DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Communication Issues between young and elder, alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. The top looks as though a robot has spoken, while the bottom makes full clear that the individual is particularly happy. It's not as if he overexcessively misspelled anything. Therefore we should know that he is not ignorant. The smiley is just a preferance, I believe. I know those who like to use it, and those who don't. My little brother doesn't, but only because he doesn't like to waste his energy to type one in. I have only ever percieved one as ignorant if they can't spell their own primary language. To say one is still percieved as ignorant simply because he wanted to put a smiley after a well constructed sentence is only arrogant in itself.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

What you're not noticing is the drool...

You don't half take things literally, Draco.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
What you're not noticing is the drool...

You don't half take things literally, Draco.
I noticed the drool, that's why I was offended... Anyways, it looks like you have found my Internet persona nickname. Dracovyrn was actually athe name of a small dragon in the n64 game, Aidyn Chronicles. Other than wolves in reality, my favorite mystical creatures were dragons, wyverns, and dracos. A dracovyrn was a baby wyvern, hence, Dracovyrn.
After using it as my persona on PS3, many, it would seem, would mispronunciate my name. Instead, they would call me by my widely accepted nick name, "Draco."

The more you know, right?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

I still think you're taking the cartoon too literally.

The 'Readers Perception' segment mirrors my own thoughts of the subject.

Are you any good with facial expressions? The second figure on the cartoon wasn't 'excessively happy' by my reading.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I still think you're taking the cartoon too literally.

The 'Readers Perception' segment mirrors my own thoughts of the subject.

Are you any good with facial expressions? The second figure on the cartoon wasn't 'excessively happy' by my reading.
Actually, I meant the text looked excessively happy. The cartoon, on the other hand, was that of someone... special. Which is not how I picture it at all.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM

Being from the stone age,60's not cave man,and working at a job that required no internet skills for 40 plus years,makes communicating a bit of a challenge in text.I have got myself in trouble on here a few times. I do love drums and drumming, so I'm staying.Learning to communicate in text is just a bonus.So its not the age thing,it is however a learning thing.What is a emoticon? Some day I will learn to type with a second finger. :]
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
Actually, I meant the text looked excessively happy. The cartoon, on the other hand, was that of someone... special. Which is not how I picture it at all.
we are all special dude..
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

I'm 37 and some of the ways that the young kids nowadays manipulate the English language drives me nuts. Deliberately shortening words and using text message abbreviations, I want to grab them by the head and force feed them a dictionary. When people say "BTW" my blood boils. There are 5 syllables spoken when you say "BTW", but only 3 if you say "by the way". Do they realize how stupid they are for trying to be cute and shorten something, only to really make it longer?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I'm 37 and some of the ways that the young kids nowadays manipulate the English language drives me nuts. Deliberately shortening words and using text message abbreviations, I want to grab them by the head and force feed them a dictionary. When people say "BTW" my blood boils. There are 5 syllables spoken when you say "BTW", but only 3 if you say "by the way". Do they realize how stupid they are for trying to be cute and shorten something, only to really make it longer?

Oh Mr Insane....middle age is approaching you....how do you feel when people turn in front of you without indicating?...or stand chatting and blocking the supermarket aisle?..do you mentally 'cock and lock the Glock'??....it gets worse bro..I'm 50 and only one a*****e from losing it totally...go drum my friend, go drum...it calms the savage beast...
Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Sumo View Post
Oh Mr Insane....middle age is approaching you....how do you feel when people turn in front of you without indicating?
In Arkansas turn signals seem to be optional. I'm used to it, but speeding up to get in front of me and then turning immediately should be grounds for death.

Quote:
...or stand chatting and blocking the supermarket aisle?
I have been known to hit those people with my cart.

Quote:
..do you mentally 'cock and lock the Glock'??
Haha, no, I own a Steyr M9, so I cock that. It can't be locked as it has no manual safety. Ironically, my pistol was designed by Wilhelm Bubits who used to work for Glock.

Quote:
....it gets worse bro..I'm 50 and only one a*****e from losing it totally...go drum my friend, go drum...it calms the savage beast...
As does going to the gun range, and going hiking. Nothing seems to calm the nerves better than being in the woods.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Haha, no, I own a Steyr M9, so I cock that. It can't be locked as it has no manual safety. Ironically, my pistol was designed by Wilhelm Bubits who used to work for Glock.

Thankfully I do not own a firearm...I don't think I have the necessary self control bro...
I do make the noise of a slide being locked back sometimes tho; my wife now takes that as a cue to evacuate me from the environment..
she also intervenes when I stand wistfully looking at knife displays, hammers, chain saws etc....
(I was going to end with a 'txt' style message...but given your possession of your Steyr...possibly not..)

So toodle pip from England my friend.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
In Arkansas turn signals seem to be optional. I'm used to it, but speeding up to get in front of me and then turning immediately should be grounds for death.

I have been known to hit those people with my cart.

As does going to the gun range, and going hiking. Nothing seems to calm the nerves better than being in the woods.
When I have a headache I go practice some triplet rudiment grids. Also, We were more speaking about the use of emoticons. I don't promote bad spelling, grammar, or unnecessary shortening of words, unless in texting situations with my girlfriend where space is limited and "Ain't no one got time fo dat."

BTW... do you know what really makes my blood boil? Those who can't take a joke.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

When I first got onto the internet in my early 40"s. I read a piece of advice online that said something to the effect "Don't post anything online you wouldn't want to be read back aloud in a court of law." I try to always keep that in mind when posting so as to keep it lucid, concise and to the point. It's a challenge for me at times to do this and to not come across with any hint of smugness, sarcasm or unintended meaning.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And neither does the Glock have a manual safety, that locks the slide ..... and does all that stuff that's needed on say, a Colt 1911. The Glock functions very similar to the Steyr.