DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

As some of you know, it's been a semi-rough last ten months for me. When dad passed away from cancer last October, many of you sent condolences, and I totally appreciated that - proving even more so that drummers are different from other instrumentalists, for caring about a fellow drummer. Well, here we are, ten months later, still moving forward, but still sorta dealing with this hole.

In my Hawaiian family (and maybe alot of other families) we have a celebration at the one-year anniversary of dad's passing with a huge get-together, which we're doing in October on the islands. After that my mom said she'll begin to go through the house and start moving dad's things out by re-distribution to other family members - so I guess that's when her grieving ends and she begins to move forward. That'll be hard, I know.

In the interim, I honored both mom and dad by getting back to the old Slingerland drums that they started me on some 40 years ago now (it's seem unreal that that's how long ago that was!). And mom thought that was cool. But something has begun to change in me these last few months. I've spent all my life doing things to get away from my crazy family, and lately all I've wanted to do was throw barbecues and invite them all over all the time. I guess I'm beginning to embrace my Hawaiian-ness? The negative side of me is saying "well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em", but the positive side is telling me there's no shame in discovering that I actually love my family, and the fact that we're based in Hawaii is even cooler - and maybe a year ago when I said I'm going on vacation it was always somewhere where my family wasn't. Now, I don't mind going to Hawaii. It actually feels like home.

But I may be embracing even more family than I'm willing to admit. When mom thought the Slingerland's were cool, the thing I didn't know is how much she'd lit up when she found out I had a ukulele in my house. Then she told me she actually has a vintage pro ukulele, and was quite a player when she was younger (before she had her kids). Unknown to me was that both she and dad played, and my dad even played mandolin (it bugs me when I find out that my dad was pretty cool after he dies!). Anyway, it surprised me that she knew so much about playing ukulele, I'm sort of at a loss. I had thought both really weren't that musical and that they were just tolerating my drumming.

To admit my closeness with family, I've invested in a pro ukulele to be able to sit around and play with mom (and the rest of the family). I know a few chords, but basically a remedial player, but to see mom light up about the subject is worth it. It's a deeper connection because it's what they did, and I want to know more about it. And I've been on YouTube looking at these incredible ukulele players - like any instrument, it's being pushed beyond its island boundaries and like some drumming, it's downright scary what people are doing. I've been searching for melodic instruments for my musical expression outside of drumming and I think I've found it. I tried guitar, piano you have to take in college, I have no desire to play a horn or a violin, but the unassuming ukulele seems to be it. Seems crazy.

And I thought a friend of mine was crazy spending $700 on an acoustic guitar made by Taylor that he couldn't play (which is really cheap, I guess). Well, I just spent $1500 on this ukulele. Why did I complain about spending $450 on a used Supraphonic again?

So I'm still playing drums, but I've never felt connected to another instrument until now. I'm not ready to tell my family why I'm doing this, but I figured I could tell you folks. Perhaps the why will become apparent as I get better at this. But this is probably my physical embodiment of saying I love my family.

Unless they drive me crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Jonny Sumo's Avatar
Jonny Sumo Jonny Sumo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brigg nr Scunthorpe, UK
Posts: 160
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Hey Bo, not really sure if you're looking for replies or input, or just that you wanted to say what you have said...I lost my Dad 20 years ago this year, still miss him very much; in some ways more now than in the first year or so. As I've 'aged' I find I appreciate what he did for me and my Mother more and more.
Glad you've 'found' the ukele bro, practice long ahd hard and have some fun with it!!
take care, J
__________________
'I STILL wanna be the man with the 50lb hammer...'
www.reverbnation.com/jonnysumo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM
nightraider43's Avatar
nightraider43 nightraider43 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 202
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

That is very cool Bo. I wasn't on DW 10 months ago so I would like to say I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my father in '90.
And with both of you parents playing ukulele. ..it almost seems as if it is a way of holding your mom and dad closer to your heart and with an instrument that is so expressive. Enjoy your new journey.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Magenta's Avatar
Magenta Magenta is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gwlad Cymru
Posts: 1,585
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraider43 View Post
That is very cool Bo. I wasn't on DW 10 months ago so I would like to say I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my father in '90.
And with both of you parents playing ukulele. ..it almost seems as if it is a way of holding your mom and dad closer to your heart and with an instrument that is so expressive. Enjoy your new journey.
^^^ Everything I wanted to say, but more beautifully expressed.
__________________
Thinly veiled tigress
Ladies and gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,310
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Great account and reinforcement of how music can keep you eternally connected to your folks and heritage.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 14,772
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

