DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-25-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Marco Minnemann

i just watched his dvd with a friend and i am speechless, he has everything that has to do with drumming, well, mastered.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Didn't want to start a new thread but I wanted to read through and see what everyone has said about Marco.

He is hands down my favourite drummer. His groove, independence, and chops have a very unique feel to them.

He has a new DVD out now, called "The Marco Show" I ordered an autographed copy off of his website, I can't wait to get it!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Forum Pro

Default late answer, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post
I'm sure it has more to do with distribution and marketing than anything else.
Yeah, you're right. The main thing of his change was, that Marco wanted to get more possibilities in the US. He thougt Zildjian could more offer over there than Meinl. Had nothing really to do with the "sound".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble View Post
Marco kills Donati. Marco kills Lang.
But Donati's technique is some steps higher. The benefits of Marco are timing and tightness, especially on his DVD "Extreme Drumming". I think the musicality in Marco's drumming arised first the last years, and is still developing. Even 4-5 years ago, it was not interesting for me in this direction.

Btw. as far as I know Marco and Virgil share a rehearsal room in LA.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM

marco is an really awesome drummer....i bought his dvd "extreme drumming", too and after i watched it, i was down^^ he's incredible fast and very "interdependent"^^
Old 01-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Womble

Hmmm, I'm confused. In early 2004 I saw Marco do a clinic in LA and it blew me away, not just for the undeniable speed and independence, but because his 15-minute solo made a whole lot of musical sense. He worked through a number of modern styles like house and drum n' bass, and utilised his immense technique to play a whole series of awesome grooves that sounded like 3 guys grooving hard together. It made me want to dance, and at the end I leapt off my feet to give a standing ovation, something I do extremely rarely. When I got back to the UK and discovered Drummerworld I checked out the Marco clips here and was disappointed: I couldn't hear any of the magic that I remembered from that evening. And now with these latest clips, I'm disappointed further: no satisfying grooves, nothing that seems to mean anything. Marco's playing like so many of these other chops monsters these days - seemingly hitting drums in whichever way takes his fancy irrespective of whether it sounds good, playing fast doubles between hands and feet on different surfaces for no real purpose...

I look forward with nervous anticipation of this supposedly great and musical performance of Lang with Louis Conte that's coming our way soon. Please, please let it be true. Someone with these immense chops needs to show the others the right direction to take them in.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 AM

I just started my first lesson with Marco today. A very DOWN TO EARTH GUY- nice guy all around. He is amazing.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I remember Zeldman doing this crazy independence stuff back in '89. He is truly an unsung giant of a drummer. Whatever happened to him? I'd heard some pretty bad things.

I'd love to see him playing alongside Marco now. That would be SCARY!!!
Hi i am new to this site . I can say that Mr Zeldman is alive and kicking big time in London village U.K.
I have been studying with him for almost a year . The guy is phenomenal , his interdependence is in no way inferior to the above mentioned masters , his groove is HUGE should he be in funk mode . The stuff he has demonstrated in the practice room to me has not been witnessed by many , that you tube clip just does not do his playing any justice at all . I have to say the playing of Lang etc is awesome on one level but leaves me cold on another , Pete Zeldman however imbibes his playing with a massive dose of spirit , some thing undefinable . certainly not cold . I spent a long time considering my next teacher and he won . any way this whole argument about who is best or fastest is rubbish , what has that got to do with music and emotion...
Old 12-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Ohhh is Zeldman taking in new pupils in london? Cause I'm in need of a new teacher at the moment.

