DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Default Remo Pinstripe

By FAR My Favorite head ever.......Just brings out the tone of the drum like no other 4 me....If ya Never tried them,and your kit sounds like cardboard give them a shot,with no muffle and let the drums SING................Thank me later.......
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo Pinstripe

Eh, I prefer Emperors. Pinstripes made my old kit sound like a cardboard box haha. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 AM

I'm a long-time Pinstripe fan. My Pearls sound have always sounded great with their Pinstripes. I'm debating replacing the Evans Genera G2s batters on my Gretsch Renown Maples with them.

Not sure yet though. Still, I do love those Pinstripes!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Pinstripes are actually fairly muffled heads, so...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

I've used Pinstripes off and on for years. I always thought they struck the perfect balance of providing some openness while taking the edge off the higher overtones, if you wanted a sound a little darker than an emperor. They don't sound nearly as muffled as some other companies' muffled heads, IMO.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Allow me to be a bit rough with you... If you can't tune drums, use muffled drumheads. Not necessarily true, but close perhaps.

I've been through a lot of drum heads, including pinstripes. It seems like 2 ply, 14mil, is just a bit too much, while 10 mil single ply is just a bit too weak, so I've just ordered a set of Evans g plus, and we'll see what happens. Pretty sure they'll be perfect.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
I've been through a lot of drum heads, including pinstripes. It seems like 2 ply, 14mil, is just a bit too much, while 10 mil single ply is just a bit too weak, so I've just ordered a set of Evans g plus, and we'll see what happens. Pretty sure they'll be perfect.
Maybe Vintage Ambassadors (thin double ply) or the Evans G14s (14 mil single ply) would be up your alley?

Personally the combination of my kit's birch, bad bearing edges, and Pinstripes turn it into plastic city, but I could see them maybe working on a less dry kit. However, for a double-ply sound, I'd rather go for an unmuffled two-ply and apply sliced moongel to taste.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

Good, we've established we both like it a bit rough. So allow me to be a bit rough right back.

Quote:
Not necessarily true,
Actually, not true at all.......not by a long shot. They are no more or less a viable option that any other head out there......despite them being the red haired step child of the drumming fraternity.

Granted, they are not for everyone.....nor are they for every playing situation. But they serve a purpose........even for those of us who can tune. In fact, they're serving a purpose on my kit as we speak. Doesn't mean they'll stay there......but doesn't mean I can't tune an Ambassador either. :-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 03-28-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

I saw a picture of Matt Cameron in the studio recording the recent Soundgarden record and he was using Pinstripes on his oak Yamahas. I'm pretty sure he knows how to tune, and even if he didn't, he's got Gregg Keplinger teching for him most of the time (at least he used to) and I know he knows how to tune.

I used to use those heads, too, as did most drummers at some point if they've been playing since the '80s or before. They were still in wide use into the '90s, too, IIRC.

There is definitely a vibe you get with those heads. Black dots are the same in that they have a distinct quality about them. I never thought it had anything to do with whether or not one knew how to tune.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

I have certain drums that sound their best with a good ol' Pinstripe.
Undeserved "too muffled" head reputation...especially considering the likes of EC2. You want a REALLY muffled head, try an Aquarian Performance 2.

A coated ambassador is not always the best choice. I find my cheaper..uhh...cost effective drums with mystery wood sometimes benefit from a Pinstripe.
Also, there is no denying - Pinstripes love Yamaha Recording Customs for some reason. Still use them on my 12" and 14" RC toms.

A coated pin works on a snare drum too, when I'm looking for a drier fat sound.
As others have said, the other plus is no moon gel required :)

Neal
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Just wanted to make the point that i Love the good old pinstripe.My Kit Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute sounds great with them......... it had coated Abassadors,that were still in ok shape......To each his own......
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM
audiotech

I used the Remo Pinstripes in the seventies and don't believe that I've touched them since.

