DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Wondering why Vin (aydee) isn't around as much as in the past. Good to see you around stranger!
He's like a fine wine you've been saving for a special occasion. Need to uncork him & let him breathe for a while too.

You & me Larry, we're cheap plonk, & proud of it ;) ;) ;)
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
He's like a fine wine you've been saving for a special occasion. Need to uncork him & let him breathe for a while too.

You & me Larry, we're cheap plonk, & proud of it ;) ;) ;)
Bottle of metho bought from the supermarket here! Mix with OJ and you have a party.

Cannot understand how J, Madge and Ian find being alone a drag. I have lived alone for over a decade and I love it! It would take a helluva chemical reaction to get me even thinking of sharing digs with anyone again.

Soundcloud stream
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Cannot understand how J, Madge and Ian find being alone a drag. I have lived alone for over a decade and I love it! It would take a helluva chemical reaction to get me even thinking of sharing digs with anyone again.
I suppose it's what one's used to. I was very upset when the Madgettes both went off to uni because the house was so quiet. Now I get upset when they come home!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I suppose it's what one's used to. I was very upset when the Madgettes both went off to uni because the house was so quiet. Now I get upset when they come home!
Maybe so but I'd never lived alone until around the turn of the century. I finally decided "sod this!" and I haven't looked back since :)

I think there's a lot of nonsense in the media that gives the impression that if we aren't in other people's bloody pockets every minute of the day that we'll be unhappy and unhealthy and and poorer and die early etc. Solitude is underrated IMO.

Soundcloud stream
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe so but I'd never lived alone until around the turn of the century. I finally decided "sod this!" and I haven't looked back since :)

I think there's a lot of nonsense in the media that gives the impression that if we aren't in other people's bloody pockets every minute of the day that we'll be unhappy and unhealthy and and poorer and die early etc. Solitude is underrated IMO.
I agree with you there. I live a fairly solitary life, though: Mr Madge and I work together, and the office is at home. We live in the arse end of nowhere: if I didn't have the horses, I might easily not see another soul for days on end. I do enjoy my own company (I'm extremely entertaining, of course) but I think a lot also depends on whether you choose to be alone, or have solitude forced upon you.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Being alone doesn't mean being lonely.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I agree. But as a childless by choice woman, society tends to want to feel sorry for me...who will look after you when you get old they say? Ugh! I love my me time and have to have some every day. I would rather be alone and happy then have kids I don't want and be miserable. I'm that person who enjoys traveling on her own, eating by myself in restaurants and being able o do what I want. The boyfriend sometimes gets frustrated when I ask for alone time but he's pretty understanding. People can be very overrated at times :)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM

There are positive aspects of companionship and of solitude...I'm of the opinion that either of the two, when taken to an extreme, would have more negative than positive effect on the individual...

I do agree that solitude, especially in the current cultural atmosphere, is highly underrated.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

It always comes down to choice...

...did you choose your relative social environment?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Guru drums hit the big stage last night in Holland with one of our artists, Matt Cowley (superb drummer, & all round great guy). Maybe a regular thing for the big budget guys, but quite a big deal for us :)
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Guru drums hit the big stage last night in Holland with one of our artists, Matt Cowley (superb drummer, & all round great guy). Maybe a regular thing for the big budget guys, but quite a big deal for us :)
Great stuff Andy!

My random thought. Started a new job a week ago. Loving it so far. Still finishing off the volunteer work I did for the organisation before I started the job. If I never have to make another documentary film, it'll be too soon.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

UPPER CASE letters are so called because, when individual letters had to be placed for old-fashioned news printing, those letters were kept in the upper case.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Congrats, Andy!

I smoked the last of my pack of cigarettes last night before bed, so I got up a little early and swung by the store to pick some up. While I was in line, I looked at the price I was about to pay....thought about that new kit I'm wanting, and walked out. I am giving up cigarettes today. Been smoking them for about 15 or 16 years...no more. :)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Awesome. And I expect this to be the first of many such events for Guru.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Great stuff Andy!

My random thought. Started a new job a week ago. Loving it so far. Still finishing off the volunteer work I did for the organisation before I started the job. If I never have to make another documentary film, it'll be too soon.
thanks Duncan, & good luck with the new job :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickIt View Post
Congrats, Andy!

I smoked the last of my pack of cigarettes last night before bed,
Thanks, & huge congratulations on packing in the evil weed. I've really got to do something about that after 40 years of smoking. Silly b*&^*&rd (me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Awesome. And I expect this to be the first of many such events for Guru.
Thank you, & I hope so too. Matt is a staunch supporter of Guru, & a fantastic player. He'll be featured on our next round of videos :)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

I remember GURU Drums back before....

....what was I sayin'?

...oh, yeah...both ways in snow up to my....
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Congrats, Andy!

