DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default For dad

Hey everybody,

So it's been 6 months since dad passed away, and of course, as good things keep happening, there's always this tinge of loss in the background that I know will probably never go away.

But I wanted to post my newest acquisition that will help remind me dad's still around. When I was child (about 7 or so), mom and dad got me my first set of Slingerland's (an old beat-up gold sparkle thing my uncle sold to them for $50). It was really just a bass drum, a japanese snare in blue, and a rack tom, but I did score a Speed King pedal and my first set of New Beats. I played the crap out of that thing until I was 13. At that point, I recall dad telling me that if it was good enough for Buddy Rich, it was good enough me, and mom and dad took me to Drum City in Hollywood to get a black 5-piece Slingerland (one of those single-headed kits) with a chrome snare. And I played that kit all through high school until I graduated in 1984 and went to the Japanese craze that everyone did at the time. (As a side note, at that age, I was not yet aware that the Professional Drum Shop was RIGHT around the corner from Drum City!)

So I found and bought these the other day:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281053752860...84.m1439.l2649

It's a black Slingerland three piece - 9x13, 16x16 and 14x22 bass drum in gloss black. The previous owner did mods to it which is exactly what I did to my black Slingerlands back in the day. I also changed out the spurs and the floor tom leg brackets on my old kit because frankly, the Slingerland stuff just wasn't up to snuff - I think I stripped a floor tom bracket and the original Slingerland spurs did nothing to arrest the forward creeping. It's got new heads on it, he doesn't have the original tom hoops, and I can probably live with it. But I can find Slingerland stick saver hoops if I want to really finish it out.

I also found a pristine 6.5x14 COB Slingerland Buddy Rich snare with the famed TDR strainer (an upgrade from the old chrome Slingerland with Zoomatic I had originally) so I picked that up too. I also found a guy in Canada making Slingerland logo stickers (small ones, not the gaudy big ones everyone seems to make) so a trip to the shop to get a smooth white ambassador head and, instant 1960s logo head!

I wanted to point out that since I'm into separate stands for everything, getting into vintage drums is not a huge headache. The old Slingerland tom mounts, spurs, floor tom brackets, once the pinnacle of drum technology back in the 60s, really didn't cut it for me back in 1978, when music took on a much more 'athletic' approach. And Pro Drum used to do mods like this all the time when you could actually order a drum from Ludwig without a tom mount or spurs and Pro Drum would install what you wanted instead. So I'm looking forward to playing drums from my youth without the hardware headaches inherent with them!

I'll post pictures when I actually see them next week, but I wanted to let everybody know that this latest acquisition really has a nostalgic meaning for me. And its funny to note that some time ago, when dad came over to my new house and saw all the drums, he quipped that I'd probably come full circle at some point (a thing parents seem to know). I will honor my parents by gigging this kit when I get it. I think its a fitting tribute to the parents, especially dad who was more into the brands and the gear than mom was, who let me play whenever I wanted to play, helped with driving me around for gigs, paid for lessons, and always reminded that there was a lawn to mow and trash to put out whenever I started feeling cocky about making it as a musician. It sorta brings a tear to me eye. Thanks dad.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: For dad

A most touching, appropriate, & beautiful tribute to your father. I'm sure he's smiling, & I hope that fills you with an inner smile too. You have no idea how much your post resonates with me. My prototype kit is called Betty.

Bless you - you're a good man.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Great story....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
So it's been 6 months since dad passed away, and of course, as good things keep happening, there's always this tinge of loss in the background that I know will probably never go away.
The loss I don't think ever goes away. Just today while driving in the car I said to my 4.5 year old daughter who never ever got to meet her grandfather how much I miss my dad. He died in 2000 and the loss is still felt.

Like yourself, my dad got me into playing and I have a couple elements of his original 1940's Ludwig set I managed to salvage within the last year. I've set it up a few times and paid tribute to him playing songs he dug.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Bo, that's a really nice tribute to your Dad.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Anthony Amodeo

great tribute

nice kit for a good price
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks. I'm keeping it a secret from the family until I actually get it. I doubt many of the family will remember what the heck I was playing when I was a kid, but mom, the wife, and I will know. That's all that matters right now. Come to think of it, I can't believe my wife has been with me since those days when we hauled that old black Slingerland around playing in failed punk bands. That lady deserves an award!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Come to think of it, I can't believe my wife has been with me since those days when we hauled that old black Slingerland around playing in failed punk bands. That lady deserves an award!
Same with my wife, only not punk bands :)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Same with my wife, only not punk bands :)
Well, she is still quite the punk these days!

