DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Joe Walsh - The truth about music

Kind of a bummer to listen to but he has a strong point to make...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-nwKcSCzf4

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 06-30-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Joe Walsh- The truth about nusic

Not edited. Wrong button clicked.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

What a grump.

Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

A more sanguine view...

Dave Grohl's SXSW speech, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efv0Y5Fs7m4
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

He sure does have a point to make, & a valid one, yet somewhat blinkered to the possibilities too. I do agree on the cookie cutter programmed chart pop stuff though.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Kind of a bummer to listen to but he has a strong point to make...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-nwKcSCzf4
I don't understand what the 'bummer' here is. Or why anyone would think he's just being a grump? He's telling the truth. I've even supplemented my so-called 'career in music' by jumping through the MIDI hoops and doing stuff myself. But I've been in enough situations (professional and otherwise) that the mojo he's talking about is real - and it lacks today among the precision crafting of standardized music being produced for mass consumption.

I've always said (and have heard this from others) that your career in music is totally linked to how much beer you sell. And there are just too many variables out there (and too many people trying) that not everybody can be themselves and make a living doing it.

All you can do is the best you can do and keep plugging away. Remember that older guys in the 70s were complaining how much the industry had changed from the time they started. It's no different today.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Joe Walsh - The truth about music

Well first, it's an opinion. So it's legit in itself - that's what opinions are, right?
Secondly, it's a generalised statement. Sure it doesn't apply to everything out there, but that's the nature of generalised statements. I do see the point and unfortunately, he's damn right overall (that's my opinion).

Whatever the global situation on music production - do whatever you deem right, don't sacrifice music for anything (e.g. commercial success) and try achieving the highest degree of satisfaction that you can get (being overwhelmed by your music when listening back to it after many years, rather than having to feel ashamed). What more can we do anyway?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on genre. I agree with it in terms of what has become of the mainstream pop culture. At least here in the USA, I don't know if it's the same way in other countries so I can't speak for that. It's purely formulaic sewage. Seems much of Country has or is going the same direction as well.

I'm sure it has something to do with time and money saves (much like reality TV).

Jo Jo Mayer made a point of saying something like this in one of his clips I saw a while ago as well. To boot, he called out drummers on it.

I don't listen to this style so for me, it doesn't apply and I don't care. But for those that do, it's a shame to some degree. But then again it's what most people under the age of 20 (just throwing out a number) know. To them it's supposed to be this way.

Last edited by dmacc; 06-30-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

While I agree with the comments about formulaic, over-produced, programmed music, but that's very much a glass half empty point of view.

Joe Walsh's comments about there being no money left in music...well, cry me a river. If that means no more corporate-sponsored stadium concerts, I won't feel a huge loss.

Between youtube and music recording apps and inexpensive software, production of music (like production of movies and written works) has become democratised. That means that talented individuals can reach wide audiences without the support of record labels.

Years ago I messed around with a Fostex 4 track recorder. It was a fairly expensive (to me) piece of kit that after lots of work produced the audio equivalent of a rough sketch. The same things that JW was complaining about make it possible for teenage versions of me to create digital copies of their music that are in better quality and easier to share than ever before.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Renegade

"Mojo" is an elusive word the way Joe used it. Looking back at the pop of the 70s, was there mojo in Tue A Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree, or Billy Don't Be a Hero or You're Having My Baby or anything by Captain and Tenille or Status Quo? As with lots of modern pop, any mojo the music may or may not have doesn't save the songs from being pukeworthy.

Every era has had its share of execrable pop. I suspect the horrible-to-cool ratio of pop has increased over the years as rationalism and commercial formulas become entrenched, but I haven't stayed in touch with pop enough to say that with confidence.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 06-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Joe Walsh made two points in that video that I would like to comment on.
1. All music and Everything is free, everything is downloaded and there is no longer any money in it. I do believe that eventually money will be made by the download. Not the way it used to be, but a new way, perhaps through advertising. Perhaps the bands with the most downloads will support a higher advertisement rate. Similar to the way radio made its money.

2. Playing by Recipe, no Mojo, no Magic of human performance and it is the nature of human beings to seek the human performance.

