DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 AM

Default a quiet click when recording

hello.
I have a problem with recording drums.
I want to record with a metronome, but none of my headphones are good for this.
in-ear 'Cause even pain, and still do not hear click. Open headphones are drowned out by the drums.

I want to clearly hear the metronome, without disturbing the ears.

I'm thinking of :

-Extreme Isolation ex-25 or 29
-Vic Firth SIH1
are recommended for drummer

and AKG k77 if these headphones will isolate?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: a quiet click when recording

My GK-Music UltraPhones let me hear the click as loud as I want without it leaking into the mics, or as soft and the drums can be mixed where I loike them.

That's the beauty of isolation phones, getting the balance you want without anything leaking in to upset the mix.

www.gk-music.com

Extreme Isolation phones isolate well, they just don't sound as good. But they're half the price of the UltraPhones, and in this case, you do get what you pay for.

Bermuda
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

I have not had any problems hearing music with these headphones, or really any in particular.
But I've heard good things about the Vic isolation ones, and Bermuda knows what he's talking about, so if you need isolating headphones...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Like Bermuda, I also swear by the GK Ultra phones. They were the best investment I ever made over ten years ago.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM

thank you very much for the advice.
These headphones GK, look what I'm looking for, but unfortunately, there are two times more expensive than my suggestions.

abapicaltaenia said he has no problems with AKG K44.
This makes starting to wonder whether the K77 will work the same as Extreme Isolation?

I've heard that extreme isolation and Vic Firth have terrible sound.
And the AKG I use them in everyday life.

What do you think? Choose which of these 3?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM

The K44 and K77 are not isolation phones (I'm not aware that AKG offers isolation phones at all.) But as a drummer, that's what you need - the ability to isolate yourself from the drums so you can mix them, the music, and the click, at the levels you want.

I know that the Extreme Isolation is half the price of the UltraPhones, and probably sounds half as good. You'll eventually want UltraPhones anyway, so you'll actually be spending more by buying the one pair now, and the other later.

Don't cheap out when it comes to your comfort level when playing, just get the right phones from the start.

Bermuda
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM

I use the Vic Firth headphones and I think they're awesome. A lot of people like them, some people dislike them. But I definately think they're worth the price I paid for them.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 AM

Are these the kind of "in ear" phones you wear?

I use Shure SE215's and can wear them for 3 hours at a shot. $100 ish... Just a thought!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The K44 and K77 are not isolation phones (I'm not aware that AKG offers isolation phones at all.) But as a drummer, that's what you need - the ability to isolate yourself from the drums so you can mix them, the music, and the click, at the levels you want.

I know that the Extreme Isolation is half the price of the UltraPhones, and probably sounds half as good. You'll eventually want UltraPhones anyway, so you'll actually be spending more by buying the one pair now, and the other later.

Don't cheap out when it comes to your comfort level when playing, just get the right phones from the start.

Bermuda
Glad I read this thread. I'm in the process of buying my recording equipment and I was going to go with in ear monitors. I didn't give much thought to the importance of isolation until you brought it up. What you say makes so much sense and its going to save me a few hundred dollars to boot (splash cymbal coming up). I'm going with the GKs. Thanks

Animal Life Savers
Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

Bermuda
Amen on that Bermuda! Headphones are an investment just like your kit and that's the way you need to look at it. You are investing in protecting your hearing, which if it goes so does all the music you love to play. Buy once and buy right. Invest in a good pair and save money in the long run, they will last longer, sound better, isolate better and won't need to be replaced as often as cheaper ones will.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 AM

I'm glad I was able to make some sense on this tricky topic. It's not always easy to explain why spending more money is a good idea. Believe me, I wouldn't spend more either unless it was in my best interest!

Bermuda