DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 PM

Default JoJo M - Perfect Balance Pedal - How does it play?

I saw one thread mentioning the Perfect Pedal by JoJo M.... But I wanted to ask you all how it plays for those of you who have one... I use a DW 9000 single and love it,

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 PM

Default Re: JoJo M - Perfect Pedal

I love mine. It's incredibly smooth and I have to remind myself to relax and stop "playing" it, and just let my foot do it's thing. I have played heel up for years and realized that it I let myself relax and play heel down, I can get the same speed and plenty of power playing heel down without the stress and energy output of heel up.

No double pedal available (and not on the horizon), so if you need double pedals then you need to look elsewhere.

If you have a drum shop nearby that has them in stock go try one out.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info BradGunnerSGT! I plan on going to my local GC and trying one out.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

I tried them both briefly and ended up bringing home the DW9000. Wasn't really a long enough try though. I should have gone back a few times for fresh impressions.
The Perfect Pedal felt really good - just at that particular time, the DW felt better.

This thread reminded me of it again though, and I'm going to put my foot back on one next time I get to a store that has it, just to see how it feels after having used the DW for a while.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm enjoying the pedal, very smooth and very durable.

Animal Life Savers
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Re: JoJo M - Perfect Balance Pedal - How does it play?

I just got the Perfect Balance pedal yesterday. Didn't get a chance to try it before I bought it online. Seemed like a cool thing but what I don't get is why they put such a cheap strap on it. I brought it to the gig and it started bottoming out right away. --Clicking on the bottom plate-- Are you supposed to shorten the strap or what? I suppose if I keep it I'll have to get some other strap to work but I wonder why the price is so high and with all the features they couldn't make it do the most basic function. I took it home and read the instructions, set it up again and same thing--clang clang--. What the Sam Hill? Anyone else have this problem? I don't know if it's worth all the effort.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Administrator

They had issues with their 1st generation strap on those pedals. The new straps are said to work fine. Contact your dealer and have that strap swapped by the new version which should be provided for free.

When I bought mine a fellow drummer brought this strap aspect to my attention and opened the box (still while being at the store) to check which strap the pedal had. Luckily it already came with the new/improved strap.

Ah - and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Bernhard; 03-31-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: (Edited by Arky)
Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

I sold my Trick Pro 1V and DW 9000 after I bought the PB pedal. The PB pedal play incredibly smooth and I don't feel like I need to put in the effort I did with the DW 9000 and Trick. The round cam feels more natural to me. The DW 9000 played heavy to me, it felt clunky and I hated where they put the spring adjustment. The Trick pedal just kepton getting heavier feeling and took more effort the closer you go to the head. It does not play as smoothly or as effortlessly as the PB pedal.

I purchased my Sonor PB pedal as soon as they came out. I also received the replacement strap when they were sent out nd replaced it. The original issue strap had some stretch and sponginess to the feel. The replacement strap is perfect, very smooth, no sense of stretchiness.

I have seen a few people comment on the folding feature of the pedal and that it is difficuly to adjust to different hoop thicknesses. This is just sour grapes from people that have not actually owned and played this pedal. I have 5 kits some with great variations in bass drum hoop thickness and it takes a few seconds to adjust the pedal for the hoop thickness. No more than any other pedal where you need to turn the wingnut to clamp it to the hoop.

Most drum shops do a diservice to this pedal by not properly setting it up on a bass drum so people can try it out correctly. If you are interested in this pedal or just simply curious , go to your local drum shop put one on a drum set and give it a good work out.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Just to say that if there are issues with the strap and you can't get a replacement, finding good-quality straps on eBay are quite easy. They're quite inexpensive, too. I don't own a Perfect Balance pedal but I do own a strap-drive pedal and have a few replacements 'just in case'.