Joe Walsh talked about the uniqueness that live human performance has. I agree and I say that this is not isolated to just the art of music, but extends to many other arts as well.
You can buy a factory made cymbal, drum, or a piece of furniture even. However, many prefer the handmade craftsmanship when a human being builds the object with the attention and care. The human being can make errors and correct for them. This adds a degree of uniqueness to the work that a machine made object does not have. There has been a demand for handmade craftsmanship of furniture, pottery, glass, art and musical instruments for many years. Music itself is an art form, and there is no reason not to believe that a desire for live human beings making music with Mojo and Magic will not be a desired art form.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

This is all stuff that Bob Lefsetz talks about pretty much daily in his newsletter. Anyone interested in the subject of how the business is changing and what it takes to make it as a musician today should really seek out the Lefsetz letters.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

I completely agree with Joe and disagree with the "grumpy" factor.

I grew up in NY City.IN the late 60's and early to late 70's you could go and see live bands 7 days a week ,from late afternoon to early morning.From amatures to pro recording artists,they were all there.

One of the things they had in common was they ALL,repeat ,ALL got paid.In every band I was in,we did out fair share of unpaid charity benefits,or the occasional benefit to help with medical bills or a family displaced because their house burned down

But playing a gig in a pub or club..for free.NEVER.

Joe paid his dues in some of those same clubs as we did.I remember the great majority of bands never turning in a perfect performance.But like Joe says,it was a human performance.I watched the great Joe Morello drop a stick,and recover to finish a solo.That even made it more meaningful to me.

I rather prefer the less than perfect performance,it kind of kicks you in the butt and lets you know that there are real musicians in front of you,playing real music...without do overs and punch- ins.

The quest for the perfect performance has sterilized a great deal of music made today.Programed and computerized.Why not just turn on the tape,and let er' rip.A few punch ins ok but obsessing with perfection...................keep it.

Now all those venues want free music,and it's tougher and tougher to make a living at it,because plenty of younger bands buy into the free music thing and will cut your legs out to actually lose money playing for free.For ego or exposure or both,while the venue owner makes all the cash.

I've said it before and it bears repeating.If you play for free(especially amatures) all the time,you're just making it tough for musicians who want to do this for a living,and are good at it.

Music is NOT free.There's always a price associated with it's performance in a studio or live.

Steve B
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I think the disgust stems from the fact that the money is not there like it used to be. The digital age has laid waste to many businesses. Travel agents for instance.

Imagine going to college, paying your dues, then working hard in a field and sacrificing, for many decades, and making great money, then seeing that all slip away. It's upsetting. Now he has to learn a whole new way to profit from music. After being in any business for that long, usually things get easier money-wise, not tougher. It's harder now for Joe to make money and I can't blame him for lamenting about it.

I'm glad I don't depend on music to fund my lifestyle.

Gomez Addams
Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

It really is amazing how the business model for an artist has changed since I was a kid. From the elusive record company Mogul you'd try to get to listen to your tape to home studios and YouTube and social media giving yourself and your band exposure. Plus the iTune downloads and online lessons going into your bank account.

Even after 40 years of touring and recording hit records, The Moody Blues are on tour selling not only seats to the show but various VIP packages to tour the stage and see the band's equipment with meet and greet session after the show. Bands are finding new ways to generate revenue to supplement ticket sales.
I don't know if too many people hear these famous words anymore: "Come in here dear boy have a cigar, your gonna go far."

Adapt or get left behind I guess...
Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

I suppose Joe is right.

There are days I regret ever becoming a musician. If you are thinking about how to to make money, you can't possibly be thinking about the art of making music, IMO. Thus, music is ever relegated to the hobbyist level, or the commercial artist level. A few skate the craftsman level in between (me included).

Wish I'd become an engineer, sometimes.

Ah well. I couldn't stop playing if I tried, now, and that puts me at the economic mercy of those more predatory than I.

Sorry. Sour grapes.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm an engineer but also play the drums. If I win the lottery I will quit my job but will never quit drumming.
Then you know exactly what I mean. ;-)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

I am also an engineer (mechanical), it is a tough job with long days and very few rewards. And by the way, the engineering business has also changed over the last few years. But, I am glad I can come home and beat on the drums.

To help make things less stressful I have photos of the faces of my co-workers and place them on my toms. (This was a joke, by the way).

Drumming is my art, my expression and my hobby. But even though the business has changed, and I am not making much money doing it, I will still continue to play and enjoy it.

Last edited by evolving_machine; 07-01-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Renegade

What do we want out of music?

