DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
Did he play drum tracks on Beatles albums? Find out in this exclusive with the "hit-man!"
Wow...this has been hashed out on every drum forum,ad nausium.It's a lie,it has been proven a lie,over and over.He may be a great drummer,but a lousy liar.The story has changed over the years as to how many and cuts,which ones and where they were done,here or in the UK.

Mr Purdie never learned the the first rule of a lie.That is you have to remember it,exactly the same way you told it,the first time you told it....forever.

Secondly...if this B.S. were true,someone,anyone would have come foward by now to confirm this ruse as true or not.They also would have done so in their own Beatles tell all books,of which there have to be at least a hundred.

If Ringo was so terrible,then why did the keep him?If Ringo didn't cut it,he would have met the same fate as Pete Best.Just watch the live footage of Ringo's playing and tell me this guy wasn't a pro,who actually made much less mistakes then the other three Beatles.

Why didn't the Beatles keep Purdie,and chuck Ringo...like they did with Pete Best?

Remember...the Beatles recruited Ringo...they wanted him in the band,and not the other way around.

Lastly,if Ringo was a talentless as Mr.Purdie suggests,then why did Ringo play on Lennons first two solo albums,seven George Harrison albums,and four Macca albums.

Ringo also played on around 35 other artists studio albums including Peter Franpton,Jeff Lynn,Tom Petty,BB King and many others.

Seems the "he was only a good drummer for the Beatles" is just the classic argument from ignorance.Tell Steve Jordan,Steve Smith or Greg Bissonette Ringo is talentless and Purdie actually played on say, " She Loves You"(yeah yeah yeah as Purdie claims),and the'll to a man laugh in your face.

Put this nonsense to bed.The only story that will change will be Purdies....once again,who will talk about the B.S. to anybody who'll listen.:(

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,882
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Wow...this has been hashed out on every drum forum,ad nausium.It's a lie,it has been proven a lie,over and over.He may be a great drummer,but a lousy liar..

Secondly...if this B.S. were true,someone,anyone would have come foward by now to confirm this ruse as true or not.They also would have done so in their own Beatles tell all books,of which there have to be at least a hundred.
I do believe it was proven he was hired to over dub extra drum tacks onto 3 old Beatles demos made before Ringo joined the band, that were sold as bonus singles in the US without the bands knowledge during the early days of Beattle mania.

Although none of that changes that Purdie has extensively lied about how many tracks he played on and lied about his overall involvement with the Beatles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,584
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
I actually believe him. It doesn't have anything to do with Ringo, just how good pretty purdie is......
That's the funniest post I've read all year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
I actually believe him. It doesn't have anything to do with Ringo, just how good pretty purdie is......
Hey, that's cool mate.

My daughter actually believes in Santa Claus. It doesn't have anything to do with the impossible logistics behind one man filling a magical flying sleigh full of toys to be delivered completely unseen to every child in the world, all within a 24 hour period.......just how many presents he brings her. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,584
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hey, that's cool mate.

My daughter actually believes in Santa Claus. It doesn't have anything to do with the impossible logistics behind one man filling a magical flying sleigh full of toys to be delivered completely unseen to every child in the world, all within a 24 hour period.......just how many presents he brings her. :-)
And let's not even go into homeopathy...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
And let's not even go into homeopathy...
Good. I'm homeophobic.

I wonder if Purdie's gonna claim to be too?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,584
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Good. I'm homeophobic.

I wonder if Purdie's gonna claim to be too?
He's got a lot of 'splainin to do.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,882
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hey, that's cool mate.

My daughter actually believes in Santa Claus. It doesn't have anything to do with the impossible logistics behind one man filling a magical flying sleigh full of toys to be delivered completely unseen to every child in the world, all within a 24 hour period.......just how many presents he brings her. :-)
Oh geez, everyone is the office is going to wonder why I'm laughing so hard!! haha.


Ok, back to topic, I listened to the whole interview.

He says "I don't want to talk about the Beatles" several times, then proceeds to talk about the Beatles. And then claims he fixed 21 tracks, which is 18 more than anyone has ever found evidence of.

And, as noted, the claim of 21 tracks contradicts his earlier stories about having been on so many more songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
I actually believe him. It doesn't have anything to do with Ringo, just how good pretty purdie is......
Well, it does, because Purdie has claimed Ringo didn't appear on the first three Beatles albums, and claimed he replaced Ringo in the studio.