I lost one of my three sisters 5 years ago and had a similar train of thought. I'm in Florida. She was in Missouri. One sister in Maryland and the other in North Carolina.
We all just did our own things and spoke on birthdays and holidays etc., but in my mind not very close. When my sister died all of this changed. More phone calls, more time spent together. I have no problem now telling people how I feel and telling my siblings as well. As for the Uke, well that's special to you and will be special to your family in due time. For a small guy you have the biggest heart on this forum with regard to family. Nothing but props for that. And if they, at times, didn't drive you crazy, you wouldn't be who you are. Peace.
__________________
Suum Cuique

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 07-28-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

I think it was Mark Twain who said something to the effect of how amazing it was that his parents got smarter as he got older. I think this is what you are experiencing. But whatever the reason it sounds like a wonderful place to be.
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2013, 04:45 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 12,240
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

What a nice post. Warms my heart Bo. Good for you man. Very mature outlook on things. Were you born in Hawaii?
__________________
Latest project: A voodoo doll in the likeness of Phil
Wanted: A personal belonging of Phil's
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What a nice post. Warms my heart Bo. Good for you man. Very mature outlook on things. Were you born in Hawaii?
Thanks Mary - I should've just quoted Mark Twain! Definitely alot shorter than what I wrote!

And Larry - no, I was actually born in California. But the family (which is quite large) has traveled back and forth all through the years. My mom was one of nine kids, and my dad was one of three. But on the islands it's true: everybody is your cousin, auntie or uncle, grandparent, so I grew up with this huge extended family. When we threw the first big party at my house for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, the guest list topped out at 300 or so, and there wasn't anyone there that I'd never seen before.

Now that I think about it, being my dad's son, I think he'd already done what I'm doing. In the 50s, he left to join the army, ended up in Germany. In fact, years ago he told me he didn't want to be a Marine because they always ended up on Guam or some other Pacific Island - which he was trying to get away from too. He settled in Los Angeles after his European stint and brought mom over, and all of their kids were born here. I recall I'd always joked when someone asked where I was from, I'd say "Hawaii via Motown" because I wanted to be a funky soul brother on the drums ever since I was a kid - so apparently this "get away from the family" bit has been going on all my life. And I think in a way, dad did that too - but he never told me if he made a conscious effort to re-connect, he probably did.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 12,240
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

I always wanted to get away from my family too, I can relate for sure. Not that they're bad people, they're not. I just wanted to do my own thing. Looking back it was probably a judgement thing. What they didn't know wouldn't upset them. I have never been mainstream at all, more alternative, and that was never agreed with by anyone in my family. I can't change who I am.
__________________
Latest project: A voodoo doll in the likeness of Phil
Wanted: A personal belonging of Phil's
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 482
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

After reading your post, Bo, I went to this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DKWlrA24k

...and then I got dust in my eyes.

At its best and most magical, life is full of surprises.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
After reading your post, Bo, I went to this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DKWlrA24k

...and then I got dust in my eyes.

At its best and most magical, life is full of surprises.
Thanks man, dad loved that song.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 14,772
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Great song, I have his album. Great choice James
__________________
Suum Cuique
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

That's a great story. Thanks. I've found that it's ok to love my crazy family. I don't agree with them on many things but when we're together I actually enjoy it now. You can disgaree with them in quiet but still be respectful of your family and who they are. I find that being forgiving and accepting gives me peace and power at the same time. Good for you Bo.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Nice story, Bo. You come across as a real natural when you drum and sing so it makes sense that some of it is genetic. Must be lovely for music to be a point of family connection. For me, music was a gulf over which my family could only partially cross and, some of them, not at all.

As for ukes, earlier this year the band played "unplugged" at a ukelele night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUTkrfP0nXY but it should be said that a fair few of the earlier performances were hard to sit through. The uke is a double edged sword :)

Interested in this comment of yours, Bo.

"And I've been on YouTube looking at these incredible ukulele players - like any instrument, it's being pushed beyond its island boundaries and like some drumming, it's downright scary what people are doing".

