DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Default What makes your blood boil??

I was inspired by a comment from MrInsanePolack earlier, which made me think 'What makes us mad?'. I don't just mean a little bit mad, I mean the sort of 'mad' where, if there weren't prisons or mental hospitals, you really don't know what your actions would be?

For me; peoples behaviour in supermarkets. Standing at one shelf with their trolley in front of another so they prevent you from accessing 15 feet of shopping items while they try to choose which low fat yoghurt they're gonna buy...they're so fat they probably eat the packaging wrapped in chocolate sauce before.....ok, you get the picture.

Txt speak, smileys :), drunks, ppls driving...whatever it is, you can tell us....
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What makes your blood boil??

Too much stuff to even start getting into it.
One observation I made is that over time (that is, over A LONG LONG time) those things tend to annoy me (slightly) less. But this process is so utterly slow that it won't really help coping with it in this lifetime. I'm noticing that I'm developing more tolerance towards many things that used to annoy me a lot. But there's a reasonable limit to this. Some things (way of conduct/manners, views etc) should not be accepted.

In the end I can reduce most of those things to one cause: stupidity. And it seems many people have on overdose of it.

(To be honest, there's a number of things that I hate about myself but I keep doing them... damn.)
Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Dont really like people. Yea, people as a whole annoy me, most of the time.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

Here is a short list:

1. People with no manners. Even dogs can be taught manners.
2. Ignorance. Not knowing something but speaking on it like an expert.
3. Intentionally modified communication skills.
4. People who are so self absorbed they have no clue as to what is going on in their immediate vicinity. (the supermarket example is great)
5. People who don't let anyone finish a sentence before they start talking because they aren't listening, rather thinking about what they are going to say, and thus missing the point all together.

I can put up with stupid people fairly easily as long as they don't fall into these categories. I know a few dummies who are very well adjusted, nice, fun to be around folks.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Orthographically/grammatically: could of, would of, should of, realy, alot. Misuse of apostrophes. Misuse of "I" when it should be "me": "between you and I", grr. "Less" when it should be "fewer". "Like" when it should be "as if". (My family are a sore trial to me!)

People who believe what they read in the Daily Mail.

People who repeat themselves. People who repeat themselves.

And trivial stuff like racism, sexism, homophobia and cruelty.

Phew, that feels better!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Sumo View Post
I was inspired by a comment from MrInsanePolack earlier, which made me think 'What makes us mad?'. I don't just mean a little bit mad, I mean the sort of 'mad' where, if there weren't prisons or mental hospitals, you really don't know what your actions would be?

For me; peoples behaviour in supermarkets. Standing at one shelf with their trolley in front of another so they prevent you from accessing 15 feet of shopping items while they try to choose which low fat yoghurt they're gonna buy...they're so fat they probably eat the packaging wrapped in chocolate sauce before.....ok, you get the picture.

Txt speak, smileys :), drunks, ppls driving...whatever it is, you can tell us....
Actually, the only thing that really gets to me are people who can't take a joke.
Although, I'm not old and am still considerably young, so nothing really makes my blood boil yet.
Otherwise, people who are impatient in the grocery store whilst I'm looking for low fat yogurt really makes my blood boil... ;)
Other than that, I try to be relaxed and not care about other folk's stupidity.
I don't remember who this was from, but, "He who angers you, has control over you."
It's worked out so far. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Well aren't you just a charming ol' bloke, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Here is a short list:

1. People with no manners. Even dogs can be taught manners.
2. Ignorance. Not knowing something but speaking on it like an expert.
3. Intentionally modified communication skills.
Sorry, I only read up to three, so I only copied up to three. Can you clarify what you mean by, "Intentionally modified communication skills?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Orthographically/grammatically: could of, would of, should of, realy, alot. Misuse of apostrophes. Misuse of "I" when it should be "me": "between you and I", grr. "Less" when it should be "fewer". "Like" when it should be "as if". (My family are a sore trial to me!)

Phew, that feels better!
Yeah, although I never liked female drummers. People act like there all that. I should of become a bass player. The most they argue about is, "To use plectrum, or not to use plectrum!" I should of become a bass player. Also, I have gay friends, and gay marriage is all right! As long as a gay man marries a gay woman, and a gay woman marries a gay man! ;)

Can I make everyone's blood boil in a single post? I think so...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

I know it's not fair, and in some cases they can't help it, but I just really hate stupid people or those constantly seeking approval or attention from everyone around them.

