DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Drum Rack or Stands?

What is more efficient??
Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drum Rack or Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus1989 View Post
What is more efficient??
...depends.

Barry
Old 07-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Here we go......

It all depends on the size of the kit, how the drummer sets-up, whether they move it around alot, etc....

If you use a search Im pretty sure there are already threads on the subject.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Here we go......

It all depends on the size of the kit, how the drummer sets-up, whether they move it around alot, etc....

If you use a search Im pretty sure there are already threads on the subject.
Agreed. If you have a small 4 piece kit, stands may be alittle more efficient vs. the time it takes to set up the rack, although I have a drummer on my site who swears by his rack because for him it's faster to setup and he has more efficient positioning.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 PM

I've had both with a 6 piece kit. I prefer stands. They are not as bulky and (personally) moveable/adjustable as I would have liked. It could have just been my rack though.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Definitely do a search on this one. I use both. When I use my full set (6 piece), I use the rack. When I go 4 piece I use stands. Everything is interchangeable.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 PM

Well the thing is, i am looking to start a project consisting of:

Drums

24" Bass Drum
24" Bass Drum
10" Tom
12" Tom
14" Tom
14" Floor Tom
16" Floor Tom
18" Floor Tom
14" Snare
10" Snare
6"+8" Timbales

Cymbals:

8" Splash
10" Splash
12" Splash
14" Crash
16" Crash
18" Crash
20" Crash
22" Ride
16" China
18" China
14" Hats
14" X-Hats
18" Crash/Ride

(its big!)

Stands or Racks?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:52 PM

If you tour a lot with roadies and all then a rack is faster and easier to set up. If this is for "general" use, I´d reccomend stands.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

anyways, back on topic, if your are going to have a kit that large, i think a rack would be better and cheaper, to buy all the stands for the toms and cymbals it's going to cost you ALOT of money

Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

I have 2 kits. One 11 piece and one 5 piece.

I use a rack for the monster and stands for the small kit.

Would never consider stands for the monster or a rack for the small kit.

Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Drum Rack or Stands?

My weird setup requires me to use stands.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 AM
Gold Member

Using a rack on large kits isnt always the best answer.

Yes, its saves you having a hundred stand-bottoms all over the ground, but packing up a rack with all that gear on it will be EXTREMELY heavy, particularly if you are the only one poacking your gear. If you have to break everything down to pack it, then youre not saving yourself anymore time than having stands.

I had a rack on my kit for nearly 10 years, then when I upgraded to my Sonor I went with stands. The stands are far more 'efficient' than the rack ever was.

My $0.02
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

These next couple weeks, one of our guitar players is away so we'll be doing some acoustic/unplugged sets locally...

I'm breaking my kit down to a snare, bass, and hi-hat...maybe a splash too. Will have a couple blocks, bells, chimes, shakers and stuff off to the side...but for purpose...I won't have the rack or stands...maybe the post from the bass drum to mount a splash.

So much of the "do I or don't I use a rack" depends on kit size and how well you can efficiently setup, breakdown, and move it.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:40 AM

Agree whit everbody

I play a 5 pieces kit with:
-2 crashes
-1 splash
-1 ride
-1 china

i'll never go for the rack with this quit, but for your huge dream kit you MUST go for the rack :P

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 07-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

With a 12 piece kit and 13 cymbals...rack it baby!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
With a 12 piece kit and 13 cymbals...rack it baby!
Revisiting the rack idea (for the 5th time)...

I only have 5 drums (on my road kit), but I always end up with 10+ cymbals (somehow, 3/4 crashes, 2 chinas, ride, hi-hat, and at least 2/3 splashes + plus effects bell/trash/etc...). My band doesn't mind helping me move the kit, but they have no idea how to set it up. I feel with the rack, it takes the guess work out of most of it.

Thoughts? It is a rather expensive venture to say "oops" if it doesn't work out.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:57 PM
oddtime74

Do what ever the hell you want and if any douche bag gives you the heat about having a rack tell them to gtfo. So sick of the endless "it's not cool to do this or use this and if you're not on the bandwagon you're an outsider" crap!

