DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default To Port or not to Port...

So here's my question: I have this brand new set of Yamaha Stage Customs (as some of you may have heard ;P) and I'm just wondering if I should consider putting a port into the bass drum. My old set had a port cut into it and it's the only way I've played a set so that's all I'm used to. Now with a smaller bass (went from 22" to 20") and a brand new Pearl 900 pedal, everything is so different...better, but different....it's going to take a little getting used to a whole new feel.

So what's the advantage, disadvantage of a port? I'm not out gigging, etc so would it even do me any good? I guess I just really want to know the do's and don'ts and the when and when-not-to's of porting a bass. Either way , it's not something I would probably do for a while because I want to play the new kit as is and get used to it before making any changes but was just curious.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: To Port or not to Port...

When I played a 20 I had both a full front reso and a ported one so I could go back and forth. But I prefer bass drum with no ports so I get all the bass drum goodness out of it. Having a port is better if you know you'll mic' up all the time. If not, get into the unadulterated open bass drum sound for now. Get a ported head later and then try both to see what you like.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If you port the 20, you will lose a lot. The roundness dies and you get more of a thud. Put me down for changing the stock logo head with a non ported Ambassador head of your choice (clear, white, black, etc.) They just sound better than stock heads.

If you can, I'd buy a pre ported head too, just so you can experiment, or port the existing logo head because it's a cheap head. You really have to experience the difference for yourself, on your drum, in your house, to really understand what porting will do, to your particular drum.

I was a ported guy all my life. Now I am a non ported guy. The bass is just so much fuller. I never buried the beater. With a non ported head, burying the beater...it's hard to do do, for me anyway, without getting the multiple bounce thing going on.

Ever port a tom reso head? I put a 1" hole in a 12" tom once. Totally killed the tone. Same thing on any drum.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 PM

If you ever want it to sound good through a sound system, either port it or install a mic on a Kelly Shu mount inside.

http://www.fitzcosound.com
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, guys. I believe I'll be going port-less for a while. The idea of a newer, higher quality head for the bass is probably on the short list though :)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Only you could make "going portless" sound so racy Mary lol. Sorry I can't help myself.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM

For me, the feel of the beater is a little different with a ported resonant head. The port lets the air rush out of the drum more quickly than a non-ported head (just through the air vents), so the beater doesn't rebound off of the batter head the same.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM

You can port at any time, see if you can get used to not having it. Totally a feel thing(I prefer a port). Congrats on your new kit, they're beautiful, enjoy!!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

I have both a ported and unported on both my 20" Gretsch and my 22" Yamaha. In general, on the 20", when I use the ported head (Aquarian Regulator with the small hole) I get a punchier sound from out front. I use the Aquarian Super Kick II for the batter. It doesn't sound as full to me behind the kit with the port, but it's the sound out front that counts. The full resonant head is a Remo Powerstroke 3. It gives me a fuller and warmer (for lack of a better word) sound. Right now my Gretsch is my practice kit and I'm digging the full head sound. If I was to use it again for gigs I would probably go back to the ported head.

On the Yamaha I ported the stock logo head but instead of just having a port I installed a Kickport. The head is like the Powerstroke in that it has the extra layer of film on the outside. My non-ported head is a Remo singly-ply head (not sure the model but I'm thinking Ambassador). It's white and came with a shield and some stick-on letters to add my initials to. Very Gene Kurpa-esque. In either case I use a felt strip front and back for muffling. Used the head with the Kickport last Friday for the first time and got many compliments about the drum sound.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post

....it's not something I would probably do for a while because I want to play the new kit as is and get used to it before making any changes but was just curious.

Thanks!

That's probably the best idea. Play it as-is for a while.

