DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Huge fan, love the playing, the writing, the wisdom, the humor of this man. Great influence on my playing, and my attitude toward music in general. Play what you love, not what sells. Push yourself to be the best you can be, don't rest on your laurels.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 AM

Had to comment, even though this thread has been around for ages. I enjoy listening to Peart even now, although it's different that when I listened 25 years ago.

One of the things that people touch on over and over again is his consistency of delivery. But while I am sure he vamped a lot when they were writing and testing out new songs, there is something else at play here. One of the things I really respect about Neil is his composition of the drum track. By his own admission, he scores his own work like a dancer or ice skater would learn a new routine. It's all about telling the story, no different than how the vocalist or guitarist tells it. I learned from him that scoring a part can help transport the listener or it can hinder them. There are rules within music theory as well as popular music. They are important because they are the history of vocabulary by which you start telling your story. Do you push the song or do you pull it? Straight time, double time or half time? All of these choices play into the mood you create for the listener. He builds his groove, building his fills as well and sometimes breaking down the groove altogether the second time through. Others known for progressive styles have tried this. Some succeeded and some failed in their telling of the story. It is that grasp of the theory and history of drumming that excites me when I hear Neil.

The other thing that impressed me is that he has continued to seek out others who would help him hone his craft. Even after all these years, he continues to look up other drummers who might help him learn a thing or two.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaypearldrumsfl View Post
Subdivisions........................be cool or be caaaaaast oouuuuuuut.

Signals.....my favorite....I lost track after the "nut & bolt " CD...lol.....
Found this drum-only camera video of him. I'd forgotten just how physically hard he strikes the drums.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MavlwR1z6hE

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 02-05-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM

He has said in the past he pretty much hits them as hard as he can!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
He has said in the past he pretty much hits them as hard as he can!
i don't think that is the case all..... especially after studying with Freddie Gruber
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Maybe he was telling porky pies then!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 AM

Default Neil Peart

Any comments on Neil Peart?

He is one of my favs, and considered one of the greatest drummers.

If you want, check out the book "Taking center stage." One of my fav drum books.

My fav rush songs include "Tom Sawyer", "Subdivisions", "Spirit Of The Radio" and "Fly By Night". But my two absolute favs are "Presto" and "Bravado". I also like "The Trees" and "New World Man".
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM

I think the thing that I am most impressed with by Neil Peart is how his drum solos evolved over the years, I have the R30 dvd (is it Der Troemlerr?) and there are parts of that, crafted, piece which were in his work back in the day.
I haven't seen Anatomy of...but I should imagine it's real interesting. PLUS his work with Buddys band, plus the fact that he changes between grips...great drummer.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 AM

Here is a video to check out. It is it a Neil Peart drum solo, filmed from the David Letterman show in June 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meJ55HPJ3xs

I like the book "Taking Center Stage" feat. Neil Peart

Last edited by Arky; 07-21-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM

The thing about Neil is that you won't hear a simple rock beat repeat for the whole song. He has his ways of changing it up. R30 Overture is one of my favourites just because of the mix of songs. I've always been a fan of his ride pattern from spirit of radio, subdivisions etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Overture View Post
The thing about Neil is that you won't hear a simple rock beat repeat for the whole song. He has his ways of changing it up. R30 Overture is one of my favourites just because of the mix of songs. I've always been a fan of his ride pattern from spirit of radio, subdivisions etc.
Neil Peart is the god of all Gods in drumming, however, i am not sure what you say is true when I hear his drumming, he seems to play exactly like it was recorded and he wants everything written as well...i am not saying thats bad....
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Happy Birthday Neil

Bonzolead
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Pioneer Member

From Billboard (http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...sessions-video).

"Rush's Neil Peart Fills It Up In Vertical Horizon 'Instamatic' Sessions: Video Exclusive"
Old 11-02-2014, 01:23 AM

Newfound appreciation for Peart here. I've read criticisms that his playing is too mechanical, nevertheless it's perfect for Rush. Anything else would sound too generic, or too aggressive, or just out of place, etc etc.

