DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Hannah Ford and Prince

I must admit I'm excited about this, being a semi-Prince fan from the 80s. I just read a review that Prince is out on tour being backed up by a three-piece female rock trio called 3rdeyegirl, in which Hannah Ford is the drummer.

What I thought was cool was that Prince is doing some of his older material with this band and everything has a more rockier edge to it (perhaps shades of Lenny Kravitz?).

Has anyone seen this yet? Of course, Prince is so hush-hush on what he's doing and doesn't allow cel phones at his concerts that the only way to see them is with an official video release, but it sounds intriguing. I would love to hear some old classic Prince done by a rock band. And I really don't know much about Hannah Ford (other than what people say here), but I think it's cool she has a band and is playing for an actual big name artist. This is much better than being a YouTube phenomenon, don't you think?

It would be cool if he did a re-release of hits done with this new band. I suppose I'll have to get tickets for a show. Oddly enough, they just played near Disneyland at a place called the Grove, but of course, I'm stuck in the magic kingdom! Gah!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hannah Ford and Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I would love to hear some old classic Prince done by a rock band.
How about the "Fired Up" boys? :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8XNqDPXaqA&hd=1

Ok, maybe I'm not quite so attractive as Hanna. I'll get my coat :(

I did see her in a prince video a while back. Sounded pretty good, but who knows how that was generated. Certainly a prime gig for Hanna, that's for sure. Good luck to her :)
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
How about the "Fired Up" boys? :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8XNqDPXaqA&hd=1

Ok, maybe I'm not quite so attractive as Hanna. I'll get my coat :(

I did see her in a prince video a while back. Sounded pretty good, but who knows how that was generated. Certainly a prime gig for Hanna, that's for sure. Good luck to her :)
Good plug there, Andy ;)

Actually I was thinking of the more esoteric tunes like "Computer Blue" or "Sign o' the times". In fact, on their facebook page, they do a version of Billy Cobham's "Stratus" which I thought was pretty cool - I never heard it as a crunchy metal song before. But the question remains if Prince was part of that recording or not. You do hear two guitar parts going on, but they don't say who's playing what.

In fact, if you want to talk about Hannah's drumming, I actually like it when people just play their parts and put the music first. Everytime I've seen a YouTube video of anybody up and coming (including the few times I've seen Hannah do it), it's always filled with so much of that "bs that they play". Don't get me wrong, I'm like alot of people and I appreciate chops (and wish I could do it myself), but without the context of a song I lose interest in about 45 seconds (sorry to open up that can of worms again, but it's true).
Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Hannah Ford with Prince is here on Drummerworld:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/h...ordprince.html

3RDEYEGIRL - FIXURLIFEUP

Bernhard
Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

From YouTube to a backing gig with Prince! Pretty impressive.

Excuse me while I get a camera and grab my sticks!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Best part of all is that hater girl who came on here a few years ago trashing Hannah about how she doesn't have the skills required of a professional drummer. And now Hannah's got a gig with Prince and the hater girl has vanished into the ether.

I love a good comeuppance.

Knee deep in schadenfreude,
8Mile
Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

And she is now married, sob sob
Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Best part of all is that hater girl who came on here a few years ago trashing Hannah about how she doesn't have the skills required of a professional drummer. And now Hannah's got a gig with Prince and the hater girl has vanished into the ether.

8Mile
Yeah, sometimes I'll never understand the human condition regarding that hate stuff. People just have to be genuine and plug away and what they do. More power to anybody landing a gig period. There's so little work out there compared to how many players there are that it's good to see people moving onward and upward, eh?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

8Mile
I believe that was http://drummerworld.com/forums/member.php?u=31875 (DrummingApril). She also said that Jojo Mayer couldn't/shouldn't play jazz because he somehow hadn't played it long enough(jojo started playing jazz) and that Steve Hass is the best drummer in the world. She also had some kind of white knight that constantly followed her around and kept defending all her posts and such.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

8Mile
Yeah, that thread got out of hand.

