DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Also, Larryz. None of those sources on your post are worth reading. All of them are utter bollocks and would be dismissed out-of-hand in any serious discussion of the issue using the demonstrated, reliable and very effective scientific process in a peer-reviewed publication.
Disagree. Conventional medical people with degrees largely funded by pharmaceutical companies should not assume that they are any more knowledgeable than myself, the other Larry or anyone else simply because of a piece of paper. Obtaining a degree in chiropractic is at least as difficult study-wiseif not more difficult than a conventional medical degree. History has shown conventional medical association's attempts to discredit chiropractic profession as quackery. Because it cuts into their profits. The day will come, hopefully soon, where people will see it the other way. It's starting to happen now. Parents are refusing dangerous vaccines for their kids. Flu shots, same thing. Many doctors polled said they would not vaccinate their own kids, and don't, but they'll vaccinate yours and tell you it's necessary. Lie. Schools lie about mandatory vaccination, but in the U.S. vaccines are not legally required to go to any school anywhere. But schools won't tell you that or inform parents of that option. A big joke is what is. Diet and exercise is way more effective and safer. A average child will have over 80 vaccines by age 18. It was 3, three, when I was a kid. And I'm not that old. Rise in vaccines, rise in autism? Concidence? Not a friggen chance. Unconscionable. Television reaps over 30% of the advertising revenue from drug ads. Think there will be any real discussion over the safety of vaccines? No way. The evidence is overwhelming. And people are becoming enlightened. A good thing :)

Back to drumming :)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

So what you're saying is that people that spend seven years studying a subject to known objective standards know less than a guy who just reads what he hears about on the Internet?

Sorry. I'm hearing the gravy train of bollocks.

I don't know if you've ever written a scientific paper. I've written a few very basic studies when I was at school and at University (in different fields) and let me assure you that unless you've written a paper, you have no idea what the process involves and how it will get ripped to shreds by anybody within twenty feet.

On the other hand, you have an idea about something. You buy the web server, a web host and spend a couple of days tinkering with the page until it says what you want it to say. Review process? Nil. Credibility? Nil. If you treated the websites you're spouting with the same skepticism that you treat scientists then you'd realise that none of the websites you cited earlier hold anything like a worthwhile opinion and any information that is truthful, is probably truthful through coincidence.

No, sorry. I'm sticking with the scientific process. It's only - what? Five hundreds years old or so?

Have you got any papers from a reputable journal demonstrating the effectiveness of chiropractors?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
This is so wonderful. I'm stealing it for my blog.

Thanks, Anon.
Okay, I did steal it. The post/article is here: http://tvwriter.net/?p=10949
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Jesus, how many of you blokes are sitting here with tin foil hats on your heads so that the government can't read your thoughts?

You lot have really gotta get out more. You've all gone stark raving bloody mad. The solitude has got you jumping at shadows. :-)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Jesus, how many of you blokes are sitting here with tin foil hats on your heads so that the government can't read your thoughts?

You lot have really gotta get out more. You've all gone stark raving bloody mad. The solitude has got you jumping at shadows. :-)
Aluminum foil is far more effective at keeping the government out of your head anyway. The secret world government infiltrated the tin industry long ago, and now there's tracking devices in all of it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Jesus, how many of you blokes are sitting here with tin foil hats on your heads...You've gone stark raving bloody Mad. The solitude has got you jumping at shadows. :-)
Yes Jules, I like doing cartoons with hats on... :)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Conventional medical people with degrees largely funded by pharmaceutical companies should not assume that they are any more knowledgeable than myself, the other Larry or anyone else simply because of a piece of paper.
Larry, thank you. In the last year my cartooning inspiration dried up because, as years pass, I find an increasing number of things I don't much care about. But I DO care about the way people are turning away from science and towards superstition.