I personally have a rack for my 7 pc PDP X7 maple kit but to be honest I'm only using it as a 5 pc currently (10, 12, 16 TOMS, 22BD and 14SD) and have my two racks on the chrome PDP rack. For one I needed a rack to save space as my room is only 8ft wide by 24ft long. Second I absolutely love the look of this all chrome PDP rack with the side extension. The white X7, with all those chrome lugs and my 3 chrome L-Rods that hold my toms is an awesome sight to behold when running 3 up! Hell I'll run 1 up and 1 or 2 down with a rack and I DGAF what anyone thinks or says.

Using the rack allows me to place my rack toms (1, 2 or all 3) where EVER I want to. Using the BD mount or cymbal stands tends to limit your range of placement. I fought myself over trying stands and possibly trading this rack in to use toward some Tama Roadpro boom stands but ended up sticking with it and I'm glad I did. I actually trimmed the two main poles that hold my cymbals to give it a lower sleeker look and it's awesome. I have my ride to the right of me mounted on one pole, the 16" crash on the left pole and then my 18" crash on a mini boom cymbal holder on my side extension.

Seriously use what ever you dig and don't worry about it. Try a set of very cheap stands first to see if you like it, if not I say go with the PDP rack instead as it looks incredible and the rack clamps hold forever with no slip.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I love the 6 year old threads!!!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
oddtime74

lol Grunter! I knew it was but I replied to the fella above and to the thread in general. ;)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddtime74 View Post
lol Grunter! I knew it was but I replied to the fella above and to the thread in general. ;)
And I thank you for it.

No need to create a new thread, cluttered by 15 people who will then say,"Search is your friend, blah, blah..." I searched. I'm still looking for reasons to get a rack.

I found one, thanks to you:

On my home kit, I have 4 hi-toms, and they straddle my snare, so I have no problem doing certain types of tom work with the left hand having wide open access to the left toms.

With my road kit, I only have 2 hi-toms, and they are on the bass drum mount. I have a spare dual stand that could move them off, but I want an in-between solution, and I think I just found it.

I already had multiple other reasons:
Smaller footprint
Less moving (with two person lift)
Easier for non-drummers to actually help (and not just put stands where they think they go)
Everything is already setup (at height, placement, etc...)

So the ability to move the hi-toms exactly where I want them might be the reason I do this.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

I'd like to try a rack setup someday. Setting up stands can be tedious playing gigs everyday without a roadie. ;)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:32 AM
oddtime74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
And I thank you for it.

No need to create a new thread, cluttered by 15 people who will then say,"Search is your friend, blah, blah..." I searched. I'm still looking for reasons to get a rack.

I found one, thanks to you:

On my home kit, I have 4 hi-toms, and they straddle my snare, so I have no problem doing certain types of tom work with the left hand having wide open access to the left toms.

With my road kit, I only have 2 hi-toms, and they are on the bass drum mount. I have a spare dual stand that could move them off, but I want an in-between solution, and I think I just found it.

I already had multiple other reasons:
Smaller footprint
Less moving (with two person lift)
Easier for non-drummers to actually help (and not just put stands where they think they go)
Everything is already setup (at height, placement, etc...)

So the ability to move the hi-toms exactly where I want them might be the reason I do this.

Thanks!
That's great I'm glad I could lead you in the right direction and yes you made very solid points as to why a rack would be good to have! I'm not sure of how you setup and tear down when on gigs, like drum cases etc but honestly and if you don't have cases, even with all three toms on the main rack I can grab hold of both main poles of the rack lift it and move it myself and that's with the side rack off of course. So I know for a fact it would only take a split second for two to pick it up and move it off stage or where ever you may be. And the side extension is very light on it's own especially when you take the cymbals off. You just have to be careful not to hit the legs of the rack while moving it cause you can shift the position of them easily maybe even with the memory locks on each leg. Tell them to be careful or they'll have a size 13 boot in their ass before they know it lol. ;)

Seriously though, once you set your tom holders where you want them on the main rack as well as cymbal arms and put the memory locks on none of it will move... EVER if it's tight enough. You can also set the angle of the side rack, put a memory lock on the main pole and it as well will also help with quick setup of your side extension if you choose to get that version. There are two a main and then one with the side extension. Yes the one with the side extension will bite your wallet but if you want and try to always buy quality, think about how much all those top of the line cymbal stands and mounts would cost and those start to add up quick as well. Just for 4 Tama Roadpro Booms comes to $300 so keep that in mind when you compare.

