Show off your "Classic" Drum Sets! (Pre 2000)

johnquach

Feel free to contribute!

Here is my 1990's Pearl Export refurbished with a custom wrap and almost all new hardware.

47oa.jpg

fgm1.jpg

y3j2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my Gretsch round badge kit.

It's not a collector's kit, it's a player's kit. It was originally wrapped with White Marine Pearl. It has thick-shelled six-ply shells. I bought it used in 1977. Being young and stupid, I took off the wrap and painted the shells flat black. I also removed the consolette rail and installed a Ludwig mount. Of course, I drilled new holes and used wood filler for the holes I didn't use any more. The configuration is 13, 16, 20. I also got ahold of a Rogers 12" tom that I removed the wrap from and painted black to match the other drums (for when I want a five-piece configuration).

This kit has served me well on many gigs for over 20 years. It still sounds great after all these years. I now use it for practice and sometimes recording. I am now the proud owned of a set of Yamaha Stage Customs that I bought in 2011 that is my gigging kit. In all the time I've owned it I can only think of two or three times where someone has commented on the Ludwig mount or the Rogers tom not matching the rest of the kit. I think only drummers notice that stuff. :)

p.s. The kit came with a Rogers Holiday snare. I still have that one, but the picture shows the Stage Custom birch snare.

OK - I posted this earlier today, but here's a 2-minute video of me playing my 1978 Ludwig Classics in thermagloss natural maple with the obligatory 6 1/2" x 14" Supraphonic snare. Drums are: 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms and 16x26 bass drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4DGO...ature=youtu.be

This kit, sans the 18" floor tom and a couple of cymbals is usually what I take out on a gig. If I need to 'stay small' I also have a 1975 Slingerland kit in black (13/16/22 bass drum) with a COB 6 1/2 x 14 TDR snare drum (that I admit sounds a bit more focused than my Supra).

Here's my Gretsch round badge kit.

It's not a collector's kit, it's a player's kit. It was originally wrapped with White Marine Pearl. It has thick-shelled six-ply shells. I bought it used in 1977. Being young and stupid, I took off the wrap and painted the shells flat black. I also removed the consolette rail and installed a Ludwig mount. Of course, I drilled new holes and used wood filler for the holes I didn't use any more. The configuration is 13, 16, 20. I also got ahold of a Rogers 12" tom that I removed the wrap from and painted black to match the other drums (for when I want a five-piece configuration).

This kit has served me well on many gigs for over 20 years. It still sounds great after all these years. I now use it for practice and sometimes recording. I am now the proud owned of a set of Yamaha Stage Customs that I bought in 2011 that is my gigging kit. In all the time I've owned it I can only think of two or three times where someone has commented on the Ludwig mount or the Rogers tom not matching the rest of the kit. I think only drummers notice that stuff. :)

p.s. The kit came with a Rogers Holiday snare. I still have that one, but the picture shows the Stage Custom birch snare.

Nice, was this your first set?

And Bo it says the video does not exist.

Nice, was this your first set?

And Bo it says the video does not exist.

Yes, it was my first and only set up until two years ago. I got a great deal on it. Besides the drums it came with 16" New Beats, and 20" and 22" A Zildjians, A couple of Ludwig flat-based stands, a Ludwig hi-hat stand, and a Ludwig Speed King pedal. All for $300. Since I didn't have transportation at the time the seller delivered it from San Jose to the Navy base in Mountain View, CA for no charge.

OK - I posted this earlier today, but here's a 2-minute video of me playing my 1978 Ludwig Classics in thermagloss natural maple with the obligatory 6 1/2" x 14" Supraphonic snare. Drums are: 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms and 16x26 bass drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4DGO...ature=youtu.be

This kit, sans the 18" floor tom and a couple of cymbals is usually what I take out on a gig. If I need to 'stay small' I also have a 1975 Slingerland kit in black (13/16/22 bass drum) with a COB 6 1/2 x 14 TDR snare drum (that I admit sounds a bit more focused than my Supra).

Sorry. Here it is again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4DGOYO_LMY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUkDJzHGBQeXec9F0U_UNB5Q

Enjoy!

Feel free to contribute!

Here is my 1990's Pearl Export refurbished with a custom wrap and almost all new hardware.

47oa.jpg

fgm1.jpg

y3j2.jpg

Hey, great job on your Exports! I like the color you chose. I have a 1991 Export kit that might be a fun restoration project. Did you do the work yourself or have it done for you? Mine has always been my beater kit, never seen cases, and looks surprisingly good except the bass drum wrap is bubbling in spots. It's "Yellow Flash", looking like Bruford :) 8-10-12-13-16-22 and I love the metal export snare that came with that kit - it is excellent!

Hey, great job on your Exports! I like the color you chose. I have a 1991 Export kit that might be a fun restoration project. Did you do the work yourself or have it done for you? Mine has always been my beater kit, never seen cases, and looks surprisingly good except the bass drum wrap is bubbling in spots. It's "Yellow Flash", looking like Bruford :) 8-10-12-13-16-22 and I love the metal export snare that came with that kit - it is excellent!

Thanks, I didn't do the work though. I won it on Ebay for $330. Do you have any pictures of your export?

Man, you scored big for only $330! That's great. I have no pics of my Exports - they are hibernating in my bedroom closet while their friends Ludwig & DW are out to play. I should set them up sometime - still a fine kit. Enjoy - that's a lot of fun for $330!

i'll play...

1964 Ludwig super classic in white marine pearl,

and some "classic" snare drums.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 2,841
  • Photo Jun 10, 8 31 18 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 10, 8 31 18 PM.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 2,840
  • Photo Jun 10, 8 36 02 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 10, 8 36 02 PM.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 2,796
Nice snare collection drunmerern! Can you tell what kind of snares you got there?

// Drummerbrother

of course!

1964 Ludwig super classic, 5.5"x14"
70's acrolite, 5"x14"
1963 Ludwig 10"x14"
1968 Ludwig super sensitive 6.5"x14" (someone had painted it black at some point and I could kill them for it, one of these days i'll get around to refinishing it)
the last one is a newer custom snare that I built. definitely not a classic.

Back