I'm willing to agree to the story Purdie over dubbed over Pete Best on some early demos originally recorded in Germany that were later released in America to take advantage of Beatle mania.
I'm willing to believe Purdie didn't know he was replacing Pete and not Ringo.
But how he can take a story about 3 or 4 songs and turn that into 21, and then claim this somehow means Ringo wasn't anywhere on the first three albums doesn't add up.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
I actually believe him. It doesn't have anything to do with Ringo, just how good pretty purdie is......
Wow..then I have a bridge to sell you,along with some beachfront property in Arizona.

Which part do you believe?The part where he says Ringo didn't play on ANY of it?Watch any of Ringo's live playing with the Beatles,and tell me he wasn't up to the task,and make that music swing..

If you're the LEAST familiar with the recording techniques of the time,it was nearly impossible to isolate a drum track completely during a live recording,which is how the Beatles recorded their music.They added some overdub and multi-tracking later.

Before actually writing that statement in a public forum,you might want to do some back story fact checking,like a responsible interviewer would do,and not accept anything on face value.

His story has been factually disproven numerous times,which you would have seen had you checked the facts.You might want to talk to Greg Bissonette,Rich Pagano and Max Wienberg.

Purdie is a charming man,and a great drummer.He also adopted P.T.Barnums philosophy of "there's a sucker born every minute".

Refuse to examine the facts,and you're mearly engauging in both the argument of ,"that just makes sense to me,why would someone lie to me,he's so charming."...and the "argument out of ignorance".

As a former NYPD detective,If I conducted my investgations ,and made arrests based on sloppy work like that,I would have been indicted,and I would have deserved it.

So now it's just you and Purdie who believe the fairy tale.Ask him a year from about some of the "facts" of his malarkie,and a different story will emerge.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 03-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 230
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Oh geez, everyone is the office is going to wonder why I'm laughing so hard!! haha.


Ok, back to topic, I listened to the whole interview.

He says "I don't want to talk about the Beatles" several times, then proceeds to talk about the Beatles. And then claims he fixed 21 tracks, which is 18 more than anyone has ever found evidence of.

And, as noted, the claim of 21 tracks contradicts his earlier stories about having been on so many more songs.


Well, it does, because Purdie has claimed Ringo didn't appear on the first three Beatles albums, and claimed he replaced Ringo in the studio.

I'm willing to agree to the story Purdie over dubbed over Pete Best on some early demos originally recorded in Germany that were later released in America to take advantage of Beatle mania.
I'm willing to believe Purdie didn't know he was replacing Pete and not Ringo.
But how he can take a story about 3 or 4 songs and turn that into 21, and then claim this somehow means Ringo wasn't anywhere on the first three albums doesn't add up.
If Purdie just claimed to have played on tracks that were actually done by Ringo that'd be one thing, but I've seen him lay claim to playing on all sorts of tunes that he didn't play on, like James Brown's "Cold Sweat" [actually Clyde Stubblefield] and "I Got You (I Feel Good)" [Melvin Parker], Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves a Woman" [Roger Hawkins] and "Aja" [Steve Gadd]. When you know that these are fabrications, it makes the Ringo stories (at least in my eyes) even less likely to be true.

I was fortunate enough to meet Purdie a year ago very briefly (despite all of the false claims by him, he's one of my absolute favorite drummers and influences, and I admire his abilities immensely); I was introduced to him by a saxophonist I know. At the time I was playing with the saxophonist in a band where we had been doing the Steely Dan tune "Black Cow," and my friend introduced Purdie to me by saying, "Guess what? Bernard played drums on the recording of 'Black Cow'!" I said to Bernard, "Really?", knowing that Paul Humphrey actually played on that tune, and Bernard nodded his head yes. I didn't call him on it, but I find it sad that he feels the need to spread these stories around. He certainly has enough actual credits to talk about without having to invent more of them (and take away from the drummers who actually did play on those tracks).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,882
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
If Purdie just claimed to have played on tracks that were actually done by Ringo that'd be one thing, but I've seen him lay claim to playing on all sorts of tunes that he didn't play on, like James Brown's "Cold Sweat" [actually Clyde Stubblefield] and "I Got You (I Feel Good)" [Melvin Parker], Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves a Woman" [Roger Hawkins] and "Aja" [Steve Gadd]. When you know that these are fabrications, it makes the Ringo stories (at least in my eyes) even less likely to be true.

