DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Pearl D-2500 BR, Big dissapointment

Hey everyone!

I have recently experienced a problem with the D-2500BR drum stool. The first two months of use were flawless, the stool was comfortable and stable. Unfortunately after a two month period the main center part or (for the lack of a better term) the spine let go and threw me off stage...
I looked the problem up on the internet and found out i'm not the only one having this problem. By inspecting the issue closer i found out that none of the parts was damaged, the bolt keeping the center part up is just getting more and more loose until it just falls down along with the unfortunate player. I could solve the problem temporarily by pushing the center part back in and tightening the bolt as tight as i can so it can no longer rotate and voilla! i could play for another 5-10 hours until it gets loose again and results the same "bye bye drummer" situation again. Here's my biggest dissapointment, i bought my stool from a german store called thomann as i live in europe, the store proposed the standard claim procedure so: send the stool back-we will repair it and send it back to you, and so on. I actually dont blame them, its a standard store procedure so no problem with that. The problem is that upon contacting the european pearl drums division and telling them that their best stool has a design error i and that no amount of "repair" can fix a problem of this nature i was being put down with the same line of "solve your claim through the store" over and over again. So to summarise the situation: i bought the most expensive drum stool there is, and am facing one of those situations:
1. I wont send it to the store, and be thrown out of the stage once in a while during gigs, maybe brake my spine or something.
2. I will send it to the store, and they will repair it (read: thighten the main bolt) and send it back to me, the problem will reoccur because of bad design and i will send it again to get a refund so i can buy me another stool (in the meantime of all the sending back and forth i will play "stand up" gigs or maybe sit on a beer crate...)
It's a shame that pearl drums, a company regarded as one of the best drum-producers in the world treats their customers like this
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl D-2500 BR, Big dissapointment

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Assuming that this throne does have a construction flaw so what you're describing is a very likely phenomenon, I'd do the following:

3. Send it back to the store, have it repaired/swapped, get it back and then... sell it. And buy something else.
Of course you'd still need some throne for drumming in the meantime.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Assuming that this throne does have a construction flaw so what you're describing is a very likely phenomenon, I'd do the following:

3. Send it back to the store, have it repaired/swapped, get it back and then... sell it. And buy something else.
Of course you'd still need some throne for drumming in the meantime.
Fortunately my warranty is not yet void, so if after they resend the repaired stool the problem will resurface, i will get my money back from the store. This does not however solve the problem you noticed - what to use in the meantime...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

How about a thread-locking product on the bolt, like LockTite...
DW, Gilbrator
Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Did you contact Pearl directly? They, and your retailer, are the ones who can help you. Sounds like you ordered the product, so yeah, you may be without a throne for a while.

If it was me, I'd use loc-tite and/or a lock washer and call it good.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Did you contact Pearl directly? They, and your retailer, are the ones who can help you. Sounds like you ordered the product, so yeah, you may be without a throne for a while.

If it was me, I'd use loc-tite and/or a lock washer and call it good.
I did contact them, the guy they connected me to basically ignored my remark about the design and rambled about solving the claim through the store on and on...
When it comes to lock lite or similar products it would do the job but then i would loose the functionality of a rotating throne....
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

That sucks. If Pearl can't or won't do anything to help, I'd would try to get an exchange from the dealer. There are too many good thrones out there to be stuck with something that doesn't work for you.

Bad designs don't last long in the market for the most part. Either you have a fluke and Pearl hasn't had enough complaints to warrant changes, or word will get around and the product simply won't sell.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give you a brier follow up.
I gave the throne back to thomann, they sent it to me all fixed up after a week or so.
After a few sessions of playing the throne collapsed again. Pearl has since then deleted my thread on their own forums, i invested my private time to let them know that their product has a design flaw (i not only let them know on their forums, i called their hq in europe) and gave them a chance to be fair to their customers and do something about it. Instead they chose to ignore me, send me back to their retailers to repair something which won't work with any amount of repair. Pearl.... seriously..... not cool...
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarthos View Post
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give you a brier follow up.
I gave the throne back to thomann, they sent it to me all fixed up after a week or so.
After a few sessions of playing the throne collapsed again. Pearl has since then deleted my thread on their own forums, i invested my private time to let them know that their product has a design flaw (i not only let them know on their forums, i called their hq in europe) and gave them a chance to be fair to their customers and do something about it. Instead they chose to ignore me, send me back to their retailers to repair something which won't work with any amount of repair. Pearl.... seriously..... not cool...