I find the whole anti-science thing bizarre. Do we want to go back to believing the earth is flat or that sickness is caused because we failed to sacrifice a virgin to Doc Watso? Science works. That's how we can be discussing this from 10,000 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
Okay, I did steal it. The post/article is here: http://tvwriter.net/?p=10949
:)

I note that your name is Larry. I'm starting to think that if I call anyone on this forum Larry I have a fair chance of getting it right.

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

I was compiling a list earlier of all the items that Larryz should stop using if he doesn't want to reap the benefits of the scientific method.

I started with clothes. You can't wear any synthetic fibres (bets are on you have some) anything with synthetic rubber, anything made with modern machining methods or that are made with machines that use oil (modern oil is developed by scientists in the petro-chemical industry) or zips and velcro. That's for starters.

Want to get to work? Well, you can have a car made before about 1930 but you can't have any modern petrol in it and you certainly can't have a modern radio or any electronic systems on board that are controlled by a transistor (quantum mechanics) or that use lasers (CD player) or even microwaves (parking sensors).

Bicycle? Fine so long as you don't have vulcanised tyres.

Walk? Make sure you don't have synthetic soles on your shoes!

So you come home. It's cold. You put on the heating. Oops. Chances are your boiler is controlled by an electronic system. You can't be having that. You can have a fire but you can't use any wood that's been cut with a chainsaw.

You certainly can't use a computer, or the World Wide Web or the Internet. The phone you could use if you have a manual exchange but all the exchanges now are computer-controlled - so you're cut off there. Sending letters? Nope. All the post office sorting stations are computer-controlled and your postman would be using a car with a modern oil system. So you'd have to deliver it yourself.

You want dinner? Fresh out of luck unless you cook it in a gas oven - even then you're relying on computer control for the supply of gas. Make sure you've grown the food yourself because it's almost guaranteed that somewhere along the line there would've been a modern motor vehicle used. Any garden implements you use have to have been hand-made too and can't realistically have anything metal because it's likely that a machine would have been used to make the metal.

So you're hungry, lonely, can't get to work and you're wearing only half your clothes. You think that playing the drums is a good idea.

Fresh out of luck. Drum heads are mylar - a form of plastic. Plastic is synthetic material created and manufactured by scientists. So you're on handmade calfskin heads. That's fine but you can't have any sticks because they're all made by computer and you can't have any Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl or Paiste cymbals. Getting Turkish cymbals would be a challenge without a modern vehicle, too. Chances are your drums have been designed on a computer - as would the hardware, so unless your kit is of a particular vintage, you can't have it.

You go to bed. Sorry. Got a synthetic duvet, sheets or pillows?

I could go on but it's best summed up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Do we want to go back to believing the earth is flat or that sickness is caused because we failed to sacrifice a virgin to Doc Watso?
Just to be clear: I now accept non-virgin sacrifices. Let it not be said that I am a demi-god of the old ways. Speaking of which, I need blood, so let's hop to it, folks.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Just to be clear: I now accept non-virgin sacrifices. Let it not be said that I am a demi-god of the old ways. Speaking of which, I need blood, so let's hop to it, folks.
Reminds me of an old joke:

Why can't you stage the Nativity in Essex (insert province here)?

Hard to find three wise men and a virgin...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Just to be clear: I now accept non-virgin sacrifices. Let it not be said that I am a demi-god of the old ways.
My understanding is that a truly modern deity would only accept Paypal, Visa or Mastercard.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think I heard that Richard Branson developing a Virgin credit card. Or was that tourist trips into space? I get confused.

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

I went down to the corner store to grab something. I came out, and there were some kids partying in the parking lot. It's 9pm on a Friday night, so I guess that's not unusual.

Then I noticed they were blasting Hysteria by Def Leppard. And I recalled that I saw them on that tour, in 1988!

And then I realized, I'm old enough to be these kids father. And they're rebelling against their parents by partying in the parking lot and listening to music was that new when I was a teenager.

Which just proved I feel old, and that current radio rock music must be awful if kids prefer 1980's music for their rebellious years. ha!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I was talking to the bandleader guitarist guy in my trio band after a gig last week, outside of the bar on the sidewalk. A 20 something guy was walking past and commented..."Hey you guys are 2 OG's!".
By the time I figured out what OG meant, he was half a block away.

