DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Show us your Four Piece Kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Here's my recent:

Slingerlands from 1977 - 9x13, 16x16, and 14x22 bass drums. 6.5x14 Buddy Rich COB TDR snare. I thought it would be cool to complete the vibe with a black dot logo front head, and a PS3 on the back. The rest of the drums have ambassadors top and bottom. Double ply heads do not work well on these ;)
Your kick's black dot front head is way too cool. I love that 60's-70's look with that head. A lovely kit. And like Roy E. Munson said, your bass drum looks much bigger than a 22!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy E. Munson View Post
Thats a beautiful looking kit Bo! I love the how you always have such a simple setup. Who needs all those splashes, toms, chinas, popcorn snares etc??? Im on the same page. Need to post a pic of my new vistalite setup soon.

PS That bass drum for some reason looks like a monster 26" to me. Must be the head?
Thanks. I am so loving this retirement kit. I'm not sure I'll take it out considering why I got it in the first place. But alas, the black dot head, being over 20 years old, has pulled out of the collar. So I put the fiberskyn 3 and white Reso back on. A much better sound, but I'm debating getting a new black dot for it. However, today they're going to Pro Drum and we're gonna re-install the Slingerland badges. Not necessary, but I want to complete the vibe ;)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Nice Fiberskyn! Looks really classy.
Thanks! I just ordered a Gretsch logo decal like Grunter's in the post after yours so it'll look even classier. Well, IMO anyway. I don't usualy replace logos on heads but I thought it would be nice in this case.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
12, 14 floor, 14 snare, 22 bass

I like what you've done with that kit.

Just one opinion, of course, but I think it looks way better with the stands rather than the rack.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Administrator

thanks. when I see the small kits I get the urge to reduce mine. Less stuff in my room also
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Here's my recent:

Slingerlands from 1977 - 9x13, 16x16, and 14x22 bass drums. 6.5x14 Buddy Rich COB TDR snare. I thought it would be cool to complete the vibe with a black dot logo front head, and a PS3 on the back. The rest of the drums have ambassadors top and bottom. Double ply heads do not work well on these ;)
Digging the old Slingerlands very nice kit Bo....\m/(>_<)\m/

Bonzolead
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 AM

DW Collector's series in pink-champagne sparkle & Mapex Obsidian kits.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 AM

Here is my new vistalites. I bought the kit locally off craigslist for 800 cash. It came with a 18 floor tom which I sold on ebay for 350 + shipping. So I paid less than 500 for the 3 shells. The kit is a re-issue, but its in perfect shape. Also setup is a Gretsch USA Aluminum snare, 24 A med. ride, 20 A Custom EFX, 15 K light hats. Everything sounds amazing together. I added a coated to the BD batter, and put a white classic ludwig logo front on with a Blue Holz for looks only. I think it looks great. Hope to play it out someday soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Roy E. Munson; 04-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

I bought this Pearl Export bass drum to go with the Gretsch toms in these pictures. I tried to get a bass drum that would look good with the natural wood toms. I would like some honest opinions. I am not too wild about how it all looks, so it will not hurt my feelings at all if you say it does not look good. I like how the set sounds, but looks do matter. What do you think?
Attached Images

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Here is my new vistalites. I bought the kit locally off craigslist for 800 cash. It came with a 18 floor tom which I sold on ebay for 350 + shipping. So I paid less than 500 for the 3 shells. The kit is a re-issue, but its in perfect shape. Also setup is a Gretsch USA Aluminum snare, 24 A med. ride, 20 A Custom EFX, 15 K light hats. Everything sounds amazing together. I added a coated to the BD batter, and put a white classic ludwig logo front on with a Blue Holz for looks only. I think it looks great. Hope to play it out someday soon.
Beautiful Vistalite, Roy. I think the blue ones are my favorite.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
I bought this Pearl Export bass drum to go with the Gretsch toms in these pictures. I tried to get a bass drum that would look good with the natural wood toms. I would like some honest opinions. I am not too wild about how it all looks, so it will not hurt my feelings at all if you say it does not look good. I like how the set sounds, but looks do matter. What do you think?
Maybe you could take off the wrap so it would match the toms. But if you're happy with it that's what matters.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not sure what your plan is but I would remove the tom mount and get a snare stand for the rack tom. That arm just seams to detract from the set.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I also think it wouldn't hurt to try taking the wrap off the bass drum to see where it's at underneath.
To be honest with you, it looks like kind of a mish-mash now. But if it sounds good, that's more important than what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I'm not sure what your plan is but I would remove the tom mount and get a snare stand for the rack tom. That arm just seams to detract from the set.

