DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Another "drum cases" thread?! SKB hardware cases

Hey all!

I've recently purchased a full set of SKB cases for my kit. After years of using their cymbal cases and a snare case, I decided I didn't want to move my old Ludwigs in anything but SKB anymore.

So with drum cases out of the way, that leaves hardware cases open for debate.

I would like to stick with SKB (love that lifetime warranty) unless I find a much better option elsewhere.

Here's what I want to put in the case

3 flat based cymbal stands
1 flat based snare stand
1 single braced hi hat stand
1 heavy duty snare stand
1 heavy duty throne base
Pork Pie round throne seat
stick bag
2 single bass drum pedals (main and backup)
cowbell/towel, small accessories that don't fit in stick bag/perhaps a practice pad

I want everything to be able to go in the case. The bag I've been using only fits my stands, and it became almost unusable after only a year of traveling with it... it's been on its last legs for a couple years now.

My options I'm looking at include:

SKB mid-size hardware case. Attractive price, but I have to disassemble my hi hat stand and I don't think my throne seat will fit in. (Any experience to the contrary?)

SKB Trap X1 - Price makes me cringe (but it's a lifetime buy at least), but I know I can fit EVERYTHING in there. I still have to disassemble my hi hat stand though.

Or finally, the SKB Large stand case. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...se-with-wheels
Price is also scary, but it seems long enough and wide enough to put the throne seat in as well as leave my stands fully extended. I have no experience to confirm my guesses, so anyone who does I'd appreciate the input.

However, I've read that these aren't made as well as the other two, and I think that stand may be kind of overkill for my mostly flat base, light weight stands.

Opinions? Other options? Thanks y'all!

Horseburner
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Another "drum cases" thread?! SKB hardware cases

I have the XL skb case. We call it " the coffin". It will fit a ton of hardware. All my stands, pedals, and throne fit broken down. I have old sofa fusion foam loose to keep things from rattling. I can take a picture of it if you want. It's rain proof and solid.

I bought the case second hand and the wheels broke. I sent it back to skb and they gave me a new one. I'm going on 6 years with the new case and its still going strong.

If you have a car it may be too big. I have a F150 truck and i lay it parallel to the tailgate.

With what hardware you described, it should all fit.

Let me know if you want pictures.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 AM

Pictures would be great actually. Thanks man!

Horseburner
Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 AM

I have been tossing around the idea of building my own gear case, and I actually consided building it up to look like a coffin. I drive a black SUV and It would be kinda cool rollin out a coffin and having the band carry it in like a coffin.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

I got one of the $300 SKB cases second hand for, like, $50. I used it twice for musicals when I had to haul all kinds of percussion instruments. I couldn't imagine using that thing on a regular basis for drum kit hardware. If you want a quality, easy-to-haul SKB hardware case, check out the SKB Freedom hardware case. You can leave your stands (including hi hat stand) mostly set up. As for me, I go lightweight and compact with my hardware...check out the link in my signature to the thread for my kit.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, but I ended up going with the TrapX1 case. Found it on a good sale with free shipping, it's got room for everything for sure, and the lifetime warrnty is hard to beat.

Stoked.

Horseburner