I'm a big fan of the design of this pedal. If I had the cash, I'd have one in an instant.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM

Hey, thanks guys for the tip. I bought it on ebay-no returns-- so I can't take it back to the dealer so I'll try to find a strap on ebay..any suggestions for brand etc? I used a rogers Swiv for years and remember the hassle with the leather. I also noticed that the second generation pedals have two washers on each side of the heel plate where mine has one on each side.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Gibraltar make a pedal with kevlar reinforcement. I doubt that would stretch.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StixKamm View Post
Hey, thanks guys for the tip. I bought it on ebay-no returns-- so I can't take it back to the dealer so I'll try to find a strap on ebay..any suggestions for brand etc? I used a rogers Swiv for years and remember the hassle with the leather. I also noticed that the second generation pedals have two washers on each side of the heel plate where mine has one on each side.
I had a1st generation strap and I went through the same thing you did. I contacted Sonor directly, explained in detail what happened and left my address in the email. A week later a package arrived from Sonor with two of the newer straps. Great customer service. No problems with the new strap.

Animal Life Savers
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Is there any visual difference in the old and new straps? If there is, could someone post some pictures comparing them.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzi View Post
Is there any visual difference in the old and new straps? If there is, could someone post some pictures comparing them.
I didn't notice a visual difference, both were black but the newer one seemed a bit firmer I think. What I can say is the issue came up, was resolved and never returned.

Animal Life Savers
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bagn View Post
I had a1st generation strap and I went through the same thing you did. I contacted Sonor directly, explained in detail what happened and left my address in the email. A week later a package arrived from Sonor with two of the newer straps. Great customer service. No problems with the new strap.
I'll try contacting Sonor-that's good to know-- But I drill a hole in the strap about 3/4" and haven't noticed the problem again. I'll use it on the gig this weekend and give an update.
Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 AM

About the Perfect Balance pedal I got a week ago. After the strap being a "first generation" that bottomed out, I got a gibralter one from a local store. It makes the pedal work fine after a week of gigs. Problem is that it doesn't fold down as it should due to the shorter strap. This being one of the big selling features for me is a drag. As it is now it's like another big pedal that takes up a lot of room in my hardware bag. I contacted a dealer in Portland that said he had the same problem and is going to send me the updated second generation strap from Sonor..
All in all I really like the feel and am hopeful that this issue will not carry on after I get the new strap.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StixKamm View Post
About the Perfect Balance pedal I got a week ago. After the strap being a "first generation" that bottomed out, I got a gibralter one from a local store. It makes the pedal work fine after a week of gigs. Problem is that it doesn't fold down as it should due to the shorter strap. This being one of the big selling features for me is a drag. As it is now it's like another big pedal that takes up a lot of room in my hardware bag. I contacted a dealer in Portland that said he had the same problem and is going to send me the updated second generation strap from Sonor..
All in all I really like the feel and am hopeful that this issue will not carry on after I get the new strap.
Based on my experience, the new 2nd generation strap I received was the same length as the 1st generation strap so I'm sure yours will be also. Once on you should have no problems with folding it.

Animal Life Savers
Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 PM

Took the plunge on the pedal- it is incredible. Smooth and fast. Does whatever I want it to and can even play flat footed doubles and triples. Can also do the JoJo bass pedal technique with ease (could not on my previous Pearl pedal). Highly recommend it.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM

Finally got the new updated Perfect Balance pedal strap. It is the same length as the original one. I used it on the gigs this weekend. It was perfect. No stretching and bottoming out so far. It folds down the way it's suppose to. Nice . I suppose I can use the gibralter straps I acquired in this saga on my old Gretsch pedal. Perfect Balance is a very smooth pedal.
Thanks a lot guys for all the advice. This is a great site.
Now to find a ride cymbal that I can love to use. My artisan Vault somehow has changed over the years and sounds a bit clangy.

