DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
For those who may not be too familiar with the above listed tunes, most sources (other than Purdie) credit the drumming on them to (respectively) Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Rick Marotta, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Jack DeJohnette/Don Alias/Lenny White, Willie Hall, and Jim Keltner. Is there a conspiracy afoot to cover up the fact that Purdie replaced all of them, too? Or is there only a conspiracy regarding Ringo and the Beatles?
as far as the Steely Dan tunes ...I'm all but certain that Purdie indeed did track those tunes with the band......it's just that his takes were not chosen for the final product

as for Cold sweat and the others ..... just pure delusion of sorts
Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I don't know that he deliberately is, I just believe he's got his facts mixed up as to what became of the tracks he may have worked on. They definitely weren't the Beatles songs that we know, and he doesn't seem to know the difference.

Bermuda
I don't know if he's lying or confusing himself (ie replaying those incidents in his mind out of order etc) but I haven't seen in this thread where its totally implausible.

At the least I'd be willing to buy that he recorded some alternate versions or did session work where its not clear what happened to "his contribution". At least I know of that type of thing happening in other parts of the entertainment world (film,TV). Speaking of which.....

Isn't there footage of Steely Dan discussing his involvement with Aja?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Gold Member

As far as I have heard and read, he only maybe sweetened songs with Pete Best playing, not Ringo.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
As far as I have heard and read, he only maybe sweetened songs with Pete Best playing, not Ringo.
Those are the tracks I'm looking for, the difference would be pretty noticeable with additional drums.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM

GOT IT!!

Okay, I pulled a few tracks from a Bear Family CD of Tony Sheridan tracks, which lists some as "US version". On listening to Ain't She Sweet, the difference was immediately noticeable - the drums are louder, and there's a ride that doesn't appear (or is certainly inaudible) on the original version. Fills and parts are duplicated, but more assertive.

Could it just be a different mix with the drums boosted? Back then it wasn't possible. Besides, there's some telltale flamming. This absolutely has additional drums on it!

On Take Out Some Insurance On Me Baby, same thing, and the flamming is even more obvious.

So, we have an important clue: there were tracks that the early Beatles (John, Paul, George & Pete) played on, and they were updated when the Beatles became a hit in America (all of the updated versions have a 1964 copyright.) But, was it Purdie?

I'll need to check out how many of the songs are updated, the only ones labeled with US version are the two I mentioned, plus Sweet Georgia Brown (there's some added bass slapping, probably sticks on a rim) and Nobody's Child. But there are different versions of all of the songs, stereo and mono, and a number of them have a 1964 copyright (while their obviously original counterparts are 1961 & 1962.) At some point I'll listen to all and figure out if there are additional drumming differences.

At any rate, Purdie or not, there weren't 21 Tony Sheridan (w/Beatles) tracks in the first place, and I believe that's the number Purdie claims. So, something's still 'up' with the story.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 03-25-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
I hear that Purdie was replaced on Home at Last by Steve Gadd ;-)

Soundcloud stream
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

. . .
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post

there were a number of drummer who tracked Aja for the band

thats just the way they do things.

they track a bunch of players doing their thing and pick the take they like
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
At any rate, Purdie or not, there weren't 21 Tony Sheridan (w/Beatles) tracks in the first place, and I believe that's the number Purdie claims. So, something's still 'up' with the story.
And still no, "yeah, yeah, yeah" as he also claims. A far cry from "replacing Ringo" as he would have us believe.....especially given that would mean replacing drums parts that have already been bounced down.

But, it's possible he's embellished some of the very early drum parts.......just like it's possible he's then gone on to embellish the story as a whole. :-)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

I don't see a motive for Purdie 'lying' here.

Purdie could have done all he said he did, they could very well have told him they're replacing Ringo's tracks. Purdie knows/remembers what he was told Im sure, maybe not verbatim, but the gist of it, tho what came out in the end might be different, they may not have used everything he did. Purdie could have easily recorded it all like he says. What would be his motive for lying?

And here's an example, they could have done 21 tracks, w/Purdie on every one, just didn't use them all on the record.

Its been awhile since I read the interview, but I don't remember Purdie claiming that's just him on the BEATLE'S records, he'd be more boastful about it (b/c he could be), like- "Man, you think that's Ringo, but that's ME playing on that record!"