If you decide you want to try it later, I'd suggest doing it on a different head, and keeping the stock one intact.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I just put a new kick reso on my Keller kit and thought I'd go portless for a while just to see. I did like the sound a lot but the feel was a drag for me so I ported it after about an hour.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Hathaway View Post
If you ever want it to sound good through a sound system, either port it or install a mic on a Kelly Shu mount inside.
What a piece of uneducated advice. The only reason to port or non port would be the feel of the drum and that can be polished with just a little time behind the kit. In my opinion, there is just too much to loose soundwise by porting a 20" bass drum.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

I would only use a ported head if I gigged often and had to mic the bass drum. Otherwise, I would go with a full head. This idea is not very original or unique, but that is how I roll. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Porting for bass drum micing is myth. Was done for years without.
Don't port, especially a 20. If you do, you'll be looking for a kick drum thats kicks a**, and you will have killed it with the 4 inch hole you made.
20's have a beautiful punch and you will reduce it to a wimper with a porthole.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Mary, I think you can find Yamaha logo heads on eBay pretty cheap - especially a 20. I say get one, and then put a hole in it. And try it out. You might like it, you might not. Shouldn't cost you more than $35.

I know, I said this before ;)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Hey Mary, I think you can find Yamaha logo heads on eBay pretty cheap - especially a 20. I say get one, and then put a hole in it. And try it out. You might like it, you might not. Shouldn't cost you more than $35.

This is good advice. Have one of each and pic a fave or switch back and forth every now and then just for kicks. (geddit? kicks? ... erm ... groan)

I play enough shows where the kick is mic'd and don't want to rely on a house sound guy getting anything good off an unported head. Also, I'm just lazy enough to not want to switch them around all the time. My kit does not live at home so I prefer playing it to futzing around with it when we have our little conjugal visits.

Like I said, I didn't like it when I tried it the other night, but then again, my kick's a 24" with a PS3 batter and Ambassador reso. Reso probably should have had a felt strip on it and that probably would have not only damped some of the overtones (which I don't mind), but it might have helped with the bouncy action off the batter (I often like to bury the beater). So I just did the ol' shoulder-shrug and cut a hole in it. Still has a lot of tone since there's no other dampening (though admittedly, not as much) and the action off the head is more to my liking.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yep, good idea! May have to do that.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep, good idea! May have to do that.
Heck, I think I have 20 clear power stroke 3 you can have if you wanna pay shipping. Let me know. I know I'm not using it anymore....
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Playing at home just go no port, unless you like really punchy dead bass drums, then they help a bit. I ported my kit because I mic a lot and like the sound when the mic is all up in there. However I use a kickport which gives back some of the unported rebound and sound. I definitely recommend for anyone with a ported reso, though it does react differently on every drum and some get little to no benefit.

My basic advice for anyone, don't port unless you mic your gigs. If you do, try a kickport, one of the few gimmicky products I truly was impressed with, made my kit sound like 1 instrument instead of a bunch of drums.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Heck, I think I have 20 clear power stroke 3 you can have if you wanna pay shipping. Let me know. I know I'm not using it anymore....
message me with shipping and where to send the payment and that sounds like a deal! But only if you promise to autograph it before you send it :)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

I am well aware that one can mic a bass drum that does not have a ported front head. We do that I our church, and it sounds great. However, when going to different acoustic environments, I prefer to mic a bass drum with a ported head. To each his/her own. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Silver Member

if your not gigging why port??? With a 20 theres no need.........
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

I'd only port if I was going to record it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

It really depends on what you want it to sound like. Basically non ported kicks go "boom" and ported kicks go "thwap". My 22x18 Renown came with an unported reso. It also came with an EMAD batter. Which is a really mixed thing, the dead EMAD with an ringy front head. I first pulled the foam ring out of the EMAD and it sounded much better. But the boom was so great that I could feel the drum vibrating though the pedal. So I relieved it with a port. I can still get some boom out of it by tuning the batter up higher. I replaced the EMAD with a SuperKick I had laying around and now it sounds more like Chad Smith than Ginger Baker. Which is what I wanted. Eventually I want to replace the batter with an EQ3 so I have more options on the open side of things.

