DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Adjustable bass drum beaters

Meaning an adjustable hammer. I've searched older threads, and I can't believe I didn't see any thing on this. The beater on my DW 9000 pedal....it has to go past 12:00 before it makes contact with the head. I feel I am working too hard, and would like to find a beater with an adjustable hammer so I can close the gap with a hammer adjustment. My 9000 does not slide onto my bass drum hoop as far as I'd like, and as a result, when the beater is at the 12:00 position, the hammer is still like an inch away from the head. I saw only one adjustable beater on the net, and that's it. It had a plastic wing nut which didn't strike up my confidence so I was wondering if any of the good people out there has a beater with an adjustable hammer. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Adjustable bass drum beaters

Would this help your issue?

Musicians friend
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Well that's the style yes, thank-you, and although I don't see it that well, (could be the round thing) one review said that this exact beater has a plastic wing nut, which sounds like a disaster to me. So I was hoping there were more choices, which I struck out on locating. I think every beater should have this adjustment. If I could get it and upgrade the offending part with something that will work well and last...well, I do that on a regular basis with anything that needs a little help, so unless there are no other choices, I'd get it and mod it. (if it really needed modding)
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Administrator

From a user:

This is a great beater for specific applications, and it works great, if set-up correctly. The biggest complaint (among other reviewers) is the head loosening up. I spoke with the engineers at Axis, who explained the photograph shows the wrong set-up. The head (tightening knob) MUST be rotated off to the side (at either the 3 or 9'o'clock position ... simple enough)), NOT at the top (12'o'clock position), as pictured. This will alleviate ALL head-loosening problems. I play an 18" Gretsch Catalina bass drum, and with a 'normal' pedal set-up (because the head is so small), the beater strikes too close to the top. So, I got a Gibralter bass drum riser, which works (and looks)great, but the pedal now is too far away from the head. The Axis Sonic Hammer was the PERFECT solution (with its adjustable head extension). It is a touch on the heavy side, but (with the cork pad), packs a real whollop ... the neighbors are even noticing. The Axis tech suggested trimming the excess (back end) off the head rod, to save weight. The felt pad is 'warmer' sound, and also has a slight problem: It was impossible to cleanly peel the paper off the sticky part (from the back of the felt), leaving me with no choice but to glue it on. Also, there's no way to swap the felt/cork pads w/o ruining the stick'um. Overall, this is a VERY durable product, which was the PERFECT solution to my situation. It looks and sounds GREAT! The Axis people were VERY helpful, and I'd definitely recommend The Sonic Hammer.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
From a user:

This is a great beater for specific applications, and it works great, if set-up correctly. The biggest complaint (among other reviewers) is the head loosening up. I spoke with the engineers at Axis, who explained the photograph shows the wrong set-up. The head (tightening knob) MUST be rotated off to the side (at either the 3 or 9'o'clock position ... simple enough)), NOT at the top (12'o'clock position), as pictured. This will alleviate ALL head-loosening problems. I play an 18" Gretsch Catalina bass drum, and with a 'normal' pedal set-up (because the head is so small), the beater strikes too close to the top. So, I got a Gibralter bass drum riser, which works (and looks)great, but the pedal now is too far away from the head. The Axis Sonic Hammer was the PERFECT solution (with its adjustable head extension). It is a touch on the heavy side, but (with the cork pad), packs a real whollop ... the neighbors are even noticing. The Axis tech suggested trimming the excess (back end) off the head rod, to save weight. The felt pad is 'warmer' sound, and also has a slight problem: It was impossible to cleanly peel the paper off the sticky part (from the back of the felt), leaving me with no choice but to glue it on. Also, there's no way to swap the felt/cork pads w/o ruining the stick'um. Overall, this is a VERY durable product, which was the PERFECT solution to my situation. It looks and sounds GREAT! The Axis people were VERY helpful, and I'd definitely recommend The Sonic Hammer.
My Catalina Club Jazz kit came with this Gibraltar riser. It sounds like it was the same as yours, the plate stuck out too far from the riser. I solved that by unscrewing two main pieces from each other (the bracket that mounts to the drum and the L-shaped part that the pedal attaches to), swapping them so that instead of the pedal mount being "in front of" the bass drum mounting bracket it was "behind" it, and screwing them back together.

I hope that makes sense, I don't have that kit any more so I'm not able to take pictures of it.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Larry, is your bass drum slightly raised from the ground at the front of the drum (reso side), as it help reduce the course of the beater to strike the batter head.

You can also adjust the angle of the beater on the pedal without changing the angle of the footboard and the spring tension, this would displaced the course of the beater without affecting the feel of the pedal, ie: with the same amount of foot pressure, what was previously the 12:00 position will become the 13:00 position of the beater, if you get my meaning.