Dennis
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-customs View Post
Just wanted to make the point that i Love the good old pinstripe.My Kit Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute sounds great with them......... it had coated Abassadors,that were still in ok shape......To each his own......
That's all that matters... if you're happy with your sound. If we all tuned the same using the same heads, then we would all sound the same. Your sound is your sound.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

I used Pinstripes for all of the 80s and half the 90s; then, I got some that never sounded right. I switched to Evans and have been quite happy with them. I try others from time to time but always go back to Evans. This is just one guy's opinion. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Administrator

In my search for the Holy Grail, and my weakness in tuning, at the time I bought Pinstripes and thought they were great. However, as in a previous post I mention, that I had tried all of the Evans models and have gone back to the Coated G2 for batters. But as you say, your drums being different than mine, your ear being different, and your tuning being different, what you hear is what is important. In an effort not to waste the G14's I last had on the toms, I now use those as resos. I expected a dead sound but they sound as good as anything I've had there before. I was usning G1 clears for resos.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM

I used to use pinstripes all the time. Brand new out of the box, put them on, tune e'm up and they would sound great. The problem was about 3 or 4 months latter when they have some miles on them and have become chapped and calloused, they just seem to go dead and lose their tone.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM

My first drumkit I bought back in the winter of 1991 during my freshman year of high school was a "Blackhawk by Gretsch" at Sears.

It sounded like complete crap. Even as a new drummer, I knew that. I couldn't even tell you what kind of wood it was.

I bought clear Pinstripes for all the tom batters and Ebony Ambassadors for all the bottoms (yes I was a bit of a mark for Lars....I was also 13 yrs old).

These heads really made this low-budget beginners kit sound very good. I used it gigging on and off all the way up until 2008. Even experienced drummers would ask what kind of set it was, since there were no badges or anything. When I told them it was a Sears kit, they were shocked at the sound I was getting out of it.

I bought a Tama Silverstar (birch) last year, and just replaced the one-ply stock tom heads with the trusty old Pinstripes. The jury is still out......When playing alone, I like the Pins to eliminate some overtones, but with a rock band the overtones are masked during all but the mellowest of songs. The rest of the band says they sound great out front.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisDrummer View Post
My first drumkit I bought back in the winter of 1991 during my freshman year of high school was a "Blackhawk by Gretsch" at Sears.

It sounded like complete crap. Even as a new drummer, I knew that. I couldn't even tell you what kind of wood it was.

I bought clear Pinstripes for all the tom batters and Ebony Ambassadors for all the bottoms (yes I was a bit of a mark for Lars....I was also 13 yrs old).

These heads really made this low-budget beginners kit sound very good. I used it gigging on and off all the way up until 2008. Even experienced drummers would ask what kind of set it was, since there were no badges or anything. When I told them it was a Sears kit, they were shocked at the sound I was getting out of it.
Aw yeah! I had one of those kits too, and Pinstripes is what I did with it. They sounded great.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Aw yeah! I had one of those kits too, and Pinstripes is what I did with it. They sounded great.
Wow....I didn't think anyone else owned that kit (or would at least admit it!)

Cool thing was that they offered an extra bass drum in the Sears catalog too so I bought that. I had NO BUSINESS playing double bass as a beginner drummer.

I gigged on and off for 16 years with a Sears kit....and Zildjian A cymbals, Tama hardware, and DW 5000 pedals and DW 5500 hi hat stand. Oh did I mention it was a Sears kit? It was $300 in the catalog. 2 of my cymbals were worth more than my entire kit!

After we took a hiatus in 2008, I left it at my bandmate's house. They pulled me out of drummer retirement last January and to me dismay, all the metal on the kit was badly rusted and I said, "to hell with it" and bought my Tama. I still have one of the original bass drum heads in my mom's basement as my memento of my first kit.

Sorry for the thread hijack.....moral of the story is Pinstripes can help!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:23 AM

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between Pinstripes and Powerstrokes?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetadraw View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between Pinstripes and Powerstrokes?
Pinstripes simply have the ink around the head, 7mil on both plies. I don't know if that's all Remo does for muffling or if there's an additional muffling element inbetween the plies, between the hoop and the ink circle, but eh.

Powerstroke 3s are single ply 10mil heads with a little muffling ring tucked inside the collar. Powerstroke 4s are two-ply, but I'm not sure of the thickness of the plies. Probably 7-mil on both.

