DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Default Gibraltar Tubes

I've got a Gibraltar rack with a whole bunch of the long and short boom arms (SC-LBBT and SC-SBBT). It's a real disappointment to see that the vertical tubes that connect to the rack bend so easily. I only tighten my hardware to the point of securely holding things together, and I've got bent tubes. Also, I have indentations on my rack...although I don't over-tighten anything on it, there's obviously a point where you need to tighten down clamps to hold toms in place (even using double memory collars)!

Anyone else have problems like this? It's a real disappointment...I think Gibraltar's quality has always been stellar, but maybe they're just using cheaper materials now (thinner tubes) to cut costs and keep prices low?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Gibraltar Tubes

I have a gibraltar rack as well, and it rocks. Mine is old, though. maybe they are cutting back on metal to reduce costs, although I hope not. Gibraltar has been a favorite of mine for years. The dimpling in the metal is inevitable. When you tighten clamps down, it's gonna happen. But bending is an issue. You buy these new? Maybe somebody swapped a cheaper brand on ya??
Gibraltar
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM

Nah, they were new. I think the material is just cheaper now. I have some stands from the late 1980s and they're really well built.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM

I picked up some Swingnut double-braced stands to mount my Velvetone rack toms on. They are not that old but the tubing is denting after tightening everything. My Tama Roadpro hardware has no such dents even though I've had them for 10 years. Gibraltar offers cheaper hardware solutions. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM

I hate when companies do that. I also have a Pearl Icon rack for my Gretsch, I demoted the Gibraltar to my V-drums, and those are great!!
Gibraltar
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Gibraltar hardware leaves much to be desired. I’ve bought a few pieces over the years, and they all break or cause damage to cymbals.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Since 1999 I have been using the same Dixon hardware, which is made by Kayman the same company that supplies Gibraltar, Worldmax, some Ludwig and several others as well. I have never had an issue with any of it and have been playing it and giging it steady since I bought it with not even so much as 1 single repair, not even to the pedals.