OG's = old guys. Lol.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I was talking to the bandleader guitarist guy in my trio band after a gig last week, outside of the bar on the sidewalk. A 20 something guy was walking past and commented..."Hey you guys are 2 OG's!".

OG's = old guys. Lol.
Round these parts(CA), it's much more flattering, though it still means you're probably old.

OG = Original Gangster

He was probably saying that he liked your style, despite the generation gap.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My understanding is that a truly modern deity would only accept Paypal, Visa or Mastercard.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think I heard that Richard Branson developing a Virgin credit card. Or was that tourist trips into space? I get confused.
If I accept my blood money through credit, then I have to pay outrageous fees on every transaction and then uncle sam has a record to come after me with when I don't pay my blood taxes.

Guess I am still a bit on the old-fashioned demi-god side.

I also accept jokes, but it has to be one I haven't heard yet, and I collect em.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Round these parts(CA), it's much more flattering, though it still means you're probably old.

OG = Original Gangster

You know, I don't know for sure what he meant. But I appreciate your attempt at consoling me lol. He said it positively, but then again I always assume the best in people.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Renegade

Funny thing, Larry, he might have walked past earlier and thought the music sounded good and was surprised that it had been supplied by OGs when you should have been at home watching sitcom reruns.

Mighty Watso - a demi god should have a religion - The Children of Watso (with adherents called Watsons). You can siphon the money off through that tax free haven, either that or move to New Hebrides.

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
The Children of Watso (with adherents called Watsons).
Quote:
I also accept jokes, but it has to be one I haven't heard yet, and I collect em.
Well, Doc your reputation as a god womaniser is well known, so after the already seen turgroaches, here comes the cybso-Os :)
Attached Images

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 02-02-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I went down to the corner store to grab something. I came out, and there were some kids partying in the parking lot. It's 9pm on a Friday night, so I guess that's not unusual.

Then I noticed they were blasting Hysteria by Def Leppard. And I recalled that I saw them on that tour, in 1988!

And then I realized, I'm old enough to be these kids father. And they're rebelling against their parents by partying in the parking lot and listening to music was that new when I was a teenager.

Which just proved I feel old, and that current radio rock music must be awful if kids prefer 1980's music for their rebellious years. ha!
history tends to repeat itself....
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

OG = Original Gangster

^ this.

.................................................. .................................................. ........................
I went to look at maybe getting a new laptop.

Windows 8 gives me a headache.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Matt Cameron is a damn good drummer.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Matt Cameron is a damn good drummer.
Agreed :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpfCFcMZI_Q
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

OG's = old guys. Lol.
Since my hair is salt and pepper(which I still have most of) I get the OG stuff once in a while.There is some solice in knowing that the time we have, goes by faster and faster as you get older.

Larry...it won't be that long before some jerk like himself calls him and "old guy " too.Pay back is universal....and a bit*h.:)

Steve B
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

I'm wondering what happened to my last thread. Hmmm. Oh well. Who cares?

Edit: I just read why. The system glitched. Glad to see you're up and running again.

Last edited by Midnite Zephyr; 02-18-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 AM
Renegade

We are moving through the universe at around 2 million kph (about 1.3 million mph). Over 500 kms per second.

Close your eyes and try to imagine it ... it gives me the shivers.

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We are moving through the universe at around 2 million kph (about 1.3 million mph). Over 500 kms per second.

Close your eyes and try to imagine it ... it gives me the shivers.
Not even counting how the whole known universe is moving away from the "center", also at a high rate of speed. I guess, looking at the reverse, each of the atoms in our body, and everything else are also moving relative to their own scales.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Gold Member

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Montey Python
Galaxy Song
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM

You gave me something I understand,
You gave me lovin' in the palm of my hand.
I can't tell you how I feel,
My heart is like a wheel.
Let me roll it,
Let me roll it to you.
Let me roll it,
Let me roll it to you.