So basically everyone who can't stay off facebook and live a fake life on it counts in this category.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

Know what really makes my blood boil? Being on a space suit on a space walk when a pin sized meteor hits my face plate and causes a sudden catastrophic loss of pressure. That REALLY makes my blood boil. REALLY!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I know it's not fair, and in some cases they can't help it, but I just really hate stupid people or those constantly seeking approval or attention from everyone around them.

So basically everyone who can't stay off facebook and live a fake life on it counts in this category.
True, Facebook has become boring advertisement. I can't get on without seeing stupid posts for likes, and if I don't, I'm going to hell. I've thought about deleting it many times, but have always kept it so that I can still at least contact friends and acquaintances if I need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Know what really makes my blood boil? Being on a space suit on a space walk when a pin sized meteor hits my face plate and causes a sudden catastrophic loss of pressure. That REALLY makes my blood boil. REALLY!
I thought that would make your blood freeze? Sorry, I'm a little rusty on my physics...

Last edited by Bernhard; 07-27-2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
Sorry, I only read up to three, so I only copied up to three. Can you clarify what you mean by, "Intentionally modified communication skills?"
When people intentionally shorten words because they are either lazy or think it's cute, and use text speak instead of actual words. "OMG, those peeps who put ravis in the wave cuz their fam'd, and BTW the wave is off by 30 secs." Yeah that is irritating.

You only read 3 and moved on, that sort of falls under number 5. Do you always only read half the post?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
True, Facebook has become boring advertisement. I can't get on without seeing stupid posts for likes, and if I don't, I'm going to hell. I've thought about deleting it many times, but have always kept it so that I can still at least contact friends and acquaintances if I need them.
I don't have one. Never did. I do know a few people who can not be idiots on it, but most facebooks I look at are really stupid. It's like middle-school crap all over again. Everyone competing to see who's baby is the cutest by how many "likes" they get, taking vanity pictures in front of the mirror to put on their freaking facebook, posting everywhere they go and everything they do in an effort to look more hip and happening than their peers. Women especially use it as a competition platform I find, but there are plenty of douchey "bros" on there showing off, too. That site literally can ruin lives and destroy any semblance of privacy.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
When people intentionally shorten words because they are either lazy or think it's cute, and use text speak instead of actual words. "OMG, those peeps who put ravis in the wave cuz their fam'd, and BTW the wave is off by 30 secs." Yeah that is irritating.

You only read 3 and moved on, that sort of falls under number 5. Do you always only read half the post?
It was part of the on-going joke, mate. :)
I did indeed read number 5.
Also, what does that example say? I fail to understand what language it's in...
Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Also, what does that example say? I fail to understand what language it's in...
It should read, "Oh my God, those people who put raviolis in the microwave because they are famished, and by the way, the microwave is off by 30 seconds." I know the sentence itself is ridiculous, but I feel it does a good job of making my point. I see no reason to talk like this.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Well, like Aidee, I'm not the biggest fan of people in general and I do go out of my way to avoid crowds, but on the same token, I'd be the first to help in an emergency if it was in my power to do so. My disdain for society is equally matched with a deep understanding and love for the human race. I call it a race because we are all one in a way, if you think about it long enough. We all do the same crap, and we all make the same mistakes no matter what language we speak.

Having said that, the only time I lose my inner peace anymore is in traffic.My tongue does seem to get the better of me in that situation. But this isn't all the time, not at all, and it never turns into a rage. I couldn't even imagine getting that angry. But I've seen this type of rage anger in other people, and it is not a pretty sight to see. It is very primal and unforgiving and sad.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Nothing really makes my blood boil. I'm too cool for that lol. Plus I have a long fuse. Well OK the government can get me going. And pill pushing "lets charge you to make you sicker" doctors. People first in line for the green arrow who take their good old time getting around to accelerating strike me as inconsiderate boobs, but I just shake my head. Getting irritated does nothing to brighten my day. I do hate it when I lose tools THAT I JUST HAD, AND I HAVEN'T MOVED...

But basically, the weather is beautiful inside my head.