I was fortunate enough to meet Purdie a year ago very briefly (despite all of the false claims by him, he's one of my absolute favorite drummers and influences, and I admire his abilities immensely); I was introduced to him by a saxophonist I know. At the time I was playing with the saxophonist in a band where we had been doing the Steely Dan tune "Black Cow," and my friend introduced Purdie to me by saying, "Guess what? Bernard played drums on the recording of 'Black Cow'!" I said to Bernard, "Really?", knowing that Paul Humphrey actually played on that tune, and Bernard nodded his head yes. I didn't call him on it, but I find it sad that he feels the need to spread these stories around. He certainly has enough actual credits to talk about without having to invent more of them (and take away from the drummers who actually did play on those tracks).
Well, Steely Dan was known for recording the same song with 3 or 4 different drummers and then mix and matching for the final record. So Purdie might have recorded a version of that song.

But otherwise, yeah, I know what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 230
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Well, Steely Dan was known for recording the same song with 3 or 4 different drummers and then mix and matching for the final record. So Purdie might have recorded a version of that song.

But otherwise, yeah, I know what you mean.
I thought of that when I was writing my post. But Purdie's sharp enough to know that when he says "I played on that record" virtually 100% of the people who hear that will take him to mean the version that actually got released and that people are familiar with. Otherwise he's being deliberately disingenuous.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Oh geez, everyone is the office is going to wonder why I'm laughing so hard!! haha.


Ok, back to topic, I listened to the whole interview.

He says "I don't want to talk about the Beatles" several times, then proceeds to talk about the Beatles. And then claims he fixed 21 tracks, which is 18 more than anyone has ever found evidence of.

And, as noted, the claim of 21 tracks contradicts his earlier stories about having been on so many more songs.


Well, it does, because Purdie has claimed Ringo didn't appear on the first three Beatles albums, and claimed he replaced Ringo in the studio.

I'm willing to agree to the story Purdie over dubbed over Pete Best on some early demos originally recorded in Germany that were later released in America to take advantage of Beatle mania.
I'm willing to believe Purdie didn't know he was replacing Pete and not Ringo.
But how he can take a story about 3 or 4 songs and turn that into 21, and then claim this somehow means Ringo wasn't anywhere on the first three albums doesn't add up.
Just as another aside to Purdies claim that he replaced Ringo in the studio for the first three albums.

Firstly,he would have had to done this at Abbey Road ,and played live in the studio with the Beatles,because that's how they recorded

Secondly,There are 41 songs on the first three Beatle albums in total,not 21.Alan White played on the single version of "Love Me Do"Purdie is as bad at math,as he is at lying.

Lastly,listen to Ringo performance with the Beatles live.His time and fills are spot on.Speaking of fills,it's also obvious that they were played by Ringo both live and in the studio.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 AM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,144
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
You all just wait for the Chuck Rainey interview....these are not claims this is reality. Weather he played on 2 tracks or 21 tracks get off your balls and deal with it.
lol, hilarious. what is this, the kids sandbox at the park?

hmmm, how to prove a reality? Some schizophrenics might think their dad is Elvis. Likely untrue, but thats their reality.

I like Purdie, but am not buying any of this. I'll ascribe him to a great drummer who can count out time impeccably, but cannot count out his overdubs.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
You all just wait for the Chuck Rainey interview....these are not claims this is reality. Weather he played on 2 tracks or 21 tracks get off your balls and deal with it.
"Get off your balls".

What does that even mean?I assume it's an insult in retaliation for our well placed sceptisism,and total disbelief in the preposterous.

Two tracks or twentyone?What does it matter.?

Now you're back pedaling.So then 2 or any number up to 21 is ok right?

His claim was that he replaced Ringo,in the studio, on at least the first three Beatle albums,and Ringo didn't play on any of it.That still adds up to 41 Beatle tracks.

So then I guess if his math is wrong,and we accept this ridicilous premise,somebody else replaced him also....didn't they?The numbers don't lie.Most if not all of these recording deals were done by written contract.Lets see the paperwork.Oh...that's right,the only paperwork involved here dosn't have writing on it,and comes in a roll.

I don't care if Chuck Rainey,The Pope or a player and some cash to be named later interview him....BS is still BS.