My Safari kit has an unported reso head. With the tiny 16" kick, it needs the boom and sustain to carry into the room. Cutting a hole in that drum would make it nearly inaudible.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Mary, it's a choice thing. There's no best way. Using a non ported head affords you far greater playing choices. There's a big difference in sound between burying the beater & not, & that allows you to select totally different feels. I use 20" bass drums extensively, & porting is something I do for some applications, for some not. In a rock setting, if I need to mic the bass drum, I'll sometimes mic both heads. That gives me a lot of sound choices through a PA by balancing the slap of the batter head with the sustain of the front head.

Play what feels & sounds best to you. Mic'ing solutions can always be found to suit your taste, both live & recording.

As for general home playing, you will always get a more satisfactory sound & feel from a lightly ported head if you bury the beater 100% of the time, but learning to work with the choices that a full reso head offers, is a very worthwhile use of your practice time.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

So I have decided not to port for now. I do have a powerstroke batter head that I am going to try on the kick and see how that sounds. I meant to have changed out heads by now but have to decided to work with the stock head until I'm sure Ive gotten the full range of sound out of it so I can appreciate the difference of sounds when I do switch. Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

If you do decide to port it, you probably don't want to do it like this - LOL

When I bought this bop kit used, someone had cut a fairly big hole in it, and then put one of those Holz (sp?) things on it. Not sure if it's due to the small size or what, but it rattled and buzzed like crazy.
I thought I would do a temporary fix, and cut most of the head out. Haven't gotten around to getting a new head for it yet, but despite the really goofy look, it sounds good now.

Before and after pics. The second pic also shows a size comparison of the 18 w/riser (on the left) compared to the 20" (right side):
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 AM

Good thread...I had the same question...I will not port my head...now I just need to change the batter head..but yeah it's best to get used to the sound of the stock heads first and then upgrade for sure
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1503 View Post
Good thread...I had the same question...I will not port my head...now I just need to change the batter head..but yeah it's best to get used to the sound of the stock heads first and then upgrade for sure
You don't have to get used to the sound of the stock heads. When I bought an intermediate kit some time ago, I bought new heads for it before I brought it home and swapped them out. Unless it's an upscale kit, the stock heads will not be anything I'll like, so I just get what I always use and put those on. Then I'm happy ;)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
You don't have to get used to the sound of the stock heads. When I bought an intermediate kit some time ago, I bought new heads for it before I brought it home and swapped them out. Unless it's an upscale kit, the stock heads will not be anything I'll like, so I just get what I always use and put those on. Then I'm happy ;)
Well maybe because you already know what the stock heads sound like,I'm just starting and personally I would like to know how stock heads really compare with better quality heads...I want to know the different sounds and gain experience man :)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1503 View Post
Well maybe because you already know what the stock heads sound like,I'm just starting and personally I would like to know how stock heads really compare with better quality heads...I want to know the different sounds and gain experience man :)
Ah, then you'll only be doing this once ;)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah, then you'll only be doing this once ;)
True :) Even the stock heads supplied with high end kits & supposedly "made by" are typically crap. I must confess, I fail to understand the logic in these decisions. If you make a "high end" kit, surely you want it going out sounding it's best? - Apparently not, although they'll all deny that of course.

Buying all new heads (& yes, the reso's are just as important) is a significant cost, & should absolutely be taken into account when comparing kits to buy.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
True :) Even the stock heads supplied with high end kits & supposedly "made by" are typically crap. I must confess, I fail to understand the logic in these decisions. If you make a "high end" kit, surely you want it going out sounding it's best? - Apparently not, although they'll all deny that of course.

Buying all new heads (& yes, the reso's are just as important) is a significant cost, & should absolutely be taken into account when comparing kits to buy.
My 2012 Pearl masters came with all clear Remo ambassadors and Powerstroke bass heads. It cost around $300.00 +or- to put new heads on my kit thats a big number. I port my bass I think it mic's up better
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

And not to derail the thread a bit, but why do beginning players never budget for good cymbals as well?

