DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM

Default Peter Criss Boom Stand

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums but have been playing for 32 years now. I have a question and hope someone can help me. I have been looking everywhere for a curved boom stand like Peter Criss used during the Alive 2 and Dynasty tours. It is on his left, your right in the pic below.

About 8-9 years ago when I lived in OKC, some company, I don't remember the name released these. I saw the pic of them in the catalog at a local drum shop that is now out of business. Anyway, any info on these would be appreciated.

Rick
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Peter Criss Boom Stand

What picture?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

What about taking a pipe bender to a regular tubular boom arm?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
What about taking a pipe bender to a regular tubular boom arm?
^^This. Looks like what he did. So far as I know, no manufacturer currently sells a pre-curved boom arm.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM

I didn't think about the pipe bender. I'll check into it. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

They just had the tube bent. On the previous kit (Destroyer) the cymbal/boom was in the same spot, and the boom arm was probably in the way (his sight line, audience view, bad for pics, etc...). I always liked how that stand looked.
Before that, he used straight stands. He had more swing in his playing then. I always liked those kits better too, but with them, why have 12 drums when you can have 18 or 20?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
They just had the tube bent. On the previous kit (Destroyer) the cymbal/boom was in the same spot, and the boom arm was probably in the way (his sight line, audience view, bad for pics, etc...). I always liked how that stand looked.
Before that, he used straight stands. He had more swing in his playing then. I always liked those kits better too, but with them, why have 12 drums when you can have 18 or 20?
Slightly off topic, but I just watched the entire Destroyer tour show on YouTube. They kicked ass back then, and Peter's playing was much livelier than in later years.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Slightly off topic, but I just watched the entire Destroyer tour show on YouTube. They kicked ass back then, and Peter's playing was much livelier than in later years.
I watched that and some earlier ones as well. After watching the Dynasty tour is what got me back on the hunt for that stand. Peter did play best early on, all the fame and drugs went to his head....and playing.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

It's funny that I used to think, "oh man, if I had a double tom stand like that..." looking at the pic in the Alive booklet. Back then, there really wasn't "hardware" to buy. NOTHING like there is today holy cow!
I actually had a couple of those drums in my hands once. The color was an Ivory satin (yellowed of course)over fiberglass shells. They still had the small pieces of folded tissue and dried up duct tape on the Black Dot heads too. That was pretty cool :-)

The Midnight Special or DK Rock Concert and the Alive! 1975 (second night) stuff is the best era for me.
Destroyer changed the music and had less swing in the songs. The parts are more static IMO. I HATE the way R&RO sounds, but Peter had a little bit of swing on a few tunes. The songs translate a little better (more rockin') on A2, but the parts are just played way straight. The studio side of A2 is still a fave, song and sound-wise.

It's funny to me that with his ringier snare on Love Gun in a couple songs (Shock Me being the most noticeable), the only other songs later that it sounded like that were on Ace's songs.
Anton Figs snare on Ace's solo record his fairly ringy too.

I think I prefer a less "prefect" snare sound because of Peter Criss.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Love those early early records the most, Hotter than Hell especially. Criss played with a lot more authority in the early days.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
Love those early early records the most, Hotter than Hell especially. Criss played with a lot more authority in the early days.
I'm hitting the like button.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Gold Member

Although I love all '70s KISS, I prefer their early period. So Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed to Kill and Alive! Agreed Peter was at his best during this time and perhaps into '76 as well.

Peter was a huge influence on my drumming.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 AM

Listening to Dressed to Kill and Alive over and over is what inspired me, especially Alive. There is still something special about it to me to this day. Don't get me wrong, I love the Alive 2 era as well but Alive is what hooked me in.