Powerstrokes generally have more muffling.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Pinstripe heads are directly bonded to each other between the two plies at the edge. That's the difference as far as I'm aware.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Pinstripe heads are directly bonded to each other between the two plies at the edge. That's the difference as far as I'm aware.
Ah, okay. Figures, as I was try to deduct what the filmy look at the edge of mine is. I suppose the reason the Pinstripes sound less muffled than the Powerstrokes is because the plies are bonded like that & resonate as a whole, yet the Powerstrokes are louder and seem more muffled perhaps because their 'second ply' (the dampening ring) is unable to carry vibration across itself like regular heads & isn't glued to the top ply. Ironically, the head with more glue and material has more sustain that the one without.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia View Post
or if there's an additional muffling element inbetween the plies, between the hoop and the ink circle, but eh.
Yeah there is actually. Remo call it a "ring reducing agent" on their site. But it looks like little white flecks of tissue paper. No idea what it is, but it's there and it's intention is to act as a dampener of some description.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM

On my Ludwig Vistalites I have pinstripes on my tom batters, I think they suit these drums exceptionally well.

I have ambassadors as reso heads, and when setting up the drums recently I experimented a little and tried using them as batters. I must say that the ambassadors didn't sound nearly as good when I used them as batter side heads, the pinstripes really bring out the "better" tones from the acrylic.

Also something about that look (pinstripes) just speaks to me. Classic.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM

I used pinstripes as tom batters on my first drum kit ($100 kit) and they sounded ok. Really short and fat sound. No tone at all (that's the drums' fault too). I wouldn't use them on my kit, I like more tone, brightness and resonance (currently running clear emperors over clear ambassadors).

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Pinstripes - one of the best repair patches for afflicted drums ever :)
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Good, we've established we both like it a bit rough. So allow me to be a bit rough right back.

Actually, not true at all.......not by a long shot. They are no more or less a viable option that any other head out there......despite them being the red haired step child of the drumming fraternity.
I feel bad... I was drunk and in a bad mood. My apologies to anyone concerned, for writing such an unfriendly message on an otherwise very friendly forum.

Still, I'll never use such a muffled drumhead again, for toms and snare at least. :)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I feel bad... I was drunk and in a bad mood. My apologies to anyone concerned, for writing such an unfriendly message on an otherwise very friendly forum.

Still, I'll never use such a muffled drumhead again, for toms and snare at least. :)
Hey no need at all mate. Not offended by any measure.....nor do I particularly feel the need to jump to the defence of a Pinstripe either. Just some friendly banter for the sake of it.

The smilie should always be taken as a sign that I'm either joking, half joking, making a point but with good intentions or just playin' around for the sheer fun of if. :-)
Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 AM

New Pinstripes sound kinda cool. But when they get some wear on them, they sound kinda dull. They are greatt for practice kits, as they last longer than single ply heads.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:45 AM

Here in Central Mexico, you really canīt get better drumheads than Clear Remo Pinstripes. Iīm not saying it like itīs a bad thing. I mean, itīs an unfair lack of varioty if you just happen to be the kind of person who prefers to use other drumheads. Where Iīm at, majority of the drummers (including myself) play Banda Sinaloense... it seems to be the type of style that plays best, and really canīt go wrong with Clear Remo Pinstripes. They even put them on snare drums here. This is apparently strange to most you, but to me, I look at it as normal now. We also put them on a set of LP Tito Puente Thunder Timbales, and like I said, It just canīt go wrong. I mean you have to tape toilet paper (because moon gels apparently dont exist here) to the bigger 16Ļ Timbaleīs drumhead to muffle it even more than what it aready is, I dont think I could really explain why... but other than that, if you just happen to play this style of music, Clear Remo Pinstripes will do wonders for you.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 PM

I remember 20 years ago when I started playing being told that if you don't have a high end kit, Pinstripes will definitely help you with your sound. So true. I used them on cheaper kits until I came back into playing a few years ago and bought a high end kit. My DW's are incredibly easy to tune with single ply heads and sound great. I do remember getting a nice tone out of pinstripes for low to medium end kits. I was really pleased with them. I just don't like them on snares at all. Hell, I've seen em on high end kits too. I guess it's down to preference.