I smoked the last of my pack of cigarettes last night before bed, so I got up a little early and swung by the store to pick some up. While I was in line, I looked at the price I was about to pay....thought about that new kit I'm wanting, and walked out. I am giving up cigarettes today. Been smoking them for about 15 or 16 years...no more. :)
Whatever it takes to quit is good! Now that I have had to deal with cancer, I look at people smoking and just cringe. While I never smoked, I'm sure all the secondary smoke did not help my situation.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

I miss having phone books in hotel rooms. The big yellow directories were perfect to place underneath a practice pad.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
I miss having phone books in hotel rooms. The big yellow directories were perfect to place underneath a practice pad.
Bibles are pretty good too :)
Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Renegade

Quote:
How's that going. Stick? Feeling solid?

I'm glad I quit. As a smoker "quit smoking" is something that's always on the To Do list, always hanging over your head. It's one thing out of the way. I still enjoy smoking though, the feeling of of drawing smoke into my lungs, but not the amounts that nicotine forces on you.

Nicotine was used in high dosages to induce spiritual experiences in Native American shamans. It's a long way from sparking up a cig every half hour for the hell of it.

Soundcloud stream
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

There's lots of motivation to quit the cancer sticks,stoges or cowboy killers.

In NYC the're over 10 bucks a pack.That's motivation in and of itself.

The health reasons are another more serious,but more easily dismissed reason.I guess what we can't see,dosen't motivate us in the same manner....but it should.

Not being able to breathe is serious and frightening business.

Quit and stay quit,and do it for the right reason....your life.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 05-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

I was planning to go to the famous local blues bar open mic tonight, to sit on on both drums and harmonica. I've never been, the wife's away so this was going to be the night.

Then I found out that it's a smoking bar, smoking cigarettes is allowed. Now that's off-limits for people with COPD. One of the reviews said "If you don't like cigarettes, you won't like this bar." Damn! What a pity.

Even without COPD, I don't think I could have stood it. And to think that here was a time when I would have thought that was just great, allowing people to smoke in a blues bar. How foolish.

I really was looking forward to playing a little, though. It's just that I can't be around cigarettes, not anymore.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I was planning to go to the famous local blues bar open mic tonight, to sit on on both drums and harmonica. I've never been, the wife's away so this was going to be the night.

Then I found out that it's a smoking bar, smoking cigarettes is allowed. Now that's off-limits for people with COPD. One of the reviews said "If you don't like cigarettes, you won't like this bar." Damn! What a pity.

Even without COPD, I don't think I could have stood it. And to think that here was a time when I would have thought that was just great, allowing people to smoke in a blues bar. How foolish.

I really was looking forward to playing a little, though. It's just that I can't be around cigarettes, not anymore.
My father passed away last year, after decline in his health due to pulomary function. He developed COPD, with a little bit of emphasema and fibrosis of the lungs. He hadn't smoked since he was in his 20s, which was 60 years ago. I avoid cigarette smoke like the plague now.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Polly, I am feeling solid, thanks! I enjoy living in the gray, so I have probably had a total of 10 smokes in the last 6 days. A lot better than 10 packs. BTW, tobacco w/lower nicotine levels than in standard commercial smokes, or something else entirely....or just no response I suppose is okay too :).

Steve, you are right...and right again. I quit because of the costs associated with smoking, and not the risks that it poses to my health. I am, otherwise, a naturally healthy-living person, and you would think that I would have put more stock in my health....but, my mentality has always been a little bit "here-and-now", and "to each, their own".

I am not "pro-smoking", and I'm definitely, definitely not "pro-propagandist-advertising", so I don't mean to sound like I'm championing products that have caused great harm to many wonderful people...I am not. I sympathize with those who have lost, and those who have been hurt by any number of such products. I feel SO much better without that monkey on my back. I can't explain in words how it feels to fight off an addiction. It makes you feel stronger, happier, healthier, the whole nine. Plus, and here's the best part, I can breathe easily...it's almost like a tiny miracle :)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Polly, I am feeling solid, thanks! I enjoy living in the gray, so I have probably had a total of 10 smokes in the last 6 days. A lot better than 10 packs. BTW, tobacco w/lower nicotine levels than in standard commercial smokes, or something else entirely....or just no response I suppose is okay too :).

Steve, you are right...and right again. I quit because of the costs associated with smoking, and not the risks that it poses to my health. I am, otherwise, a naturally healthy-living person, and you would think that I would have put more stock in my health....but, my mentality has always been a little bit "here-and-now", and "to each, their own".

I am not "pro-smoking", and I'm definitely, definitely not "pro-propagandist-advertising", so I don't mean to sound like I'm championing products that have caused great harm to many wonderful people...I am not. I sympathize with those who have lost, and those who have been hurt by any number of such products. I feel SO much better without that monkey on my back. I can't explain in words how it feels to fight off an addiction. It makes you feel stronger, happier, healthier, the whole nine. Plus, and here's the best part, I can breathe easily...it's almost like a tiny miracle :)
Congrats and here's hoping you can stick to it long term. Keep up the good fight!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'm always full of admiration for people who are able to give up something they enjoy.