Have any of you listened to Illogicist's new album 'The insight eye'? It has Marco on drums, it's a nice slice of technical death metal. Marco doesn't go completely crazy at any point though, but he does play very well throughout the whole album.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 AM

My favorite of the "technical" drummers, (Lang,Donati,Mangini) his drumming seems to fit his personality, very eccentric and fun. I've seen some of his extreme drumming dvd. Seems pretty cool, I enjoy instructional videos that encourage you to be creative, try new things. Rather than the average improve your speed, improve your technique fare. I really like him, hope to see more cool stuff from him in the future.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM

So I'm watching this TV show about Miles Copeland putting together a Police cover band to tour and he's auditioning all these drummers who are average semi pro's at best and then this "guy from Germany" shows up and it's Marco and of course he absolutely blows everyone away and gets the gig...he is so obviously in another league altogether. So Miles books them in this 1000 seat hall for their first gig and like 70 people show up. I just couldn't comprehend why Marco was pursuing this gig..........it was so obviously a step down for him.

Anyone else see that..........?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
i just recently got into marco's playing, through his work with paul gilbert....the dude is amazing....can't be a slouch when you are playing with dudes the calibre of mr.gilbert..........
Agreed. Gilbert's "Burning Organ" is a fantastic record. Marco really shines in certain spots, and while we all know what he can do, he chooses to hold back and play for the song on most occasions. These are accessible pop/rock tunes with enough notes for the shredders to enjoy.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 AM

If you like metal, like I do and if you like Marco Minnemann, like I do then you will Love Necrophagist, like I do. Marco Minnemann's drumming is so amazing its almost inhuman how he plays a lot of his beats have odd time signatures but he makes it sound like a 10 year old can do it.AMAZING. So basically start listening to Necrophagist.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So I'm watching this TV show about Miles Copeland putting together a Police cover band to tour and he's auditioning all these drummers who are average semi pro's at best and then this "guy from Germany" shows up and it's Marco and of course he absolutely blows everyone away and gets the gig...he is so obviously in another league altogether. So Miles books them in this 1000 seat hall for their first gig and like 70 people show up. I just couldn't comprehend why Marco was pursuing this gig..........it was so obviously a step down for him.

Anyone else see that..........?
I didn't believe this at first, but he's on their website and everything. So is Taylor Hawkins. I don't get it. It really does seem like a step down.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:29 AM

I just got home from the Marco Minneman / Johnny Rabb clinic here in Winnipeg and have a few words to say about.

1. The clinic was hilarious, a ton of laughter from the audience, a lot of it from the hilarious samples Marco and Johnny were using, not to mention the Life of Brian video segment that Marco was drumming along to.

2. The dynamics that these 2 gentleman displayed was outstanding

3. I have seen a fair share of drum clinics, but this was the first one I have attended where my jaw was locked in the open position, with drool puddles forming on my shirt.

Amazing presentation from these 2 guys and my brain is still trying to interpret the display of drumming I have just witnessed.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Over a year with no Marco posts? Not cool.

I am loving the Paul Gilbert CD "Space Ship One". Marco is SLAMMING on that one. Now it's obvious I must go buy "Burning Organ" too. But I just did an Amazon.com order... what to do... what to do...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm thinking that Marco Minnemann needs a lot more attention.

I just attended a drum clinic put on by Marco in Duluth, GA on March 4th, and I could not believe what I saw. I don't know why he's not more well known (heck, even I hadn't heard about him that much), but he is very much a world-class drummer, no question.

Since there hasn't been much action in this thread, I thought Marco should be given his due. I wrote an article detailing the clinic that Marco put on. I think you'll enjoy the details, and make sure you don't miss him in case he comes near you either via a band or a clinic.

Drum Clinic - Marco Minnemann

Marco is now on my short list of favorite drummers, and he's a great guy to boot!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM

I had never really heard about him before the dream theater audition videos, he seemed super nice and relaxed in them, not to mention crazy good (as evidenced by the various youtube videos of him I found later on), very cool!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

I found a copy of "THE MARCO SHOW" on evilBay for cheap and bought it.

I'm so glad I did.

That's not a DVD. It's an experience!

I saw Marco in clinic maybe 10 years ago in some music shop in southern Indiana. I was amazed by his chops, but thought his musicality was a little wanting.

No more. He's not a smooth jazz dude by any means, but he's murdering the technical stuff with ease and he's (IMO) far more musical than he was a decade ago.

Simply an amazing musician. Think of where he'll be in another 10 years!

