DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

I finally got my hands on a copy of this(it's out of print so I had to go with a less than dignified approach :(). It's amazing! I never get tired of listening to these guys. Just hearing the different approaches to the same song between two nights is enlightening enough. Highly recommended.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Ref the Plugged Nickel sets...I was there on Friday night and it remains one of the best live
performances I have had the pleasure to take in.

I don't know where to post this so Brady, if you happen to read this I have attempted 4 times
to reply to your pm but they evaporate....I have no idea why I can't reply, much to say.
I will continue trying.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Ref the Plugged Nickel sets...I was there on Friday night and it remains one of the best live
performances I have had the pleasure to take in.

I don't know where to post this so Brady, if you happen to read this I have attempted 4 times
to reply to your pm but they evaporate....I have no idea why I can't reply, much to say.
I will continue trying.
Yeah, that shutdown really screwed things up for a while. I couldn't see any threads last night. I actually had to engage in a conversation with my wife. :-)

I got the PM's though. Thanks for sharing so much.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Been busy, busy and haven't checked in with you cats lately, however tonight I found this amazing video of the "Now he sings..." sessions and it is mind blowing! Forgive if it's been posted before but it's simply amazing....

cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29WR8prMC7M
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Now he sings.....bought it in 69' and it has been a favorite over the many years....love playing along with it. Never saw this video before...nice!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I love some of the old jazz album covers! Especially Jim Flora:

Came across this tonight ... the groove and vibe are killer ... this one's for you, Larry 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxwAvS3mUi8
Nice, Grea.

Part of the rich history of the incredible Blue Note label (which, if you're not familiar with it, you should check out here and here) is their album cover art, designed by the great Reid Miles.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosafari View Post

I finally got my hands on a copy of this(it's out of print so I had to go with a less than dignified approach :(). It's amazing! I never get tired of listening to these guys. Just hearing the different approaches to the same song between two nights is enlightening enough. Highly recommended.
Did I tell ya, or did I tell ya??

It's a work of art. Incredible stuff.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Anthony Amodeo

spinning this right now

just a phenomenal record ...... phenomenal !!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Gold Member

My teacher passed me the Nickel sessions last week, actually he gave me his expansive hard drive and told me to go to town with it so I went a little bit overboard jaja. I still haven't listened to them, Branford Marsali's Braggtown caught me offguard and I haven't been able to stop listening to it, especially the beautiful ballad Hope. Anyways this week I'll definitely sink my teeth (ears?) into the Nickel sessions, can't wait!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

I stumbled across something online, a master graduate thesis about Elvin Jone's playing style. It's basically a very in depth analysis, discussing his time feel, ride pattern and approaches, complete with transcriptions, comparisons with other drummers, discography, history and the whole nine yards. I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to post something like this...anyone interested feel free to send me a private message.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Bill Cosby once aspired to be a jazz drummer....check this out....Sonny Stitt, Max Roach,
Bill Cosby and Cherokee (up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zn-P0ZH3_M
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Has this been put up here? Straight No Chaser? Monk, Nellie, and lots of scenes that'll make you emotional. Great music, by the greatest jazz musician/composer then, now and forever.

Listen to that band, his quartet. There are moments when it sounds like they're playing free jazz. And Ben Riley, he needs to be checked out more.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Has this been put up here? Straight No Chaser? Monk, Nellie, and lots of scenes that'll make you emotional. Great music, by the greatest jazz musician/composer then, now and forever.

Listen to that band, his quartet. There are moments when it sounds like they're playing free jazz. And Ben Riley, he needs to be checked out more.

Ben Riley is absolutely one of my favorite drummers of all time
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
Same here. He knew Monk's music almost as well as Monk did.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
Absolutely!

I was only casually aware of him until I saw him on the Art of Playing Brushes DVD. I've since checked out quite a bit of his catalog.

A seriously underrated drummer.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Absolutely!

I was only casually aware of him until I saw him on the Art of Playing Brushes DVD. I've since checked out quite a bit of his catalog.