I thought Hannha had great skill. At the time I was a bit baffled why she had so many endorsements and what the big deal was given she hadn't played with anyone high profile at the time. But clearly, she has since landed a gig with one of the biggest artists of the last 30 years, so there is no question about that now.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Yeah, that thread got out of hand.

I thought Hannha had great skill. At the time I was a bit baffled why she had so many endorsements and what the big deal was given she hadn't played with anyone high profile at the time. But clearly, she has since landed a gig with one of the biggest artists of the last 30 years, so there is no question about that now.
She isn't Jens Hannemann, but nobody's perfect ;)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
I believe that was http://drummerworld.com/forums/member.php?u=31875 (DrummingApril). She also said that Jojo Mayer couldn't/shouldn't play jazz because he somehow hadn't played it long enough(jojo started playing jazz) and that Steve Hass is the best drummer in the world. She also had some kind of white knight that constantly followed her around and kept defending all her posts and such.
That's the one!

I didn't know about the Jojo comments. Wow. Just... wow.

Quote:
Yeah, sometimes I'll never understand the human condition regarding that hate stuff. People just have to be genuine and plug away and what they do. More power to anybody landing a gig period. There's so little work out there compared to how many players there are that it's good to see people moving onward and upward, eh?
Perfectly stated, Bo. The last sentence says it all. It's so tough to make it that I have to tip my hat to anyone who can pull it off in this tough business. Hannah took a lot of flak for having a publicity team around her, but so what? Whatever it takes. You still have to be able to play to get a gig like that. More power to her, I say.

Last edited by Bernhard; 07-18-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Hannah Ford with Prince is here on Drummerworld:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/h...ordprince.html

3RDEYEGIRL - FIXURLIFEUP

Bernhard
Awesome, thanks Bernhard!

I'm happy for Hannah - this is a great opportunity for her. I have always liked her better than the average YouTube-hot-chick-drummer-sensation-of-the-month. I always felt she had a better feel and a more rock-and-roll groove than most. I'm glad to see it's paying off for her!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM

I saw this band on Monday night at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

Quote:
What I thought was cool was that Prince is doing some of his older material with this band and everything has a more rockier edge to it.
Has anyone seen this yet?
I would love to hear some old classic Prince done by a rock band.
Yes! It is exactly that: classic Prince songs reworked as a rock band. Like this: http://3rdeyegirl.com/#video-2-2
Plus some tasty new material too.

I loved it. Very cool. Prince at his Hendrix-y best, and the whole band (3rdeyegirl) is great including Hannah, Donna Grantis and Ina Nielsen.

Last edited by Bonzo_CR; 07-19-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 PM
oddtime74

The comments made toward Hanna whether here, on Youtube or else where by low IQ, meathead neanderthals disgusts me and further makes me embarrassed to be a drumming fan, hobbyist and/or enthusiast. Sometimes I wish I never bothered to discover "the drumming community" considering the type of attitudes I've seen over the past couple years.

Also to the previous comment about going "from YT to Prince" is ridiculous and I hope it's just weak trolling skills that's being shown. If you bothered to look up more videos of her, besides the ones you're possibly trying to fap to, you would see she has put in her dues and is quite the talent. IMO her being incredibly beautiful is just a plus to her drumming, not the other way around and here is a video to prove it. If you actually watch the whole thing you'll see she can do more than play 4/4 and smile. I am humbled by her playing and besides that is smart, beautiful, personable and good hearted.

TLDR? And to nobody in particular, get the **** over yourselves. Woman or especially man, it takes a man to admit a woman can do things better and I'd be willing to bet she would BURY quite a few who run their mouths just to look cool or tough when in fact it's just those trying to make up for their lack of talent, if any at all.

Watch it, don't watch it, what ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-80BGWneI8
Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM
oddtime74

Hey people can give their thoughts about her, I have no problem with that, then I can give mine, as well as give my opinion about said comments. Also how do you come to the conclusion that my post above was from being in a bad mood or that I see myself as a "god" lol? Maybe it's the tone of voice in your OWN head that makes you think that. IMO the comments about her from those that see nothing but a pair of "ta tas" and "average" skills are the ones who would come across as having a "god" like attitude.