Thanks guys
Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM

I had one for awhile when they first came out...Technically it's a good, smooth,fast, reliable pedal but honestly for me it just didn't have the power and volume I needed. I felt like I was mashing it into the head too much trying to get the volume...Honestly the good ole dw 5000 turbo feels great to me. A lot of power with a little amount of effort...
Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 PM

I just got one, and it's by far the most natural feeling pedal i've ever played. I've owned some cheap Premier pedal(similar to Yamahas), an Iron Cobra PG, DW5000Turbo and my previous favourite, the Pearl eliminator. There's something about the Jojo pedals design that just makes it feel better to me than the Eliminator. Which I has a round cam and a belt on it also. So everyone who say it's just a belt drive pedal with around cam haven't propably played it, that's exactly what I thought it would be... Only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that the heel plate hinge has some lateral play. The pedal board doesn't wiggle at all, it's perfectly stable. but it's not perfect. Any of my previous pedals(minus the cheap Premier) had no play in their hinges even after years of heavy use...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 PM

The heel plate hinge seems to be an issue with these pedals. From the reviews I've read and seen, its either too loose with some play or too tight making the pedal stick and become very sluggish.

I just got mine today and it also has a little jiggle in the heel plate hinge. Not too big of a deal but when I compare it to the zero play in the hinge on my Speed Cobra its very noticeable.

As far as how it plays, it's very light and responsive. Certainly not as powerful as my SC but I didn't buy it for power. Playing heel down on it is an absolute joy because responds to the slightest movement giving me complete control. I may give more feed back later on after I've played it more.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

Sorry to report that I have just put my Jojo pedal out to pasture.

First pedal : wrong strap, stretched a lot, I think it caused some damage to the hinge ( foot board bottoming out, smashing on rim clamp)- got replacement strap from Sonor.
New strap- ahh...better but now the whole upright was wobbling, yes with everything tightened down correctly. Too much ' play ' in the hinge. Back it went.

Got a replacement pedal....
The replacement pedal's right spike/ spur stripped right out...the spike won't thread at all anymore. The hinge is very hard to move from the folded position to playing position , and it usually took two thumbs pressing very very hard on the hinge button to get it to release.

So I returned it, got my money back 100% and put the money on a deposit for a set of Club Dates. Had more than enough...it's clear that the pedal isn't going to hold up. At all.
I really take care of my gear and I'm not hard on stuff. I can hit hard but nothing out of the ordinary for a pedal. I have a 25 year old $50 Yamaha strap drive that's still going strong.
And my Eliminator...played week in, week out for 10 years...zero issues.

Being in a playable condition after 6 months and only about 5 gigs ain't asking much for a $300 pedal....
Sonor should be ashamed of this pedal. Not in keeping with their brand.

Neal
Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member

Everyone got so excited when they saw the promo video, it was a bit silly IMO.

I played one last week... it's not very powerful. Too much effort for me.

Stick with your dw 9million
Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

I have had mine since the day they were available in Canada and can't report any issues with it. I did change the strap out for the newer less elastic one. I play heel down for the most part. I don't find this pedal to be too light at all. Guess different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM

If you are happy with your 9000, then stick with it.

I've had the Perfect Balance pedal since January, and I can definitely say that I love it. It is incredibly smooth and articulate, and it works perfectly for my needs.

I've been on the journey to find a pedal like this for about 3 years before I picked mine up. I had an Iron Cobra Rolling Glide single pedal for 6 years, and I felt I needed something that wasn't doing so much of the work for me (I felt like my real pedal technique was lacking). I switched to a vintage Camco, then a Speed King, but found that they were not reliable enough for the continuous set-up/tear-down that I have to do (they needed a lot of maintenance to be used to their fullest).

What makes me love the Perfect Balance pedal is that it has the feel of a vintage pedal, with hardware features of a modern pedal. The folding feature of the pedal works amazingly, I've never had an issue with it.