A seriously underrated drummer.
he was the first jazz drummer that I heard myself in ....if that makes any sense to you

we have these natural tendencies and ways of comping and phrasing things that turn up in our playing from either tunes we have heard or things we practiced endlessly or maybe just the way we feel the music .......and when I hear Ben Riley I hear my tendencies all over his playing .
it was so reassuring to hear because I frequently war with my tendencies and try to break them ......Bens playing convinced me to embrace them and perfect them

it was such a warm feeling when I realized it and from that very second on I held a special spot in my heart for that mans playing
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Anthony Amodeo

I thought this was pretty cool and figured you guys would dig

Clark Terrys phone book from the 1960s....check out some of those names

Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 AM

I have a general jazz drumming question.

I never learned to feather the bass drum as I played. I play a ton of rhythms in my foot so (a la Elvin Jones) mainly because I never learned this method. As of recently, I have been practicing a little bit and playing 4 on the floor when I am not adding other rhythms in the right foot. I was just wondering what your opinion was on this technique - does it actually do anything (sorry if that sounds incredibly ignorant, but I really don't know).

Thanks,
Leo
Old 04-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoyucht View Post

I never learned to feather the bass drum as I played. I play a ton of rhythms in my foot so (a la Elvin Jones) mainly because I never learned this method. As of recently, I have been practicing a little bit and playing 4 on the floor when I am not adding other rhythms in the right foot. I was just wondering what your opinion was on this technique - does it actually do anything (sorry if that sounds incredibly ignorant, but I really don't know).

Thanks,
Leo
its original purpose was to back up the bass player and add some percussive attack to the walking quarter note before proper amplification when playing with big bands and sort of became tradition

it is still taught as the proper way to learn jazz drumming before branching off into more contemporary approaches

it became less necessary in the bebop and post bop era but a lot of those guys still feathered ....and still today if you watch guys like John Riley and Jeff Hamilton you will see them feathering

it is really meant to be felt and not heard.....it does give the music a real hard swing when played properly

I find myself feathering on certain tunes out of habit.....on certain tunes and tempos it just feels appropriate and really helps drive the music

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 04-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoyucht View Post

Thanks,
Leo
I like keeping a soft pulse going on the bass drum, just like you say you've been doing it. Do it, and make it your own.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Being as this is a jazz related thing, I wanted to announce that yesterday my dad Tom Smith was inducted into the Down Beat Jazz Education Hall of Fame as the only inductee for 2013. Pretty cool.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Being as this is a jazz related thing, I wanted to announce that yesterday my dad Tom Smith was inducted into the Down Beat Jazz Education Hall of Fame as the only inductee for 2013. Pretty cool.
send a heartfelt congrats to your dad from me Matt
that is a tremendous honor and a well deserved addition to his already full bloom resume
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Leo,

Many players feather - Kenny Washington, Lewis Nash, Eric Harland, Adam Nussbaum...Check of Tony Williams playing Dolores with headphones on, then take one ear off. What do you hear?

There are two issues in mastering feathering: playing it softly and playing it in time. You've got to feel the connection between your right hand and your right foot. To make this connection vivid, and to master feathering, I suggest not worrying about feathering softly at first. Play the bd loud and focus on syncing up your rh and bd. Once you've gained some control it will be easier to reduce the volume of the bd.

When feathering becomes second nature you will find that your groove will feel deeper and fatter. The people you play may not notice when you are feathering but they will certainly notice when you stop feathering.

Hope this helps,

John
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riley View Post
Hi Leo,

Many players feather - Kenny Washington, Lewis Nash, Eric Harland, Adam Nussbaum...Check of Tony Williams playing Dolores with headphones on, then take one ear off. What do you hear?

There are two issues in mastering feathering: playing it softly and playing it in time. You've got to feel the connection between your right hand and your right foot. To make this connection vivid, and to master feathering, I suggest not worrying about feathering softly at first. Play the bd loud and focus on syncing up your rh and bd. Once you've gained some control it will be easier to reduce the volume of the bd.

