DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Default 18" Subwoofer Amp Opinions

I have a full PA with 15" mains, 15" monitors and a single 18" sub. I am currently running the sub with a Mackie m1400i, which puts out 850 watts to the sub. While the Mackie amp has a subwoofer setting, as well as has low frequency pass options for 125hz and 63 hz, I typically run full-range output instead because full-range seems to afford a higher output. I have a nice Rane active crossover I use as a low pass filter for the sub, so I have no worries in that area. Sounds great, but it seems like I have to be careful of transient spikes from heavy kick strikes, as the clip light comes on with the transients. I'm not sure if that really is a real problem because it only comes on with the hard strikes, and no distortion can be heard, but I gotta think that light is there for a reason. :-)

I'd rather not have to worry about being so careful with the amp, and am looking into a different powerful amp. To that end, the QSC PLX2 3602 is attractive, because not only is it half the weight of my Mackie, I would have the option of running the sub from one channel, and monitors in the other in a pinch. Problem is that they are pretty steeply priced, even on the used market.

I was also considering the Yamha P7000 and the older PLX (like the 3402), but both these models have handles that stick out a ridiculous 1.5"+, whichs prevents them from fitting properly into racks with front doors. FWIW, I have read suggestions to buy different racks, but any model that is designed stupidly enough to try to force me to find a special rack to replace a rack built to standard specs does not deserve my attention (which is exactly why QSC did away with those dumb handles on the newer PLX2).

Of course, I can always go to the heavier QSC RMX series, I'd prefer not to have to because of weight and expense. To bring cost down, I'm thinking a 2450 would work in Bridge mode, but that limits my options, and the weight is not attractive.

If I am going to stay heavy, I can't help but wonder if I should consider a Behringer, like an EP4000, which is cheap in comparison to everything else. I mean, I'm pretty sure any sound quality compromise I might have to make might not be much of an issue, since the application is for the low frequencies of a subwoofer. But dependability becomes a concern with this brand, right?

The only other quality lightweight option I can see that is more palatable financially, as well as is a good brand name, is the Crown XTI4000. But, I've read in several places on the web that the newer, lighter amps are not good for subs, and is especially true of the Crowns. BUt, if that was trues, wouldn't the new PLX2s suck, as well?

Does anyone have any experience running a sub with a Crown XTI 4000 dependably?

Does anyone have any experience running a sub with a Behringer EP4000 dependably?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: 18" Subwoofer Amp Opinions

You need to specify the power ratings of your sub in order for anyone to recommend an amp. How many ohms, watts, watts max ( peak)....

For example:
I have 2 Yamaha bins that are rated at 1000 watts min @ 4 ohms each. They can handle a maximum of 2000 watts @ 4 ohms. I'm powering both with my Yorkville AP4040. One per channel which gives them 1200 watts continuous @ 4 ohms. I've never clipped the amp.
DW, Gilbrator
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Default Re: 18" Subwoofer Amp Opinions

18" Sub with 4" coil, 8 ohms, 1000 watt RMS, 2000 watt peak. I am now also wondering if a Mackie FRS2800 or M3000 would work, too, and maybe better in this application than some of the others I mentioned, in particular the XTI4000 or EP4000?