Can you post any pics?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 AM

If you can return it and get your money back, do it and buy something else, even if it's a cheap one that's solid to get you by while you find a better high end replacement. You'll at least have an emergency back up then.

If you are stuck with this throne either sell it or find some way to modify it. I'd hate to say use a thread locker on it, because you won't be able to collapse the legs for transport, but it is an option, especially if you don't collapse the legs to transport it. Maybe find a way to drill through the post so that the bolt acts as a set pin as well, if the design allows. (I can't see exactly how it's made.)
Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 AM

Here are the photos, a little blurry but you will get the idea.

" I'd hate to say use a thread locker on it, because you won't be able to collapse the legs for transport, but it is an option"

I would be able to collapse the legs because the screw that's responsible for that is in the bottom of the throne. The one that's causing the problem is the upper one, if i would use a thread locker i wouldn't be able to rotate the throne which i need to move through my kit with ease. I do want my money back, and i made that clear both to the store and to pearl the first time i had the problem as also the second time... What bothers me the most is the hilarious lack of communication between pearl europe and in the states. With pearl US telling me that the european department wants to help me, and pearl europe replying to me in a manner like: "i don't care our flag ship throne is badly designed, send the throne back to the store and let them reapair it just so you can collapse on the stage and send it back in a month or so...".
Attached Images

Last edited by zarthos; 02-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

If it's the same base as my Pearl Roadpro, there's allen head screws in two spots correct?
If you sit real high, and the spindle is out quite a bit, it could put strain on the parts held together by the 2 small screws (they probably epoxy it a bit too).
If you don't sit real high, it's a defect in manufacture (obviously, if other people have the same issue).

IF you don't get your money back, I'd use some 2 ton metal epoxy on the sleeve/tube and the cast piece that holds the threaded spine, & tighten them up with some new stainless steel screws.
Just clean (alcohol, or similar) and roughen up the inside and the part of the tube that the piece goes on, apply some quality epoxy, put them together, tighten the screws, and let it set until cured. Pretty easy fix, & it should hold forever after that. A drag you'd need to do it, but if things fall through at least it's a fix.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM

"I'd use some 2 ton metal epoxy on the sleeve/tube and the cast piece that holds the threaded spine, & tighten them up with some new stainless steel screws.
Just clean (alcohol, or similar) and roughen up the inside and the part of the tube that the piece goes on, apply some quality epoxy, put them together, tighten the screws, and let it set until cured. Pretty easy fix, & it should hold forever after that. A drag you'd need to do it, but if things fall through at least it's a fix."

From your description i conclude that i would be unable to rotate the throne once i'd do it.
If my conclusion is correct then that goes out of the question. I can change my preferences as to how high i sit in the future. I also have a big kit and i have to bend myself unnaturally when the throne doesn't rotate with my body (motorcycle seat). Once the warranty would be void i probably would settle for that kind of a remedy, but i paid some big bucks for that throne and i expect it to perform without me tinkering with it. In addition my last throne bought for exactly one thenth of the price of the one mentioned in the topic served me for 10 years straight.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM

If I understand the issue it's the top portion that is loosening up? If that is the case is there any chance of taking the threaded center rod and seat mounting bracket of say a Roc-N-Soc or some other similar throne and replacing the center rod on your Pearl D-2500?