BTW - I went ahead and ordered Slingerland hoops for the kit. You can't have a Slingerland kit and not have those unique hoops! Drumfactory didn't have everything I needed though, it appears I bought their last 13" Slingerland hoop. If anyone here has one they're willing to let go, please let me know ;)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Great story Bo. I too was looking at those Slingerlands to add to my collection but couldn't afford not justify it. I'll get seom one day soon. Best kit I've played so far is a late 60s white marine pearl Slingerland kit. Great deal you got there. Take some more pics when you get it all set up..m And psot your request for hoops voer at www.vintagedrumforum.com I'm sure someone can help :)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Beautiful tribute. Beautiful Set! I've never had the good fortune to play a vintage Slingerland set, but I hear they're wonderful drums. Can't wait to see (hear?) more.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Great story Bo. I too was looking at those Slingerlands to add to my collection but couldn't afford not justify it. I'll get seom one day soon. Best kit I've played so far is a late 60s white marine pearl Slingerland kit. Great deal you got there. Take some more pics when you get it all set up..m And psot your request for hoops voer at www.vintagedrumforum.com I'm sure someone can help :)
Thanks for the tip. But I'm sure Pro Drum might have at least one in the shop somewhere. I'm going out there this week to get the smooth white PS3 for the front logo head. Come to think of it, I'll get a 26 incher for the Zep kit too.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM
"Uncle Larry"

You're a good son. A tribute to my Dad would be to toss the drum set in the garbage, that would please him lol. I envy you for having a supportive Father. And yes, your wife deserves something, out of the blue, for no particular reason. You can't realize that about her and not do anything for her. What's her passion?

Gomez Addams
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You're a good son. A tribute to my Dad would be to toss the drum set in the garbage, that would please him lol. I envy you for having a supportive Father. And yes, your wife deserves something, out of the blue, for no particular reason. You can't realize that about her and not do anything for her. What's her passion?
Sorry your dad isn't supportive, Larry. I don't know what would've happened to me if the parents didn't let me pursue this. Hard to imagine.

My wife is in to learning Japanese right now (she's been slowly doing it since she got out of college on her own). I'm actually in the process of returning a Rosetta Stone Japanese program I bought for her birthday and exchanging it for a different method of software learning (that costs quite a bit more). But she's worth it :)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Well my Dad did pay for my first MIJ set in 1968, and then the following Christmas he got me my first 2 Zildjain cymbals. I was so ecstatically happy, a home movie shows me, completely dorky, making the most God awful face of elation right in the camera. It's embarrassing. But he in no way knew that drumming would define who I was, and for that, he always blames himself for getting me my first kit lol. So it was tolerated at best, and talked down about as I got older, but he didn't stop me in my pursuits. It would have been futile anyway, like John Lee Hooker says in "Boogie Chillun"... it's in him and it gotta come out.

My Dad gave me other things for which I'm grateful, like mechanical ability and a hard work ethic. He was a good guy, old school. I really have no clue where drumming came from. There was no music in my family prior.

So I envy you.

Gomez Addams
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well my Dad did pay for my first MIJ set in 1968, and then the following Christmas he got me my first 2 Zildjain cymbals. I was so ecstatically happy, a home movie shows me, completely dorky, making the most God awful face of elation right in the camera. It's embarrassing. But he in no way knew that drumming would define who I was, and for that, he always blames himself for getting me my first kit lol. So it was tolerated at best, and talked down about as I got older, but he didn't stop me in my pursuits. It would have been futile anyway, like John Lee Hooker says in "Boogie Chillun"... it's in him and it gotta come out.

My Dad gave me other things for which I'm grateful, like mechanical ability and a hard work ethic. He was a good guy, old school. I really have no clue where drumming came from. There was no music in my family prior.

So I envy you.
No need to envy me, Larry. I've heard your groove, and it's killin'. So it doesn't matter if there was no prior music in your family, somewhere along the line you got it ;)
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Nothing better than celebrating a lost loved one while doing something you love. Best way to keep the grief positive and keep the memory alive.

Nice kit too. 3 ply? How about some details of it?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

So I envy you.
I come from a similar background as you, Larry- only 10 years later. My dad wasn't too thrilled about me playing drums, but when I did well in classes, he'd help pay for drums. He wasn't against drums as much as he was for me making money. Though he didn't like the "musician's lifestyle" whatever that meant.

In 1969, we had a big snowstorm; dropping about 4 feet in New England. I was 7. We were all shut in, sick for close to a week when my dad comes up from the cellar, with a 5 O'clock shadow, grin and a hatchet in his hand. We had an upright piano and he said, "I've heard there's ivory in keyboards. Want to find out?!?" So my brother, dad and I took turns hacking apart this poor instrument while my mom and sister looked on, kind of dismayed.

That was the last time we had anything resembling an instrument in the house until I got into drums.

And Bo- It'll be 3 years in August for me. It never goes away although good memories come up at surprising times.

-John
Old 03-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Nothing better than celebrating a lost loved one while doing something you love. Best way to keep the grief positive and keep the memory alive.

Nice kit too. 3 ply? How about some details of it?
Well, I should be receiving them hopefully by the top of next week. I'll figure what they are then and post some pictures.

The seller of the Slingerland Buddy Rich 6.5x14 COB monster snare shipped that to me today and I'll get it by Friday. Friday is when the correct Slingerland hoops also show up from Drumfactorydirect. I also need to get out to Pro Drum and pick up a smooth white PS3 head for the front logo head (for both this one and my ludwigs). So it'll be a pretty busy Friday!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Looking forward to it- pics, pics, pics.

