DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Default Audio Interface for Recording Drums?

Hey, I've been researching a lot but I wanted to get an up-to-date opinion on what to get. I was going to wire in 7 XLR's and the guitar line ins for when my bassist and guitarist record as well into the UI and wanted to get each input on a separate track in my DAW (what will be Cubase). I just wanted to know what are the best Interfaces to handle all this and have the phantom power capable for the 2 condensers. My budget is to be under 250 but the cheapest would be best! What do you guys think I can get?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Audio Interface for Recording Drums?

Afraid to say for that for 250, you're not going to find anything worth buying.

If your computer has FireWire, this is my recommendation, it's a little over-budget but worth it:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/presonus-fir...o-project/5397

If it doesn't and it's a desktop tower, fitting it with a FireWire card shouldn't be too tricky (provided you have expansion space). Factor in around 20 extra for the FireWire card.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 AM

I picked up an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra for about $150 on eBay in great condition. There are 4 mic/line inputs in the front along with 6 line ins on the back. Only issue is, to use the first four inputs on the back, you'll need a direct box to use them. You can still use two of the rear inputs (lololol) to record, which are 5 and 6, because you can either record the front four inputs or the back four at the same time without a direct box.

I love mine as it gets the job done with 2 overheads, a kick, and a snare mic. Although I'll eventually be upgrading to a Presonus USB Interface with 8 mic/line inputs. If I were you, I'd shell out the extra money for the Presonus Firetube if you have firewire capability, or the USB version if you don't, like myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Afraid to say for that for 250, you're not going to find anything worth buying.

If your computer has FireWire, this is my recommendation, it's a little over-budget but worth it:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/presonus-fir...o-project/5397

If it doesn't and it's a desktop tower, fitting it with a FireWire card shouldn't be too tricky (provided you have expansion space). Factor in around 20 extra for the FireWire card.
+1

I have two of these, and they work great! It's nice to have two. A 4 piece band can lay bed tracks and have each input recorded!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

A few people here have mentioned using this: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tascam-us1800/43103
I don't have one, so can't vouch for it, but it sounds close to what you're looking for, within your budget.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

For what you want to do, get either the TASCAM 1800 or 2000 USB interface. I have the US-1641 (old version) and I have 8x XLR in (w/pre-amps), 2x direct-in/line-in (for guitar/bass), and 4x line-in (I have an external pre-amp going into these, so I have a total of 14x XLR inputs into my interface or combinations based on what I want to do).

Also has monitor out which I run into a headphone amp so up to 8 people can jam virtually soundless if that's what you want to do.

The US-1800 and US-2000 have the same inputs and go for about $300 (US).
Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

I have a us1800 and the cheap cad mic set and 1 sm57 (on the snare). Us1800 comes with cubase le5 and love using it. Here are some samples
http://m.reverbnation.com/artist/francoisburnot

I am not an audio engineer and stuff. I followed some lessons on YouTube and went from there.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
For what you want to do, get either the TASCAM 1800 or 2000 USB interface. I have the US-1641 (old version) and I have 8x XLR in (w/pre-amps), 2x direct-in/line-in (for guitar/bass), and 4x line-in (I have an external pre-amp going into these, so I have a total of 14x XLR inputs into my interface or combinations based on what I want to do).

Also has monitor out which I run into a headphone amp so up to 8 people can jam virtually soundless if that's what you want to do.

The US-1800 and US-2000 have the same inputs and go for about $300 (US).
Another 1641 owner here. I love mine, decent sound, cheep, it's been reliable and does everything I need. The only problem is, tascam makes sucky drivers. If you are using a windows PC ditch the stock drivers and use Asio4All, if you are on a mac, I have heard the drivers suck even harder.

The 1800 is the same as the 1641, but different styleing btw.