Just sick of seeing hate or haters spewing their bs all the time whether it's Hanna, Lars or anything else. Wouldn't you agree?

Though tbh what good does it do me to sit here and defend her or anyone else for that matter? Not like shes going to come here to say thanks, or at the very least know about it or even give a damn. So yeah you're right. **** it. Seems evil is over riding good these days so my efforts to go against it and stand up for what's right or good just gets lost in the shadow of it all.

Peace.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM
oddtime74

ID,

I most certainly did NOT lump the whole community in with my post and I don't appreciate you insinuating I did so. I said, in general, those that make said comments toward Hanna or anyone else were meatheads and that because of the attitudes I've seen makes me wish I had never discovered it. I know there's a lot of good in the drumming world as well. Just because I say community doesn't mean I'm just refering to DW. Not to be mean here but learn to comprehend what's said before you pick apart a post because that's twice you took my posts out of context and chose to decipher what you wanted out of it.

I guess I'm just an emotional person and it shows with posts sometimes, especially if I am passionate about it.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
oddtime74

Right, I said because of the types of attitudes. Which means certain individuals within the community, not the WHOLE community. I'm not arguing either. I'm just letting you know the meaning behind my posts man. Either you care to understand or don't, that's fine.

I have to lol though and it's nothing new. I stand up and defend a lovely young woman who's outstanding on the drums from those who make ridiculous comments about her and I turn out to be the bad guy. Story of my life. It's all good though.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Wow oddtime74 - where did that all come from? I get your passionate about this but man, that just sounds angry. I saw the "from YT to Prince" comment but I don't think that was meant in any kind of disrespect here. In fact, I don't think there's any disrespect in this entire thread period. Unless things have been deleted and I didn't see them.

Your reactions that you've dumped here will certainly make this thread go the wrong way, and that's not what I meant at all. You can be pro-Hannah without spewing anger at others, man. I'd ask the moderators to delete your comments.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Wow, that changed the thread exponentially!

I got where you were coming from Bo and totally agree. Individual perceptions can be a hell of a thing though...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM

OK, one more time, in the spirit of getting the thread back thread on track.... :-)

I saw the band this week and they were GREAT.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
OK, one more time, in the spirit of getting the thread back thread on track.... :-)

I saw the band this week and they were GREAT.
I followed the link and heard that new version of "Let's Go Crazy" and must say I love that song now. In fact between "Purple Rain" and now I hadn't been following Prince at all but now it seems I really dig it as he enters this Hendrix-Black Sabbath phase. I'd buy whatever new album he puts out with this band.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 PM

Me too. He's entering a very cool new phase and the new material is great. There's some talk of an album coming out, and I for one will be looking out for it!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Holly smokes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCG2mPHGlkI
Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Awesome version. As he gets older he looks more and more like Little Richard ;)
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Silver Member

stardom and worshiping idols is stupid

that's pretty much all I got. ;)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Silver Member

she wouldn't get the gig if she played the same, but was a man.
I think we all know that.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
So what?

Being a musician, and moreover, an entertainer is all about the total package.

You can dislike it all you want, you can whinge about it to your heart's content. Life isn't fair, and that's all there is to it.

If you read anything by guys who were/are prolific session musicians, success is often as much about being able to get on well with other people as it is about hitting stuff.

There are many attributes required to rise to the top in any field, and the basic skills of the field are a minimum requirement.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Methinks Brian and Jorn aren't getting it. You will.

Maybe Brian's kidding?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Long live Hannah Ford. Manages to get rid of the elitist in the ivory tower that was Drumming April, the perpetual moan that was oddball74 and land the gig with Prince to top it all off.

God bless her!!

Quote:
Wow. What a sea of misery you're being!!

