DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Here's how I roll!

So now that I have cases for my Zep kit (a nice mix of Ahead Armor cases, Protection Racket cases, and the odd vulcanized fibre case for good measure), I wanted to show you how I roll. Those of you who have been on the fence about getting a rolling cart, I think there's a strong concensus of those of us who recommend getting a cart. I've been rolling this same Rock n Roller cart now for just about 16 years (in fact, I bought the one you see in the picture when they first came out - mine is gray with red handles - which was the original colors. Now they make them in black and yellow).

But anyway, the pictures below show you that I can get my entire kit (pictured first) on the cart and roll it in in one trip. So I no longer worry about pulling up to the venue to unload and then go park the car. I just go find a parking spot and roll in.

The kit pictured is my abbreviated zep kit (what I call the 'Ludwig Safari'), and here's a listing of what's carried:

16x26 bass drum
16x16 floor tom
9x13 tom
6.5x14 Supraphonic

Zildjian 24" K light ride
Zildjian 18" A thin crash
Zildjian 15" A New Beats

The big trap case gets:

Bass pedal
Hi-hat (Tama RoadPro)
floor tom legs
curved spurs
throne (DW5000)
stick bag
cowbell (a big LP mambo bell)
tambourine (one of those nice half-moon ones)

The hardware bag (a CLC power tool bag I picked up at the Home Depot for $25 - super tough) gets:

(2) Pearl 900 straight cymbal stands
Pearl 900 snare stand
Yamaha 7-series snare stand

I split the hardware up in two because the trap case would be too heavy with everything in it, so I'm being nice to my back. Plus being 5 feet tall and loading into a Ford F-150 pickup is not the easiest thing to do.

If I want to add the 18" floor tom, I have a vulcanized fiber case for that, and in that instance, I'll be creative with the stacking, or just put the drums on the rolling cart, and roll the hardware separate since the trap case has its own wheels and can carry the hardware bag as well.

If the weather is really agreeable, I can go sans drum bags if necessary. But since the clear lacquer appears to be cracking (very lightly) I don't want to leave the drums in the sun for too long (my truck is an open pickup). Hope this helps in your decision to cart or not to cart!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Here's how I roll!

That's great until you hit a flight of stairs. One trip does rock though.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
That's great until you hit a flight of stairs. One trip does rock though.
One word Larry. Minions.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Anthony Amodeo

looks a lot like my situation.....just much smaller drums on my end

nothing better than Racket bags in my opinion

the quality of their manufacturing is unparalleled
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

That certainly does seem like the way to go. I have a hand truck that can convert to a cart, but I do not use it much. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
If the weather is really agreeable, I can go sans drum bags if necessary. But since the clear lacquer appears to be cracking (very lightly) I don't want to leave the drums in the sun for too long (my truck is an open pickup). Hope this helps in your decision to cart or not to cart!
I don't think that I would even load my drums into my pickup without them being in their bags. No matter how carefully I move them there's always the potential for scratches and dings. The bags don't really add that much weight to the equation.

I keep my stands set to the height I'll be playing them at. I find it saves a lot of time when setting up my kit at gigs. I used to use my old Navy sea bag but after a while the canvas started ripping. I replaced it with the same size bag from the army/navy store. I built a plywood box that fits inside. It's heavy as sin when it's filled, but fortunately I only have to lift it from the small platform cart to my tailgate.

I have a gig tomorrow and it will be the first time with my New Rock N Roller cart. I plan on pushing the hardware cart with one hand and pulling the Rock N Roller with my other. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

That hardware rig is pretty ingenious. From this view, it does look pretty damn heavy.
F'n smart though.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for posting pictures, I like seeing how others roll gear in.

I have a RnR cart like Isits too, very very handy! And it can go up/down stairs since it has curved rails on the bottom to facilitate that.

Bo, obvious question, but do you disassemble your top hi-hat rod from the base when storing it in the vulcan case? I have Tama stand too.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
Thanks for posting pictures, I like seeing how others roll gear in.

I have a RnR cart like Isits too, very very handy! And it can go up/down stairs since it has curved rails on the bottom to facilitate that.

Bo, obvious question, but do you disassemble your top hi-hat rod from the base when storing it in the vulcan case? I have Tama stand too.
Yes I do, but the bottom half the stand I don't disconnect the pedal. I just fold up the legs and it stands up in the trap case in the compartment meant for a snare drum. Then the seat top goes in on top of that.