DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM

Default Jojo Mayer sticks - tip breaks very easily

I love the feel of the Vic Firth jojo Mayer sticks, but the tips on them break so easily that I'm considering switching. What would you guys recommend for a similar stick but maybe a stronger wood?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jojo Mayer sticks- tip breaks very easily

I'm using them now and haven't had any tips break over the last few months. I'm not normally a real hard player but I don't play all soft music either.

I'm not sure about stronger but the stick feels similar to a 5B to me. The Mayers feel much more balanced then any off the shelf 5B's I've used. That's no surprise considering who is behind this model.

If you can find a 5B model in one of the stick manufacturers that would probably be your best bet. In your case, I wouldn't buy any maple sticks. Those are lighter in construction and feel and probably wouldn't last long if you are breaking tips.

The Firth signatures are usually pricey. However, if you are near a GC you can get them cheap through today(President's Day). I picked up some Firth Mayers and Carlocks for about $4.50 yesterday. They are usually $8-$9 off the shelf.

That sale ends today so I'd jump on it and buy a few pair if you are breaking tips easily.

It is possible this is a technique issue. You should be open to working through that. If you have an unnatural angle to your sticks or cymbals that could continue to cause problems no matter what sticks you are using. Just a thought. :)

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Understandable. but yeah I cant do maple sticks. They are just entirely too light and feel almost soft to me. Ive always been a big fan of the kashi oaks, but I dont like the tips, I like a little bit rounder of a tip (like the mayers). I'm absolutely not against the idea of this being a technique issue, but I just know I havent really had anything problems in the past.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Try anything Vater. I've been using their hickory and maple SD9's and they're awesome. Durable and with a great feel and balance. Switched from Vic Firth because the shoulders were breaking.... (the sticks' shoulders, not mine...)

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Jojo Mayer sticks - tip breaks very easily

I've noticed the same thing with multiple VF sticks...especially the Steve Jordan model. I don't break tips off, but I end up with chipped off "flats" where the open grain allows a vertical section to break away. Causes all sorts of inconsistencies in ride cymbal response as I hit on and off the "new flat" of the tip. it usually is not enough mass to change balance, so I end up knowing just by sound and rebound response.

If I spend the time to seek out "tighter grained" sticks, the problem is lessened.

So...you "Vater people"...have you seen any of the same things when using similarly-shaped tips?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Jojo Mayer sticks - tip breaks very easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingerJunkie View Post
I've noticed the same thing with multiple VF sticks...especially the Steve Jordan model. I don't break tips off, but I end up with chipped off "flats" where the open grain allows a vertical section to break away. Causes all sorts of inconsistencies in ride cymbal response as I hit on and off the "new flat" of the tip. it usually is not enough mass to change balance, so I end up knowing just by sound and rebound response.

If I spend the time to seek out "tighter grained" sticks, the problem is lessened.

So...you "Vater people"...have you seen any of the same things when using similarly-shaped tips?
I've broken maybe one tip out of 6-8 Vater sticks the way you describe. In my experience the Vic Firth tips are more fragile. Most of the time, the round wood tips of my Vater SD9's don't chip at all, but many of the VF wood tip sticks I've used have worn out the way you describe. Try a pair of Vater sticks. I did for the first time last year and I'm so satisfied!

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60