Just reasonally explain two things to me,and I'll for the hundreth time,re-examine that facts.Just tell me why the story has changed SO much over the years,and how it's even remotely possible that Ringo , as he has claimed many times,"didn't play on any of it".

If it's really true,then lets get Ringo,Macca and George Martin to interview him.Or Geoff Emerick.

This isn't a personal attack on you or Purdie.I'm a trained investigator,and just call them like I see them and this just stinks of bull.I may say that the two German tracks with Tony Sheridan of him replacing Pete best, could be possible.Possible,but no proven to be true.PROVEN.But Pete was bitter for many years,so why didn't he say anything either.

Just way too many holes,and no solid evidence to back it up.Just because you tell a lie over and over,dosen't ever make it true.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
....these are not claims this is reality. Weather he played on 2 tracks or 21 tracks get off your balls and deal with it.
And using my very same analogy as before......to my five year old daughter, Santa Claus is a reality. He gave her presents last December.....I mean, she's playing with them now......doesn't get any more "real" than that does it? Perception doesn't always equal reality, my friend.

You're calling yourself the journo here......how about you "get off your balls" and do some journalism? The real kind......the old fashioned kind. You know, where you research the facts and provide some evidence, instead of taking someone's word purely because of "just how good" he is.

Oh sorry, I forgot....this is the internet. The new age. Facts no longer count for squat......things no longer need to be proven. At least, not now that anyone who can type to a basic grade three level can sit on a computer and spout opinions, do they?

Come on dude........go to work, get something tangible, convince me I'm wrong. Show me some concrete evidence to back the claims. Who knows, you may just make a legitimate name for yourself in doing so. Blow open one of rock's greatest conspiracies. Beat Chuck Rainey to the punch. What say you? Up to the challenge?

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 03-09-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,584
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

It's ok. I played on the first three Beatles albums. All the tracks. You can take my word - I'm a really good drummer. The fact that I wasn't born until 1988 and I'm five glasses of wine, a whisky, rum and a couple of gin and tonics the worse doesn't stop me from playing on those albums.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,778
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Controversial nonsense is good for ratings.

__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 AM
drumdevil9's Avatar
drumdevil9 drumdevil9 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal area
Posts: 1,231
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Purdie is a great player but he's full of itshay. The evidence is overwhelming that Ringo played on the records. This stupidity has to stop.
__________________
Eric
14 Crew
Drumblr
YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

We should start our own rumor that Meg White played on all of Purdie's stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post

I wasn't there and neither was you.Are you kidding with that argument?More back pedaling,and more argueing out of ignorance.

Pudrie must be telling the truth because he SAYS he was there.

Wow,a real eye witness account of one.There you have it boys and girls.It must be true because he's just so good and he says he was there.Everyone else MUST be lying.

Investigative journelism at it's finest folks.Woodward and Bernstein must be hanging their heads in shame.

Sorry,I for one don't dig.Show me verifiabe facts.Real journelism is nowhere in sight on this one.

You haven't demonstrated ANY credible proof,just conjecture and a belief that he's being truthful because he's a drumming legend.His story is also a hoax.

Right,and if my grandmother had wheels,she'd be a wagon.

Remember,it's not what you say,it's what you can PROVE and interviews with a liar don't prove a damn thing.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefeinbergshow View Post
You Dig?
Yeah, I did dig mate. My digging lead me to the conclusion that Purdie, just can't be telling it how it happened......just can't be. His story just doesn't add up. It flies in the face of the most common of sense.

Wish you'd do a little digging though. You're the man with access to the "source" after all. I'd be interested to hear your findings. Perhaps I missed something.....overlooked the obvious.....didn't have all the facts at my disposal and formed an opinion too quickly? Here's your chance to change my mind.......wish you would, to be honest. At least this ridiculous debate would be settled once and for all.

Alas it seems it's a challenge you're not interested in. Don't wanna even try to bring some credibility to the argument. Just happy to leave it as "fact" based on hearsay and conjecture.......I shudder for the future of your profession if that's the very best it's got to offer.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,778
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

__________________
Soundcloud

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Heck, OK. I played on all of Purdie's hits from Aretha 'til Gaucho. I was there. Right there! I was making coffee in the studio one day and he didn't show up on time and the producer asked me if I'd sound check the kit. He liked what he heard and rolled tape.

