DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Which electronic drum kit for a beginner?

I'm am about to start learning how to play the drums I have only played maybe 2 or 3 hours worth in my life but found it fun and I wasn't all that bad. I now have a job and can afford to purchase a electronic set as where I live an acustic set just wouldn't work. I have done alot of searching and can't really find what info I needed and I'm hoping you guys with some experience could help. Which kit should I buy that will be the best bang for my buck the Alexis dm6 pro kit or dm8 USB kit or the yamaha dtx 500k. I really like the Alesis for it has more options dual zone snare 2 and 3 zone cymbals depending on the model I might chose for the price yet the yamaha should have alot better module best I can tell. And would allow me although very expensive to upgrade it as I learn. And I'm just completely lost as to which kit to purchase.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which electronic drum kit for a begginer

As in every other thread on this topic, stick with Yamaha or Roland.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which electronic drum kit for a beginner?

I use Yamaha stuff - it hits the sweet spot for the price/performance ratio.

It's got a better reliability record than Alesis, and is less expensive than Roland.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 PM

I just purchased the yamaha dtx500k bundle from Kraft music I figured I would like it better in the end and it would last longer with better Warrenty and customer service while also being expandable. I hope I enjoy them should recieve them in 3 days can't wait
Old 06-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Silver Member

If you can find a well-maintained kit, I'd go with that used Roland kit, personally. Perhaps get a nicer kit for the same money.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 AM

Looked for 2 weeks eBay and Craigslist couldn't find any under 2 grand that wasn't a better deal than buying new so I just went for it I'm just learning so this kit should do me for a While and every week ill save 50 or 100 bucks and if I find I am good at them and would like to peruse the drums even more ill begin upgrading them with dual zone pads and 3 zone cymbals starting with the snare and hit-hat
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM

When I was discussing e-drums around town, my local music store sales guy said, "Whatever you do, don't get an Alesis. If you do, it will be back here within a matter of weeks because of some malfunction, and Alesis will be extemely unhelpful when I call them." Problem was, I had already bought a DM8 USB. And, the rubber came right off two of the toms, then the kick drum quit altogether. The dealer where I bought it kindly shipped me another tom (it broke too) and said that when he contacted Alesis about my dud kit, the response "wasn't pretty!" Long story short, I returned it and got a Roland TD-11KS for $900 Cdn,, added a fourth tom and have never looked back. OK. it's an entry level kit, rubber toms with single triggers et al,, but it suits me very well, and i feel I can hit it all i want (the Alesis sounds are great, IMO, and varied, but the build quality is lacking). Haven't tried Yamaha, but the choice really is only Roland or Yammie!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

Please use the search function.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 PM

I've been using a Session Pro DD505. It's by no means a great kit, the module and sounds are meh, but they do the job. The pads have lasted a very long time. It's also very cheap.