DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Default Help with identifying wood type

Hi All

I recently bought a relatively cheap kick / bass ( I am gradually picking up cheap but relatively good quality bits to "build" a kit up )

Can anyone identify the wood on the inside Veneer of the drum. My apologies for the quality of the pics but the colour / grain in the photos is a fair likeness for the wood.

I wont say what the drum is "supposed" to be yet...there are no badges or serial numbers, but the outside appearance is consistent with the brand its supposed to be. The inside however is not a wood I recognise.

Any ideas ?
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Help with identifying wood type

Could be mahogany[Philippines maybe]
Old 04-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

Looks like luan, which is considered a low quality shell material. Usually appears in vertical grain as shown. A number of drum companies have used this material on lower level kits.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

I agree it looks like luan (Philippine mahogany). It does look as though it has been stained to look more like African mahogany, but I don't believe it is.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks all for your input

Mahogony does make part sense ( I didnt consider the possibility of staining !! ... Doh)
as the drum in question is supposed to be an old composite wood version of a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage

The shells are supposed to have an outer layer of birch and an inner layer of falkata combined with Philippine mahogany plies....hence my confusion as to why the mahogony is the inner ply of the drum as opposed to falkata (the toms that came with it are of normal configuration.)
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Nice drums. Yes - they look like Luan.
I recently had given to me a Royal Star (Star) 1414 floor tom. It was HarryConway - a member here - thank you Harry! It's Luan wood (Asian Mahogany).

It was a wrapped Pearl that someone had painted over with a thick black lacquer (it wasn't Harry....just sayin).

I could have wrapped it but I thought I'd try some stain and paint. The outer ply had a large V....there were two pieces of ply. I could have primered it and painted but I wanted to stain it. That would mean the lines separating the plys would show. I had some green paint so I used that with the stain. The first photo is a little dark - the picture with the other drums is more what it looks like.

So - you can stain the wood..........it doesn't look too bad I think. If I was more of a Pro I might have taken the time to do a more of a 'fade' with the stain.

Here's the result....
Attached Images