DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Bass Hoop Clamping Spurs - Advantage?

Hi guys. So I'm considering purchasing spurs that clamp on to the kick drum- specifically, the reasonably priced DW ones. Apparently they have some soft lining on the clamp so I shouldn't have to worry about hoop scuffing. Are the benefits worth it? (I don't have holes in the shell already, and the alternative would be fairly low-mass drilled spurs anyways- but I want to know if the apparent annoyance of position the clamp ones is worth it.)

Last edited by porter; 05-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass Hoop Clamping Spurs - Advantage?

I've been using very old-fashioned 'short' spurs of this type on my 1950s John Grey bass drum. Those work quite well and the DW version here is miles ahead of that.

It's certainly easier than drilling. I don't see any downside. You can even adjust the angle by dropping the spurs further down on the hoop.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Do you have a virgin bass drum? If so, you may be able to get by without any spurs of any kind. I don't have any. As long as there's nothing mounted on your bass drum, there's no weight to destabilize it.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I've been using very old-fashioned 'short' spurs of this type on my 1950s John Grey bass drum. Those work quite well and the DW version here is miles ahead of that.

It's certainly easier than drilling. I don't see any downside. You can even adjust the angle by dropping the spurs further down on the hoop.
I mainly started the thread because I read a different site's thread consisting of people complaining about having to take the spurs off. I have no idea why they would, but wanted to make sure. With memory locks for the spurs it wouldn't even be difficult to put in a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Do you have a virgin bass drum? If so, you may be able to get by without any spurs of any kind. I don't have any. As long as there's nothing mounted on your bass drum, there's no weight to destabilize it.
That's a good point. it would work even better with the kick I'm likely getting since that is a 20" and has 8 hoop-mounted claw lugs. Maybe I could just pick up one of the Gibraltar things that clamp to the bottom of the front hoop as well and adjust it so that the hoop claw lugs and mini-spurs all contact the ground... interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, we'll call it "pretty certain". I'm still surprised that a DW product like this is so inexpensive. Thanks dudes!