DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM

Default Pearl die-cast hoops

just a few questions what will happen if i put a die cast hoops for both side of my snare drum and what will be the pros and cons after putting that to my snare. currently i have a VP pearl snare
Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 AM

Default Re: pearl die-cast hoops

My experience with die-cast hoops is that they're a little easier to tune than "standard" hoops. I think they're supposed to add "attack and volume", but it's very subjective (I'm not hearing it).
Here's an old thread that casts some light on the subject: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/ar.../t-257789.html
Here's a youtube video that demonstrates the difference in sound between different hoops on the same snare drum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8eKfLFBCs

EDIT: I think die-cast hoops chew less sticks too... they're not as sharp and pointy as "standard" hoops.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl die-cast hoops

The sound will become a little more "pointed" and focused, definitely. You should also notice a big change in your rimshot sound. Personally, I have a snare with a die-cast hoop on the batter side and a 'regular' one on the bottom and I find that to really work well, but for ply shells, a die-cast on the bottom will help, especially at lower tunings.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pearl die-cast hoops

My Stewart Copeland came with a die cast batter rim and triple flange on the snare side.
I've found the die cast hoops dampen and control the ring. On the SC, I also added a snare side die cast, but that choked the hell out of it. Really dried it out, which surprised me since it is a thicker COB shell.

I did put die cast rims on both sides of my DW Collectors snare - strictly for more control than a plan ambassador, but without going back to an HD Dry head. That seemed to be the only drum that could withstand 2 die cast hoops without getting choked.