Given the rest of his line up, I reckon you're right. But that's more of a reflection on Prince than Hannah, no? Or does an artist no longer have the right to choose who plays with him and who doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
stardom and worshiping idols is stupid
But what's left to worship?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Holy smokes indeed! You can take things apart all you like, but deny this is a good rock performance, & you're missing the point big time!

Quote:
Quite possibly. The female band vibe is obviously crafted deliberately. So Prince put out the brief, & she got the part. That's cool for her as far as I'm concerned, & if "fairness" is a consideration, think of the number of damn good female drummers who don't get a gig because of gender.

Ok, let's put another angle on this. Suppose you put Vinnie in the driving seat, & substitute the other band members for highly skilled male players. Would it sound good? - hell yes. Would it sound the same? - no. Moreover, that show had an energy that actually benefitted from a crude rock edge. The package works, & works well IMO. It's entertainment folks!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Andy, what you said is exactly what I think.

Furthermore I think a lot of drummers would overplay in that situation.
Hannah Ford does an amazing job actually. Of course she doesn't play something complicated but it really fits the music and she is able to keep up the power and energy through the whole concert. THAT is what is really the hard part.
There are a lot of guys for sure who can play the most tricky stuff to that show but they'd loose energy after 30 minutes.

I love that combination :)
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

The funny thing is that if you can only see the outline of the hair in the video, then you'd be forgiven for mistaking it for any male band of the 1980s.

The bass player kicks serious arse.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Senior Consultant

As time goes by, male drummers who look down upon their female counterparts are going to be more and more disappointed.

Musical talent and dedication to a craft are not the sole domain of the male.

Yeah, maybe Hannah isn't Vinnie or John Blackwell but none of the guys reading this are either.

She's good enough to keep Prince's beat in this setting.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Methinks Brian and Jorn aren't getting it. You will.

Maybe Brian's kidding?
What is "it"? Maybe, maybe not. lol

I like Hannah Fords drumming, but there are thousands of drummers that I like. And none of them do I idolize.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What is "it"? Maybe, maybe not. lol

I like Hannah Fords drumming, but there are thousands of drummers that I like. And none of them do I idolize.
It wasn't my intention to suggest we idolize anyone here. I just think this is a great band. I hadn't followed Prince since it was Prince and the Revolution back in the 80s, and a four-piece rock band seems to be unlike anything else he could've done, I like it. It's good to see and hear.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just think this is a great band. I hadn't followed Prince since it was Prince and the Revolution back in the 80s, and a four-piece rock band seems to be unlike anything else he could've done, I like it. It's good to see and hear.
+1 on that Bo. I think he's made great choices all round. Should we not be celebrating the fact that there's a real band with real drums in a pop act?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
+1 on that Bo. I think he's made great choices all round. Should we not be celebrating the fact that there's a real band with real drums in a pop act?
Yes we should, and the fact that they're all real players is super-impressive as well. If you go to the 3rdeyegirl website, they even do a cover of Billy Cobhams' Stratus. It's a short version and I don't know if Prince is playing on it as well, but the fact that they're covering classics like that and re-interpreting Prince's old stuff is just way cool to me.

I think he's doing it right too. They haven't put out an album yet. He puts up a song here and there and I think it's creating more of a buzz.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Sorry about the provocation. She plays great - no doubt about it and its a 'theme band' anyway.
But she is not as funky as John Blackwell and Michael Bland. Thats just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry about the provocation. She plays great - no doubt about it and its a 'theme band' anyway.
But she is not as funky as John Blackwell and Michael Bland. Thats just my opinion.
No provocation taken - although I'm not sure if you're saying 'theme band' in some kind of derogatory way. Afterall, I've never seen a band that wasn't 'themed' a certain way that wasn't making money.

But not meaning to offend, every time I've heard other players say that certain players aren't this or that, those are usually the guys who aren't working doing that kind of talking. It usually takes alot more than just being able to play to get you connected to get a gig, and that's what we're all trying to do. So which guy are you trying to be?

That's the it I'm talking about ;)