Can you recommend any links?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Nice story, Bo. You come across as a real natural when you drum and sing so it makes sense that some of it is genetic. Must be lovely for music to be a point of family connection. For me, music was a gulf over which my family could only partially cross and, some of them, not at all.

As for ukes, earlier this year the band played "unplugged" at a ukelele night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUTkrfP0nXY but it should be said that a fair few of the earlier performances were hard to sit through. The uke is a double edged sword :)

Interested in this comment of yours, Bo.

"And I've been on YouTube looking at these incredible ukulele players - like any instrument, it's being pushed beyond its island boundaries and like some drumming, it's downright scary what people are doing".

Can you recommend any links?
Thanks, I'd like to think my talent just came from nowhere though ;)

Regarding links, there's one guy with a ton of videos on YouTube that's really pushing the boundaries, and that's Jake Shimabukuro - he even does a solo rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody - and is justly the big ukulele thing right now. Another artist, being touted by people like session man Tom Scott is Brittni Patvia (?), although a really good player, not really pushing it like Jake. Jake is kinda' like Jojo who is pushing the envelope on what you can do with the instrument, I'd check him out. Another older player I really is Kimo Hussey (he's has videos too) and he, along with Lyle Ritz, are kings of jazz ukulele.

My whole life I just heard these traditional Hawaiian songs on ukulele which I guess was a turn-off in my younger days, but I plan on using it to play Beatles, Hendrix, my usual rock covers....and granted others have done it already, but at least I know that it can be done (and not be laughed at:).

I'm excited as I get to pick-up the uke' tomorrow at the FedEx office. It should blow the doors off of that uke I have at home now!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Wow, just listened to Jake Shimabukuro - I see what you mean. This is stunning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Yeah, whack it through a fuzz box and play Hendrix licks :) Or maybe an octave splitter and try to sound like a sitar :))
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Wow, just listened to Jake Shimabukuro - I see what you mean. This is stunning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Yeah, whack it through a fuzz box and play Hendrix licks :) Or maybe an octave splitter and try to sound like a sitar :))
Oddly enough, I just picked up one of those Boss pedal board thingy's (an ME70) that has three pedals and an expression pedal - so I have access to all of those effects (including a looper). Sort of an idiotic impulse buy since I don't handle the instrument well enough at this point, but I know I'll push it one day and give it a shot!

I think, like alot of people around the world think, this Jake guy is pushing the ukulele envelope totally out of shape.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 AM
kekoa68 kekoa68 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 43
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Thanks Mary - I should've just quoted Mark Twain! Definitely alot shorter than what I wrote!

And Larry - no, I was actually born in California. But the family (which is quite large) has traveled back and forth all through the years. My mom was one of nine kids, and my dad was one of three. But on the islands it's true: everybody is your cousin, auntie or uncle, grandparent, so I grew up with this huge extended family. When we threw the first big party at my house for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, the guest list topped out at 300 or so, and there wasn't anyone there that I'd never seen before.

Now that I think about it, being my dad's son, I think he'd already done what I'm doing. In the 50s, he left to join the army, ended up in Germany. In fact, years ago he told me he didn't want to be a Marine because they always ended up on Guam or some other Pacific Island - which he was trying to get away from too. He settled in Los Angeles after his European stint and brought mom over, and all of their kids were born here. I recall I'd always joked when someone asked where I was from, I'd say "Hawaii via Motown" because I wanted to be a funky soul brother on the drums ever since I was a kid - so apparently this "get away from the family" bit has been going on all my life. And I think in a way, dad did that too - but he never told me if he made a conscious effort to re-connect, he probably did.
We have shockingly similar upbringings except my dad was a haole serviceman who snagged my mom from the islands and landed in long Beach. I too was subjected to traditional and gospel type uke playing from an early age. It wasn't until I was about 30 that I was able to get over my metal head mentality and appreciate what the uke has to offer. My uncle was a slack key musician on the island and turned me on to the Ka'au Crater Brothers. They're pretty old school but were innovators in their time. Check out their song " On Fire " ( not the North Shore On Fire ) just On Fire. Enjoy the new uke. I jumped in deep at the time as well. But mine only cost 600.00........It is a 6 string though!