I only wish I could have caught him with Adrian Belew's band last year. Too scary a thought!

Now I only have to buy a ticket to see him with Bryan Beller and Guthrie Govan in Chicago in October!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM

hey guys..check out this solo of Marco... what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLnu4uC23og
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 AM

I like Marco Minneman. Listening to his music is like listening to a drum machine at a high rate of speed. I do prefer Thomas Lang though. I would have liked to see Marco or Thomas chair the drum throne from Dream Theater, Mangini is awesome, but would have liked to see one of the other 2 make it though.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 AM

Let me tell you my story about Marco Minnemann. I am 45 years old, and have been a drum enthusiast since I was 14. After several years of hiatus, I decided to start again, so I began a serious rudiments routine, etc. While looking for new equipment in my country (Mexico), I learned that DW was going to do the Latin American Tour, with Chester Thompson, Marco Minnemann and Álvaro López... and the tour was going to begin in Mexico! I felt very happy and fortunate because I was going to see one of my idols: Chester Thompson. Wow. I was already familiar with the great playing by Álvaro López (go watch him play someday; you won't regret it) and, well, "that Minnemann guy must be very good if he is going to play side by side with those monters", I thought. What an understatement, I know, but then I had no idea about who was Marco Minnemann.
And so the great day arrived. It was one o'clock in the afternoon with a scorching sun when I arrived at the place to meet some other 3000 guys, many of whom were wearing Minnemann's t-shirts and the like. Ninety per cent of them were between 15 and 20 years old, so I felt really out of place. While I was waiting in line, I heard several fragments of conversations and nobody even knew who Chester Thomson was. They were there to watch and hear Minnemann. "As soon as Chester starts playing, they will see", I thought.
And then, the event: Álvaro López did a great job. No doubt about it. Then came Chester. Oh my God: I had never seen anything like it live. His forty minutes solo left the audience ecstatic. And then Marco took the stage, said: "Hola cabrones!" and started an impossible solo, an incredible solo, a happy solo, a playful, serious and eye opening solo. I suddenly realized how old I was, how thorougly obsessed I had been with the classics, how blind a drum enthusiast I was. Please believe me when I say I am no idiot. I am a well read guy who loves music and who trully loves drumming. Before that day, I thought I knew what drumming was about. When Marco Minnemann, Mr Marco Minnemann, left the stage, I was sure that life had given me a lesson I was not going to forget soon. My whole concept of drums and drumming had changed forever.
For those of you who happen to have the chance to see Marco live, please do yourself and your beloved ones a favor, and show them what the new drumming is all about.
I just hope that someday DW decides to publish the video of that first day of the Latin American Tour. If they do, you will soon understand what I am talking about
Thank you very much, mister Minnemann, if you happen to read these lines.

Actualization: the Brazilian people posted the entire solo Marco Minnemann did on Sao Paolo, on the DW 40th Anniversary Latin American Tour. We are lucky they did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhiX13b_Ik

Last edited by Nostromo; 05-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

If you love Marco, get "The Aristocrats" CD. They do a killer semi-jazz-fusion with a LOT of rock influence. They are just brutally good players that pull it all off perfectly live, too. I got to watch them from just a few feet away here in Indianapolis this year and was blown away. I just wish I could have gone to California for the recording of their to-be-released DVD.

http://the-aristocrats-band.com/

They're fairly active on Facebook, too.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldrums1000 View Post
If you like metal, like I do and if you like Marco Minnemann, like I do then you will Love Necrophagist, like I do. Marco Minnemann's drumming is so amazing its almost inhuman how he plays a lot of his beats have odd time signatures but he makes it sound like a 10 year old can do it.AMAZING. So basically start listening to Necrophagist.
Ha, I don't listen to them but I stumbled on a video of Marco playing with them on YouTube and it cracked me up. Not only cos he's such a quirky/funny guy and the music is so dark but because he does it so well. I have his extreme drumming DVD, he's freakishly energetic, loud, powerful. Like the energizer bunny! It's a bit much for me after a while but I have alot of respect for him and I learned lots of cool ideas from him.

