Snare strainer/throw-off options for Ludwig

Hi, I know there are some similar threads on this subject but I can't really find the answer I'm looking for.

My Ludwig P85 strainer has recently died (no surprises) and I'm looking into the alternatives. As far as I can see my only options are a replacement P85 or the Trick GS007 with retrofit plate (courtesy of Mike McGraw).
Is there anything else in between that would mount on a Ludwig 400?
Thanks,
Dunc

I believe there are a few P85 copies out there but that is all I can think of. what is your hole spacing?

Or will the P86 fit?

544581.jpg

538200.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided to go for the trick based on all the good things people have to say about it. Only thing is, when I spoke to Mike about ordering, he didn't have any ready to ship and I needed one pronto for a gig last night and the studio next week. So I got a P85, and guess what. It came lose during the gig. So I am gonna get a trick and sell this on!

If I were to do it over, I'd get the Retroplate, and a Dunnett. The Trick looks out-of-place on a Supra, IMO.

If I were to do it over, I'd get the Retroplate, and a Dunnett. The Trick looks out-of-place on a Supra, IMO.

Out of place or not, I think the Trick is the smoothest and most reliable throwoff out there. The Supra sounds great and the Trick brings peace of mind on the gigs.

Attachments

• trick supra 1.JPG
    trick supra 1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,508
The Dunnett R-Class is a great throwoff, sturdy and smooth, and it has adjustable mounting spacing. I retrofitted a Coliseum with one once, and so it should fit a Supra too.

I can dig up a pic of the Coliseum with the Dunnett on it, and post it later tonight.

Attachments

• Dunnett_throwoff.jpg
    Dunnett_throwoff.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 5,357
Here's my old Coliseum. The Dunnett looks great with all the chrome.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 7,579
Hello,
I'm looking to purchase a retrofit plate. How do I contact
Mike McGraw? I'm not able to locate him here on Drummerworld.
Thank you for your help!
John

Last edited:
I was under the impression that you could fit a P-86 in place of the P-85 without any adapters.
Is this correct?

Hi, I know there are some similar threads on this subject but I can't really find the answer I'm looking for.

My Ludwig P85 strainer has recently died (no surprises) and I'm looking into the alternatives. As far as I can see my only options are a replacement P85 or the Trick GS007 with retrofit plate (courtesy of Mike McGraw).
Is there anything else in between that would mount on a Ludwig 400?
Thanks,
Dunc

Hello Dunc,
The retrofit plate looks like a great way to change the strainer and butt plate without drilling into the shell. Just what I'm looking for! However, I'm not able to locate a Mike McGraw here on Drummerworld. Can you please direct me to his contact information?
Thank you sincerely!
John

I was under the impression that you could fit a P-86 in place of the P-85 without any adapters.
Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct. I made the P-85 to P-86 swap on my Supra in no time and without any trouble.

Hello Dunc,
The retrofit plate looks like a great way to change the strainer and butt plate without drilling into the shell. Just what I'm looking for! However, I'm not able to locate a Mike McGraw here on Drummerworld. Can you please direct me to his contact information?
Thank you sincerely!
John

He is member "skitch" on this forum.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/member.php?u=2831

Back