Congratulations.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Looking forward to it- pics, pics, pics.

Congratulations.
Will do. I need to contact the guy who sold me the set to see if he got them out for me ;)
If I play my cards right, everything will show up on the same day!

I'm getting antsy and can't wait to unveil them to the family.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Tape a photograph on there or stick it between a lug. Sorry for your loss.

- Reggae Mangle
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Will do. I need to contact the guy who sold me the set to see if he got them out for me ;)
If I play my cards right, everything will show up on the same day!

I'm getting antsy and can't wait to unveil them to the family.
Bo, that's cool, being able to go "full-circle", play something that you did in your youth and honor your Dad..................Good Stuff
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Bo, that's cool, being able to go "full-circle", play something that you did in your youth and honor your Dad..................Good Stuff
Thanks. I'm kinda bummed because the seller contacted me and said he hopes to get them off to me by tomorrow (he took a trip and was delayed getting home due to bad weather - which I can understand). But I was expecting them tomorrow!

I received the Buddy Rich TDR COB snare last night and it is a thing of beauty! Once I put new heads on it, and give it a good cleaning myself, it will be awesome! The snare wires look good (they're Pearls and not stretched out), but I'll probably replace the string with aircraft cable. Then the drum will be ready to rock! Things are looking up!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
, but I'll probably replace the string with aircraft cable.
I've never heard of using "aircraft cable"...................honestly, I don't even know what it is. Sounds like it would strong.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've never heard of using "aircraft cable"...................honestly, I don't even know what it is. Sounds like it would strong.
Back in the 80s, I was turned on to this thin steel cable insulated with a blue coating. I was told they called it aircraft cable (like what you would use to control things on a plane). Since then I think drum companies are now making stuff like this just for snare drum usage. It doesn't stretch and it doesn't break. Although the funny thing is, every time I change out my snares, I change the cable too. Go figure.

Anyway, if you were going to tie a knot with it, you would need pliers as your fingers won't be strong enough to hold it and pull it tight enough. But the butt plate is easy enough, you just clamp it down. I hate using regular snare string to mount the snares, it always breaks when you least expect it!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Back in the 80s, I was turned on to this thin steel cable insulated with a blue coating. I was told they called it aircraft cable (like what you would use to control things on a plane). Since then I think drum companies are now making stuff like this just for snare drum usage. It doesn't stretch and it doesn't break. Although the funny thing is, every time I change out my snares, I change the cable too. Go figure.

Anyway, if you were going to tie a knot with it, you would need pliers as your fingers won't be strong enough to hold it and pull it tight enough. But the butt plate is easy enough, you just clamp it down. I hate using regular snare string to mount the snares, it always breaks when you least expect it!
Interesting..........where do you get it from?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting..........where do you get it from?
Trick percussion now sells the cable. For $8 you get four of them. Definitely a rip off as I think I was getting it for $1 each at Pro Drum, but that was a long time ago. But it's the stuff I I use and it never breaks or stretches.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Losing your parents sucks. My Dad passed away 18 years ago and I still miss him. Love the story. I have an old lazy boy my that was my Dads. I had it re-covered and will keep it forever. I like to sit in it when I miss him.

As for music and he and I, he used to march around the house with me to John Philip Sousa albums. I had pan lids playing cymbals and he imitated a trumpet. To this day if I hear a march I think of him fondly.

Thanks for taking me down this road today and enjoy your slingerlands!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Update: the drums were shipped. I should see them Thursday afternoon. It already feels likes its been too long ;)

I received some new logo stickers, so I spent some time replacing the Ludwig one on the zep kit because I thought the first one was just too big and gaudy. It now has a small one about 6" long and 1.5" tall. Looks good. I got a smooth white PowerStroke 3 for the incoming Slingerlands and put the logo on that head too. It's now waiting for the drum to put it on.

I also received all the Slingerland hoops today to replace the standard hoops the previous owner put on the kit. You can't have a Slingerland kit without those unitque hoops. So my parts are all waiting for the drums to show up!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

It's been almost a year now since I lost my dad. In my man cave, I hung up a picture of me playing the crappy old first drum kit my parents helped my buy some 35 years ago. It's always good to keep remembering.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
It's been almost a year now since I lost my dad. In my man cave, I hung up a picture of me playing the crappy old first drum kit my parents helped my buy some 35 years ago. It's always good to keep remembering.
You know, I have to find them, but I think there was only TWO pictures made with that first (actually, second) Slingerland kit. I'll post 'em up for comparison. But it's hard to believe I played them from 1978 to 1984 and there weren't more pictures of them. So at least you have the picture you have! I had started gigging when I was 15 dragging those Slingerlands around and I can't believe there aren't more pictures.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 AM

Seems like many people had Slingerlands as a first kit. My dad bought mine for me around 1970. It was a 1957 set (stamped inside the shell). I cannibalized it over the 5-6 years I played them. I think of my dad everyday, as I'm sure anyone who's lost a parent does. Good for you Bo! I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Attached Images