Most of the center threaded rods are the same diameter and thread type/count, (for example a Gibraltar and Roc-N-Soc use the same center rod). You would have to attached the Roc-N-Soc or Gibraltar seat bracket to the bottom of your Pearl seat so it would be compatible with the rod you are using but other than that it should work. Gilbraltar has a spare parts section on their website that can be found here:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/pdf...rParts2010.pdf

Yeah, it sucks that you would have to go through this to get a flawed design corrected but it would be better than not getting any use out of the throne. Hope you find a solution.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

The tube is detached from the big cast piece that tightens the spindle post correct?
That's what it looks like from the pic (which is a little dark).

The epoxy would go on the outside of the TUBE, and the inside of the big cast piece that slips onto the tube. The spindle would not be affected.

IF all other avenues fail, like a replacement seat, it's an option that should work. However, there should be at least a 1 year warrantee on this seat. The store should see to it that you get a replacement under warrantee.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Honestly, I would try to get the store to replace it. If its still under warranty, you more than likely do not want to put epoxy on it because doing that would void the warranty(I have had warranties voided for stupider reasons(under guise of physical damage--Since then I have learned to go OCD on computer accessories and their cords). If the warranty is up then you have a couple of choices--either attempt a fix or sell it.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:49 PM

I'm a little disappointed to see Pearl hasn't stepped up to the plate for you. If the US Pearl is saying the Euro Pearl wants to help you they should be putting you in contact with whomever it is they are saying wants to help.

You should not have to come up with a backyard mechanic fix for a new product......... I have played Pearl gear for years with no issues but do not like the way they are treating you on this issue....... Terry

.......Bermuda.......
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

If it's the same base as my Pearl Roadpro, there's allen head screws in two spots correct?

PEARL uses set screws, albeit small sometimes.

Epoxies don't do well on chrome plating, super glue works better, but me myself and I wouldn't rely on any adhesive, find and tighten the set screws.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

PEARL uses set screws, albeit small sometimes.

Epoxies don't do well on chrome plating, super glue works better, but me myself and I wouldn't rely on any adhesive, find and tighten the set screws.
SET screws is correct. Sorry for any confusion. There are two of them on that large piece that clamps the threaded center post.

When I have epoxied parts together in modifying hardware, I've used a dremel to roughen up the spots, and used 2 ton metal epoxy.
The suggestion was a LAST RESORT, not a "what you should do is"...

I'd still see about getting a replacement out of the shop. There is a warrantee period after all, and they are supposed to honor it. They'd get an RA number from Pearl, and a new seat sent to them, so what's all the trouble anyway?
if the shop can't do that, then they aren't a very reliable source for gear.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStickman View Post
I'm a little disappointed to see Pearl hasn't stepped up to the plate for you. If the US Pearl is saying the Euro Pearl wants to help you they should be putting you in contact with whomever it is they are saying wants to help.

You should not have to come up with a backyard mechanic fix for a new product......... I have played Pearl gear for years with no issues but do not like the way they are treating you on this issue....... Terry
I have written about it a lot the first time i got the same problem with the throne so it feels like i'm repeating myself but what the heck.... I have used a pearl eliminator 2002c for about 11 years, broke once during warranty period and got replaced quickly and without any problems and then twice where i made the repairs myself. I was a happy pearl gear user and would never say anything negative about them before buying the damn throne...
I'm still having high hopes for the future meaning that the store will give me my money back after requesting it twice from them (plus one "i told you so"). I would gladly buy another throne for 1/9th of the price that will last another 10 years like the last cheap one i bought and use the rest of the cash to buy me some new cymbals or whatever...
Old 03-04-2014, 03:46 AM

These things are junk.

I have had one for about a year and half and it did collapse on me once. I fixed it by cranking the tiny allen bolt back in. How do they expect these things to last? A tiny allen bolt holding the whole thing together? Junk!

If that weren't bad enough, the metal plate that holds the backrest in place warped pretty quickly and now it is useless. I bent it back but it just will not stay tight, so I had to ditch the backrest. At least the seat gives lots of support...but I didn't get what I paid for. POS!

Pearl ain't getting any more of my money....I don't care how good their drums might be. Too many problems with their hardware and too many other good companies out there.

Rant concluded.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 AM

Another follow up.
I got my money back.
Thank you Pearl for handling the case properly this time.