Purdie's claim was/is that he was hired to 'fix' BEATLE'S tracks, which if he says it, I believe it, the keyword being 'fix'. Purdie never flat-out claimed he's the only guy on the 21 BEATLES record(s), that's everyone else caught up in their own fantasy/illusion.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 03-26-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Purdie could have done all he said he did, they could very well have told him they're replacing Ringo's tracks.
Except that it was Pete Best on the tracks that were embellished.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Renegade

Quote:

Purdie could have done all he said he did, they could very well have told him they're replacing Ringo's tracks. Purdie knows/remembers what he was told Im sure, maybe not verbatim, but the gist of it, tho what came out in the end might be different, they may not have used everything he did. Purdie could have easily recorded it all like he says. What would be his motive for lying?
The motive? To big note himself.

Even if he was told they were Ringo's tracks, surely even a moment's listening would make it clear Ringo was drumming.

Or have we been fooled into thinking we know Ringo's style from live clips? It may have been Bernard Purdie in a Ringo suit! At one point you can see the zipper on the back of "Ringo" in the Colosseum clip ...

In fact, Ringo may not exist. Has anyone seen him and Purdie in the same room together?

Soundcloud stream
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Gold Member

Before making my main points I'll just say this: Purdie is making claims that he hasn't as of yet provided any evidence for. His word is not enough. He is making the claim, the burden of proof is on him to back it up. His seeming lack of motive for lying is irrelevant. UFO "abductees" have no reason to lie (an argument I have heard a lot) and I don't believe them either.

What evidence does exist shows the exact opposite; Ringo played. No auditory evidence of a second drummer and drums were not isolated. The US releases sound identical the UK releases. 21 tracks comprises more than the whole first album. To think he was at the marathon session for Please Please Me is absurd. If he means 21 singles that comprises several years of releases. To think he was hired to play over all that material spanning 3 or 4 years is even more ridiculous. To think that the Beatles and George Martin conspired to replace Ringo and then cover it up for decades without any leakes is flagrant conspiratorial thinking bordering on lunacy.

He at most played over the Sheridan tracks for a US release after Beatlemania hit. Case closed.

Last edited by drumdevil9; 03-26-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Renegade

Quote:
To think that the Beatles and George Martin conspired to replace Ringo and then cover it up for decades without any leaks is flagrant conspiratorial thinking bordering on lunacy.
ROFL - nailed it.

Soundcloud stream
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

And here's an example, they could have done 21 tracks, w/Purdie on every one, just didn't use them all on the record.

Its been awhile since I read the interview, but I don't remember Purdie claiming that's just him on the BEATLE'S records, he'd be more boastful about it (b/c he could be), like- "Man, you think that's Ringo, but that's ME playing on that record!"

Purdie's claim was/is that he was hired to 'fix' BEATLE'S tracks, which if he says it, I believe it, the keyword being 'fix'. Purdie never flat-out claimed he's the only guy on the 21 BEATLES record(s), that's everyone else caught up in their own fantasy/illusion.
Sorry,but that's CLEARLY Ringo's playing .Just listen to it.Tell me how you remotely fix a 4 channel track without the existing drum track "bleeding "into the final mix.The Beatles played and recorded LIVE,not instrument bu instrument.

NOT Possible.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
The motive? To big note himself.

Even if he was told they were Ringo's tracks, surely even a moment's listening would make it clear Ringo was drumming.

Or have we been fooled into thinking we know Ringo's style from live clips? It may have been Bernard Purdie in a Ringo suit! At one point you can see the zipper on the back of "Ringo" in the Colosseum clip ...

In fact, Ringo may not exist. Has anyone seen him and Purdie in the same room together?

+1000 on this.I don't deny that Purdie is a great drummer,but he's also a carnival barker,and has a jealousy streak in him a mile wide.

In purdies opinion,Ringo isn't nearly as good as he is.and that just irritates him to no end.

Sorry,till some other CREDIBLE witnesses(as in more than one) come foward with PROOF,then to me....he and others that believe this nonsence are just like ailen abductees.You both have the same credibility and complete lack of evidence,that has ANY probative value.

Snake oil anyone?

Steve B
Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Case closed.
Well, you'd think so wouldn't you?

But if life has taught me one thing, it's never to underestimate the sheer gullibility of someone who wants to believe.

Quote:
ROFL - nailed it.
+1. Succinctly covers this whole fantasy.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

+1. Succinctly covers this whole fantasy.
Yes indeed. But oh ya, I meant to tell you all..... Paul is dead.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Yep...Paul is dead,they just got someone who looks,talks,sings,writes and walks EXACTLY like him.Amazing.Oh...those Beatles and their conspiracies.

By the way,aliens are here and look exactly like us.They just park their ships in garage which is why we haven't seen one up close.

