DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 05-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default A short clip of the Sound and the Fury ;)

Hey all -

I wanted to share some of my live playing that I do with my show choir gig I do here in southern California. I've talked about it before and I usually get the "what are you doin' that for?" reaction from others. Tonight was our last concert of the year for the students and the last time we'd do these shows (before we start up again in September with another group of kids and new shows), so I threw the Zoom Q3 up to see what I actually look like when I do this.

Anyway, think of this as a marching band of sorts. The kids learn a 15-18 minute show, and they take it out to compete against other schools. They sing and dance, and they hire musicians to back them up. In this instance, there's only two of us, me and a keyboard player who's playing two keyboards through a 1,000 watt PA rig for himself. I'm un-mic'd. Some schools have entire orchestras, or small combos. We get away with just the two of us because vocally, I think having too many musicians gets in the way of the choir.

But after editing down the video, I realized one thing: we are literally the only show choir where we start at forte and go beyond. We even play everything alot faster than normal too. So, to be honest, I couldn't play this way for any other show choir, this is more like a rock n' roll gig - any one else we would just bury in the sound. So what you're seeing is a clip from their Beatles medley.

I was using my zep kit here with 15" New Beats, 26" bass drum, and my 24" K Light Ride. And there are alot of spots where I couldn't get loud enough! Forget subtle and musical - this is just outright bashing. It's rather therapeutic. I apologize for the apparent abuse to my beloved 24" ride - but you know it makes a great crash if you hit it hard enough.

So that's why I do it - I get to really play like Animal most of the time, and it's a pretty good check too! It beats having to play for four hours a night, don't you think?

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea02P...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A short clip of the Sound and the Fury ;)

Now that I really like!!!!!!!!! That's the first time I've seen you really laying into the drums, & is suits you well sir. Simple bashing - great groove pocket - punchy drums. It doesn't get much better than that. Driving, driving, driving Bo :) :) :)

Your comment, "forget musical"? Really, I'd call that very musical. It's right for the music & the vibe - right?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

I enjoyed this - the first thing that went trough my mind was this guy:

That K sounds really good!

thx

jorn
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

That was solid! And I don't think it's cymbal abuse, big and thin cymbals are very durable. :)
Old 05-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Anthony Amodeo

you know exactly how I feel about your playing Matt .......I wish this vid was an hour long

that K and those hats sound ridiculous
Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
you know exactly how I feel about your playing Matt .......I wish this vid was an hour long

that K and those hats sound ridiculous
Thanks for watching Anthony! I do have the whole show, but you may lose your will to live after five minutes (sometimes I do ;)!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Not just the cymbals -- the whole kit sounds great. I dig the Supra, it's dialed in perfectly. What a fun gig.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Awesome, bo! Love to see you just rockin' out like that. Rock solid playing, looks effortless. And the drums sound great! Love that Supra.

Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks all for watching so far. There is a side benefit to this gig (because we don't have just one of these show choirs, we actually have four) - it's a bit of a workout - so it's probably helping me keep my girlish figure. For now.

Speaking of the Supra, the one thing I've always dealt with on those old P-85 strainers is the need to constantly adjust them while I'm playing. And going from playing hard to not playing at all sometimes with the kids means the strainer gets flipped on and off probably moreso than on any other gig. And while I pound the drum really hard, the strainer loosens up because I don't start with it at 'choked levels'. Is it just me or does everybody deal with this?

As I consider that I may need louder drums, a set of Gurus may be a good investment for this gig. I'd really like to discover how much louder a 26" Guru bass drum would be now ;)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Great playing and awesome sounding drums,as usual. I love that ride.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'd really like to discover how much louder a 26" Guru bass drum would be now ;)
A lot cheaper to put your existing bass drum through the PA Bo ;)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Renegade

Geez Bo, that was intense! Damn fine drummer with a broad range.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 AM

Realy nice drive there.....:-)
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Speaking of the Supra, the one thing I've always dealt with on those old P-85 strainers is the need to constantly adjust them while I'm playing. And going from playing hard to not playing at all sometimes with the kids means the strainer gets flipped on and off probably moreso than on any other gig. And while I pound the drum really hard, the strainer loosens up because I don't start with it at 'choked levels'. Is it just me or does everybody deal with this?
I think it's a "most people" thing. For a design with so many imitators, the P-85 is really junk. I count myself lucky that mine hasn't really developed any issues yet. Maybe you'd be happier with a P-86...?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I think it's a "most people" thing. For a design with so many imitators, the P-85 is really junk. I count myself lucky that mine hasn't really developed any issues yet. Maybe you'd be happier with a P-86...?
I think I may try one of those. Off to Pro Drum this coming weekend then!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

I loved the playing Bo. We should all get in touch with our inner Animal once in a while!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Cool stuff. That will keep you awake for sure
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think I may try one of those. Off to Pro Drum this coming weekend then!
Send pics when you get it done.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Very nice playing man. I enjoyed that vid. What I dug most is the fact that you were there supporting the kids. I dig that man!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

I only do "animal playing" now. The rest is just too boring for me. Great job.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Geez Bo is there no limit to your versatility? I do love your playing. Digging the unison 8th note transitions. (or are they 16th notes?) This is yet another facet of your playing that you've never shown here before. You can really turn up the intensity when it calls for it. You are a great friggin musician man, all the way around. I wish the clip was longer too. It does seem like a big space to fill without being miced. It's sounded great on the recording, I hope all that carried out into the audience. Harry should be proud to see that his former set is still bringing joy. Love your playing posts.

Gomez Addams
Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Very cool playing, Bo.. very tight.

You were laying into that K but it wasnt peaking. Is it a very thin cymbal?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM

Love it! Tons of energy!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Geez Bo is there no limit to your versatility? I do love your playing. Digging the unison 8th note transitions. (or are they 16th notes?) This is yet another facet of your playing that you've never shown here before. You can really turn up the intensity when it calls for it. You are a great friggin musician man, all the way around. I wish the clip was longer too. It does seem like a big space to fill without being miced. It's sounded great on the recording, I hope all that carried out into the audience. Harry should be proud to see that his former set is still bringing joy. Love your playing posts.
Thanks Larry for the kind words - I take your compliments seriously because you don't hand them out all the time ;)

Funny thing about these show choir gigs - when I started I actually got hired because I played good brushes and can embellish alot while keeping the time steady, but as the years went on and we took on this rock 'n' roll approach, I hardly ever play brushes anymore! I will work on a longer clip of maybe the whole medley so you can see the transitions we go through but yeah, 18 minutes is pretty long. Although we're not slamming it the whole time - the choir is still required to sing an a'cappella song, and we have a power ballad in the show, along with a Mary Poppins medley that ended the show (the kids have three costume changes too).

From what I understand, the parents in the front row might've thought the band was being oppressively loud, but it balances out when there's 50 kids in front of us ;) I think I may start using the hard plastic side of the beater. Those Ludwigs were the best investment for this gig.

And Aydee, the K Light Ride is a relatively thin cymbal. It feels buttery and wobbles. But it crashes great when you hit it hard enough! Part of me thinks the Paiste 24" 2002 Big Al ride might be a better choice sometimes - but from my position, there are also kids manning the props and they're stuck in their position until the prop has to move. There was a girl just to my left right in front of the ride, and I think she may be going deaf at 16 years old. There is also a spot in the show when kids are crawling behind the risers, but they end up right in front of my bass drum and the keyboard PA system - I'm sure that's probably not as enjoyable as they thought ;)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Cant believe how many feet there are on stage in front of you either! Looks like a great gig and the perfect guy for the job. You dont take up very much space either, haha. Looks like fun.