;)

But I don't talk about it because my life is already pretty dramatic the way it is. I don't need to add to my epic awesomeness.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,584
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

I met a guy the other day that works as a physicist. He's really good at it. He told me that he developed quantum electrodynamics and that it had nothing to do with Paul Dirac at all. Sadly, by the time he told everyone thirty years later, nobody would believe him.

I believe him...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM
mrmike's Avatar
mrmike mrmike is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe, Washington
Posts: 669
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Alan White played on the single version of "Love Me Do"
I think it was Andy White.
__________________
Boris S. Wort,
Second meanest man in the world!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 602
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Purdie could not sound like Ringo no matter how hard he tried.
The other way around is equally true.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-10-2013, 06:40 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,584
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Just to add to the pile on.

Jake, a few days ago I reported you for bumping your own threads. Fortunately the moderators saw it and deleted a ream of your posts. To my memory, you had bumped six threads.

Now, that in itself isn't a big deal but it does tell me an awful lot about what you're doing on this forum. I've never seen you post outside of one of your own threads and when you do post (until this thread) it's always been to promote your own show. Now your show may or may not have merit - because frankly I don't care enough to listen to it. Part of that reasoning is the attention whoring that you've been doing on this forum for your show. It actively puts me off.

I'm surprised that you haven't been warned for unsolicited advertising. You appear to have little to offer and after this debacle I'm quite willing to say that I'm not sure that anybody here will even trust your 'journalism'.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,104
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Based on a cursory look at the home page, the promotion of his site appears to be a not-for-profit venture, and he's got a bunch of great interviewees there, not just drummers. I think the information available outweighs the promotional tactics, although there is a limit as to how often we need to see the links.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,144
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

I heard Jake Feinberg played on the first 3 Beates albums, and the 1st Deep Purple album.
Lesser known is Hendrix tried him out too, but flipped a rare 3-headed coin to choose between him, Mitch Mitchell and Aynsley Dunbar.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I think it was Andy White.
Yes it ws...I stand corrected.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Based on a cursory look at the home page, the promotion of his site appears to be a not-for-profit venture, and he's got a bunch of great interviewees there, not just drummers. I think the information available outweighs the promotional tactics, although there is a limit as to how often we need to see the links.

Bermuda
I understand and agree to an extent ,but I have to question his conclusions,investigative fact confirmation skills,and journelistic integrity.Just saying a thing is so...dosen't make it so,and lending integrity to it,is a fools folly.

This is clearly a case of the emperor has no clothes for me.At the end of the day...you STILL have to bare your EVIDENCE,which walks the walk...opinions talk the talk.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,104
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

In all fairness, I haven't listened to any of the interviews on Jake's site, so I can't comment on their validity, or his for that matter.

My understanding of the Purdie claim is that he probably did add drums in a NYC studio to some early tracks that featured future Beatles. There are apparently two versions of those tracks, one of which is clearly "beefed" up. If that's what happened, in Bernard's mind, he played on Beatles songs, and never apparently sought whether or not they were the ones released on their first few albums.

I think I have both versions of said recordings, and will compare and count the number of tracks.

Did Purdie specifically say that he either replaced Ringo's tracks, or otherwise recorded with the Beatles in London? In that case, he's confused.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
In all fairness, I haven't listened to any of the interviews on Jake's site, so I can't comment on their validity, or his for that matter.

My understanding of the Purdie claim is that he probably did add drums in a NYC studio to some early tracks that featured future Beatles. There are apparently two versions of those tracks, one of which is clearly "beefed" up. If that's what happened, in Bernard's mind, he played on Beatles songs, and never apparently sought whether or not they were the ones released on their first few albums.

I think I have both versions of said recordings, and will compare and count the number of tracks.

Did Purdie specifically say that he either replaced Ringo's tracks, or otherwise recorded with the Beatles in London? In that case, he's confused.

Bermuda

Jon..his claim is that one,he played on 21 Beatle tracks and the only one he remembers(at least in ONE version of the story) was Yeah,Yeah,Yeah.But he has said he may remember more, if the money was right.

His second claim is that he replaced Ringo on the first three Beatle albums,which total 41 tracks.

And third,he also claims, that Ringo didn't play on ANY of it.He has made this statement numerous times,and also states this in Max Weinbergers book.

Those are just some of the Beatle/Ringo claims,but the most significant ones.

