DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,439
Default Speaking of Tony Williams....

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere here yet, but I found this on YouTube. It's Tony Williams and his quintet performing Sister Cheryl in New York. I've always loved his solo prior to the beginning of the song. The man had control, and wrote wonderful music to boot!

Check it out - it sounds good, but you might want headphones to get the full effect of his black dot heads!

A version of this was also recorded for his Tokyo Live CD, which I lost. Now when I try to find it, you can't touch it for less than $35 on Amazon. Dang it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTUBecbl7Gs

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

this has been saved in my favorites for a few years

I pray at the alter of Anthony WIlliams

those Gretsch sound killer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,439
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
this has been saved in my favorites for a few years

I pray at the alter of Anthony WIlliams

those Gretsch sound killer
He's the reason so many guys got into three floor toms, eh?

Too bad the yellow, red, and black dot look didn't take off for everybody ;)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

I think I've seen pretty much everything available on YouTube that features Tony. He was just a massive influence on me. He did write some great music, too. I love the stuff he wrote for Miles' 2nd 5tet, like Pee Wee,and Hand Jive.

He played in so many groups and left his mark on everything he played on. I did love that quintet with Wallace and Tokyo Live was a great record. I still listen to it all the time!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
....I did love that quintet with Wallace and Tokyo Live was a great record. I still listen to it all the time!
Absolute killer album!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 AM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 592
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

All hail Tony Williams!!!

What else can you say?!?

-John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 AM
MikeM's Avatar
MikeM MikeM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,729
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Long live large drum sizes! That really reinforces my preference of going big and tight over small and loose. Such attack and tone! Digging the dots, too; they really shine on a kit like that.
__________________
><Darwin> Recent band.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,177
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

First 2:10 or so leading into that first big entrance -- goose bumps. And then SO SMOOTH. Great video, great find.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 AM
aaajn's Avatar
aaajn aaajn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 640
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere here yet, but I found this on YouTube. It's Tony Williams and his quintet performing Sister Cheryl in New York. I've always loved his solo prior to the beginning of the song. The man had control, and wrote wonderful music to boot!

Check it out - it sounds good, but you might want headphones to get the full effect of his black dot heads!

A version of this was also recorded for his Tokyo Live CD, which I lost. Now when I try to find it, you can't touch it for less than $35 on Amazon. Dang it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTUBecbl7Gs

Enjoy!
I found this tune a few weeks ago. Made my life better
__________________
"I said, "I'm crazy ma, help me." She said, "I know how it feels son, 'Cause it runs in the family."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
aaajn's Avatar
aaajn aaajn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 640
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

That kit is 80's arena rock credible and he plays it so great. I found this sound a few weeks ago as earlier stated but with Wynton and Ron Carter on bass. My drum teacher is focusing on my listening skills, particularly the bass. When I heard Ron Carter, I had a moment.

This version just soars too.

Ba Bump Ba Bump Ba Bump.....

Thanks for finding and sharing.
__________________
"I said, "I'm crazy ma, help me." She said, "I know how it feels son, 'Cause it runs in the family."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,707
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Great music, incredible drumming. Many players have killer chops but hardly any of them sound even close to as good as Tony does.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Gary Husband's Avatar
Gary Husband Gary Husband is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London
Posts: 54
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Here was my thought for the day on Tony Williams, only this morning...

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...3&notif_t=like
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Husband View Post
Here was my thought for the day on Tony Williams, only this morning...

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...3&notif_t=like
Beautiful. He evokes that kind of deep, meaningful response from so many drummers. That clip you posted is one of my favorites.

One of the most eye-opening moments of my musical life was when a friend put on a recording of the Miles Davis Complete '64 Concert, My Funny Valentine + Four & More. Tony's playing on that record just transformed my understanding of the drum set from that point forward.

Gary, for what it's worth, I think that spirit of creativity and fearlessness that Tony had very much lives on in your music. One of the most memorable concerts I've attended was a show you played with Allan Holdsworth at Alvin's in Detroit back in the mid-90s. The energy was off-the-charts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Gary Husband's Avatar
Gary Husband Gary Husband is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London
Posts: 54
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Thanks 8Mile!

Very interesting. Four & More was also for me the first time hearing Tony!

That was some discovery, and a big turning point in my conception of what could be done... and what HE had brought about.

best wishes,

GH
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Man, oh, man, the things you can stumble upon!

Guys, get a load of this. http://youtu.be/CLexLS0dSP4

A trio date with Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. But it's Tony playing in a much more traditional, bebop style. This was cut in 1983, but Tony's playing is radically different. It is still unmistakably Tony, and his sound is still very identifiable, but man, it's quite a departure hearing Tony play these old standards so close to the tradition of the drummers who originally played them.