The buzz
A higher calling
Creative kicks
The challenge of composition
Sense of mastery
The physical sensation of drumming movements
Party party!
Fame and fortune
Popularity
Ego strokes
Escape from 9 to 5
Beats watching the telly

Apart from the buzz of playing music with people with instruments and the physical sensation, a person can get all those things by sequencing music.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
This is all stuff that Bob Lefsetz talks about pretty much daily in his newsletter. Anyone interested in the subject of how the business is changing and what it takes to make it as a musician today should really seek out the Lefsetz letters.
I just subscribed. I'm trying to recall if this is the same newsletter I subscribed to back in 1995. I just don't recall.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
What do we want out of music?

The buzz
A higher calling
Creative kicks
The challenge of composition
Sense of mastery
The physical sensation of drumming movements
Party party!
Fame and fortune
Popularity
Ego strokes
Escape from 9 to 5
Beats watching the telly

Apart from the buzz of playing music with people with instruments and the physical sensation, a person can get all those things by sequencing music.
Let's not forget the chicks...
Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Let's not forget the chicks...
How selfish of me lol

I expect plenty of DJs do just fine with women, but bedroom sequencer experts not so much.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Thanks, never heard of this looks great.

Music like many industries changes. There are opportunitie sin the new ways, see the new book 'making music' by David Byrne on this. More opportunities than ever for new undiscovered people who used to need to be 'discovered' by scouts to get into an expensive studio to start.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I expect plenty of DJs do just fine with women, but bedroom sequencer experts not so much.
Pfffffft!

My best bedroom sequences have all involved women.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 AM

Seeing this made me feel bad for Joe Walsh.

Growing up my father used to play his records and I liked them alot. He was one of my early guitar heros when I was 14 or so. It's a shame he has such antiquated views about drum machines and the like.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM

"oh there's no mojo, no magic everyones playing to a drum machine"

I want to point out how atrociously boring and terrible the drumming on his newest album Analog Man was.

Just to contrast this whole "live drummer vs. drummer machine"

Joe Walsh "live drummer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdJQ4...4DF12F1514D0B8
WOW THAT'S SUCH AN INTERESTING DRUM BEAT WITH SO MUCH ENERGY

Animals as Leaders, actual drum machine
http://youtu.be/ohXFfI70mLw

wow such a boring lifeless drum beat.

Really sad to see one of the old greats Like Joe Walsh completely miss understanding modern developments, like anything, technology can be used or misused.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

As we sit, people tend to take the jobs that pay the best and require the least as allowed by their overall skillset....

I think this disparity of vocation to advocation is what will spell the failure of modern society.

Until passion of an individual truly demarks functional survivability we will see lack luster performance at critical points - fueled by the need to make a living.

This, of course, goes far beyond the music industry.

Add up all of these lack luster performances and systems tend to fall apart when stressed.

Replace the main focus of amassing resources with executing what you are passionate about and those systems will have a robust nature that will survive extremes.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post

I want to point out how atrociously boring and terrible the drumming on his newest album Analog Man was.

Joe Walsh "live drummer"

Really sad to see one of the old greats Like Joe Walsh completely miss understanding modern developments, like anything, technology can be used or misused.
I actually like the drumming on the Walsh track. Nice solid groove.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I actually like the drumming on the Walsh track. Nice solid groove.
You could probably make a case for that, but if you were to listen to a 40 minuet record with that same groove on every track I'm sure you would get a little tired of it as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 AM

I became aware in high school band that most members of our local symphony orchestra (Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra) had second jobs, repaired / bought / sold instruments, and / or taught at the local college conservatory to augment their income. At the time, I was playing in a couple not very serious bands comprised of not very good musicians; me included! I saw a LOT of much more talented musicians than I would ever be not making a living from their music. So I went to school to be an engineer. This was the early 70s.

There was a lot of money made in rock, country, and “popular” music (less so in jazz and classical) in the next 30 years or so but sadly it seems most of it didn’t go to the people actually making the music.

Certainly divorcing the music from the need to manufacture and distribute the media transporting it has radically changed the music business and the power structure. As others have noted, even world class musicians have to work harder as they now not only have to make the music, they have to market it too. My hope is that eliminating the various middlemen and music biz infrastructure will put more money in the hands of the folks making the music.

This has not all shaken out yet by any means.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Joe Walsh "live drummer"

Your missing Joes point.His beef is with the current formula of studio production.Using a drum machine has become the status quo.He dosen't completely reject technology,he just dosen't completely rely on it

The somewhat flawed organic human live performance , is augmented by click tracks,tape loops,auto tune ect.Where's the sponteneity of a few guys just plugging in and letting it rip.