When feathering becomes second nature you will find that your groove will feel deeper and fatter. The people you play may not notice when you are feathering but they will certainly notice when you stop feathering.

Hope this helps,

John
Thanks so much John. I will get on that. Also, I don't know if you remember me, but I auditioned at MSM and Purchase this year. It was an honor meeting you and I look forward to collaborating with you in the future.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Great stuff, Matt. Well deserved, given how long he has been spreading the message in Europe.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Gold Member

I never really got how important feathering was till I saw a group live, the bass player was having trouble with the mikes and you could barely hear him, fortunately the drummer was feathering and it really beefed up the low end and made the band sound more whole.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Anon La Ply
This message has been deleted by Anon La Ply.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Leo,

Yes I remember, you also sat in on a class at Purchase.

To continue the discussion: who's the drummer's closest associate in the rhythm section? The bass player. How does a bass sound? Low and woody.

What part of the drum set plays most intimately with the bass? The ride cymbal. How does a ride cymbal sound? High and metallic.

Feathering the bass drum helps the groove because it helps your metallic sound marry with the bass' low woody sound.

All great players feather when appropriate.

John
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riley View Post
Hi Leo,

Yes I remember, you also sat in on a class at Purchase.

To continue the discussion: who's the drummer's closest associate in the rhythm section? The bass player. How does a bass sound? Low and woody.

What part of the drum set plays most intimately with the bass? The ride cymbal. How does a ride cymbal sound? High and metallic.

Feathering the bass drum helps the groove because it helps your metallic sound marry with the bass' low woody sound.

All great players feather when appropriate.

John
thank you so much for sharing knowledge John ....it is an honor

your books have changed my life.... literally.... every one of them ....and continue to change it

always wanted to thank you for that
Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Congratulations to your dad, Matt! That's quite an honor.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Regarding feathering: I do it. And, to be honest, I think it gives me an edge over some other drummers when playing with jazz musicians. I've had musicians comment on how good my "feel" is when I'm just straight riding the cymbal. I've come to believe that the supporting feathering I'm doing on the bass drum is a big part of what they like, even if they don't explicitly state that it has to do with the feathering.

It fits in with the "more felt than heard" thing, too. You like it, even if you're not sure you can describe exactly why.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Hopefully, this is doable because its my dad's Jazz Education Hall of Fame induction article in the June issue of DownBeat, just out today.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Very cool, Matt. That's a great honor, and one your dad is certainly deserving of.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

So, the album I'm knee-deep in lately and can't (nor want to) get out of:

This is just pure improvisational beauty. I can't get enough of this. It's like a thirst that can only be quenched by one drink -- this album. Sax and drums. Of all of Coltrane's recordings from his "free" period, this and Ascension are my favorites.

Elvin is by far the bigger influence in my own playing, but what Rashied Ali did with Trane is quite brilliant.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

This is just pure improvisational beauty. I can't get enough of this. It's like a thirst that can only be quenched by one drink -- this album. Sax and drums. Of all of Coltrane's recordings from his "free" period, this and Ascension are my favorites.

Elvin is by far the bigger influence in my own playing, but what Rashied Ali did with Trane is quite brilliant.
I had never heard this before. Listening to it reminds me of drinking an entire pot of coffee in a short period of time. I'm captivated.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosafari View Post
I had never heard this before. Listening to it reminds me of drinking an entire pot of coffee in a short period of time. I'm captivated.
The more I listen to this, the more I agree with you. It's unbelievable how much of an influence this thread alone has had on what jazz I listen to.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

That's great to hear, man! I've picked up on a lot of great stuff here myself. It's a great resource.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Hi guys! check this out!
Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4WOMBL9vs

Subscribe to my youtube channel!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick82 View Post
Hi guys! check this out!
Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4WOMBL9vs

Subscribe to my youtube channel!
superb !............seriously
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Chick, that is outstanding. Great work, man!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

I spent twenty minutes the other day trying to describe 'Interstellar Space' to a friend of mine that had never heard it. I realised the only value in trying to describe it comes from the urge to listen to it. Wonderful. One of my all-time favourites.