But in thinking of getting this pedal, don't expect to have Jojo's technique with this pedal immediately. It is not like a DW9000, or any pedal currently on the market. It will not do all the work for you like most modern pedals will. You have to develop your technique to be able to play this pedal to its fullest, which will only make you a better player in the long run. It definitely doesn't have the same sense of power that a 9000 has, but if you're gigging, your kick will be mic-ed through a PA, so power and volume should never really be an issue.

I've let other drummer friends try it out, and it gets a very mixed response. Either its the pedal that you've been looking out for a lifetime, or its just not for you.

For me, its the pedal of a lifetime.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjphil View Post
I've had the Perfect Balance pedal since January, and I can definitely say that I love it. It is incredibly smooth and articulate, and it works perfectly for my needs.

I've been on the journey to find a pedal like this for about 3 years before I picked mine up. I had an Iron Cobra Rolling Glide single pedal for 6 years, and I felt I needed something that wasn't doing so much of the work for meI've let other drummer friends try it out, and it gets a very mixed response. Either its the pedal that you've been looking out for a lifetime, or its just not for you.

For me, its the pedal of a lifetime.
I currently use the IC Flexi-Glide (I'm not sure how that cam differs from the Rolling Glide) and have contemplated switching to the Perfect Balance Pedal since trying one out at a store.

How do they compare after using it for a while? How does the IC do the work for you? I actually found a few things to be immediately easier on the PB Pedal. I think I need to get my foot on it again to compare a few things.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of issues folks have had with them too; straps, hinges, not folding corectly, etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I currently use the IC Flexi-Glide (I'm not sure how that cam differs from the Rolling Glide) and have contemplated switching to the Perfect Balance Pedal since trying one out at a store.

How do they compare after using it for a while? How does the IC do the work for you? I actually found a few things to be immediately easier on the PB Pedal. I think I need to get my foot on it again to compare a few things.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of issues folks have had with them too; straps, hinges, not folding corectly, etc.

I've been enlightened with a recent purchase, one of the benefits being the effects on the bass drum pedals ease of manipulation.

Balance doesn't come from the pedal, no matter what pedal you have/use the balance of your body is centered in your core, body positioning can be changed/shifted to produce varying degrees of resistance on the bass drum pedal. The angle of your lower and upper legs, the distance... varying these body positionings produce an effect on your pedal.

What Im getting at is its not the pedal. Most are looking for a pedal that feels good, one that while there's other factors considered in the purchase, the main factor (quite possibly unbeknownst) is that it fits in with their sitting posture. Change your posture/seat positioning and you change the feels of your pedal.

Problem is when you change your positioning you also change the feel/mechanics of your upper body, your arms and what your hands can do. These two pieces of the pie rarely line-up in harmony, and when they do its usually not lasting b/c the body goes through changes that effect balance, even while playing.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

I got one, but find it too wimpy on my acoustic kit. It now lives happily on my edrum kit.
I prefer my good old Tama Iron Cobra.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:

How do they compare after using it for a while? How does the IC do the work for you?
My Iron Cobra uses all of its engineered tools (Cobra Coil, Speedo Ring, etc.) to make the pedal feel like its stuck to your foot. Which is a great thing! But I found that I relied on that feeling too much, and my real, balanced pedal technique was lost and never fully realized. This was because of the fact that I didn't have to think about where the pedal would be, it was always stuck to my foot. So as long as I put my foot down, there would be a consistent hit.

That's why I love the Perfect Balance pedal, it doesn't do all of the "heavy-lifting" for you, like most of the modern pedals do. It relies on your technique much more so than others on the market. You have to be able to find the balance, much like you would with a drumstick, to be able to play it efficiently. Which will make you a stronger player in the long run.

