DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Aquarian Tru-Bounce Practice Pad issues... Anyone else have this problem?

I purchased an Aquarian Tru-Bounce practice pad a few months ago. It's a great practice pad and has a good feel to it. I have no complaints on the performance.

The problem is, and I'm ashamed to admit it lol, I haven't used it in several weeks. When I finally returned to it for some practice, the neoprene rubber top is really sticky!? It feels similar to the bottom of electrical tape. I can't slide my hand across it without my fingers peeling away from the surface. It's certainly not the sticking practice I was intending to engage in...

Anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions for cleaning? Soap n water is NOT doing the trick...

It wasn't stored improperly, if improper storage of a practice pad is ever even an issue!? I just placed it upon a shelf. I dunno what's up with it... Guess I'll store it in the freezer next time with all the other perishables.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Aquarian Tru-Bounce Practice Pad issues... Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like you got a bad pad somehow.

I have both Aquarian practice pads and have never experienced anything like that. However, I have had a drumhead issue in the past and Roy Burns himself helped me. I'm sure they would make good on a practice pad too.

I looked but couldn't seem to find the number for Aquarian. I did find the merchandise extension though. They might be able to help or at least forward your information to Customer Service. Give them a call at 714-568-1126.

Or you can probably send an email directly to Aquarian from their site...

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/contact
Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Aquarian Tru-Bounce Practice Pad issues... Anyone else have this problem?

This hasn't happened to me with practice pads, but I have seen the same thing with Playstation 2/3 controller thumb sticks. I think it's something to do with the type of petroleum used in the rubber compound and heat.

But I can second Aquarian for good customer service. I got a head with a wrinkle in it a few years back and also spoke with Roy Burns, he sent me a replacement and had a nice long conversation with me about various head types.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll give them a call.

You mentioned that some petroleum based products can develope a similar problem when exposed to heat and come to think of it, our practice space, where the pad was located, can reach temperatures upwards of 85*. We usually cool it down just before practice. Perhaps that was the issue. I read a customer review of the tru-bounce on amazon and saw a customer who reported experiencing similar issues. The neoprene surface must react with heat and cause the surface to be sticky. I'm no chemist, but it sounds like a good hypothesis!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly! View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll give them a call.

You mentioned that some petroleum based products can develope a similar problem when exposed to heat and come to think of it, our practice space, where the pad was located, can reach temperatures upwards of 85*. We usually cool it down just before practice. Perhaps that was the issue. I read a customer review of the tru-bounce on amazon and saw a customer who reported experiencing similar issues. The neoprene surface must react with heat and cause the surface to be sticky. I'm no chemist, but it sounds like a good hypothesis!
I'm not really sure what would cause that to happen to your pad. I used to keep one of mine in the garage where it got well over 85 degrees in the summer. I never had any issues with it.

I'm sure Aquarian can get you straightened out though.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

The things I would do for 85... hope it gets sorted out!