Also yes I commend you for actually taking the time to search and to put your question into a currently made thread. I'm not sure why an admin would respond like that tbh but it tis what it tis.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Here's what a rack did for me. Saved floor space for sure!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=104521
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM

I say it depends on how many cymbals and toms you are using and how often you play out or move your kit. I have 9 cymbals and 3 rack toms so I find the my pearl rack to save tons of time in setup, but takes up a lot of space when traveling with it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM

I know this post has been around for a while. Just wanted to see what you guys think about my setup.

I have a 6-piece Premier XPK, with 7 cymbals (3 crashes, splash, ride, China, hats). All toms are rack mounted. I need to tear down and set up about 4x per week for rehearsals and gigs (playing/rehearsing twice per week, plus setting up again when I get back home).

Just wondering if a rack system would save me time on the setups? The drums themselves are not bad, since they all have memory locks. But I would like to shift my 2 rack toms to the left to make more room for my ride cymbal. Getting the cymbals in the right position takes some time. The other option is using permanent marker on my cymbal stands to mark the heights, boom angles, positions, etc.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Hey guys, wanted to bump this to hopefully have my question answered, and also to update. I now have a 5-pc DW that I will be using with my band instead of the XPK.

The DW kick has no tom mounts, so right now I'm using a double tom stand on the left of the kick. I plan to get memory locks for all 3 floor tom legs as well.

I was thinking of adding another double-tom stand for the right side. Put one tom on each stand, above the kick, and then use the DW Dogbone to put a cymbal boom on each side on the unused tom holders. This would reduce the total number of stands I need by 1 (two multi-stands vs. one tom stand and 2 cymbal stands). Cost would be about $240.

But I'm still thinking about a rack. As I said, I have to tear down and set up multiple times per week, 4-6 times, when you count setting up again at home for personal practice. I think that if I had my two rack toms and all my cymbals set up on the rack with memory locks on everything, it would be much quicker to set up. The only thing I would have to "adjust" each time is the position of the kick, FT, snare stand, and hi-hat. A 2-sided PDP rack to do this goes for about $420 (using some of my existing cymbal stand parts).

I wanted to get some opinions on this before I spend the money. Would the rack system really save me time?
Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Your initial setting up of a rack can be extremely frustrating. Instead of just moving stands to get placements right, you have to get all the placements right on the rack itself. This can take hours, or even days. It can be frustrating at first.

That being said, a rack can and will save you both time and space. I had a Pearl rack with 4 toms and 7 cymbals attached to it. Each rack clamp was labeled with a number, as was its coinciding hardware piece. Everything had memory locks and could be set up in about 10 minutes by every member of my band. If it was set up to the side, two people could lift and move it easily into position. And why not, I help move guitar cabinets, they can help move the rack.

For me it just made sense. Less stuff to carry and set up, less floor space required, less things to get just right.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Your initial setting up of a rack can be extremely frustrating. Instead of just moving stands to get placements right, you have to get all the placements right on the rack itself. This can take hours, or even days. It can be frustrating at first.

Everything had memory locks and could be set up in about 10 minutes by every member of my band. If it was set up to the side, two people could lift and move it easily into position.
Very true. Memory locks will help speed it up, assuming you play on a level surface every time.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post

That being said, a rack can and will save you both time and space. I had a Pearl rack with 4 toms and 7 cymbals attached to it. Each rack clamp was labeled with a number, as was its coinciding hardware piece. Everything had memory locks and could be set up in about 10 minutes by every member of my band. If it was set up to the side, two people could lift and move it easily into position. And why not, I help move guitar cabinets, they can help move the rack.

For me it just made sense. Less stuff to carry and set up, less floor space required, less things to get just right.
Thanks for the feedback. I believe I will get a rack, as it does seem considerably easier to set up and tear down.