Bigfoot is real also,and will be running the "Bigfoot" roller coaster at Six Flags amusement park this summer.He will also be doing Shakespear in the park with the Boogieman,Santa,and the Three Musketeers.

Horse rides for the kiddies will be provided by Zorro and The Lone Ranger & Tonto.

Security will be provided by the Avengers,Thor,the Black Widow,The Hawk,Iron Man,The Hulk,and Captian America.

A special treat will be a Black Sabbath reunion wth Ozzie Osborne and Iron Man who will jam with the band on the song featuring his name sake.

Thuth is,if you believe there is a conspiracy,you'll find one,based on the say so of either a liar or a true believer.The latter of which is usually someone who buys into the lies,and so it becomes reality for them.All of it is usually based on the word of someone, who on the face of it,has some credibility.

That slight degree of credibility,upon scrutinization and professional investigation,ultimately falls apart.

I guarantee you ,that if Purdie was interviewed by a trained,experienced police detective,he and his story would fold like a cheap suit.

I've been a trained investigator(ret. NYPD Detective) for over 30 years now,and there is nothing, that even remotely rings true about this lie.His story,when exposed to the light of day,dissolves under scrutiny.Just the different variations of the story are an indicator of it being true only in the mind of the story teller,and not in reality.It NEVER HAPPENED,period.

Just investigate some of his other claims,and his "credibility " soon evaporates into the ramblings of wanna be,that that never was.Great drummer yes,but that's not good enough.

It was B.S.then,It's B.S.now and will be B.S. tomorrow.Makes for a wonderful fairy tale though.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 03-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Well...regardless, I think that he MUST have written and probably played on this jazzy track!

http://youtu.be/Rdqh0GsXMII
Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickIt View Post
Well...regardless, I think that he MUST have written and probably played on this jazzy track!

http://youtu.be/Rdqh0GsXMII
Sorry but no.That's Chip White on drums.He also played vibraphone on that album.I'm sure Purdie might claim it was him,but I doubt he knows who Tom is.

Steve B
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Renegade

At the risk of demarcation with Henri ...

Love that Tom Waits track BTW

Soundcloud stream
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
At the risk of demarcation with Henri ...
A demarcation dispute occurs when two cartoonists claim the right to represent the same humor or a person who is skillful in the use of cartoons and/or images. This is particularly important in the compulsory arbitration of the system related to this forum, members have been comparing across many threads by growth and decline patterns, by humor levels, and by kinds of popular activity...

...and I may say I'm standing a long way behind you Grea :)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=tamadrm;1123089]Sorry,but that's CLEARLY Ringo's playing .Just listen to it.Tell me how you remotely fix a 4 channel track without the existing drum track "bleeding "into the final mix.The Beatles played and recorded LIVE,not instrument bu instrument.

NOT Possible.

Steve B

Steve B[/quote]

That's what a future interviewer needs to ask, what was the process. Apparently its what they were doing back then and Purdie, taught by Les Paul was the best at it, he was the go-to guy. No punch in's, he had to nail it from start to finish, clearly on another level of playing drums. Not just Beatles tracks (Purdie said he didn't even know it was the Beatles he was working on at the time), this was being done to a lot of bands recordings at the time.

They had four track [tape recorders] and they put me on two separate tracks. I would listen to what Ringo had played and then overdub on top of it to keep it happening."

This is too crazy to be made up IMO-

"I got paid in five figures [$10,000 or more]," Purdie adds, "and that was the largest amount of money I'd ever gotten in my life. I thought they were paying me all that money because they liked what I played. Then [Epstein] told me I was being paid to keep my mouth shut."

Purdie says he signed a contract. Does he still have it?

"The contract", he explains, "was the check that I signed -- and I cashed it! On the back of the check, it was spelled out what I did ... 'payment for services rendered'. It took up half the check. But I didn't think about making a photo-copy. It didn't mean anything to me."

I can see Epstein wanting the Beatles to make a good showing in the US, insurance, he would benefit. He could have easily took it upon himself to do this, its what was happening at the time stateside.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie BS Interview....

I can't believe I'm going to continue on with this but...

Have you read this?

"Apparently it's what they were doing..." blah blah is irrelevant and doesn't prove anything in this case. You can't just take Purdie's word without examining it against what's actually possible and what's just logistically ridiculous. Unless you're saying that everything we know about the Beatles' timeline and recording methods is false and a cover-up?

Hey, maybe he did the sessions and they were never used and that's why we don't hear him on the tracks. In which case, who f***ing cares?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

This thread reminds of the Eddie Murphy "5th Beatle" sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcrRZ...tailpage#t=53s