I found the one track on YouTube, but the whole album is terrific so far!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

What kills me is the drumming here comes from a style that pre-dates even what Tony was doing in the early 60s. I hear a lot more triplet-based stuff... things Tony used only sparsely in his early dates. The things he always kind of left out to form his own sound, he leaves them in on this record. Fascinating, and I somehow never heard this one before.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 541
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere here yet, but I found this on YouTube. It's Tony Williams and his quintet performing Sister Cheryl in New York. I've always loved his solo prior to the beginning of the song. The man had control, and wrote wonderful music to boot!
I have this on DVD and I find myself watching it more that most other "drummer" videos I have. The whole set is just killin'

Tony was a magical player...no doubt. Four and more changed me in so many ways...like most of us I'm sure.

And yes, the Tommy Flanagan recording is great as well. You're right that it is a departure of his normal playing...might have something to do with Ron Carter. His playing always seemed to pull different ideas out of my mind while listening...more traditional ideas.

Beautiful!

D
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 592
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Husband View Post
Here was my thought for the day on Tony Williams, only this morning...

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...3&notif_t=like
"The last thing I was ever conscious of was whatever technique he had."

Perfect.

And from 8Miles:
Guys, get a load of this. http://youtu.be/CLexLS0dSP4

He sounds like he's having a ball playing on this. What a treat!

Also, what Derek Roddy just said (my browser was open too long and didn't see the post).

-John
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Man, oh, man, the things you can stumble upon!

Guys, get a load of this. http://youtu.be/CLexLS0dSP4

A trio date with Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. But it's Tony playing in a much more traditional, bebop style. This was cut in 1983, but Tony's playing is radically different. It is still unmistakably Tony, and his sound is still very identifiable, but man, it's quite a departure hearing Tony play these old standards so close to the tradition of the drummers who originally played them.

I found the one track on YouTube, but the whole album is terrific so far!
wow!!

how have I never heard this.......Ron Carter is blowing my mind on this date
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
And yes, the Tommy Flanagan recording is great as well. You're right that it is a departure of his normal playing...might have something to do with Ron Carter. His playing always seemed to pull different ideas out of my mind while listening...more traditional ideas.

Beautiful!

D
Great point, Derek. When Ron and Tony left Miles, they went in different directions. Tony went in his fusion direction with Lifetime, but Ron stayed more in the tradition in his subsequent work.

Tony sounds like he's being an accompanist to Ron and Tommy here, trying to defer to them. I can't ever remember him riding hi-hats so much, and his snare is tuned much different, much looser tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,439
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
I have this on DVD and I find myself watching it more that most other "drummer" videos I have. The whole set is just killin'

Tony was a magical player...no doubt. Four and more changed me in so many ways...like most of us I'm sure.

And yes, the Tommy Flanagan recording is great as well. You're right that it is a departure of his normal playing...might have something to do with Ron Carter. His playing always seemed to pull different ideas out of my mind while listening...more traditional ideas.

Beautiful!

D
Hey Derek - what DVD is this from and is it still available anywhere? I'd love to get the whole concert. I listen to alot of Tony, but I never get to see much.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 592
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Forgive me if this has been posted before. Even so...

Tony doing a short solo from a concert with Miles, 1966:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_sR-TDlIKo


And his touch with a piano trio:
Nardis Hank Jones (p) Ron Carter (b) Tony Williams (d). From Live at the Village Vanguard, 1977:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI7teUTJHh8

-John
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 541
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Hey Derek - what DVD is this from and is it still available anywhere? I'd love to get the whole concert. I listen to alot of Tony, but I never get to see much.
That was from the live at the blue note New York.
A buddy of mine had it on VHS and he transferred it to DVD and gave me a copy.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough.... Somebody has it for sale somewhere. Haha.

D
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,439
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
That was from the live at the blue note New York.
A buddy of mine had it on VHS and he transferred it to DVD and gave me a copy.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough.... Somebody has it for sale somewhere. Haha.

D
Actually I did scour around a little bit and found someone who had the Japanese LaserDisc of the concert and is making DVD-R's from it. But you didn't hear that from me.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Mr. Compactness Mr. Compactness is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 112
Default Re: Speaking of Tony Williams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Actually I did scour around a little bit and found someone who had the Japanese LaserDisc of the concert and is making DVD-R's from it. But you didn't hear that from me.
The whole thing is on YouTube though Parts 1 & 2 don't seem to pick up where the previous leaves off, but still, go to keepvid.com save it and burn it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJoTY0GE8M
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com