DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 AM

Default What to look for when buying used pedals...

Hey there DW new guy here. Looking at buying some used Mapex Falcon doubles from craigslist, the older version with changeable cams and strap/chain drives.

I personally don't like buying used gear because it's tough to know for sure what the items are treated like and how long they'll last. I have before and it's not too bad besides some rust and wear here and there. But I have only bought hardware and drums, not pedals.

If anybody has any experience or advice on what to look for, and some good testing ideas when buying used pedals please post. Especially for falcons!

I plan on bringing a drum key, big towel with my bass drum as well as my gibraltar practice kick pad along with my current pedal. To compare and test 'em out.

If there is another thread about this please let me know, and thanks in advance.

Anyways I hope this thread can be a reference for everyone in buying used pedals.

Last edited by dat yeti; 06-14-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Unnecessary info.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What to look for when buying used pedals...

Just inspect any metal plates/hinges/cast parts for cracks or excessive wear. Those are the only real things you need to worry about, since virtually every other piece of the pedal is easily replacable. That, and check to make sure none of the little threads on the cam or anything are stripped, or excessively worn.

I got a DW5002 used a few years ago for $150. I never use the slave pedal, but as a single pedal, it's still going strong. The only thing I've had to replace is the spring. As a rule, I always buy drum gear used if I can find it.

It's probably a good idea to put the spring from your current pedal onto the pedal that you're trying out, so that you know if the pedal lacks response, or just has a weak spring.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I would size up the guy who is selling it and try and guess whether he abused it or not. That and a good visual inspection.

Pedals last a long time generally speaking. As long as nothing is glaring, you should be OK.

Gomez Addams
Old 06-08-2013, 07:46 PM

For the most part, if bass drum pedals look okay, they probably are. It's pretty hard to damage bass drum pedals, even the cheapsters. Bass drum pedals today are made extremely durable. I'd make sure the cams aren't cracked or anything. Make sure the chain . strap is good shape. Make sure no bolts are missing.

I've honestly never heard of anyone just breaking a pedal outright. I've had a few come loose from a lack of tightening the proper areas, but never broken one.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:11 AM

Great stuff guys, thanks a lot for the info and speed!

There is definitely a need for common sense here.

I am going to make a list with all of these points and keep it handy so I don't forget! haha

I think since these pedals can only be a few years old tops, I should be fine but I guess it comes down to performance overall. Should feel fairly smooth or better.