And when people complain about spending hundreds for an entire new set of heads, you should realize that eventually you're gonna spend that money. If you were going to take the drums out on a gig, its doubtful you'd use the supplied stock heads.

Drumming is expensive, and if you're going to do it right, it will require a change in priorities. I suppose it's good that people are getting their feet wet, though.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

I think some lessons are just best learned on your own. Sometimes you have to experience the bad to know what the good sounds like. I haven't put my powerstroke head on yet (just haven't had the time) but will do so soon. Personally I need to know what the stock heads sound like so I can appreciate the differences.

I follow all kinds of theads on here about heads, pedals, etc. etc trying to gain information and knowledge but until I realize for myself what the low end equipment sounds like, I have no idea what I don't like about it or what to look for when I'm able to spend more money on something (does that make sense? I hope so). I'm not as technical about these things as some are, I guess.

I didn't spend much on ANYTHING as a noob because I wanted to make sure that it was something I was going to stick with before sinking a lot of money into a hobby. Admittedly, cymbals were the first things I replaced because I couldn't stand the sound of banging on tin cans (which is what my cheapies sounded like to me) but it also allowed me to appreciate the differences in the quality of cymbals and why the good ones are so much more expensive. Heck when I started...I didn't even know the difference between 'bright' and 'dark' cymbals, much less knowing which I wanted and which would best suit my needs for my style of drumming. It would have been silly for me to go out and spend a lot of money at that time on better cymbals just to end up with something I really didn't want.

Sure if you're out playing gigs or with a band where you want the sound quality the best I can understand the investments but for some of us, it's not only a matter of budget but learning from the ground up. And I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I don't know anything about so I need time to find out what sounds I'm looking for and what I should invest in to get those sounds.

Again, I don't know if any of this makes sense but I'm just trying to put it in the perspective of a noob who is trying to figure things out.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
I think some lessons are just best learned on your own. Sometimes you have to experience the bad to know what the good sounds like. .
I totally subscribe to this. IDK, sometimes I resent it when people try and "get to the head of the class" without putting in the required work, money and time into it. Getting a good drum tone takes a long time, it's nothing like a guitar where you can just buy a different pedal. I've spent many thousands of dollars on heads, hundreds of hours experimenting with different head combos and tunings, I practice the way I hit the drums on a regular basis, and expend much mental energy trying to play and sound good.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, because when I did most of my experimenting, there was no one to ask advice from, no internet. So I guess I can't blame them for trying to save some ag. But I do anyway lol. If you don't work hard for it, I'm sorry I don't think you deserve it, that's my personal feeling towards it. It's larger than that though. The experience you get from trying and failing gives you something you just can't get from not failing. In the end it's YOUR ears that need to be pleased. Mary this is not directed at you, I am in agreement with you that people need to experience things for themselves.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
The Old Hyde

If our own ears didnt like variety, there would only be one head. theres a reason each manufacturer has a number of heads to choose from. I recently bought a new ludwig snare and it came with a coated Ludwig head. It looks and feels like a remo emporer. I was about to change it to a Vintage Emperor but when I tuned it, it was perfect so im using the Ludwig head for this saturdays gig. As far as porting like this thread was in the first place, my bass had a small rough 4 inch hole already in it from the previouse owner. I just bought a Kick Port 2 for it. Mostly because I got a chrome one and it looks good on the black head with silver sparkle drums.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM

I am personally 100% against porting bass drums. The reso head is where all of the depth and low end comes from. And porting it will only sacrifice this depth.
If you can externally mic toms and snares without the need for a port, why not do the same for a kick?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Senior Consultant

For me, it depends upon what I'm playing. Fast double bass stuff means port the drum, playing in a rock club with a miked kit also means port it. Good luck in trying to get an average rock club sound man to want to deal with anything but a ported kick.

Funk, pop, lighter stuff I usually prefer the full reso head sound.

It's best to have more than one reso head.