I do a lot of improvising to many kinds of music (just for practice). When I try this with Rush it sounds rediculous. Stray too far from Neil's style and it just does not work with their music. And nailing the drums as written really is enjoyable for me, more so than any other band.

Listening to Peart has possibly improved my own playing more than anything else. While I don't actually play like him, I certainly have incorporated much of his style.

Last edited by bud7h4; 11-02-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Rebel

Peart fits perfect for Rush... simple as that!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:31 AM

I'm a Rush fan and a Neil Peart fan. I kinda lost interest in Rush with Roll The Bones and never really gravitated toward anything after.

In recent year's I've come to like Neil's more fluid playing style and the changes he started to make after the Burning for Buddy stuff and Buddy Rich memorial show he participated in. He really saw his own playing limitations while working on that stuff and observing top shelf players.

He's much more fluid than before and doesn't just power his way through everything like before. He'll never be a Dennis Chambers or Steve Smith, but you can really see the progression in his playing and technique.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

objectively, I think Neil really created a new and large vocabulary based around what fit Rush . Of course he borrowed, but his early playing style and even now is quite verbose. Personally, I love it and am not worthy :-)

I don't think he can really be compared to anyone else....better, worse, equal....does not matter, he developed an outstanding kind of different.

When you really objectively think about the three greatest known drummers of the last 50 or 60 years...and you look at originality, innovation, ability and library it's hard not to say Buddy, Bonzo, Neil.

Neil is/was a very concise, accurate and loud talking drummer with very distinctive parts.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post

When you really objectively think about the three greatest known drummers of the last 50 or 60 years...and you look at originality, innovation, ability and library it's hard not to say Buddy, Bonzo, Neil.
That's interesting because I wouldn't put Bonham or Peart in that type of class. Maybe Buddy since he was ridiculously skilled and admired.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Peart fits perfect for Rush... simple as that!
I agree... He perfectly fits in Rush...he is the professor, the best talented drummer in my honest opinion.

but he never fits for any Who songs....his playing of the Who cover songs does sound more defined and clearer and not "sloppier" and more lively like Moonies works..
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
I agree... He perfectly fits in Rush...he is the professor, the best talented drummer in my honest opinion.

but he never fits for any Who songs....his playing of the Who cover songs does sound more defined and clearer and not "sloppier" and more lively like Moonies works..
Very true...Keith Moon cannot be recreated; what an original, bombastic and unique voice. He was a real gift to the drumming community.

Of course old Keith would not have a snowball's chance recreating the Professor's unique and challenging works either. By definition that makes them both stand out even more and means each had/has their own very unique voice.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
That's interesting because I wouldn't put Bonham or Peart in that type of class. Maybe Buddy since he was ridiculously skilled and admired.

Well how does one measure originality? I know one thing, I can tell Neil Peart's drumming instantly. Add to the technical skills and maybe he does fit that category. John Bonham as well. I'd have to think about other drummers. You can tell Keith Moon's drumming easily as well. But I do not view him as technically strong as the others mentioned.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 PM

Shemp..i agree with you....all drummers are unique and all are good ..i dont see any drummer that bores me in any studio recorded Rock Music..unless it is some sampling or robotic .... ....Moonie would never in his life would be able to play along an AC/DC track or a Rush Track so precisely..or even called to sit in for Steely Dan.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post

Neil has mentioned many times in interviews Moon is one of his biggest influences, and but he once joined a band that played Who covers and he found he hated playing like Moon.

Which I get. I love listening to Peart, but I don't much care for playing like Peart. And I love Moon, but trying to play his style is exhausting.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
Well how does one measure originality? I know one thing, I can tell Neil Peart's drumming instantly. Add to the technical skills and maybe he does fit that category. John Bonham as well. I'd have to think about other drummers. You can tell Keith Moon's drumming easily as well. But I do not view him as technically strong as the others mentioned.
I think of many other drummers as "top 3 all-around" before Neil, but I really do like some of Rush's music.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I think of many other drummers as "top 3 all-around" before Neil, but I really do like some of Rush's music.
It's certainly subjective to a degree from a drummer's perspective as they evaluate a drummer and try to see who is the "best"...there is no best, but when you look at popularity, longevity and originality though; Neil is very likely in the top 3 if not top 1.

