DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 AM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default KickPort D-Port?

I installed a KickPort today, and I couldn't believe the immediate difference it made. My kick sounds incredible compared to how it did before.

Then I remembered reading about the D-Port. did these ever get released? Has anybody tried them out? I can't find any information on them
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Ian Ballard's Avatar
Ian Ballard Ian Ballard is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 734
Default Re: KickPort D-Port?

Dunno about the D-port but I definitely can attest to the KickPort's killer sound. It makes perfect sense though. A subwoofer port focuses the right frequencies to "hit" and this does the same. They are making smaller versions for tom and snare heads too! That might create some create some nice, focused sounds but as often as a lot of guys change heads, it might be a pain to constantly be installing them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 AM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: KickPort D-Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
Dunno about the D-port but I definitely can attest to the KickPort's killer sound. It makes perfect sense though. A subwoofer port focuses the right frequencies to "hit" and this does the same. They are making smaller versions for tom and snare heads too! That might create some create some nice, focused sounds but as often as a lot of guys change heads, it might be a pain to constantly be installing them.
The D-Ports are the smaller tom ports, if I'm not mistaken. I would be worried about how much they would dampen the head, but I always buy heads with built-in dampening, so I could just get heads without. I would be more than happy to reinstall them on new heads if they would make the kind of difference that they do for a kick drum

EDIT: I did a little more research and found that they got rid of the name D-Port, and just started calling them the FX series. It says they were to be released in 2013, but I can't find them for sale anywhere

Last edited by TColumbia37; 07-07-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,715
Default Re: KickPort D-Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
EDIT: I did a little more research and found that they got rid of the name D-Port, and just started calling them the FX series. It says they were to be released in 2013, but I can't find them for sale anywhere
They did a big reveal at the recent NAMM if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, I can't fathom wanting a kick drum sound from your toms, but if you do, then sure.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: KickPort D-Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
They did a big reveal at the recent NAMM if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, I can't fathom wanting a kick drum sound from your toms, but if you do, then sure.
Well, I wouldn't imagine it to be a 'kick drum sound'. It's just supposed to enhance the low end reseponse and clarity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,925
Default Re: KickPort D-Port?

Saw those tom ports 2 or 3 shows ago at NAMM, I assumed they gave up on them. Somehow, in contrast to using it on a kick, altering a smaller head that really needs to resonate as part of an open tom sound, just doesn't seem like a good idea. Let's say on a 13" tom, that smaller port takes up a lot of real estate, and definitely affects the resonance of that head. Of course, the resulting sound may be desirable, in the same way putting a pillow or blanket inside a kick was once frowned upon, yet became a very common thing. Then again, a kick is intended to make a different sound than a tom...

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,715
Default Re: KickPort D-Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
Well, I wouldn't imagine it to be a 'kick drum sound'. It's just supposed to enhance the low end reseponse and clarity.
I could see a possible use on a floor tom, but what I mean by the 'kick drum sound isn't the FX Port itself, but the physical port in the drum- which drastically decreases resonance (esp. on smaller toms) like Bermuda mentioned. If you wanna try one, more power to you!
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com