Some people may think the opposite way, in that their pedal should be doing the work for you. Which is great! If there is a pedal that works best for you, then use it. I personally love my Perfect Balance pedal, and am happy that I no longer have to gig with my Speed King or Camco, but can still get that same feeling of balance from a modern piece of hardware with modern features.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 AM

I find not everyone knows how to adjust these things either...for example, there's no reason for it to bottom out regardless of the strap...the beat hub is adjustable itself.. I pointed it out to the salesman selling it to me....
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjphil View Post
Some people may think the opposite way, in that their pedal should be doing the work for you.
Isn't that the shame of musicians in the modern day? I think that's where this whole "swag-core" thing came up: we're not willing to put in the effort to learn something, we just want instant gratification from our gear. I've been guilty of it too and it took one hell of an attitude adjustment (and a good long look at my eviscerated bank balance) to realise what was lacking in my playing. And it wasn't the gear by a long shot.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Isn't that the shame of musicians in the modern day? I think that's where this whole "swag-core" thing came up: we're not willing to put in the effort to learn something, we just want instant gratification from our gear. I've been guilty of it too and it took one hell of an attitude adjustment (and a good long look at my eviscerated bank balance) to realise what was lacking in my playing. And it wasn't the gear by a long shot.
well said, yet i also finds that brands now tends to over engineer things too.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumalltheway View Post
well said, yet i also finds that brands now tends to over engineer things too.
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of DW's stuff. For me, there is just no reason for stuff to be that heavy, over-engineered, over-built, and gimmicky. Plus they're just ridiculously expensive for the most part.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:47 AM

To be honest, this pedal has piqued my interest again...I feel like I want to tweak it more to see if I was missing something the first time...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
One of the reasons I'm not a fan of DW's stuff. For me, there is just no reason for stuff to be that heavy, over-engineered, over-built, and gimmicky. Plus they're just ridiculously expensive for the most part.
I played DW for many many years and have a DW double pedal, but as I get older and my tastes changed I wanted to switch to a single. I tried the newer DW's at first because I've basically always had a DW pedal and they are much heavier and over-built than my 20 year old DW double pedal is, and I thought my old pedal was heavy and laboring.

I wanted something lighter and more articulate and ran across the Perfect Balance pedal at the drum shop and was instantly hooked. I realized that you basically have to really rethink how you play a pedal with it, especially if you come from the DW line, but once I figured out its nuances I was doing things with it that I never was able to do on my DW.

I was able to get a good price on it so I took it home. Made sure I screwed down everything on it (strap screws were a little loose, but I love that it uses standard components for everything). Can't say enough about it. If you're playing metal or want to be loud then no this is not the pedal for you. If you want to be articulate and do some crazy stuff you never thought possible with a single pedal then yes, I'm not sure there's a better pedal. It takes a bit to get used to, but I absolutely love it.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch-o-rama View Post
To be honest, this pedal has piqued my interest again...I feel like I want to tweak it more to see if I was missing something the first time...
When the pedal was working, I loved it. But it just didn't last long ... Twice. And I know two others that had to return them. I (and the other two) are not metal players, don't play exceedingly hard/heavy and generally take good care of gear.
The JoJo pedal is just not up for the long haul. I can't be the only one with this experience...?
Like I said...I have 10 years in on a Pearl eliminator...no problems...hell...I have 20 years on a Yamaha 700 pedal...also zero issues.

[14 CREW]
Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 AM

I tried out a Perfect Balance at a local music store, and I liked it. I love the balance and the way the pedal feels. It feels like you have more control over the beater, as appose to firing a catapult at the batter head.

That being said, anyone who has the chance, if you like the feel of the Perfect Balance, check out the Yamaha 7210 single pedal. The chain drive version of the pedal is like seventy bucks, but for I believe $135.00 you can buy a strap drive version of the same pedal.

I bought mine second hand barely used for 30 dollars, but you can find them on Amazon in the chain drive version, and in a magazine I looked it they mentioned the option for strap drive.

I adore this pedal. It is absolutely perfect, and feels as though it was designed specifically for my foot. The only issue I have is it's got the prongs as appose to a footboard, but I've even grown used to that in the months I've been using the pedal.