This is a good idea too ^^^^. If you took the wrap off the bass, you could also remove the tom mount, plug the holes, have a virgin bass drum, and mount the tom on a snare stand.

Now you're cookin' -- LOL

A question though - did you buy that bass drum new, or used?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I bought the bass drum new for $225.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I bought the bass drum new for $225.
In that case - you probably don't want to mess with it.

Use it as-is. It's fine.

Another thing you could do (sometime in the future), is keep your eyes out for a mounted tom and floor tom that match the bass drum.

But then you're back to square one again though - LOL

Really, it's fine as it is. Check out some of these: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=match
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

My charming Tama Superstar set up for my usual jams, with the classic rock tuning- personally I think it's the only place the toms sound good. My softer stuff usually has a different left crash & a stack on the right in place of the china. 14" Zildjian New Alloy Crash/14" HHX Evolution Bottom, 16" AAX Studio crash, 18" HHX Evolution crash, 19" Saluda Glory china.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
Maybe you could take off the wrap so it would match the toms. But if you're happy with it that's what matters.
Thanks for the good suggestion. That is probably what I will do. Even if the wood underneath the wrap is a different shade than the toms, it would still look better. I will probably do it in a week or two. Peace and goodwill.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Here is mine. Don't laugh. It's a Sunlite (circa 1996). I just got back into drumming after about 15 years away from it. I want to upgrade but we are saving for a house and I have a 3 year old and 1 year old. Those factors = no money and no time for much drumming.

However, I've obsessively tuned, re-tuned, adjusted and re-tuned to the point where these things don't sound too bad. EC2's over G1's and an Evans ST over Hazy 300 on my Ludwig Rocker Elite snare. EMAD2 on Bass.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Here is mine. Don't laugh. It's a Sunlite (circa 1996). I just got back into drumming after about 15 years away from it. I want to upgrade but we are saving for a house and I have a 3 year old and 1 year old. Those factors = no money and no time for much drumming.

However, I've obsessively tuned, re-tuned, adjusted and re-tuned to the point where these things don't sound too bad. EC2's over G1's and an Evans ST over Hazy 300 on my Ludwig Rocker Elite snare. EMAD2 on Bass....

Looks like you've got great cymbals that you should hang onto. Different drums can always come after you've got other things sorted out. A good set of cymbals can stay through many sets passing through.
I am sort of laughing at the Sunlites though - LOL
I picked up a couple of heavily battered Sunlite drums for almost nothing. But that's about what they were worth too. Any drums are always better than no drums though. And yours look like they're in pretty decent shape.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

An friend of mine once had a Sunlite kit, and the bass drum sounded great. Peace and goodwill.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
An friend of mine once had a Sunlite kit, and the bass drum sounded great. Peace and goodwill.
The bass has never been a problem. It sounds decent. It's the toms that need a lot of attention and some dampening. It does what I need for now.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

When I said heavily battered, it was not only the outside of the shells were dinged and chipped, but also the insides (don't know how someone managed that). Extra holes were drilled, all the metal was rusted, and the heads were split open - ha ha. Two toms, 12 and 13" - paid 10 bucks 'em.

I put a little work into them with spare parts I had laying around, but they still didn't sound or look too hot - no longer around.

I'm sure if one of those bass drums had decent heads on it, it'd sound just fine.