Gomez Addams
Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
But basically, the weather is beautiful inside my head.
Emotional Weather Report - Tom Waits

late night and early morning low clouds
with a chance of fog
chance of showers into the afternoon
with variable high cloudiness
and gusty winds, gusty winds
at times around the corner of
Sunset and Alvorado
things are tough all over
when the thunder storms start
increasing over the southeast
and south central portions
of my apartment, I get upset
and a line of thunderstorms was
developing in the early morning
ahead of a slow moving coldfront
cold blooded
with tornado watches issued shortly
before noon Sunday, for the areas
including, the western region
of my mental health
and the northern portions of my
ability to deal rationally with my
disconcerted precarious emotional
situation, it's cold out there
colder than a ticket taker's smile
at the Ivar Theatre, on a Saturday night
flash flood watches covered the
southern portion of my disposition
there was no severe weather well
into the afternoon, except for a lone gust of
wind in the bedroom
in a high pressure zone, covering the eastern
portion of a small suburban community
with a 103 and millibar high pressure zone
and a weak pressure ridge extending from
my eyes down to my cheeks cause since
you left me baby
and put the vice grips on my mental health
well the extended outlook for an
indefinite period of time until you
come back to me baby is high tonight
low tomorrow, and precipitation is expected
Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 AM

since I started the thread I've given this quite a lot of thought; I do get angry through frustration sometimes but not really 'blood boiling' mad at all. I find environments rather that people trigger this, although sometimes people can be the provocation.
It's hard to deal with my patient group sometimes at work; I had one guy (personality disordered) a couple of years ago who thought everything was about him. He could turn any comment or conversation or issue into being specifically about him, like the whole world revolved around his emotions, his feelings and the hell with everyone else or how much he upset them.I found it very difficult to work with him, even though I knew he was ill, and that led to me being angrier with other people and situations. Often wonder where he ended up.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Quote:
Well aren't you just a charming ol' bloke, haha.
Hehe - actually, he's as nice a man as you'll ever meet online. Some of the most pleasant people you'll ever meet are misanthropists - they're just disappointed that people can't be more decent to each other.

I'm the one who makes my blood boil when people do the kinds of things listed below. It's not them, it's my reaction. Things always work out better when I dissipate my anger by trying to put myself in the other person's shoes.

But sometimes I can't control myself and I decide to boil my blood (simmering is better - doesn't burn off all the vitamins, Ref: Cannibal Delights in 15 Minutes). I do, say and think so much stupid shit myself I'm not in a position to judge, but sometimes I do. We all do to some extent.

Some people say they let out their anger on the drums. I don't. For me, drums make me feel happy or insecure, but I'm almost never angry when I'm playing. A few times I've been a bit cranky when playing when someone does a particularly idiotic screwup (like bad timing from people who believe metronomes are evil) but nothing major. It's a big turnaround for me because, being ADHD, I had an insane temper as a child. For almost a decade every year I'd make a new years resolution not to lose my temper. Studying psychology, philosophy, Buddhist writings and science (dispassionate rationality) helped a lot. Pot helped too by teaching me that I could respond to setbacks in a mellow way. Blah blah blah :)

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Administrator

people that pull from street and stop 5 feet into the mall lot leaving your ass in the slow lane.

Ditto the store shopper with their cart on one side and them on the other

A heat source of about 212 degrees
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

When LarryAce calls me "Phil". I swear, if I ever run into that guy...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

People talking trash on the internet drives me crazy. Especially when they are misspelling half the words and have about 25 errors in a sentence. I also dislike it when someone gives you "friendly advice" on everything wrong in your life. I don't really show my anger much though, and so people don't see me get mad.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
When LarryAce calls me "Phil". I swear, if I ever run into that guy...
Oh lighten up Phil...(taken from the movie "Stripes"....Lighten up Francis)

Every time you call me Joseph, or Skylar, or whoever, it always cracks me up.

Gomez Addams
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 AM

People who cherry-pick which Constitutional rights we need and don't need, based on their own little personal agendas.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

The price of new drums and cymbals.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheRain View Post
People who cherry-pick which Constitutional rights we need and don't need, based on their own little personal agendas.
That's a good one.

I'll add onto my own list: people who vote based on their own idea of morality instead of equality, fairness, or personal freedoms. I might not think something is the "right" thing to do, but I would never vote away someone else's right to do something as long as they weren't hurting others in the process.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
The price of new drums and cymbals.
In Australia.

