DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Tama Starclassic Mounts on Other Drums?

Can anyone confirm if the current Starclassic die-cast hoops/mounts (one piece in design with die-cast mount arc that bends around lugs--see attached picture) that are found on Starclassic Bubingas, Maples, and B/B kits would work on Pearl Masters shells (see attached picture of SSC lugs)? I know plenty of players have used Pearl's Opti-mounts on other kits--an alternative to RIMS system--but I am wondering if the Starclassic mounts/hoops would work on Pearl or even other shells?

The only qualifying factor I can foresee is the lug design and lug/tension rod spacing, but in the case of Pearl Masters kits or even the new SSC (session custom) kits, it seems like the Starclassic mounts would fit?

I would like to use the SC mount/hoops because I think they'll give more freeplay movement and resonance to the toms than the Opti-mount system.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tama Starclassic Mounts on Other Drums?

The only limiting factor I can think of is the possibility of the lugs on the Pearl being big enough to contact the SC mount, but unfortunately not a lot of people switch out isolation mounts like this so I don't know definitively- however, from the pictures and my experience with each type of lug, it looks like it'll fit fine.. As long as you get the matching die-cast hoops for each mount, it should work, but I'd try it out with the smallest tom to make sure, then get the 2nd one.