One of the reasons why I've never smoked is that I don't think I'd have the strength of character to give up.

I'm really glad you are reaping rewards :)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Renegade

Quote:
A good start. Spending a week or more with zero cigs is the next step.

My turning point was going to a health retreat where I could not smoke at all, no caffeinated drinks and no booze for 10 days. I did use (and stiill do) small amounts of nicotine gum. I think that's as good as it gets. No smoking or coffee or tea was huge for me but I got through and felt good at the end.

I'm not sure I can be sane to a level I find acceptable without any nicotine at all. When you are exposed to nicotine every day from the egg onwards I suspect it becomes entwined into the systems of your body and mind as they develop. The few days I've had with zero nicotine - not even gums - I became a despondent irritable weepy paranoid wreck. It was embarrassing. Then I got guilty because despondent irritable weepy paranoid wrecks don't exactly spread around little rays of sunshine and I was treated everyone around me badly.

Gum, coffee and cones (no spin!) and I'm happy. Not perfect but it doesn't matter.

// end Facebook entry :D This morning I had muesli with rice milk and a coffee. Then I surfed a while and had a shower haha. They do that kind of shit on Twitter too, don't they?

Soundcloud stream
Old 05-29-2013, 03:57 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words and support, everyone! I will not be giving updates :):):) Unless I fail miserably....or succeed wonderfully for a year or so....or am eaten by a rabid wolverine.... :)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Putting a new water main up our lane. 3 months of hassle (lane closed) & service interruptions :( Water is off tonight, so the planned beef Madras & wild rice has become pub style curry & chips (fries for the ex colonials) & forced to drink wine. Yea!

Oh, I spent a nice day canoeing 10 miles of the river Wye today with my girls :) As both my son & daughter are moving out in the next month, these are precious days.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Putting a new water main up our lane. 3 months of hassle (lane closed) & service interruptions :( Water is off tonight, so the planned beef Madras & wild rice has become pub style curry & chips (fries for the ex colonials) & forced to drink wine. Yea!

Oh, I spent a nice day canoeing 10 miles of the river Wye today with my girls :) As both my son & daughter are moving out in the next month, these are precious days.
You live in a very beautiful part of the world. We were in your neck of the woods ourselves last Friday, driving down to Caerleon to see Mini-Madge.

Sounds like a pretty damn good day to me, all things considered, although you'd never get me near a canoe.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I think I could only manage about ten yards of the River Wye but only if there was a chip shop after those ten yards...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Wow...I remember when my youngest moved out.The time just goes by soooooo fast,and the silence becomes deafening.

You listen for their voices,but what you actually "hear" are memories.

Who fell down there,who cut their finger here.

Enjoy your vino Andy,and raise a glass to theirs and your accomplishments.

It's a tough job,being a parent,but an even tougher one,being a great parent ....and a dad.

Well done mate...huzza!

Steve B
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Polly, in your post above you referenced "cones"... What's a cone?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Polly, in your post above you referenced "cones"... What's a cone?
I'll crawl out on a limb and say she ain't eating ice creams!! :-)
Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

Bought my assorted hot and sweet pepper plants from the farmer's market last weekend. I hesitated to plant them in my garden because of the low evening temperatures forecast for mid-week. So now they're sitting on my front porch in the little pots they come in, getting just as cold as if they were in my garden.

Why did I wait to plant them again?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Oh, I see... "Going out on a limb". Obviously this refers to some kind of Koala-related activity. You Australians and your secret code language are really starting to get on my nerves. Just the other day I had to punch yet another Aussie that I thought I was getting along with! Told me he wanted to be my mate, right in front of our friends!

Now I need a cone. I hear your cones twist the opposite way down there!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Happy wedding anniversary to me and Mr Madge, whom I made the happiest man in the world 25 years ago, and who has made me the happiest woman in the world since then. Awww!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Happy wedding anniversary to me and Mr Madge, whom I made the happiest man in the world 25 years ago, and who has made me the happiest woman in the world since then. Awww!
Awww! Well done. Sitting in Frankfurt main, eating some ham that tastes like cheese. Can't wait to see the McLaughlin gig at Howard's theatre bk in. Dc on the 16th
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Told me he wanted to be my mate, right in front of our friends!
Chortle!

Quote:
Nice - it was my 25th only two weeks ago. Not many of us survive such a trial from our generation :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Awww! Well done. Sitting in Frankfurt main, eating some ham that tastes like cheese.
Main - cheesy ham - women with power suit jackets - all part of the deal eh Abe ;)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Watso's lead a sheltered life ;)

Quote:
Obviously this refers to some kind of Koala-related activity.
Similar ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psq_DkBHY60

Congrats to the 25 Years Club! I can't imagine what it's been like, one way or another.

Soundcloud stream