On your shores, I call 'em cheap.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

I try not to let anything really get to me (it's funny how as I get older there's just less and less drama I want to deal with) but what the heck is this 'hashtag' business? That whole tweeting thing. Totally stupid. It's like communicating with only baseball signals.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have a pretty long fuse so not much gets me to that stage too often. The things that do though are the kinds of actions that land people in jail with a life sentence.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That's a good one.

I'll add onto my own list: people who vote based on their own idea of morality instead of equality, fairness, or personal freedoms. I might not think something is the "right" thing to do, but I would never vote away someone else's right to do something as long as they weren't hurting others in the process.
I would agree with you, but the only exception is that I'm pro-life. Don't question it. I have always been like that. Babies make me happy, they're a sort of beacon of hope for me in a 'bottom of the barrel' world... They are the future, the ones that would have the power to change the world into a better place. It makes me sick that women decide to play god with lives before they have even started. I have always believed in equal rights between men and women. It wouldn't be very equal to find out that one day my child was destroyed simply because a woman didn't want it and I don't have a say. If I had the choice, I, myself, would bring it into me so that I could birth the child myself. That would be equal rights. Not some women keeping us out of everything.
Disclaimer: I'm not talking about women in general, I'm talking about those who take away the rights of men to want to keep their own kin.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would agree with you, but the only exception is that I'm pro-life. Don't question it. I have always been like that. Babies make me happy, they're a sort of beacon of hope for me in a 'bottom of the barrel' world... They are the future, the ones that would have the power to change the world into a better place. It makes me sick that women decide to play god with lives before they have even started. I have always believed in equal rights between men and women. It wouldn't be very equal to find out that one day my child was destroyed simply because a woman didn't want it and I don't have a say. If I had the choice, I, myself, would bring it into me so that I could birth the child myself. That would be equal rights. Not some women keeping us out of everything.
Disclaimer: I'm not talking about women in general, I'm talking about those who take away the rights of men to want to keep their own kin.
Would you prefer that they do it in some back alley clinic using a coat hanger? Because either way they're gonna do it. I'm not saying that it's right, but it is socially responsible to allow women to kill their unborn children in a safe and sanitary environment.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Would you prefer that they do it in some back alley clinic using a coat hanger? Because either way they're gonna do it. I'm not saying that it's right, but it is socially responsible to allow women to kill their unborn children in a safe and sanitary environment.
Absolutely.

I'm generally pro-choice (although I'm deeply conflicted on the issue) but an outright ban is not the answer. If anyone's interested, there's a debate going on in South America right now. Chile has an outright ban on abortion but there's a case right now where an 11-year-old girl has been systematically abused by her stepfather and is now 12 weeks pregnant. Due to the outright ban, there is no legal scope for her to have an abortion - which to me is absolutely abhorrent. Here you have an 11-year-old girl who is not educated in matters sexual with profound physical changes already occurring and a pregnancy. She does not understand what it means to have a child (partly due to education) and her own childhood has been cut short by no fault of her own but the malicious acts of a sexual predator.

Chile already has one of the highest rates of abortion in South America (there are means - doctors can prescribe a medication for an illness that has the side-effect of terminating pregnancy) and those chemical abortions are relatively safe - compared to operations that take place after a certain time but would be far safer with monitoring and procedural (legal) changes.

By all means, have heavy, heavy restrictions on abortion. It is not something that should ever be done lightly but there are instances that I believe most people would agree, are acceptable. In instances where the mother has been raped and where the pregnancy would seriously endanger the life of the mother, the child, or both.

And Draco - why the Hell shouldn't I question it? Are you suddenly going to fly off the handle if someone disagrees? You're on a discussion forum where people discuss. That means we have carte blanche to question.

Last edited by BacteriumFendYoke; 07-28-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post

Phew, that feels better!
I'm looking into a glass, darkly.

I managed to avoid the split infinitive. I hope you're proud.