No one wants to pay for music anymore.It just gets tougher and tougher to actually make a living as a musician.

He, like me,comes from a time, where we played bars,clubs school dances and every other venue we could to make a buck and pay our dues.We also got paid.No one worked for free.We wouldn't even entertain the idea of working for free.You played......you got paid....period.

The concept of perfection has overridden the human performance of instruments that are played by hand ,by flawed and IMPERFECT human musicians.

That obsession with perfection,and the notion that music is free........... need to go away.

Steve B
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
No one wants to pay for music anymore.It just gets tougher and tougher to actually make a living as a musician.

That obsession with perfection,and the notion that music is free........... need to go away.

Steve B
Those are the key points, right there. I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The somewhat flawed organic human live performance , is augmented by click tracks,tape loops,auto tune ect.Where's the sponteneity of a few guys just plugging in and letting it rip.
Once again have you listened to Joe Walsh's new album? He may have a fair point but he has no right to say that when his album is almost as sterile as a Nickleback album, it's just being hypocritical.

Quote:

He, like me,comes from a time, where we played bars,clubs school dances and every other venue we could to make a buck and pay our dues.We also got paid.No one worked for free.We wouldn't even entertain the idea of working for free.You played......you got paid....period.
Well that doesn't make sense, as there's more Indie bands making a living on music, and nothing but music, now than ever, he's just complaining about the fact that you can't make AS MUCH money now than you could back in the day, Joe isn't complaining about having to play for free, he probably hasn't played a single show in the past 20 years that cost less than 60$ a ticket.

there's no possible way you can complain about music not being a valid money making means when bands and artists like Metric, Neon Indian, Com Truise, Intronaut, Local Natives, Cage The Elephant, ect ect ect have been formed in recent years and continue to make a living off of music despite piracy and the "everything for free" attitude of people today.

Quote:
the notion that music is free........... need to go away.

Steve B
Couldn't disagree more, with music being free it allows the average person to enjoy a much broader range of music; which will make it more likely for that person to find music they enjoy and become passionate about, and people will always pay artists that they are passionate about.

Two different views from two different era's I guess..
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more, with music being free it allows the average person to enjoy a much broader range of music; which will make it more likely for that person to find music they enjoy and become passionate about, and people will always pay artists that they are passionate about.
You had me up until this point. Romantic notion, but not at all practical. Who the hell is gonna start paying for something that they think they're entitled to for free?

It's that mindset that is the crux of the issue with this particular point. The very line of thought that someone else's efforts should be free purely because it's "art" is what stems the problem to begin with.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
You had me up until this point. Romantic notion, but not at all practical. Who the hell is gonna start paying for something that they think they're entitled to for free?

It's that mindset that is the crux of the issue with this particular point. The very line of thought that someone else's efforts should be free purely because it's "art" is what stems the problem to begin with.
Well to be fair, I could be wrong.

I think the challenge of modern musicians will have to be to make people feel privileged to have access to free music, not that they are entitled to it, which of course is going to be quite a hurdle to overcome.

I absolutely think that musicians need to embrace free music though, because it's not going to stop. You can either make the best out of it as you can, or you can ignore it.

A question of whether it is moral or immoral to pirate music is another topic entirely,imo.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

I think Joe Walsh is totally whining about the money part. I agree completely with his points about the human/artistic side.

The new era has important strong points:
-- more opportunity than ever for new artists because technology has made them able to access recording easier. What artists decide to do with the technology is up to them artistically, and varies
---record companies having to actually do something, and not get filthy rich
---artists actually show themselves and go out and play to make money
----artists making less but ultimately being more in control of their art and product

On the Production side - bad things
---autotune, technology, machines and 'unorganic' sounding music.

People will tire, or are tiring of the processed recorded pablum we are being fed.
There could soon be a niche market for live 'off the floor' recorded music. It will distinguish itself from all the processed stuff by being just that - live, organic, imperfect, just like Robert Johnson's hotel room recordings. People might then be interested in it because its 'different' from todays pablum. Fashion runs full circle. Just like organic food, it simply awaits the right times and market.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Very interesting thread here. Old vs new in a way. Both tracks posted earlier wore on me by the end lol. I saw Joe with the Eagles about 5 years ago, and man was he giving the drummer some s&%#. It wasn't Don Henley it was someone else, Don didn't play the first few songs. He started a few songs in on a different drumset. But I thought it was pretty mean to clearly chastise the guy. I couldn't even tell what the drummer was doing wrong.