Btw, thanks to whoever linked the IZ song. Makes me well up everytime i hear it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekoa68 View Post
We have shockingly similar upbringings except my dad was a haole serviceman who snagged my mom from the islands and landed in long Beach. I too was subjected to traditional and gospel type uke playing from an early age. It wasn't until I was about 30 that I was able to get over my metal head mentality and appreciate what the uke has to offer. My uncle was a slack key musician on the island and turned me on to the Ka'au Crater Brothers. They're pretty old school but were innovators in their time. Check out their song " On Fire " ( not the North Shore On Fire ) just On Fire. Enjoy the new uke. I jumped in deep at the time as well. But mine only cost 600.00........It is a 6 string though!

Btw, thanks to whoever linked the IZ song. Makes me well up everytime i hear it.
I'll bet we're related somehow ;)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 AM
kekoa68 kekoa68 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 43
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

It's entirely possible. Hopefully not through a banjo playing squeal like a pig sort of way! West side Maui here.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekoa68 View Post
It's entirely possible. Hopefully not through a banjo playing squeal like a pig sort of way! West side Maui here.
Ah. Perhaps not then. We're North Shore, Oahu. I love going to Maui for an actual vacation - none of my family are there ;) Usually when I go to Oahu, by the time I've visited everybody it's time to go home - not really a vacation!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 AM
BlueSky's Avatar
BlueSky BlueSky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Middleburg, FL (a little south of Jacksonville)
Posts: 53
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraider43 View Post
That is very cool Bo. I wasn't on DW 10 months ago so I would like to say I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my father in '90.
And with both of you parents playing ukulele. ..it almost seems as if it is a way of holding your mom and dad closer to your heart and with an instrument that is so expressive. Enjoy your new journey.

Steve
...Repeating Magenta, much more eloquently than I could have said it.

Cancer and loss does funny things to all of us, making small things seem big and big things seem small. I am fortunate enough to not have lost anyone to cancer, but my sister is 12 years in remission and my husband is going through treatment right now. It has changed my relationship with both of them, and the rest of the family.

And I thought a friend of mine was crazy spending $700 on an acoustic guitar made by Taylor that he couldn't play (which is really cheap, I guess). Well, I just spent $1500 on this ukulele.

...
I just spent close to $900 in two weeks on my kit, cymbals, and all the needed drum paraphenailia, and the only reason I had was because wanted to learn how to play. I think $1500 for something that is going to honor your dad, make your mom happy and draw your family closer is a great "deal".

** "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is one of my all-time favorites. Its actually the only song on my mp3 that isn't some sub genre of rock. Can't wait to hear your version on youtube.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
...Repeating Magenta, much more eloquently than I could have said it.

Cancer and loss does funny things to all of us, making small things seem big and big things seem small. I am fortunate enough to not have lost anyone to cancer, but my sister is 12 years in remission and my husband is going through treatment right now. It has changed my relationship with both of them, and the rest of the family.

And I thought a friend of mine was crazy spending $700 on an acoustic guitar made by Taylor that he couldn't play (which is really cheap, I guess). Well, I just spent $1500 on this ukulele.

...
I just spent close to $900 in two weeks on my kit, cymbals, and all the needed drum paraphenailia, and the only reason I had was because wanted to learn how to play. I think $1500 for something that is going to honor your dad, make your mom happy and draw your family closer is a great "deal".

** "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is one of my all-time favorites. Its actually the only song on my mp3 that isn't some sub genre of rock. Can't wait to hear your version on youtube.
Thanks so much for the kind words. I've received my 'mega-ukulele' the other day and haven't really been able to put it down. Oddly enough, I've been going through my Beatles book ;)

Next up, there's a guy who's teaching how to play Jimi Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary, I'm jumping on that next. This just reinforces the fact of why I have expensive pro drums - playing is alot easier compared to my cheaper ukuleles now collecting dust.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Since this thread is on the subject ukuleles, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the new instrument. Of course, many of us have seen wonderful wood finishes on guitars, and we marvel at that look translating to a set of drums. But for some reason, I think I expect it on a string instrument, but not so much on drums. In the past I've had beautifully stained drums and they never stayed with me very long. I always felt they were too fragile and the inevitable scratch was just bound to happen sooner than later. With my aged, worn-in Ludwig thermagloss maples, I like that look, but nothing prettier, please. To see this quality of a finish on the unassuming ukulele is absolutely breathtaking, though. I hope you appreciate some fine koa wood here ;)

