DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Default MIDI 101 - Yamaha DTX700 - Help

I have a DTX 700 module.

It has a MIDI in.

I have a late 90's Yamaha Clavinova Piano with a MIDI out. For that matter I have a Clavinova that a purchased a few years back with a MIDI out also.

I have never used MIDI in my life :(

If I purchased a MIDI cable and connect my pinao via the MIDI out and the DTX700 via the MIDI in, could I play the sounds on the DTX on my piano?

Does the sounds come through back through the piano or do the sounds come out of the DTX module?

Could someone be "drumming" on the DTX, with the piano connected at the same time drawing from the other sounds on the DTX module?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: MIDI 101 - Yamaha DTX700 - Help

You should definitely Google around for a 'MIDI 101' site and educate yourself. The basics are pretty straight forward but there are more complex elements eventually..

Quick answers

If an electronic unit (DTX700) has a MIDI In it means you can trigger (play) the sounds it produces (that you normally use pads to trigger) by using a MIDI controller (the Clavinova).

A MIDI Out (from the controller) connects via MIDI cable to the MIDI In to the sound source (the DTX700 brain). The Clavinova doesn't receive any routed audio so it doesn't produce any sounds the DTX700 has internally. MIDI and Audio are kind of like plumbing and electrical in a house. They may run next to each other via pipes/wiring but don't interact directly.

*Well....electricity CAN travel through water but ...that would be only bad news, dangerous and not normal.

What the Clavinova MIDI Out was originally designed for was triggering another MIDI keyboard sound source like a Korg or Roland synthesizer. If you had the Clavinova plugged into an amp and played a note of the keys it would make a normal sound expected. If you added a MIDI cable from the Clavinova to say a Roland Fantom X8 synth plugged into it's own amp (AND configured the settings correctly) and then played a key on the Clavinova, you'd hear both the Clavinova and Fantom making sounds simultaneously. If you disconnected the Clavinova from the audio input on the amp but left it powered up and connected via MIDI, you wold only hear the Fantom produce a note.

Now before you ask any more questions - please go read a MIDI primer and try to absorb the technology a bit. That way you'll be better prepared to ask the right questions. OK?

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM

This is perfect.

Thank you.

I looked at it a little like learning about a car. Do you start from the front, back, sides, under the hood, exhaust ... it was a little overwhelming.

I thought I would describe a little bit what I was trying to accomplish, then hopefully someone in the know could say ... "For that you need to start from the left side."

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

The most basic error that a lot of people that are new to MIDI make is an assumption that MIDI carries audio. MIDI does not produce any sounds of its own - it is purely a data link.

MIDI sends a series of numbers (channel, note length, velocity, note value and (sometimes) aftertouch) to an interpreter that then turns that data into audio. The conversion can take place inboard (e.g. in your Clavinova - lovely electric piano by the way) or can be sent to an external interpreter, as Shedboyxx points out.

If you want to trigger sounds using the module on your Yamaha there is no reason why you couldn't. MIDI out on the Clavinova to MIDI in on the Yamaha unit. You could even do this the other way around so that the drums trigger the sounds on the piano. The main problem that a lot of new users run into here is setting the right MIDI channel on the MIDI receiver.

MIDI uses data channels (like channels on a mixing desk) because it is designed to be used on a number of different devices at once, linked together.

Theoretically, you could daisy-chain your piano to your drums and then into another device (say, a synthesiser) and if the channels were set up correctly then only be able to trigger notes on the piano from the drums, even though the data is sent to two external devices.

What you need to do is to make sure that the Yamaha unit is set to receive MIDI on the right channel. Check the MIDI output channel on the Clavinova (probably defaults to channel 1) and set the drums to receive the same channel. Percussion is usually set to channel 10 by default so it's likely that your Yamaha unit is set up to receive from channel 10. Change it to whatever the default output on the Clavinova is (probably channel 1) and you'll be good to go.

Make sense?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM

This is really good too. Thank you.

If I am lucky, I will be able to pick up a MIDI cable today.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoak View Post
This is really good too. Thank you.

If I am lucky, I will be able to pick up a MIDI cable today.
Great.

Let us know how it goes.