I've heard his coordination book is really good too, I may check it out one day.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
If you love Marco, get "The Aristocrats" CD. They do a killer semi-jazz-fusion with a LOT of rock influence. They are just brutally good players that pull it all off perfectly live, too. I got to watch them from just a few feet away here in Indianapolis this year and was blown away. I just wish I could have gone to California for the recording of their to-be-released DVD.

Yes, a great album indeed!

I was also happy to see him during the Dream Theater audition - a close second to Mike Mangini. I mean, he really blew their socks off.

-sheldon
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Marco Minnemann sounds a lot like Jens Hannemann, eh? :) It's probably a composite of several of the "Super Euro-Drummer" types who have released DVDs of their mind-bending chops and time signatures, but the similarity in name is unmistakable.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post

great album. the chops actually have a sense of humor as well..

Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
great album. the chops actually have a sense of humor as well..

I must concur with that statement.

And it's a very rare thing, too. The only other album I can think of that accomplishes this is Jon Finn's first CD "Don't Look So Serious".
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Marco Minnemann sounds a lot like Jens Hannemann, eh? :) It's probably a composite of several of the "Super Euro-Drummer" types who have released DVDs of their mind-bending chops and time signatures, but the similarity in name is unmistakable.
As for name similarity - here's another one - Hannes Grossmann (extreme drummer) ;-)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Gold Member

Anyone laid an ear on Marco on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing(and other stories)"

Some great work.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdoubleE View Post
I know this is a bold remark But Minnemann has brought somthing to the drumming community that noone else has. Incredible Innovation!!!! This guy is simply amazing
Actualy i lied in the Agren Thread I Think Minnemann may also be another fav !! Dang it too many Incredible drummers lol
Oh so there IS another Agren thread. Oops. Anyway, Marco was my favorite drummer to touch metal (excluding Coluita and Bozzio who IMO have insignificant metal output) before discovering Agren so I guess we are opposites in the regard. Agren is far more innovative though, Batterie / Batteria deluxe is unlike anything I've ever heard before and so is Agren's play-around soloing style. I can't post lengths easily ATM but if you're curious search "Devin Agren Deluxe" or something, that video made all the Devin/Zappa comparisons completely justifiable to me... two eccentric geniuses.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

hey special...

Is that really a response to a post from 2005?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Anyone laid an ear on Marco on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing(and other stories)"

Some great work.
Awesome album. New prog-rock classic. And Marco's playing is out of this world at times. Recommended listening for sure.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 AM

It mentioned my two favorite underdiscussed drummers, I had no choice.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Please watch this awe inspiring solo (48 minutes of wonder) that Minnemann played in Brasil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhiX13b_Ik
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 PM

That first song was excellent for something that was written that night, astounding even. Marco has truly conquered the drums. From what I understand he could be a great prog metal guitarist if he wanted to as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim View Post
Awesome album. New prog-rock classic. And Marco's playing is out of this world at times. Recommended listening for sure.
And they kick it up a few notches live… Its mindblowing. I had the pleasure of meeting Marco on all SW gigs I went to this year and talk with him. He;s a very friendly guy, very cheerful and greatful. It is actually what makes him stand out and why I would hire him to do any gig, even if its just way below his capabilities: he brings a lot of fun to the bandstand, a lot of positive energy that really kicks up the music and interplay between bandmembers. That is something special that not every musician can do, no matter how good they are.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 PM

My band is fortunate enough to have gained an opportunity to open up for these guys in July!!! I love Marco Minneman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaqbbjciqsE
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Marco is a phenom, check out his group "The Aristocrats" fusion of blues/jazz/funk/rock it's amazing stuff!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 AM

Marco has a new studio album coming out - he recorded it with a Los Angeles song-writing duo called The Hushdown.

You can pre-order the album here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/th...-the-road-fund
Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 PM

He has another project out now too with Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin. He plays guitar on the album as well as drums.