These 2 suggestions added together could resolve your problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Larry, is your bass drum slightly raised from the ground at the front of the drum (reso side), as it help reduce the course of the beater to strike the batter head.

You can also adjust the angle of the beater on the pedal without changing the angle of the footboard and the spring tension, this would displaced the course of the beater without affecting the feel of the pedal, ie: with the same amount of foot pressure, what was previously the 12:00 position will become the 13:00 position of the beater, if you get my meaning.

These 2 suggestions added together could resolve your problem.
Thanks for the suggestions Henri. I don't like my bass drum raised up in the front. I want equal pressure on my counter hoops. I want my batter head perpendicular to the floor as much as possible. I don't want my beater traveling past the 12:00 position. Waaa lol. Even though your suggestions would probably work, they offend my sense of...well I'm not sure what sense they offend, but something would be offended lol.

I like the Sonic Hammer solution. Heck, I could even adjust it so the beater doesn't even make it to 12:00. I'm not sure that's necessary, but for all I know, I might like that.

Mainly, I wanted to see if there were any other beaters that have a similar solution, to select the one that's best engineered.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't like my bass drum raised up in the front. I want equal pressure on my counter hoops.
Fair do Larry, it was exactly that: ...only suggestions :)

However, you do realise the batter hoop is raised from the ground because of the pedal attachment going underneath it, just ensure the front end of the shell is raised of the same amount, you can check it with a spirit level :)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Fair do Larry, it was exactly that: ...only suggestions :)

However, you do realise the batter hoop is raised from the ground because of the pedal attachment going underneath it, just ensure the front end of the shell is raised of the same amount, you can check it with a spirit level :)
Yea, I do raise the front hoop up about 3/8ths of an inch, or just under 1 cm so it sits even. I want my hammer to strike on a 90 degree angle too. I never really addressed this issue before, but I am now. Trying to be as efficient as possible. I am working harder than I have to sometimes. I have been noticing the fatigue when I play a driving heel down shuffle pattern on the bass pedal. I mean it's always been there, but I am trying to re think things a bit. I never really experimented much. I only noticed that my beater goes past 12:00 just last week. I understand that the DW beater is heavy by comparison to others. So I want a lighter beater that doesn't go past noon. Anything to make my job easier, without sacrificing anything, is all good to me.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

that's one feature I really like about the Malleus pedal. You can adjust the beater mounting position, & also adjust the entire pedal orientation to the hoop. That's what you get when stuff is designed by drummers :)
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
that's one feature I really like about the Malleus pedal. You can adjust the beater mounting position, & also adjust the entire pedal orientation to the hoop. That's what you get when stuff is designed by drummers :)
Actually, the Malleus pedal thread is the thing that made me start re-thinking things. The adjustment you point out is a great consideration. If I am able to do do my job with less fatigue, well that's the goal. I was thinking of getting a Malleus, but TBH, I could achieve the same goals with the Sonic Hammer. I still may get a Malleus in the future, but for now, I'm gonna try this route. Your opinions are very influential to me Andy.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Actually, the Malleus pedal thread is the thing that made me start re-thinking things. The adjustment you point out is a great consideration. If I am able to do do my job with less fatigue, well that's the goal. I was thinking of getting a Malleus, but TBH, I could achieve the same goals with the Sonic Hammer. I still may get a Malleus in the future, but for now, I'm gonna try this route. Your opinions are very influential to me Andy.
Heck, stubborn Larry, changing the angle of your beater will do exactly the same, no change in feel and less fatigue... and free!!!

What's that proverb again? you can take a horse to the river... :):):)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Heck, stubborn Larry, changing the angle of your beater will do exactly the same, no change in feel and less fatigue... and free!!!

What's that proverb again? you can take a horse to the river... :):):)
But I don't like the beater hitting on anything other than a 90 degree angle. If I am going to spend time with this issue, I want the end result to be: bass drum batter head on a 90 degree angle in relation to the floor, pedal hammer to strike the batter head so the beater shaft does not go past 12:00, pedal hammer to strike the bass drum batter head at a 90 degree angle, so as not to prematurely wear the batter head by an angled hammer.

Will changing the beater angle accomplish this? I'm being serious, because maybe I don't quite understand what you are suggesting. If my DW pedals could move closer to the batter head, this wouldn't be an issue. But the casting is designed in such a way that my pedal can only go so far onto the hoop. It doesn't go on the hoop all the way, and as a result, the beater shaft has to go past 12:00 to make contact. Not good enough. And the proverb is: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Either way, I'm a horse in this scenario lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Well, when my lower back was making my playing painful and uncomfortable, I broke all my rules and applied new ones... if I knew the benefit it would make, not only the painless experience it achieved, but to my playing in general, I would have done it ages ago, despite the kit looking a bit funny now :)

It's only a mean to an end, and no one will ever noticed you've changed slightly your pedal setting...

