Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Stick or the 5Bs
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My favorite sticks

Vic Firth ?uestlove sticks
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

I've really been digging the Pro-Mark 5BGs. Apparently I'm the only person in Edmonton that uses them, because the last time I was at Long and MacQuade, the salesman told me that he has to special order them just for me. Hahaha.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Hey Art,
Thanks for the support, I just wanted to reach out about trying the 5A's. A very commonly made misconception is that the 5A is the same cut throughout brands. It is actually very different for all brands. The ProMark 5A'S are a different spec then the Vic's. They are both 16" long, but the Vic is a .565" and the ProMark is thinner at a .550" in diameter. I think the TX818W would be a closer fit both in diameter and Tip type. http://promark.com/pmProductDetail.P...7&productid=80
Please let me know if you have any questions you can reach me at daddariopercussion@dddario.com. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by art5 View Post
I used promark 7A for 1st 4 years but realised i needed bigger sticks for more volume (bigger venues). Just this year I started using Vic's 5A (always wood tip for me), much more versatile & comfy in my hands. I dont hit the s**t out of my drums but I do constant rimshots & a pair can last me around 20-25 hours of playing, 30 sometimes.

Funny I tried Vic extreme 5A & they broke much much quicker than the regular 5A.

I will try out Vater's & ProMark's 5A to compare. Very curious about Los Cabos sticks but cannot find them here in Oz!!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 AM

Vater Fatback 3a. They are the opposite to the VF 5a and that stick is awful. The VF 5a just do not want to play in my hands. And the VF quality is pretty bad. But Vater! Them Vater sticks will not break!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Vic Firth 'Harvey Mason' Chameleon excellent 7a-ish sized stick in Hickory, with the weight of a 5a

Last edited by G-2; 12-22-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM

I can and do play almost any kind and type of sticks, but I keep coming back to the Vic Firth Buddy Rich/Vater West Side sticks. The feel nice and solid on the hand, give a great full sound on the drums and cymbals and are extremely durable. A few other favorites are the Vic Firth Tommy Igoe Stick, Promark 5A oak, and the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Stick.
Paiste/Zildjian Cymbals
Old 09-27-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I like the Zildjian Hickory Series Black 5B wood tips. I use Vic firth 7A for some progressive tunes. I found the Zildjians by grabbing a couple pair out of a reduced bin. Originally because since I have a black set it would look good and they were cheap. Now I really love them.
Ok just picked up a new batch of these sticks and the paint on them is coming off on my cymbals!!!!! NOT happy.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Default My favorite sticks

I came across this site by mere coincidence when searching for my old firend's brand name of "BUNKEN".

In August, 2009, AEOLIAN had posted about his pleasure with a set of BUNKEN sticks.

I doubted anyone kew the history of those sticks or how they got their name. So I thought for historical purposes I would chime in.

I started a business in a very large old shoe factory in 1972 in Braintree, MA. The building was originally the C.B. Slater Shoe Company, and for historians was the actual site of the Sacco & Venzetti robbery in the early 20th century.

In the front of that building in a small space was a person making drumsticks. His name was Ken Drinan.

He was a very nice person with a good sense of humor, and he was clever as well. He was a musician by night, and he made drumsticks by day.

Surprisingly he was NOT a drummer! I believe he played a bass guitar.

He had a single Teledyne-Pines lathe and some other equipment.

His daughter, Nancy, and son, Kevin, helped him with the process.

His wife's name was Bunny. Getting the picture here?

So he called the drumsticks, what else, but BUNKEN!

I moved from that building in 1973, and I do not recall seeing him after that. He died sometime in the late 1970's.

This is my history lesson for the day. I could not resist after seeing the tradename mentioned.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Promark 747n Oak.... Took me ages to find my perfect stick. Ultra durable and perfect weight
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 AM

I am using promark 2B Hickory. They are long and very fat and heavy-feeling. Solid. I like them a lot. I was thinking that when I start gigging they will be good for bludgeoning drunks.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

I use- Ahead Lars Ulrich model. They are great sticks, only ever broken a stick once in over a year of use on that pair. Work really well for me because I hit really hard and end up breaking wood sticks like no tomorrow. lol
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM

i dont have a favourite, i use different sizes and wood for different venues (size) or song. maple for quieter songs or hot rods and oak or hickory drumsticks for bigger venues and louder songs.

:-)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 PM

one christmas i was asked to take out the leftover turkey and chicken when i thought... hey chicken drumstick... so i went down to my drumkit thinking.... this could make history.. i used chicken drumsticks as drumsticks... i havnt gone back since. i play with chicken drumsticks every time i play now whether thats live or at practise. and also, when the gigs over they make for a tasty snack! you should try it sometime. Just the way i roll.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Vater Los Angeles 5A's
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Pro-mark white oak 5B, 747B Super Rock
Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 AM

Zildjian 5A pre-dipped sticks. My VF 7AN pros lasted my about four years, but masking tape, shrink-wrap, and clear-tape won't save it from becoming shrapnel in my hands.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Vic Firth American Classic 7A
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 PM

I just 'discovered' Zildjian 5A heavy LAMINATED sticks. They are the BOMB! I usually don't like heavy sticks, got rid of my VF 5B's after only a couple of days, but these just feel GOOD. nice balance, good feel. The only downside I can see for some drummers is that they are very smooth from the lamination process, so grip tape or gorilla snot would probably be more necessary on these than on some others. I use grip tape anyway, so it wasn't a problem for me. After a couple of weeks practicing with them, (I only get a few hours a week to practice, but it's better than nothing!) hardly any marks from rim shots or hi hats. I really recommend them. A little pricier than most, but they could be your cup of tea.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Just got my first pair of Promark Select Balance - RBH565TW American Hickory's the other day. I've never liked a pair of sticks as much as these!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Been using two different sticks lately.