The picture of the headstock is actually koa wood inlaid into the mahogany - wouldn't it be cool if drum badges were done like this? Or using a mother-of-pearl inlay for the badge? I'm sure it would make the drum cost even more, but it is pretty. The body is solid koa, and the neck is mahogony, with an ebony fretboard. Not too much bling (you can certainly get it that way if you spend enough money, though).
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 15,118
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Since this thread is on the subject ukuleles, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the new instrument.
Sorry I'm late to this thread Bo. I missed a ton of threads being away for much of last week/weekend.

First up, your story resonates very much with me, although there is no family musical connection to act as a catalyst. Placing a concentration on precious smiles from your mother is absolutely the thing to do. Treasure her, then treasure her again. You're a good man, & I'm honoured to "know" you.

Back to the uke - beautiful instrument. A lot of skill & love right there, but isn't it funny how us drummers can see $1500 worth of value in a stringed instrument, yet baulk at the same price tag on a snare drum. At the high end, similar skills, similar work, similar costs.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 294
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Wow Bo what a beautiful thread. I lost my Dad some 19 years ago and I still miss him and think of him often. I'm so sorry for your loss and kudos for your efforts with your Mom. After I lost my Dad my Mom lived with my wife, kids, and I for 4 years (she moved in with other siblings and now is at this Retirement home with folks from her age-she is so happy). We both often would sit and cry lamenting our loss. But as a word of encouragement now we still remember but now it is more a celebration-certain situations we always think of him and celebrate his life with a smile rather than tears. Music threads through my family too-even discovered my Dad played marching band snare-which I never knew. Actually there was a lot I didn't know about my Dad till his death-details of his service to our country, details of his rough early years and overcoming obstacles, and his great philanthropy (lots of letters from folks telling me of his huge heart and giving nature that really changed their lives). I was overwhelmed and wish I were half the man he was.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,247
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Music threads through my family too-even discovered my Dad played marching band snare-which I never knew. Actually there was a lot I didn't know about my Dad till his death-details of his service to our country, details of his rough early years and overcoming obstacles, and his great philanthropy (lots of letters from folks telling me of his huge heart and giving nature that really changed their lives). I was overwhelmed and wish I were half the man he was.
Yeah, it was strange to find out how cool my dad was during the after-funeral celebration. The whole day I was like "How come nobody ever told me?" I guess at a certain point, your parents become your parents and we (the kids) become the main focus. Myself, never having kids of my own will probably never understand that - I'm still selfish looking out for me I guess ;)

And yeah Andy, you're absolutely right. When I see a beautiful stringed instrument, the price doesn't surprise me. And I recall playing a beautiful Noble&Cooley snare drum back in the late 80s and proclaiming "yep - it's a snare drum folks!". It might be because from a young age those immortal words of Tony Williams stuck in my head when he said, and I paraphrase, "drums are cool, but they're not like other instruments being made by hand - they're made by machines". And for me back then, I couldn't really discern the difference between a single-ply steam bent shell lovingly crafted into a drum and one made out of a bunch of thin pies and glue bent and cooked into a shell.

In fact, when I saw the Drum Workshop video on how they make their drums, I was kinda' disappointed when I discovered that the pretty part is just the final outside ply. And of course, there's always the consideration of where those drums will be actually played - for me, not in many situations where they'd be respected and gawked at. My drums will likely suffer beer spills and bumps and bruises.

But I'm older now and I can tell the difference with what Guru and Craviotto and others are doing - but I'm still heavily influenced by the fact that guys like Steve Gadd can kick my a$$ playing a trash can lid, though ;)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Great story Bo! I've always been fascinated with the ukulele. Mark Twain sure knew a thing or two, didn't he? ;-p

Good luck with the uke.

BTW, when I was 13, I played at a luau. My good friend would do these luaus with the hula dancers, and he needed me to bring my floor tom. I had only had my kit for a few months. We got there early and worked out the beats. They had a guy who played the ukulele, and I really dug how it was a smaller version of a guitar. This was my first ever paying gig, got $20. :-)
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums

Last edited by Mendozart; 08-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com