People grind me down. I dislike a lot of people. Especially people in cars and people in supermarkets.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you're going to vote to force un-wanted children into the world because you feel it's moral, then I hope you have a ton of adopted children you take care of, because the adoption and foster system is already ridiculously over-burdened. A fetus isn't a baby, and there are already far too many children who grow up to be burdens on society because they were not wanted or couldn't be taken care of by the parents. Voting your sense of morality on the nation could result in crack-whores having no choice but to keep babies they don't want and either give them up to a system that fosters abuse and creates terrible situations, or let them grow up in the same environment.

In other words: you are voting for the suffering of children who will likely never have strong parental support or guidance and likely repeat the cycle over again. Think beyond the short sighted "but you're killing a baby" crap. People are made up of our experience and connections to the world, not the cells that divide. Bringing un-wanted children into the world helps NOTHING, especially not the potential child.

And on your last point: It's not the "right of men" to have every child they father taken to term. It's not any mans right to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body. Period. It's sickening to think otherwise.

I guess we'd better stop now, though, as this is getting a bit political. Just think about the whole picture, and don't think about it as a cute baby or something that is likely to work out well. It almost never does. That's reality.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Better listen to him, he's pre-med.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LARx7M9s15w
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM

I don't want to get into any great debate, and I understand that this is an extremely emotive subject so this is just my personal experience and thoughts, okay?
I was born in 1963 and was adopted very soon after by great people who are, my Mum and Dad.
In my teens I had a long talk with my Mum; I think she was trying to deal with the worry that I might want to find my natural mother. She told me about my natural mother, that she was a girl of 15 who was thrown out by her family for 'the shame'.
In 1963 there was very little support of any kind for teenage mothers so I suppose she just did what she thought was best, and put me up for adoption.

Now here's the thing; if abortion had been available freely in 1963, would she have had me?

I have had a great life, my Mum and (late) Dad were/are awesome parents...am I a minority?

Just thoughts from me. Peace. J
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Sumo View Post
Now here's the thing; if abortion had been available freely in 1963, would she have had me?
Would that have mattered? Babies are naturally "aborted" all the time. The body will sometimes just know that it's not in a position to carry a baby and terminate it's own pregnancy. This is no more of a tragedy than when someone uses their head to not put another child in the child-care system. Your case was good, but far more children will never be adopted. I could just as easily produce plenty of stories of abuse and neglect. This is especially common when a young mother gives up on their child or has the child removed for it's safety in a few years. It's much less common to be adopted as a young child than as a baby.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I hope you have a ton of adopted children you take care of
I've always wanted a girl. Never really wanted a boy, but not against it obviously. Also, I actually told my girlfriend that after a girl, I would like to adopt. If I had the power to give homes to these children or the money to care for them myself, I would. I love children, and I love babies. They are miraculous wonder to me. Stinky, but cute, haha.

Anyways, I am aware of the arguments for pro-choice. I was writing a paper against abortion, and threw away the entire thing after finding out that everything is against me. It just comes down to belief, and so I say, leave it at that. I'm just politically inept, so I won't argue.

Abortion, really makes my blood boil.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

It's got nothing to do with belief though. You've been out-argued. If you can provide me with a better argument than 'Please God think of the children!!!' then I'll continue with the conversation.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've always wanted a girl. Never really wanted a boy, but not against it obviously. Also, I actually told my girlfriend that after a girl, I would like to adopt. If I had the power to give homes to these children or the money to care for them myself, I would. I love children, and I love babies. They are miraculous wonder to me. Stinky, but cute, haha.

Anyways, I am aware of the arguments for pro-choice. I was writing a paper against abortion, and threw away the entire thing after finding out that everything is against me. It just comes down to belief, and so I say, leave it at that. I'm just politically inept, so I won't argue.

Abortion, really makes my blood boil.
That's fine, you're entitled to an opinion, but why force your opinion on others by vote? If you don't like abortion, don't have one. The fact that you are so against it probably leads me to believe that you would care for your children to the best of your ability. This is simply not the case for a whole lot of people. Do some research on the number of abortions done in this country, let alone the rest of the world.(hint: it's measured in millions annually) If you can honestly tell me that all those unwanted children would be better off being forced onto un-willing parents or the foster system, maybe you can have a leg to stand on.

Children should be brought into the world because they have loving and willing parents. Not because someone thinks that abortion is "killing a child" and checks a box on a voter form to force that opinion on everyone else. Nobody should ever be able to vote away someone's rights, ever. The right to your own body and it's functions is about as basic as it gets.