Quote:
...pedal hammer to strike the bass drum batter head at a 90 degree angle, so as not to prematurely wear the batter head by an angled hammer.
I hear you Larry, for this you simply use the Tama beaters, they come in felt, wood and rubber, the beauty of them, you can adjust the angle of the beater on the shaft, so even if the beater travel past the 12:00 position, it still hit the head at 90 angle.

Here's the Tama beaters...

They have a sliding weight on the shaft, so you can easily reproduce the same feel and weight of your DW beater.

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Either way, I'm a horse in this scenario lol.
I wasn't implying you're a horse Uncle Larry, just saying you were a bit stubborn (in my eyes only, of course)

:)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

OK the Tama beaters...good idea to have the hammer angle adjustable. But if the shaft still has to go past 12:00, it's still not good enough for me. Unless I'm missing something. Also, I'm not looking to replicate the feel of the DW beater, I'm actually looking to lighten my load.

So the 3 criteria that must all be met for me to be satisfied... 90 degree head, 90 degree hammer strike angle, and the beater shaft not going past 12:00. Does the Tama beater do all that? I think it will fail on the beater shaft angle. The Sonic hammer has all that covered it seems. I appreciate your help Henri. But I believe I need all 3 of those things to have a truly satisfying foot pedal experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
The Sonic hammer has all that covered it seems. I appreciate your help Henri. But I believe I need all 3 of those things to have a truly satisfying foot pedal experience.
You're most welcome my friend...

... yes, the Sonic hammer seems to fit the bill, you can even adjust the beater angle on the horizontal shaft (ball adjustment), so you could even set slightly to the right or the left if the needs arise.

Only time will tell Larry... good luck with the experiment :)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

I'm totally with you on this idea Larry. MAD himself even proposed this idea to me initially, that the way our hands and sticks work, could be transferred to our feet. And ideally, the stick would hit a drum head at a 90 degree angle for the most natural rebound, likewise should the bassdrum beater hit the head at a 90 degree angle! By the way MAD, if you remember our conversation regarding not burying the beater, it's getting easier and easier ;)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm doing it from an efficient standpoint first (less fatigue) and a head standpoint 2nd. You want that hammer parallel to the head when it strikes for maximum head life, and I think an added benefit would be the best tone. I already ordered some, and I will post my results. I've been using a 5000 for 10 years straight at the gigs, with the stock DW beater, so there ya go. I do have a 9000 at home. A lighter hammer would probably be enough right there to eliminate fatigue, but I want to go all the way with it and rethink all of the factors.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm doing it from an efficient standpoint first (less fatigue) and a head standpoint 2nd. You want that hammer parallel to the head when it strikes for maximum head life, and I think an added benefit would be the best tone. I already ordered some, and I will post my results. I've been using the same DW 5000 for 10 years straight now at the gigs, with the stock DW beater, so there ya go. Pretty used to a heavy beater. A lighter hammer would probably be enough right there to eliminate fatigue, but I want to go all the way with it and rethink all of the factors.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Sonic Hammer with stainless steel shaft weighs in at 4.5 oz

Stainless steel
Old 03-27-2013, 05:05 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
I'm totally with you on this idea Larry. MAD himself even proposed this idea to me initially, that the way our hands and sticks work, could be transferred to our feet. And ideally, the stick would hit a drum head at a 90 degree angle for the most natural rebound, likewise should the bassdrum beater hit the head at a 90 degree angle! By the way MAD, if you remember our conversation regarding not burying the beater, it's getting easier and easier ;)
I do recall our discussion Sjogras, and while it's true that you can transfer some of the principle of your hands to your feet as far as emulating the movements, with your hands you do not hit a drum head on a snare or a tom at 90 angle, it's impossible, you'll hit the rim before you'll hit the head, you apply a small angle to the stick, at best you'll produce a rimshot, but the stick is still hitting at an angle.

The discussion on this thread made me check my beater, and it hits the head just a fraction after the 12:00 position, it's almost negligible, about a 1/4 of an inch, not something that would make a lot of difference if was hitting at the 12:00 position, I'd say it wouldn't make no difference whatsoever.

However, it is possible to hit the bass drum head at a 90 angle by fitting the Sonic hammer on the pedal.

Furthermore there's a lot you can do to make the current setting of your pedal, adjusting both the beater angle, the footboard angle and the spring tension can easily make your pedal more efficient without any expenses Larry, do not forget, simply fitting a lighter beater without changing your current setting will affect the feel and the response of the pedal as a whole, and you might not like the end results, it could affect the control and the accuracy of your strokes.

You've played with your current setting for years, perhaps just a bit of tweaking with the adjustments will achieve what your aiming for, if the ultimate goal is to feel less fatigue while playing with a smoother feel, your current pedal and beater is perfectly capable of achieving it, just a little patience and experiment and you'll be there, completely free of charge.

