking buttons and trying to farm likes with witty one-liner comebacks, and long-winded professions about tonewoods and shells are passť and just too much work.

A like button has its time and place, and it's not here. I don't want the doors of the dinner party to be opened to a gaggle of strangers that never say anything more than "yeah!" or "mhm."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
From the FORUM RULES:

At a dinner party, people might be inclined to nod in agreement or say "hear, hear!" or even "I LIKE THAT" after someone is done sharing their opinion. That's cool in real life because I can make a reasonable asessment of those people, because they're right in front of me and can be held accountable for their opinions and I've likely already been conversing with them. I can tell if it's a bunch of seasoned professionals that have respectable opinions based on experience, or if it's a bunch of dumb idiot morons that agree with something because it sounds cool.

On a forum, I wouldn't have a clue about who is liking this or that opinion and what kind of people they are. If someone is actually posting and partaking in the discussion with sentences, then that's useful information, and that person can be held accountable for their opinions. A "like" button, anonymous or not, isn't useful at all save for being a gauge of the popularity of something among people who would rather use a "like" button than form sentences.

I wouldn't personally care too much about the amount of "likes" that something has, because I'm an experienced drummer myself and I can judge the usefulness of the information on here pretty easily since I have an intimate knowledge of the subject matter. But a visiting layman or beginner might mistake the number of "likes" that something has for actual useful data.

"hi im new here, what kind of drums should i get?"

"anything mahogany cuz thats just the best sound and power toms r cool to"

Then some poor 10-year-old gets some dirty 90s entry-level lauan garbage heap because some forum-guest mom saw that that comment had the most likes and the craigslist ad said "phillipine mahogany". Meanwhile, everyone else is too busy clicking buttons and trying to farm likes with witty one-liner comebacks, and long-winded professions about tonewoods and shells are passť and just too much work.

A like button has its time and place, and it's not here. I don't want the doors of the dinner party to be opened to a gaggle of strangers that never say anything more than "yeah!" or "mhm."
Hear, hear! Yeah! Mhm.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't want the doors of the dinner party to be opened to a gaggle of strangers that never say anything more than "yeah!" or "mhm."
Great post! Can we have a passť button please :)

Duncan, this has been bugging me for a while. If we had a dislike button, I would target your avatar every visit. WTH is that thing? - it disturbs me :(
Old 02-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
I'm much more likely to dislike a like button than I am likely to like a dislike button.

I'm confused ...
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
WTH is that thing? - it disturbs me :(
It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. My friend is an ordained Pastafarian minister.

Quote:
I am the best drummer in the world.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I'm confused ...
I don't blame you.

In fact, I've decided to reverse my decision and have turned that situation around by a full 360 degrees!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. My friend is an ordained Pastafarian minister.
Jank is right. It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Pastafarianism is the path.

I am considering ordination.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Jank is right. It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Pastafarianism is the path.

It just pisses me off - I've no idea why, it just does. I'm telling you this, fully in the knowledge it will encourage you to keep using it ;)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
... or coordination.

This avatar goes so well with your username...

... perfect coordination :)
Old 02-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
... or coordination.

This avatar goes so well with your username...

... perfect coordination :)
That's much better Henri, & for that reason, Duncan won't use it :(
Old 02-12-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I'd like to like. Not just commenting. I haven't got time.
I think it would be nice to also have a "ban" voting button (after x number of votes the admins can ban someone).

It would be an easy way to get rid of negative nancy's
Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

There is a simple workaround for those who want a like button but aren't getting it.

Just type: I like this post.

I mean that's the crux of the biscuit, right? A person expressing that they like a certain post. It may take an extra 2 seconds compared to clicking a like button, but the results are essentially the same, except you are not anonymous.

It reminds me of.... if you can't find the remote, so you watch the same channel because you don't want to physically walk to the TV. And complain about it. There's an easy workaround.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

A "like button" gosh what this Peer-review and next you'll publish it in a journal? Been there and done that-this isn't the venue for that. Besides Peer-review in this case is professionals and novices so you could get a like and it not really be good by professional standards-although I always "like" to be encouraging. I "like" written comments that way you can weigh how meaningful it is from your own opinion of your reviewer-some folks I hold in higher esteem than others as far as an opinion. Then again a lot of people say they "like" me but they could be lying too just being polite LOL. I don't see the point in it-what next points for posts that can be added or subtracted-there is a blog that does that. It's "pointless" hee,hee
But this thread does remind me of a song- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dndAXxqJbc0
Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
There is a simple workaround for those who want a like button but aren't getting it.

Just type: I like this post.
Yep.............but that's not 20 characters!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

My wife is a big FB-er and sometimes she tells me a post of hers got like 50 likes in a few hours.

OMG I could not care any less. I like to hear why a person likes something. It's too impersonal.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Yep.............but that's not 20 characters!
A valid point indeed. See, now I know exactly why, you "dislike" my post. Had there been a thumbs down button, I wouldn't have understood why you disliked it, and maybe formed an inaccurate negative opinion of you. That's the difference right there. A like or dislike is not enough for me, I need more info.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Larry this is just for you- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE
Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Some alternatives :)
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2015, 03:44 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

. . .
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have no idea how you found a picture of me at work, Henri.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

Usual slew of rather crappy jokes.

Change can take a long time.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Change can take a long time.
It's not going to happen, squire.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Try and say "Mmmmmm" for 7 seconds while holding your nose.

Hit the "like" button if you failed :)

Quote:
I have no idea how you found a picture of me at work, Henri.
I have great coordination skills :)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

The 2008-era Apple keyboard and the computer don't quite match my desk. Other than that, spot on.