VF AS7a (American sound, 7a) - These sound really good to my ear, short taper for end-weight, and ball tip that sounds killer on my old cymbals.

And, VF Erskine, but not the "ride" stick, which I wasn't the hugest fan of, mostly for the feel of using it... Instead I like his "big band" stick. Works great for rock, too.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Administrator

This thread has been going since 2005, and since we all seem to change things like this often, me included, I have gone to Vater, Nude, Fusion, nylon tipped sticks. They are just the perfect fit for my hands.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
This thread has been going since 2005, and since we all seem to change things like this often, me included, I have gone to Vater, Nude, Fusion, nylon tipped sticks. They are just the perfect fit for my hands.
Until the next perfect fit comes along, that is!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 PM

Vic Firth Higlanders

Best snare marching sticks and perfect balance
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM

I started off using Vic Firth American Classic 7A's but I found my hands cramping up.
A letter in Rhythm Magazine gave me the solution as someone else had the same problem until they switched to Vater Chad Smith sticks. Perfect size & weight for me.
I've tried other 5A & 5B, but although the size is similar there is just something I prefer about the Chad Smiths.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

For the last month or two it has been Pro-mark 2S. I'm letting the stick do the work.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM

Vic Firth Highlanders

Thee best snare sticks that you can find. But it's a bummer that Vic Firth discontinued it. But there are the Jim Kilpatrick Kp2's. They're awesome for snare
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM

My favorite sticks currently are Vic Firth American Classic 55A hickory drum sticks. They are great all-around sticks.

Last edited by Pyromaniac777; 06-12-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcalo View Post
I came across this site by mere coincidence when searching for my old firend's brand name of "BUNKEN".

In August, 2009, AEOLIAN had posted about his pleasure with a set of BUNKEN sticks.

I doubted anyone kew the history of those sticks or how they got their name. So I thought for historical purposes I would chime in.

I started a business in a very large old shoe factory in 1972 in Braintree, MA. The building was originally the C.B. Slater Shoe Company, and for historians was the actual site of the Sacco & Venzetti robbery in the early 20th century.

In the front of that building in a small space was a person making drumsticks. His name was Ken Drinan.

He was a very nice person with a good sense of humor, and he was clever as well. He was a musician by night, and he made drumsticks by day.

Surprisingly he was NOT a drummer! I believe he played a bass guitar.

He had a single Teledyne-Pines lathe and some other equipment.

His daughter, Nancy, and son, Kevin, helped him with the process.

His wife's name was Bunny. Getting the picture here?

So he called the drumsticks, what else, but BUNKEN!

I moved from that building in 1973, and I do not recall seeing him after that. He died sometime in the late 1970's.

This is my history lesson for the day. I could not resist after seeing the tradename mentioned.
Very cool story - thanks for sharing!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Well I actually use the Mangini's Signature sticks, at the beggining they are obviously very heavy, but after 9 months (I think) I actually play Aborted, Opeth and all that Death Metal songs with blast beats and actually work pretty well. The best of these are that are very powerful with a small stroke on the cymbals.

Does anyone have tried these?

https://soundcloud.com/infectivesymphony/
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 PM

I just use my ProMark TX747N American Hickory sticks, and they are AMAZING. I haven't broken a pair yet, even though I play metal and I've been using the same pair for almost a month. I think they're around 5B size. They feel great and just are awesome sticks. I really recommend them - I bought 12 pairs from GearTree on Amazon for only 90 bucks... (not trying to advertise, it's just a good deal). You should try them out!
Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 PM

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/joey_heredia.php
Heavy yet perfectly balanced and best of all-MAPLE!
What's funny yet is that I totally relate to the way He is constantly using smaller diameter cymbals,almost like playing fills on them-just like my images in my head when I play. Its just too perfect.
If He breaks his right foot, I've met my brother from another Mother......
Old 05-20-2014, 08:54 AM

I just discover Vic Grip; it was such a surprise to me. I like the feeling of holding sticks a way better than before (I don't take my sticks strong enough, and often they're flying)

I use 5A models and 5B (better for traditionnal grip, I think)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Wanna know a secret? Don't tell no one this at all, EVER... The looser you hold your sticks, the less they slide around!!! How cool is that? When you tighten up on the stick it's usually from one point on your hand and that's the thumb and forefinger.

If you loosen your grip and distribute it acoss all your fingers, especially the back of your hand (the pinky and ring fingers) then you will be putting more skin on the stick and as a result, the stick slides out of your hand less.

The reason your sticks are sliding is because of the pinch at the top; it's like squeezing a tube of toothpaste in reverse and as the stick undulates on its track, it "walks" a little. As we get better in our technique we learn to make small adjustments to pull it back in so much that they become completely involuntary.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM

I'm using Vic Firth 3A's w/ wood tips and I couldn't be happier!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Since I play a Roland E-Kit, I need something light.

The Zildjian 5A MAPLE GREEN DIP DRUMSTICKS are what work for me.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans_69 View Post
Promark 747n Oak.... Took me ages to find my perfect stick. Ultra durable and perfect weight
Likewise.. It took me several months to finally figure out these are the best choice for my playing. I don't hit easy by any stretch, but I definitely don't feel I wail away either. I would say I'm somewhere in the middle. And these sticks seem to fit in perfectly and the nylon tip wont chip away.