Gomez Addams
Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Between youtube and music recording apps and inexpensive software, production of music (like production of movies and written works) has become democratised. That means that talented individuals can reach wide audiences without the support of record labels.
This is certainly the part I love. So many bands I've discovered over the last 5-6 years wouldn't be possible without the net.

And for myself, the last album I played on didn't sell much, but it went all over the world. Pretty trippy to think people from Japan to the Netherlands own a CD I'm on. That certainly would not have been possible in a prior years.

Quote:
I completely agree with Joe and disagree with the "grumpy" factor.

I grew up in NY City.IN the late 60's and early to late 70's you could go and see live bands 7 days a week ,from late afternoon to early morning.From amatures to pro recording artists,they were all there.

One of the things they had in common was they ALL,repeat ,ALL got paid.In every band I was in,we did out fair share of unpaid charity benefits,or the occasional benefit to help with medical bills or a family displaced because their house burned down

But playing a gig in a pub or club..for free.NEVER.

Now all those venues want free music,and it's tougher and tougher to make a living at it,because plenty of younger bands buy into the free music thing and will cut your legs out to actually lose money playing for free.For ego or exposure or both,while the venue owner makes all the cash.

I've said it before and it bears repeating.If you play for free(especially amatures) all the time,you're just making it tough for musicians who want to do this for a living,and are good at it.

Music is NOT free.There's always a price associated with it's performance in a studio or live.

Steve B
This is where I do agree. Although, it is perhaps a separate discussion, as the downhill of pay for live music started well before the internet.

Still, it is a bit sad. So many great musicians and/or great bands were able to develop and become great because they made their living playing live music on a local level. They could devote 24/7 to their craft because they got paid, and didn't absolutely have to have a day job to eat.

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more, with music being free it allows the average person to enjoy a much broader range of music; which will make it more likely for that person to find music they enjoy and become passionate about, and people will always pay artists that they are passionate about...
Perhaps, but it's not always possible.
There are some bands I am passionate about, but they are on the other side of the world. If they don't play the US, I can't buy the ticket and get the t-shirt. Heck, just finding the albums can be a challenge. Sure, I'll try to at least get them their 99 cents a song download, but that only pays the band a few pennies against their recording cost.

But of course, not everyone even bothers to try to legally download the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
People will tire, or are tiring of the processed recorded pablum we are being fed.
There could soon be a niche market for live 'off the floor' recorded music. It will distinguish itself from all the processed stuff by being just that - live, organic, imperfect, just like Robert Johnson's hotel room recordings. People might then be interested in it because its 'different' from todays pablum. Fashion runs full circle. Just like organic food, it simply awaits the right times and market.
Yes, but it will be mainstream? Or just a fringe element of people?

I'm amazed by the number of grown adults I have met who have NEVER seen a live band.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Two different views from two different era's I guess..
People will not pay for something they can get for free, especially if the lack of a price tag is condoned. For heaven's sake, more people steal their music now (mp3s) than pay for it! I think it is totally naive to think people will pay.

It's great that people have a low-cost way to make and disseminate music, but it is an illusion that this makes music FREE. There is a huge investment of time and talent, not to mention equipment if you play certain instruments. The idea that anybody who has something to say, musically, will say it whether there is financial reward or not, is mistaken. You'll never know how many people will never take up an instrument because it is just another expensive hobby with little chance of even paying for itself. Some of the best musicians I've ever known have quit because they needed to spend their time making a living rather than indulging in a hobby. Only people with a surplus of time and $ will bother to make music. The people who will truly starve for their art are few and far between.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
People will not pay for something they can get for free, especially if the lack of a price tag is condoned. For heaven's sake, more people steal their music now (mp3s) than pay for it! I think it is totally naive to think people will pay.
personally I know many people who pirate music then pay for the album later.

It's a pretty common thing among most of my friends who are into music, yes some people won't pay for it, but there definitely are people who are willing to contribute money to the bands they support, even if it's just buying T-shirts or other merch.

And we could go into whether or not this is ethical(which clearly is where this is headed), but that doesn't change the fact that artists need to adjust to this, not ignore it.