DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Gibraltar rack woes

I acquired a Gibraltar drum rack a few years ago. I don't get to use it all that often - I usually play small gigs where there's a shared kit. So when I get the rack out I've usually forgotten all the gotchas for setting it up.

I have a serious problem with stability. The horizontal bar is curved, and so has to be not just at equal height either end, but also completely horizontal, otherwise the legs start bowing and the whole thing threatens to topple. This is easier said than done when, like last night, I did a show and had no assistance to get it right. So I was wondering if anyone here had a "system" for assembling these beasts? (Jeez would it have been great if the rack had come with setup instructions).

Unhelpfully, I can't provide a model number. But the clamp bits are black and the rack is chrome, if that's of any use.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Gibraltar rack woes

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with that specific rack but just wanted to suggest to use the search function. You might find some useful info on Gibraltar racks.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have the smaller Stealth rack from Gibraltar which has a straight section so I'm not exactly familiar with dealing with a curved piece.

Gibraltar's website might have the info you are looking for too.

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=racks

Maybe a specific rack clamp might work for you. If not, perhaps you could put tape or Sharpie mark or something on the rack and horizontal bar once you get everything level. Then when you set up the rack all you have to do is make sure the marks line up and you should be level.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator

I would suggest measuring and getting memory locks.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM

+10 on the memory locks. It is the only way to go.

I also remove the wingnuts on everything that doesn't absolutely need to break down, and replace them with nylock nuts. That way the only things that are easy to unscrew are the ones you want to unscrew in order to strike the kit, and everything else keeps its alignment.

I strongly dislike curved tubes for this reason. But I do use one short curved tube in my rack to get clearance for my small rack toms. It'd never work without the locks.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

I have a Gibraltar rack with the curved front bar & two short curved side bars. I can tell when the front one is horizontal by the angle of the two vertical bars. If the middle of the front curved bar is lower than the ends, the side bars will be angled inward, like this: / \ If the middle of the front curved bar is higher than the ends, it makes the opposite angle on the vertical posts: \ / I just adjust mine (not with a level, just eyeballing it) until the vertical posts appear, well, vertical, and parallel: | |
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Make sure the black clamps on both straight side posts are even. Then attach the center (curve) piece. I sometimes would not tighten down the clamps and push down a bit on the cross bar until level then tighten. Keep at it, you will get it down.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

I used to use a curved bar a while back and had no problems. Memory locks are a must. Tighten your clamps just a little (enough so you can make micro-adjustments but not so loose as to have it fall apart) while getting that horizontal bar just right where all the feet are making good contact with the floor. Then when it's good, tighten those clamps and memory locks in place. Adjust as necessary.

Start adding your drums and cymbal arms. For drums I also recommend using memory locks to prevent slipping. Just keep in mind how many toms you plan to have on each bar and put enough memory locks on the bars in advance (unless you have the hinged ones).
Old 05-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Back when I used a rack, I kept a level in my case to make sure it was level before hanging the gear on it. Definitely use your memory clamps and make sure all connections are tightened before you put one drum or cymbal on it. Do be aware of overtightening, though -- it is possible to strip out the clamp bolts and even to break the clamps or pipes.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM

The guys from Gibraltar sent me a link to a video which helps a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdYt48xyF94