There is no "better" drummer at that level...they are all pros and fantastic drummers...I don't care if Neil "can't play" jazz or buddy can't play funk and all that horse puckey and ridiculous nonsensical drivel (Can Tom Brady play RB or Wideout?)....

Peart was/is wildly original, talented and has an enormous vocabulary of drum parts and library of work...undeniable.

The masses he has influenced are at least equal to Buddy and Bonzo if not more...although I recognize there is no Neil Bash or Burning for Peart :-)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 AM

Agreed that Peart is an amazing and hugely influential rock drummer, and a phenomenal drummer for Rush. I'm a huge Rush fan and have seen them in concert many times.

Popularity, originality, and longevity, if they are your metrics, then Peart has a place, but I think there are others who at least rival him even on those metrics, outside of Buddy Rich and Bonzo (Billy Cobham, Phil Collins, and Dave Grohl are a few that immediately come to mind).

Not sure if you were being serious, but Buddy definitely can lay it down and funk it up if needed. But Peart can't play jazz, or even really swing for that matter, which is painfully obvious on those Buddy Rich memorial concerts. The greats can excel across genres.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt2 View Post
Agreed that Peart is an amazing and hugely influential rock drummer, and a phenomenal drummer for Rush. I'm a huge Rush fan and have seen them in concert many times.

Popularity, originality, and longevity, if they are your metrics, then Peart has a place, but I think there are others who at least rival him even on those metrics, outside of Buddy Rich and Bonzo (Billy Cobham, Phil Collins, and Dave Grohl are a few that immediately come to mind).

Not sure if you were being serious, but Buddy definitely can lay it down and funk it up if needed. But Peart can't play jazz, or even really swing for that matter, which is painfully obvious on those Buddy Rich memorial concerts. The greats can excel across genres.
I would say Cobham is a drummers drummer....he has no where near the mass popularity of Peart....or albums sold or face recognition, etc. Grohl is also very popular and a very solid drummer....but not in the same dimension as Peart in terms of drumming vocabulary.

There are folks....on here even...that have questioned buddy in the Rock and funk domains....I sure do not question buddy on anything; I still don't see anyone with his snare chops and clarity of notes and rolls or sequences.

Again though, I don't need buddy to play like Neil or vice versa for them to be great....to be honest....I've watched all the burning for buddy stuff and as great as all of the drummers are, I don't hear any of them playing things like Time Check with same groove and mojo as buddy. To my ears it is not there with any of the guys playing those tunes....in comparison to buddy that is.

I don't care if Neil cannot swing and I think that has been overstated to death....he doesn't need to....he really created his own language.....very precise, killer tones, a library of fills and sequences that is mind boggling.....and he has countless disciples that are the best of the best in the younger generations....the influence is unquestionable.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 AM

what about guys like Ringo, Travis Barker, and Gene Krupa; plenty of popularity, longevity, and originality on display.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
...there is no best, but when you look at popularity, longevity and originality though; Neil is very likely in the top 3 if not top 1.
Sure Buddy, Neil and Bonzo are three of the biggest names to non-drummers. I can see that argument. Let's look from a drummers perspective, though. That's where the argument would end for me.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Agreed. as far as "all-around" drummers, I think we need to look at more drummers that are not tied to one band, ie..Steve Gadd, Keith Carlock, Dennis Chambers....etc..
Iron Cobra
Gibralter
Pro-Mark
Shure
Audix
Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

After owning (and watching a couple times) his video called Taking Center Stage, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guy. Not that I didn't before, but seeing him in that video helped me to better understand where his music comes from and how he developed his style and arrangements.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Neil's known for being a heavy hitter, as mentioned many times here. And wouldn't you know it, when I'm playing rush covers I play his songs the same way; harder and with more snap than most other music.

His drumming is just somehow written that way, lol. It just feels like snap! pow! If I intentionally hold back it feels wrong, I'm no longer in there, I'm just playing to the song, not playing the song.