Right, now I'm done with the "trying to convince Larry" comments, lol, it's entirely up to you Uncle Larry :)

Cool to hear that your improving on the rebound technique Sjogras, keep it up :)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Why does it matter that the beater shaft be at 12-o'clock when it hits the head? If you just want to "close the gap" why not adjust the beater angle forward so the travel from rest to head is the same as it is from rest to 12-o'clock.

You can, of course, take any old beater and bend the bottom of the shaft forward so that it hits the head as you wish, as well as bend the top of the shaft back so that beater head hits square.

I've used the Sonic Hammer beater before, no complaints. If it does what you need, don't overthink things, and just buy one to try out.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Why does it matter that the beater shaft be at 12-o'clock when it hits the head?

It's just an ideal I have in my mind. I have no proof, but in my mind, this should be the most ideal scenario. I get what you guys are saying, just adjust the beater starting position, but I have this thing where I want all factors to be ideal, according to me. I don't know for sure if a beater shaft at 12:00 would feel better than a beater shaft at 1:00, it's just an educated guess. I like precision. Going past 12:00 isn't precision in my mind. It's the German in me that always strives for the most logical, most precise way of doing something.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
"Uncle Larry"

So I got a pair of the Axis Sonic Hammers today. My favorite beater of all time used to be a cork beater that I had sanded flat. That got lost to time somewhere. I was pleased to see that one of the pads that Axis supplied was cork. The other one was felt. They are both totally flat discs, no radius on the striking surface. I like that as to get maximum contact area with the flat head.

So I peeled the paper backing off the cork pad and stuck it on the hammer, nothing to it. Put the beater on the pedal, and tightened it down. Then I got the beater shaft to 12:00 and tightened the hammer adjustment shaft down with a drum key operated stud located right on the top, nice and easy. The new hammer edge was a full inch and a quarter forward of where my DW hammer edge was at 12:00. That's the part that I got fatigued on, stretching the spring more than I had to. Heel down that makes a difference.

The hammer itself is universal because it swivels on a ball, and it's that detail, coupled with the adjustable hammer shaft, that makes this an ideal design for a beater IMO. It can change the feel of any pedal. Needless to say, I immediately felt like it was easier, lighter actually, more natural feeling, and best of all, I liked the tone better. There's more contact area than with my bigger DW beater. So I felt right off the bat that it was a definite improvement.

Interestingly enough, I weighed both the DW beater and the Axis Sonic Hammer. The DW weighed in at 106 grams. The Sonic Hammer? 128.

The difference is that on the Axis beater, the shaft is where most of the weight is, and on the DW, the hammer is where most of the weight is. So the Axis, while heavier, feels lighter to play because it isn't nearly as top heavy as the DW.

The plastic wingnut I read the bad review on...it's actually a metal thread with a plastic wing on it. They should have used a metal wing too. But it could easily be replaced with something else, if it even becomes an issue. I don't think it's a 10/24 thread though, it looks coarser. At any rate, I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be a nice improvement indeed, as long as the wingnut thing holds.

And Henri, just for the record, with the beater shaft at say 1:00, as long as the hammer is hitting perfect...I probably couldn't tell the diff...it's more of nit pick thing that I obsess about. Plus it's easier to adjust the hammer shaft than the whole beater angle, especially for those times when you are using your pedal on a different kit with different width hoops.

I give this thing an A+. I will be getting some for every pedal now, I like the non top heavy feel. Any wingnut issue can be easily addressed.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Cool, nice that you had good results. Sounds like you found a way to lighten up your pedal feel quite a good bit. Lighter is quicker with less effort. Any difference in tone or volume with the different beater? And I bet that thumbscrew won't matter at all; with everything at nice square angles. I can imagine the beater slipping loose.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea Soupy, I noticed a more authoritative thump with the new beater. I'd say the volume is about the same, but the tone is more satisfying. I like the cork sound. It's the little things that make the difference. No one else would probably notice. I do though, as the player.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
And Henri, just for the record, with the beater shaft at say 1:00, as long as the hammer is hitting perfect...I probably couldn't tell the diff...it's more of nit pick thing that I obsess about....
I thought so TBH Larry, I'm very nit picking and a perfectionist myself when it comes to the adjustments of my pedal(s).

Quote:
Yea Soupy, I noticed a more authoritative thump with the new beater. I'd say the volume is about the same, but the tone is more satisfying. I like the cork sound. It's the little things that make the difference. No one else would probably notice. I do though, as the player.
I was wondering about how it would affect the sound, I'm please to hear the new beater gives more thump (providing that's what you want, of course) as the weight of beaters can dramatically change the perceived sound, projection and feel, so good stuff all round Uncle Larry, yes, little thing can make a huge difference sometimes :)