Last edited by wildbill; 04-14-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Here we are. It's a 90's Keller-shell Slingerland which somebody rewrapped in white marine pearl, which I haven't gotten around to redoing. It came with a 10" tom I never use. The snare is by Select, which I think was Craviotto's first company.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
I took the wrap off last night. The wood underneath looks good but is much lighter, so I will have to stain it to make it match the Gretsch toms. I am going to take my time and do it right. OR I may buy two Pearl toms and paint them and the bass drum. I will decide in a day or two. Peace and goodwill.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

Here is the newly refinished Pearl Export bass drum with the Gretsch toms. The snare is also a Pearl Export. I am happy with how it came out. I obviously did nothing to the hoops because I am not sure if they are glued all the way around. Peace and goodwill.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 AM

My Sonor Force series kit. I had it painted recently. sizes are 9x12; 16x16; 18x22.
The snare drum is a later 70s or early 80s Tama Swingstar 6x14

I had the paint mixed for these drums. I was after Bel Air blue. These drums have been two shades of red, and were originally wrapped in white.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
My Sonor Force series kit. I had it painted recently. sizes are 9x12; 16x16; 18x22.
The snare drum is a later 70s or early 80s Tama Swingstar 6x14

I had the paint mixed for these drums. I was after Bel Air blue. These drums have been two shades of red, and were originally wrapped in white.
They look nice. Peace and goodwill.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Here is the newly refinished Pearl Export bass drum with the Gretsch toms. The snare is also a Pearl Export. I am happy with how it came out. I obviously did nothing to the hoops because I am not sure if they are glued all the way around. Peace and goodwill.
That looks much better. I like that you left the inlay on the hoops. Looks classy like that.
Good job!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

My babies......8)

Bonzolead
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Looks great...............Natural is classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
My babies......8)

Bonzolead
Man those Acrylics look Bada$$
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Looks great...............Natural is classy.

Man those Acrylics look Bada$$
Thanks for the nice comment here's a pic of them on stage.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Greetings everyone! Getting my feet wet here with a picture of my four-piece taken before the gig last night.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

It matched up nicely - they look really good.

If you ever decide to remove the trim on the hoops, just get it started and use a heat gun on it. It'll come off even if glued all the way around. You might have some leftover glue to remove before doing anything more though.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Thanks for the nice comment here's a pic of them on stage.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Wow, those look unbelievable. I've always wanted an acrylic set but of course that's based on looks. I own a Pork Pie acrylic snare and love it, but I know nothing of hearing acrylic toms/bass in person.

I'd love to get a set of acrylic Pork Pies but I don't make 6 figures! I've been playing a 6 piece kit, 2 up 2 down in my four-piece rock cover band. I've been dabbling with the thought of finding a talented guitarist/singer and attempting a 2-man-original-band minimalist approach ala Black Keys or White Stripes. And with that, I'd prefer to play 1up, 1 down. That 5 piece Crush set is definitely affordable, but I'd love to purchase the drums individually as I really wouldn't need the high tom or snare.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 PM

My Gretsch New Classic in Merlot Sparkle finish - two pics from this spring's tour :)
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisDrummer View Post
Wow, those look unbelievable. I've always wanted an acrylic set but of course that's based on looks. I own a Pork Pie acrylic snare and love it, but I know nothing of hearing acrylic toms/bass in person.

I'd love to get a set of acrylic Pork Pies but I don't make 6 figures! I've been playing a 6 piece kit, 2 up 2 down in my four-piece rock cover band. I've been dabbling with the thought of finding a talented guitarist/singer and attempting a 2-man-original-band minimalist approach ala Black Keys or White Stripes. And with that, I'd prefer to play 1up, 1 down. That 5 piece Crush set is definitely affordable, but I'd love to purchase the drums individually as I really wouldn't need the high tom or snare.
to be honest I rarely use the 10" tom it sounds sweet but i'm a 4-piece player i've been contemplating of selling it & getting the 18" floor tom instead & using 2 floor toms but it's not super important right now..lol.
I really like the sound of the acrylics especially the bass drum it might be a 18 x 22 bass but it booms like a 24 with a really nice punch. the only drawback is that they're f**king heavy..lol but damn they do sound good so it's worth it...lol. if you're thinking about it get em' I have no regrets after getting these drums.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Shot of my Starclassics from a recent gig:

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Ludwig Breakbeat arrives...

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
Ludwig Breakbeat arrives...

Those look great! Congrats! That blue looks alot deeper and darker than the pictures I've been seeing on the internet. Maybe I'll add one to my collection ;)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

That blue Breakbeats kit is cool! Peace and goodwill.