I can't wait to see Paul McCartney this summer at Bonaroo!!! Who else is going!?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM

oh, I feel giddy.
I think I like it .
Polyanna.
Are you out there?
Did I just say..........
Where are we?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Not even counting how the whole known universe is moving away from the "center", also at a high rate of speed. I guess, looking at the reverse, each of the atoms in our body, and everything else are also moving relative to their own scales.
Weirdly, quantum mechanics results in predictions of amazing accuracy. It is no doubt how reality works - and quantum sits in a state of uncertainty until the act of observation collapses the wave form and "creates" the reality. Completely loopy - and that is reality, not the "commonsense" reality we believe it to be (which is just a simple practical model of reality that is often factually wrong).

And it's reality that we sit amongst this thin biological layer on the outside of one of gazillions of giant spheres zooming around an ocean of dark matter and dark energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678...procrastinate View Post
oh, I feel giddy.
I think I like it
It's a buzz, isn't it? :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

I'm watching a ball game! New York Mets vs Washington Nationals. Spring training baseball makes me feel that spring is just around the corner.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieFeltersnatch View Post
You gave me something I understand,
You gave me lovin' in the palm of my hand.
I can't tell you how I feel,
My heart is like a wheel.
Let me roll it,
Let me roll it to you.
Let me roll it,
Let me roll it to you.

I can't wait to see Paul McCartney this summer at Bonaroo!!! Who else is going!?
Don't have a ticket yet, but wanna invite me? If you let me roll it to you, I can provide you with all the fascinating Beatles trivia you could handle.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Bloody rained-off morning session of bloody cricket, bloody bloody.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bloody rained-off morning session of bloody cricket, bloody bloody.
Cricket is just a plain ol bonkers game It's like someone was screwing around out in the park and made up the rules as they went along. In case you think I only like American games; I just started getting into Snooker... That's a game I can get into. Looks more fun than standard pool to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cricket is just a plain ol bonkers game It's like someone was screwing around out in the park and made up the rules as they went along. In case you think I only like American games; I just started getting into Snooker... That's a game I can get into. Looks more fun than standard pool to me.
One of the theories of the development of Cricket is just that. Shepherds on the downs inventing a bat-and-ball game as they went along. It is bonkers, absolutely bonkers. That's part of the reason I love it. It's unpredictable and exciting. I also find a lot of humour in it - typically I'll watch a day's play (Test, mind - I don't care for shorter formats) which is around eight hours of viewing time, go out for a cigarette and miss the crucial moment of the play. The fact that it lasts for five days and frequently ends up as a draw is brilliant.

Despite outward appearances, it's actually quite easy to understand at a basic level. It's the sort of game where you might need a more experienced viewer around to explain what exactly is going on (dismissals are the classic - try explaining the leg-before-wicket dismissal to a newbie) but the nuances are what makes it compelling and with a bit of experience, it all makes perfect sense.

Snooker is absolutely rock hard. I've played in the past on small tables but watching professional players on a table that is six foot wide and twelve feet long and placing the cue ball within an inch of perfection is mind-blowing. I'm bad enough at pool to know that snooker is not a game I'll ever win at! Even though I enjoy playing.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Snooker's wonderful, it's elegantly masterful, what the top players are capable of. Cricket is so complicated that I finally gave up trying to develop an interest in it.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Snooker's wonderful, it's elegantly masterful, what the top players are capable of. Cricket is so complicated that I finally gave up trying to develop an interest in it.
Get a few beers in at a good ground. It's a good way of getting into Cricket!

It's really not for everyone though and I can respect that.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It certainly isn't for a mediocre Aussie team mindlessly fumbling it's way through a test series on the sub-continent!! If it wasn't for Clarke, they may as well pack up and come home now.

Almost football (AFL, naturally) season here in Oz.......bring it on. .
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Snooker over cricket anytime Dunc, at least I understand snooker's rules :)

I saw Stephen Hendry live in Birmingham a few years back, mind blowing stuff.