Both you and I are WWRD guys and know his playing when we hear it.It hasn't changed much from his Beatle days,even till now.Ringo is Ringo.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,104
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

No question that the Beatles albums featured Ringo, and occasionally a Ringo-inspired Paul, and the Purdie claim has been going around for a few decades. I just don't know the exact words he's said, and if/how the story may have changed over time.

The version/account of him adding drums in NYC to pre-EMI tracks sounded the most likely, with some of the details becoming clouded over time. But if the New York part is correct, it obviously negates having recorded with the Beatles (in London,) or having replaced Ringo's parts, which couldn't have been separated from the rest of the track. And the Beatles tracks obviously don't have additional drum parts on them (until later, well after Purdie's claimed involvement.)

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,899
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

I am on the side that Purdie is fibbing. Which lowers my opinion of him drastically. To the point where I think he's a friggin a-hole. The part that I don't get is he doesn't need to make these claims at all, his body of work is impressive enough. He must have some pretty severe security issues if he has to go around running his mouth like that. Would love to hear Ringo's take on this. I say we get them in the same room together and bring the subject up.

Besides, anyone can tell it's Ringo drumming, it's not vague in the least. Their individual styles are so different that it's laughable. Purdie obviously subscribes to the PT Barnum school of thought.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,104
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I am on the side that Purdie is fibbing.
I don't know that he deliberately is, I just believe he's got his facts mixed up as to what became of the tracks he may have worked on. They definitely weren't the Beatles songs that we know, and he doesn't seem to know the difference.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 230
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I don't know that he deliberately is, I just believe he's got his facts mixed up as to what became of the tracks he may have worked on. They definitely weren't the Beatles songs that we know, and he doesn't seem to know the difference.

Bermuda
Well, my point is that he's got his facts mixed up about more than just Ringo and the Beatles. Check out this discography from his own web site: http://bernardpurdie.com/top100.htm. How many people here who think he's telling the truth about replacing Ringo also think he played on "Cold Sweat," "Sex Machine," "Peg," "Aja," "Black Cow," Bitches Brew, "Theme from Shaft" and "Josie"? Not to mention the fact that the drummer on about half or more of the Aretha Franklin records he lists was actually Roger Hawkins?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 230
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
Well, my point is that he's got his facts mixed up about more than just Ringo and the Beatles. Check out this discography from his own web site: http://bernardpurdie.com/top100.htm. How many people here who think he's telling the truth about replacing Ringo also think he played on "Cold Sweat," "Sex Machine," "Peg," "Aja," "Black Cow," Bitches Brew, "Theme from Shaft" and "Josie"? Not to mention the fact that the drummer on about half or more of the Aretha Franklin records he lists was actually Roger Hawkins?
For those who may not be too familiar with the above listed tunes, most sources (other than Purdie) credit the drumming on them to (respectively) Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Rick Marotta, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Jack DeJohnette/Don Alias/Lenny White, Willie Hall, and Jim Keltner. Is there a conspiracy afoot to cover up the fact that Purdie replaced all of them, too? Or is there only a conspiracy regarding Ringo and the Beatles?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,732
Default Re: JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I am on the side that Purdie is fibbing. Which lowers my opinion of him drastically. To the point where I think he's a friggin a-hole. The part that I don't get is he doesn't need to make these claims at all, his body of work is impressive enough. He must have some pretty severe security issues if he has to go around running his mouth like that. Would love to hear Ringo's take on this. I say we get them in the same room together and bring the subject up.

Besides, anyone can tell it's Ringo drumming, it's not vague in the least. Their individual styles are so different that it's laughable. Purdie obviously subscribes to the PT Barnum school of thought.
Larry,I made the PT Barnum reference in a previous post,but I'm glad to see you picked up on it also.If he wasn't a famous drummer,he'd be selling used cars,or a carnie,barker, or snake oil salesman.

Bermuda ,you're a class act and are threating this with all professional courtesy and detachment.Understandable

I however choose to believe that he's not confused about a single thing,and just looking for a payday much in the same way rock star paterity suits are settled out of court,quietly.He's already said in PRINT,that the only one he remembers is Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,but could remember more if the money was right.Really?

The problem is though,even after all the outrageious and ever changing stories.....no Beatle or anyone in the Beatles inner circle,nor anyone with remote knowledge of such events, has blinked.His payday is NOT forth coming,so he persists to this day with the lies......because he has to.

He can't come clean now.There are too many stories different stories told to too many different people.The emperor continues to wear his new clothes,knowing exactly what they really are.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com